** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Last night my team won in a 3v3 after my main base was destroyed in the first 10 minutes. I rebuilt from an expansion, very satisfying. But yeah a lot of bitches in the game, like everywhere else.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
How do you leave a game while it's counting down? I had like 4 people do that at the same time during one game. Are they just disconnecting?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wow, battle.net really is comprised of spazzes. Either that or their schedule is so hectic that they can't clear the next 20 seconds for sitting in a lobby.

Which is funny cuz the average guy spends hours at a time in the game doing dozens of matches in a row.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
you skipped silver and went straight to bronze? :eek: that sucks, man.

So I got placed in Plat (rank 100, though). Handily beat my first four placements, but lost the last one to a Plat rank 4 who cannon harassed me at the beginning, got me distracted, then zealot rushed me FTL -_-. It was mostly my fault for being greedy and trying to wall at my expo door instead of my main ramp on Steppes. My average APM is hitting around 60-70, which sounds kind of low, but it's still been higher than everyone I played so far. I really do need to work on my transition to mid-game tech, though, as well as openers other than 4-gate... lol. It is fun crushing opponents within the first 10 minutes with a strong 4-gate push, though.

I'll probably online later this afternoon/tonight. If anyone wants to play 2v2s, hit me up and we'll rub a couple out :sneaky:

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
you skipped silver and went straight to bronze? :eek: that sucks, man.

So I got placed in Plat (rank 100, though). Handily beat my first four placements, but lost the last one to a Plat rank 4 who cannon harassed me at the beginning, got me distracted, then zealot rushed me FTL -_-. It was mostly my fault for being greedy and trying to wall at my expo door instead of my main ramp on Steppes. My average APM is hitting around 60-70, which sounds kind of low, but it's still been higher than everyone I played so far. I really do need to work on my transition to mid-game tech, though, as well as openers other than 4-gate... lol. It is fun crushing opponents within the first 10 minutes with a strong 4-gate push, though.

I'll probably online later this afternoon/tonight. If anyone wants to play 2v2s, hit me up and we'll rub a couple out :sneaky:

My friend and I had someone try to cannon rush us earlier, but luckily enough, I went fast Barracks and was able to halt it pretty quickly. The unfortunate part is that the map was one of those combined ramp maps, so we couldn't simply attack Protoss (given his weak state) unless I made Reapers.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
We need a petition to punish players who leave in the first minute of a game.

I am not fucking kidding.
This shit is getting real old, even worse if we lose and I slip down 20 notches.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
Lost Temple - ZvT - Passive.SC2Replay

I'm still pretty bad, but if you play it at 8x and watch the minimap my creep spread is getting decent. I don't have enough APM to use overlords to spread it quicker yet, but I'll get there.

List of things I could do better in this game:

• Make more drones, I should have about 20-30 more to support more than 2 bases
  • Start upgrades sooner, I was only at 1/1 by the end of the game
  • Stay on top of queen macro, I let 3-4 injects slip per hatch
  • Scout more, even though MMM is most likely after I scouted the second barracks I need to be scouting to adjust my unit composition
  • Use overlords to spread creep quicker
  • Mix in infestors for MMM and start a spire just in case
  • Make more drones

I'm a diamond level player, but that is a pretty hefty list of things to screw up. Helps to show how large of a difference there is between the bottom and top of diamond.

Yeah the opponent sucks, I know.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
frustrating, had a few easy games. Easy meaning I played as always but my opponents weren't that great. Probably because of that I got "re-evaluated" by the "ranking engine" to a higher "hidden level" and suddenly was facing platinum opponents only (I'm in gold).

Got beaten pretty badly several times (3-4). Were those kind of games I already now I'm gonna loose but opponnent waited forever to actually finish the job. What do you do in these situations? Just leave?

What also happens often is that opponent semi-turtles (also toss). There was a platinum toss that secured his ramp with cannons and had sentries (force field). So no chance to win by attacking so I expanded. Could have waited few minutes longer. And then it always ends the same they attack and because of the expansion (nexus and probes) i have less army and lose.
I know I should do something but no idea what.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
frustrating, had a few easy games. Easy meaning I played as always but my opponents weren't that great. Probably because of that I got "re-evaluated" by the "ranking engine" to a higher "hidden level" and suddenly was facing platinum opponents only (I'm in gold).

Got beaten pretty badly several times (3-4). Were those kind of games I already now I'm gonna loose but opponnent waited forever to actually finish the job. What do you do in these situations? Just leave?

What also happens often is that opponent semi-turtles (also toss). There was a platinum toss that secured his ramp with cannons and had sentries (force field). So no chance to win by attacking so I expanded. Could have waited few minutes longer. And then it always ends the same they attack and because of the expansion (nexus and probes) i have less army and lose.

when u expand drop extra warpgates as the increased mineral production should let you support creating a bigger army very quickly. Watch the 2 most recent day9 dailies, he goes over warpgate and expansion timing as toss.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
when u expand drop extra warpgates as the increased mineral production should let you support creating a bigger army very quickly. Watch the 2 most recent day9 dailies, he goes over warpgate and expansion timing as toss.

I've been pretty religious about the whole "expand when you attack" thing and it seems to work fairly well so far, but it always has me a bit worried if my attack fails and it just leaves my expansions relatively open :\.

I watched the one today about decision making, but I'm not 100% sure if I got anything out of it. He also seems to hate people just Reaper jumping, but heck... the reason I go Reapers in 2v2 is because the other players wall off almost every match (given you run into very few Zerg opponents), and Reapers give you the only method of attack other than dropping, warping or just going air.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Was he playing srsly/was it actually 'thelittleone'?

That's pretty awesome if so... and post us a replay :)

no, it wasn't really him. it was really someone who spoofed his name, i think. they were still pretty decent, but we ended up beating them.

what's a good website to upload replays?

Last edited:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

wait for him to attack, beat his army, then expand?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I've been pretty religious about the whole "expand when you attack" thing and it seems to work fairly well so far, but it always has me a bit worried if my attack fails and it just leaves my expansions relatively open :\.

I watched the one today about decision making, but I'm not 100% sure if I got anything out of it. He also seems to hate people just Reaper jumping, but heck... the reason I go Reapers in 2v2 is because the other players wall off almost every match (given you run into very few Zerg opponents), and Reapers give you the only method of attack other than dropping, warping or just going air.

yea 2v2 is a different beast and generally strats can be abused as it's not really balanced around 2v2.

no, it wasn't really him. it was really someone who spoofed his name, i think.

yea the whole multiple names with different id#'s makes it so you can't really tell if you are playing against an actual "famous" player or not.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
yea the whole multiple names with different id#'s makes it so you can't really tell if you are playing against an actual "famous" player or not.

we probably would have gotten steamrolled in the first 10 minutes if we were playing the real one.

what's a good website to upload replays?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Even if it was really him, anyone can get surprised by a proxy or some other cheese if you lapse on your scouting. Not to mention that they're probably doing 2v2 for fun with a friend.