** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
^Maybe they got tired of seeing infestor/ling builds all over the ladder.
Nice point about the warp prism, the proxy pylon wasn't enough of a problem. The terrans better develop eyes in the butt with the next patch. And yeah the barracks was out way too soon. I foresee a lot of 6-pool "strategy" in the future.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Think the trouble with infestors was when you have 8-10 of them taking over all the other guy's tier3 units, there are problems. I think now they will be used on casters.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
I think it's bullshit they changed the function of neural. Now I HAVE to have tons of corrupters to counter collosi. Also, wtf do I do now when terran goes mass mech (thors)...can't NP them...I don't think it will stick.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I hate to bring up a taboo topic, but I am fairly certain I am seeing an increase in maphacking lately. I had two matches in the past week, where the replay showed some telltale signs of maphacking when using my opponents camera view (frequently focusing on unexplored areas i.e. my base, or where I had troop movements, without any scouting or observation, followed by obvious counters to things they shouldnt be able to see, etc).

How prevelant has it become? I hate to risk sounding like a whiner (I have no illusions about my playing skill - I'm a high level silver player at best), but I would hate to see it ruin SC2 like it ruined SC1. I don't mind losing, but I have better things to do than to play cheaters.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
I hate to bring up a taboo topic, but I am fairly certain I am seeing an increase in maphacking lately. I had two matches in the past week, where the replay showed some telltale signs of maphacking when using my opponents camera view (frequently focusing on unexplored areas i.e. my base, or where I had troop movements, without any scouting or observation, followed by obvious counters to things they shouldnt be able to see, etc).

How prevelant has it become? I hate to risk sounding like a whiner (I have no illusions about my playing skill - I'm a high level silver player at best), but I would hate to see it ruin SC2 like it ruined SC1. I don't mind losing, but I have better things to do than to play cheaters.

hacker population ebbs and flows

I don't know how fast Blizzard's response time is because their policy is to let the hacker population grow then mass ban them.

Oct 20, 2005
How does the league system actually work? i don't really get it. I got placed in Silver and since then played about 20 matches. At least half of them vs gold players and most of the rest other silver players (only 1 bronze).
Can't say I did that great, like 55:45 and being ranked around 20-25 place. Then suddenly i'm promoted to gold IMHO for no obvious reason. Kind of positive surprise. I tought I first had to go up the places in my league before being promoted.

The system uses something called an MMR (match making rating) which is hidden from the public. This MMR is different than your score/rank.

I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics, but as you consistently beat players with higher MMR, you will be promoted to higher leagues. You don't have to be like rank #1 in silver to be promoted to gold league.

I think the system tries to keep things at a 50/50 ratio. So if you are beating players with higher MMR than you at a 50/50 ratio, you'll probably get promoted to a higher league.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I've gotten back into SC2 a fair bit, if anyone has any interest in some team matches, let me know. None of the guys I know are really at my skill level. Plat+ terran.

hit me up. I just started playing again too. Gold in 3v3 and Silver in 1v1. (unless that's too low for yah.)

name = mhts

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I've gotten back into SC2 a fair bit, if anyone has any interest in some team matches, let me know. None of the guys I know are really at my skill level. Plat+ terran.

It's crazy how I ebb and flow with this game. Sometimes it's fun, other times it's just annoying. In the end, most people just have lives (hopefully) and can't get as good as the players streaming 9 hours/day on TL...

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The system uses something called an MMR (match making rating) which is hidden from the public. This MMR is different than your score/rank.

I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics, but as you consistently beat players with higher MMR, you will be promoted to higher leagues. You don't have to be like rank #1 in silver to be promoted to gold league.

I think the system tries to keep things at a 50/50 ratio. So if you are beating players with higher MMR than you at a 50/50 ratio, you'll probably get promoted to a higher league.

To follow up on this. You rank with the league is just depend on your points. You get some for winning, lose some for losing. If you don't play for a while you can have your winning points doubled from the bonus pool you accumulate.

StepUp

May 12, 2004
I went to a Barcraft event here in STL last night. There were more than 50 of us watching the NASL Premiere. If anyone is interested in going in the future in the STL area, let me know. A great time had by all.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Watching Trimaster's game vs RevnoxN, I'm impressed with his mirco, especially being able to control multiple drops. The end of the second game is worth watching as it ends in 77v9 supply, many lulz to be had. It's on Husky's youtube page, I'll link if I remember when I get home.

Saw another replay of his where he attacked the front of the base, protoss army came out to fight. He then lands his factory to finish the protoss wall and drops his army inside with the P army stuck outside. Lucky for P he had done a crappy job on his wall.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Saw another replay of his where he attacked the front of the base, protoss army came out to fight. He then lands his factory to finish the protoss wall and drops his army inside with the P army stuck outside. Lucky for P he had done a crappy job on his wall.

That sounds rather amusing... even more so if he started to repair the Factory with SCV(s) after it inevitably came under fire. :p

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So has SC2 fallen off everyone's play list? I know it's been over a month since I've played.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Nope, still playing. It's actually the only game I play on a regular basis (a few times a week).

StepUp

May 12, 2004
I think a lot of us still play; it's just that most of us who do play probably post over at Teamliquid (at least I do).

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah me too.. i'm 2v2 masters now, and 3v3 masters, 2v2 random gold, 1v1 silver... in season 4... i was 1v1 gold last season...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I'm still playing :) This is the only game I've played for more than like a year continuously, ever. That said, the frequency has dropped off lately (used to be 4-5 times a week for a few hrs each time, now it's more like 1-2 times a week). The ppl I usually play with are preoccupied w/other stuff like Skyrim & Zelda so it's hard to get some games together :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Does anybody have stats on SC1 from before and after the release of SC2?

I am just curious if it killed the game or only had a mild effect.

Oct 20, 2005
So has SC2 fallen off everyone's play list? I know it's been over a month since I've played.

Since MW3 came out, yeah. I simply don't have enough time to dedicate to both games. I'd rather spend my available gaming time towards leveling up my MW3 character.

Plus after that, I'll probably be playing Skyrim.

Then, hopefully HOTS will be out early next year which I will then jump back to that.