** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What is it with all the terrible Zerg players that I play with in random? The enemy comes at once with a massive amount of units and they always have maybe 10 units to assist. We get fucking steamrolled because they can't contribute shit.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
What is it with all the terrible Zerg players that I play with in random? The enemy comes at once with a massive amount of units and they always have maybe 10 units to assist. We get fucking steamrolled because they can't contribute shit.

You require more overlords! Most likely they don't understand how important Queens are when playing zerg. My friend tried to play them like SC1 zerg until he got beat down enough to understand that doesn't work.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I've been getting massacred by brutal Zerg players every game. Most common is Baneling assault thats followed up by an ally immediately, or just a handful of zerglings to finish off stragglers. 2nd common attack is just waves of zerglings.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
It's frustrating. every time I manage to beat a terran MMM and watch the replay I realize that he just was a bad player and made like 1000 mistakes and could have easly beaten me.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
To zerg players, when do you research metabolic boost? Early in the game (your first 100 gas) or after several roaches are built? It seems like roaches are required to defend against a helion/marine or zealot rush in the early game.

Do zerg players even bother to tech up the zergling in the early game?

I play random, but here's my take:
I usually do a 14pool/15hatch type of build (extractor 14 or 15, before pool). What can I say, I like the macro-oriented play style. Here you'll get the 100 gas for speedlings just as the pool finishes. I think this is a pretty safe build, b/c speedlings + queens will be very effective at dealing with the early stages hellion and reaper pressure. (For hellions, a spine crawler at the natural might also be in order.) Then by the time the heavier pressure is coming, you'll have roaches & an OK game. (With heavier reaper pressure, roach speed is quite worthwhile too.)

Additionally, esp against reapers, it's critical to spread your creep early. One of your queens early batches of energy should create a tumor so you can link up main & natural. That extra 30% speed buys a lot of time, and will allow you to easily move btwn main/natural if your opponent varies his attack locations.

Really you should scout diligently & try and figure out what your opponent is doing. If it looks like a 111 build then probably you can skip the early zergling speed and/or take some drones off gas (unless you want to harass w/it...). But of course scouting can be pretty balls esp on narrow ramp maps.

I typically get that metabolic boost fairly early. If not starting it right as the pool finishes, then a short while after that. I feel like speedlings pretty much always have a place in the zerg army. They're ridiculously fast (so nothing can kite them), enabling quick responses/surrounds & only cost minerals to boot.

It's frustrating. every time I manage to beat a terran MMM and watch the replay I realize that he just was a bad player and made like 1000 mistakes and could have easly beaten me.

Heh I know that feeling D: I had a 2v2 (TTvPT) random custom game on LT earlier today (i was terran), and my partner pretty much did nothing for the whole game. The protoss player was pretty nooby and I took him out w/o issue. But the terran player had like 4 or 5 bases (my partner had 2; I had "3"... quotes b/c w/harassment it was hardly 3) and just seemed insurmountable. I traded armies w/him a few times, not really making any real headway... and my un-mined resources were dwindling fast.

But finally at like the 50min mark, my partner shows up with 5 or 6 BCs and we roll out, crushing the terran (despite some fucking terrible unit control on my part). I was thinking, "damn, good job" till I saw the enemy terran's avg unused resources: 6000+

If that guy could macro worth half a damn, I would've been raped.

Last edited:

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003

Zerg playstyle is very much a "try to get away with as much as you can" mentality. That is, because larvae produce drones as well as fighting units, you see zerg drone up hard and rely on scouting to tell them when they should start pumping army. This is why when you watch pro zerg they have like 4 lings on the field (early-game) until they see their opponent pushing out and suddenly they use all their larvae for army to hold it off. It's a pretty thin line between looking pro and looking like a total noob. I suspect this is what you're seeing with your partners. For example, seeing someone's army moving out as you just morphed all your larvae into drones is a pretty shit feeling.

To zerg players, when do you research metabolic boost? Early in the game (your first 100 gas) or after several roaches are built? It seems like roaches are required to defend against a helion/marine or zealot rush in the early game.

I use my first 100 gas for metabolic boost. I just like having it... and it can hold off hellions/reapers. I normally open with 13pool/13extractor for a fast roach push and go from there though... The build order allows for metaboost and enough gas for 5 roaches when your warren pops. If you want a more macro approach, 14 gas/14pool/15 hatch I would also research metaboost with the first 100 gas.

Last edited:

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Anyone down for some 2v2? Platinum toss on 1v1 and 2v2, theGOAT.658 on US gateway.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
So after about 50 games, I'm finally getting matched evenly against players. Working out well pretty far.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Well, I think I ran into a maphacker today on my 3rd placement match. PvP, Desert Oasis, I'm plopping down proxy pylons near his natural, do a 4-gate push at his front door with 3 stalkers, 4 zealots, and a sentry. he's got cannons and a ton of zealots, and intercepts my push. i plop down a few more proxy pylons, but he keeps destroying them with zealot squads. he got one about halfway from his base to mine, at one of the expansions (that he can't see), and I figure he's about to push into my base and reinforce my front line... but nothing comes. I macro up, take a third base, and plop down more proxy pylons. he then sends some void rays to take out the pylon... I drop down some stalkers to counter, but he sends in zealots. over the next 10 or so minutes I sit tight and macro up. a little while later I've got a stalker squad ready to blink into his base, but it gets hit by a squad of DTs. I didn't have an observer around so I had to run the F back, drop down cannons, and CB a couple obs. i check his expansions, he doesn't have any - I've got four, and just set up a fifth one, so I figure I've got this game in the bag. I make maybe 9-10 void rays, warp in some zealot squads and stalker blink squads, and head towards his base. All of a sudden, before I attack, he says "gg", and leaves the game. :hmm:
so I check the replay - he set up cannons right as I start building my 4gate push, sends his zealots to hit my pylon at an expo at the bottom right of the map, with nothing around it - no observer, no vision, nothing. His void rays head straight for another pylon, which he has no vision of... basically he was a terrible maphacker, and I kicked his ass. So far 3/3 on my placements... they've all been bronze/silver league substance, so I figure I'll make it into high gold or lower/mid platinum pretty handily.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Well, I think I ran into a maphacker today on my 3rd placement match. PvP, Desert Oasis, I'm plopping down proxy pylons near his natural, do a 4-gate push at his front door with 3 stalkers, 4 zealots, and a sentry. he's got cannons and a ton of zealots, and intercepts my push. i plop down a few more proxy pylons, but he keeps destroying them with zealot squads. he got one about halfway from his base to mine, at one of the expansions (that he can't see), and I figure he's about to push into my base and reinforce my front line... but nothing comes. I macro up, take a third base, and plop down more proxy pylons. he then sends some void rays to take out the pylon... I drop down some stalkers to counter, but he sends in zealots. over the next 10 or so minutes I sit tight and macro up. a little while later I've got a stalker squad ready to blink into his base, but it gets hit by a squad of DTs. I didn't have an observer around so I had to run the F back, drop down cannons, and CB a couple obs. i check his expansions, he doesn't have any - I've got four, and just set up a fifth one, so I figure I've got this game in the bag. I make maybe 9-10 void rays, warp in some zealot squads and stalker blink squads, and head towards his base. All of a sudden, before I attack, he says "gg", and leaves the game. :hmm:
so I check the replay - he set up cannons right as I start building my 4gate push, sends his zealots to hit my pylon at an expo at the bottom right of the map, with nothing around it - no observer, no vision, nothing. His void rays head straight for another pylon, which he has no vision of... basically he was a terrible maphacker, and I kicked his ass. So far 3/3 on my placements... they've all been bronze/silver league substance, so I figure I'll make it into high gold or lower/mid platinum pretty handily.
Hah, it's great that you beat the cheater. I hope Blizzard starts banning them soon. These people must be truly retarded, if they're crappy players they're better off in bronze playing against people of their skill level. I think I wouldn't beat diamond players even if I started with 1000 minerals and gas. And it would be no fun to me.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hah, it's great that you beat the cheater. I hope Blizzard starts banning them soon. These people must be truly retarded, if they're crappy players they're better off in bronze playing against people of their skill level. I think I wouldn't beat diamond players even if I started with 1000 minerals and gas. And it would be no fun to me.

What's troubling is that it's obvously still so easy to make maphacks. I mean this was a big issue in SC1 where you probably had a hacker in every thir game at least. I would have thought that they can come up with a mechnism to prevent these hacks. But probably it's more imortant to invest that money in drm.

Here something different. Good example why alot of people say Terran bioball is OP:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft#p/u/59/dC5jmd1FOJg

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002

make sure you report him in game. Also you can send the replay etc to hacks@blizzard.com so that they are aware.

They have been banning some hackers and I expect a wave of them to start soon. There was a maphacker who got all the way to the top200 us and people told blizz so he got removed and banned.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I was playing 2v2 w/my friend on LT (TZvTZ; I was terran & nearest to the enemy zerg). Even before my first supply depot finished, the guy had TWO drones in my base. I didn't even notice until one of them turned into a hatchery!

I was thinking OH SHIT, spine crawler rush?! This early?!?!?! And then poof, hatchery gone & replaced by a evolution chamber??? What?? The second drone follows suit.

It was pretty trivial to best the zerg player after that, but epic lulz. What a ridiculous cheese attempt; but in-game, it sure as hell got my adrenaline pumping! I guess the idea is that the evo chambers will eventually die (no creep), jizzing out broodlings into the unsuspecting terran defenses. I gunned down one evo chamber (not thinking about the broodling consequences) & found out that 5 broodlings beat 2 marines, lol. But it didn't matter b/c I had 3 rax by then & shut down his follow-up zergling "rush."

edit: anyone else seen anything like this? I googled proxy evolution chamber & there's a lulzy vid of someone losing to it.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I was playing 2v2 w/my friend on LT (TZvTZ; I was terran & nearest to the enemy zerg). Even before my first supply depot finished, the guy had TWO drones in my base. I didn't even notice until one of them turned into a hatchery!

I was thinking OH SHIT, spine crawler rush?! This early?!?!?! And then poof, hatchery gone & replaced by a evolution chamber??? What?? The second drone follows suit.

It was pretty trivial to best the zerg player after that, but epic lulz. What a ridiculous cheese attempt; but in-game, it sure as hell got my adrenaline pumping! I guess the idea is that the evo chambers will eventually die (no creep), jizzing out broodlings into the unsuspecting terran defenses. I gunned down one evo chamber (not thinking about the broodling consequences) & found out that 5 broodlings beat 2 marines, lol. But it didn't matter b/c I had 3 rax by then & shut down his follow-up zergling "rush."

edit: anyone else seen anything like this? I googled proxy evolution chamber & there's a lulzy vid of someone losing to it.

there are a couple of vids up by ForceStarcraft (he posts guides etc) where they show how it is done. The "purpose" of it is to stop the Terran from creating a fat wall so that a baneling bust can be more effective. The evo chambers prevent you from building behind your wall and then they die/are killed while the banelings break the wall down and the broodlings come out to help.

It's about as viable as the Terran Planetary Fortress rush, generally only works if the person has never seen it/has no idea what to do. If you had 3 rax by the time they tried to rush then they were slow about it. Another way to counter it is to just put bunkers up.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
So I'm in a ZvP on Metalopolis and some random flash stream I had open (but paused) started to play again, causing me to lag horrifically. It's pretty bad and I can't even type. I pause and alt-tab so I can close my browser window and when I alt-tab back in (less than 15 seconds mind you) I find the game unpaused and half of my drones dead from DTs.

The game was 100% won for me in that I had a larger army and double his SCV count but he wins from terrible bad manners.

:hmm:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Either theres an awful lot of bitches online, or an awful lot of people trying to play on Battle Net with dial up out the middle of nowhere, but in any case: Please dont quit after you see one enemy, especially in a 2vs2 game. Thats just fucked up and you'd do better to not even start the damn game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Won a game with my friend... seems like it's been awhile since we've done that :p. Started with a few Marines and some Hellions vs T&P. Took some advice from D9 and built my expansion during that time. They pushed with VRs and a MMM ball, but they were no match for our Vikings + Mutas.

I dropped a few siege tanks into the corner of their base with the muta+viking support and roflstomped a ton of their MM units. Then I realized my tanks were stuck lol. I had to pull in more tanks and get more medivacs to assist.

I think the Protoss player was simply dumbfounded after his mass VR failed. "Wha... wha... how did ... Void Rays lose!?" He left and the Terran player left soon after that.

Either theres an awful lot of bitches online, or an awful lot of people trying to play on Battle Net with dial up out the middle of nowhere, but in any case: Please dont quit after you see one enemy, especially in a 2vs2 game. Thats just fucked up and you'd do better to not even start the damn game.

Quit after you see one enemy? What, did these people think Simon Cowell was going to come out after 10 minutes and simply judge their armies to find the winner? Have America vote?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE IN 2V2 RANDOM WHO LEAVE AFTER THEY GET ATTACKED BY NOTHING MORE THAN A SMALL ARMY !?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!/!?! they can't fucking wait till i send my units over to help them out ?!?!?!? FKJDSKLFJDSKLFJDSKLFJSDKLFJKLSDFJSLKJFKLDSJFLDSKJFSDKLFJDSKLFJSDKLFJDSKLFJDSKLFJDSKLFJ

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002

There are a lot of little bitches that play online. There was a post on the SC2 forums explaining why it happens a lot. Has to do with the fact that unlike most multiplayer games where there are 10+ people to a side there are only 2 or 3 in SC2. This makes people unable to shift blame onto the rest of their team "well i wasn't the only one that did bad, these 6 guys were worse" etc.

Due to the way SC2 multiplayer is set up each player has a lot more responsibility and it is very obvious who fucked up. And a lot of gamers can't deal with being the one that causes a loss or being the bad player, they all assume they are great and bail as soon as they have a challenge.

I think the Protoss player was simply dumbfounded after his mass VR failed. "Wha... wha... how did ... Void Rays lose!?" He left and the Terran player left soon after that.

I've seen this happen as well, it's so satisfying tearing down a fleet of voidrays with marines/hydras and knowing that the other player has no idea what to do next.