** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Anyone still playing?

How do you feel about the balance lately? Everyone out there still complains about OP mules, OP marines, OP tanks, OP thors, OP ravens, OP ghosts, OP planetary, OP helions, etc,etc, and still the terran looses most TvZ out there and nearly half of TvP's.

People always bring this crap up, that most grandmasters play terran, so they know from this that the terran is OP. They don't consider that maybe most people are comfortable playing terran rather than something else. I mean, why are the others playing zerg/protoss if terran would give them the upper hand? Because they're dumb and like punishment? Don't think so.

Protoss can chronoboost entire armies and tech out the door, the gateways teleport units wherever you have a pylon or warp prism, collossi walk on water, phoenix/voids pretty much destroy anything, observers chill in the opponent base and/or with the opponent's army,immortals just got longbows from Blizzard, not that they were helpless before, shields are regenerating at zero cost if you don't factor time in, upgrades just got cheaper AND they can be chronoboosted, therefore faster than any other race, warp prisms just got battlecruiser upgrade and, unlike the medivac, they can warp in entire armies behind your mineral line while you defend the front like an idiot.

Zerg players would never need map hacks, and throw armies at their opponents, without caring much about the outcome, they have the fastest units above, on and under the ground, they have minimum one queen for each hatchery out there, and yeah, I even heard a complaint from an idiot saying the queens take from supply. I understand him, it's not like they can inject 4 larva per hatch every 40 sec, or place creep tumors that give vision, or heal the allied units AND structures at the cost of everlasting energy( Darth Sidious anyone?), all this while being AA support and quite decent base defence early game.

Mutalisks pretty much owns the map, regardless of the opponent's plans and dreams, banelings carefully avoid doing splash damage to own units, like they should care(they're dead afterwards anyway), ultralisks move like a live wall, and only take 55 sec to build, of course, it's not like any zerg player has 100 larva till their time comes.

/flamesuit

/rant

Last edited:

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Anyone still playing?

How do you feel about the balance lately? Everyone out there still complains about OP mules, OP marines, OP tanks, OP thors, OP ravens, OP ghosts, OP planetary, OP helions, etc,etc, and still the terran looses most TvZ out there and nearly half of TvP's.

People always bring this crap up, that most grandmasters play terran, so they know from this that the terran is OP. They don't consider that maybe most people are comfortable playing terran rather than something else. I mean, why are the others playing zerg/protoss if terran would give them the upper hand? Because they're dumb and like punishment? Don't think so.

Protoss can chronoboost entire armies and tech out the door, the gateways teleport units wherever you have a pylon or warp prism, collossi walk on water, phoenix/voids pretty much destroy anything, observers chill in the opponent base and/or with the opponent's army,immortals just got longbows from Blizzard, not that they were helpless before, shields are regenerating at zero cost if you don't factor time in, upgrades just got cheaper AND they can be chronoboosted, therefore faster than any other race, warp prisms just got battlecruiser upgrade and, unlike the medivac, they can warp in entire armies behind your mineral line while you defend the front like an idiot.

Zerg players would never need map hacks, and throw armies at their opponents, without caring much about the outcome, they have the fastest units above, on and under the ground, they have minimum one queen for each hatchery out there, and yeah, I even heard a complaint from an idiot saying the queens take from supply. I understand him, it's not like they can inject 4 larva per hatch every 40 sec, or place creep tumors that give vision, or heal the allied units AND structures at the cost of everlasting energy( Darth Sidious anyone?), all this while being AA support and quite decent base defence early game.

Mutalisks pretty much owns the map, regardless of the opponent's plans and dreams, banelings carefully avoid doing splash damage to own units, like they should care(they're dead afterwards anyway), ultralisks move like a live wall, and only take 55 sec to build, of course, it's not like any zerg player has 100 larva till their time comes.

/flamesuit

/rant

When people say that things are OP, they are generally exaggerating.

Unless you are in the top 1% of the skill bracket, e.g. the people playing at GSL, then there isn't much room to complain. You can always improve your skills better if you want to play one race and excel over the competition.

From watching the top battles, I would say that right now the Terrans do have a very slight lead but that it's nowhere near what people on the interwebs make it out to be.

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone still playing?

/flamesuit

/rant

agree with rant.
and yet blizzard keeps nerfing T with every patch.
smh...

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I haven't played SC2 in almost a year, so I'm behind on pretty much everything, but what's the deal with Heart of the Swarm in regards to MP?

I understand units are being added, as well as existing units being cut. So will the MP essentially be split into two separate games when HotS is released? Or will WoL be patched with the same MP changes?

As far as I know this is a stand alone release and won't require WoL, right? So either the MP experience will remain consistent regardless of which game you own, or any changes will be exclusive to that release... If that's the case, for someone like me who never even touched the campaign and only plays MP, it's in my best interest to just skip HotS altogether and wait for Legacy of the Void.

Or if I'm mistaken and these aren't stand alone releases but expansions, and LotV will require both HotS AND WoL, that's like $140+ for the MP experience with a few tweaks... I'd have to be out of my mind to drop that kind of money on SC2 without having any interest in the campaign. I got WoL on launch for $40 only because I had a 20% off coupon, never would have paid $60 for it.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think I can understand why people consider Marines overpowered; however, it's really the wrong word to use. They're not overpowered, but they're extremely versatile. They're the only mineral-only unit in the game that can do anti-air. This alone allows them to be more effective in an overall army compared to a Zealot or a Zergling (not to discount those two units... they are effective in their own ways).

I think at times people tend to cry "OP!" because they see how one unit performs so well as a counter against a solid strategy, which is really just the case of the solid strategy being defeated by another solid strategy. An example would be someone going for heavy Mutalisk play, the Terran sees that and builds a few Thors. I think it also happens when certain builds are new and people aren't used to defending against them or spotting them. An example of this is probably the heavy Hellion-centric play that Team Slayers (mostly Boxer and MMA from what I saw) used quite a bit during the summer/fall.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
GSL recap

Enjoy watching the pros play but don't have the time to watch it during broadcast. Figure there are others who would be interested too.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I wish I could play SC2 more :( All of my friends that I played w/regularly have moved on to other things, so I rarely play now. Kind of sad b/c I spent so much time getting good at this game and all of the like 'refinements' I had on my play are mostly gone now.

I really liked team games, esp 2v2 arranged. 1v1 just feels extremely stressful. And random teams is pretty horrible b/c there are SO many players who manage to roll into diamond/master random but are actually only maybe gold level players at best. Just people who play some kind of cheese and/or get carried by teammates.

Which is to say, random teams = full of idiots. Gotta have at least 1 person in my party to really enjoy myself.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I've been playing SC2 more now that my run with BF3 has stopped. Probably have to wait for the Armor DLC to get back into it. Hopefully HotS will be out soon. Anyone that wants to team up can add me on bnet, I go by the same name as here.

SS Trooper

Jun 18, 2012
Anyone care to update HotS status for those of us at work? Last I heard they re-re(re?)leased the new units and have them available in a Beta. Is that correct? Is there a beta or test server up yet, or are they still a year+ out?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
For the amount of micromanagement that playing Terran requires I'd hope that they have a little bit of an edge. I've yet to see a game go past 30 minutes at the highest level of play and see a Terran win against Zerg or Protoss, though. Protoss especially seems to use Psi Storm to extreme effect and completely destroys Terran bio or mech armies. Ghost snipes used to be an effective counter (despite requiring incredible micro) but that's been toned down now as well.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah, who ever says terran is OP just plainly sucks. It's pretty well balanced now. I mean zerg has QUEENS now that has the same range as a marine to defend against an early marine rush! I mean, anything you do can be countered. Fungal Growth is just so powerful! So are colos and templars. And don't forget DT's... I don't know any game changers on Terran's side except for ravens' heat seaker missile that does 100 area damage. That can wipe out an army pretty well.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I think the game balance is pretty good as of now, or will soon to be when Terrans get used to the Queen range. I don't play the game any more but I watch tournaments on my iPad and it's amazing how fast these pros are. (MarinekingPrime's marine splits are awesome)

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
He's LiquidTaeja now :), a part of team liquid. Also in team liquid - TLO.

Damn, I wish I could make as much money as the pros dowhile playing games. :(

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
XD
Bronze in 1 v 1 and quit a long long way back thanks to the frustration associated with it.

These days, the SC2 in my life is all about watching streams by Husky & HD. Will get back to gaming when HOTS comes out. Till then i have D3 and LOL to keep me company.