** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I get frustrated so easily with 1v1. I can really only handle a handful of games every day before I can't do it any more. Fortunately, it's easy enough to 2v2 or 3v3 with a buddy and it feels like a whole new game...far less stressful.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I get frustrated so easily with 1v1. I can really only handle a handful of games every day before I can't do it any more. Fortunately, it's easy enough to 2v2 or 3v3 with a buddy and it feels like a whole new game...far less stressful.

Same. Funny thing is I play my team games atm with people a fair bit less experienced, so we don't (or won't, once we're done with placement matches) always win, but it doesn't seem to matter as much.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
I have the same problem. I enjoy playing 2v2 with someone I know far more than playing by myself.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright, I just quit my first match.

Another teeny little request:
Do not call me a bitch great person wise and beautiful woman. I will not play with you.
I stopped that when I was 15 years old and I didnt use great person anyway. It damn sure doesnt fly at 30.
And someone needs to tell Blizzard theres a way around their language filters, or they need to add Bitch, great person, and wise and beautiful woman to their list.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Booo Maphack already.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/PsyStarcraft?blend=2&ob=1
30vzukg.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What if they never signed the EULA?
Doesnt that mean they can do what they want?
And if not, what purpose does the EULA serve any fucking way?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I would hope Blizzard could just ban every player proven to use a hack of any sort. Ban the game from that account and make it so they can't play anymore. Sooner or later people will get discouraged.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
What if they never signed the EULA?
Doesnt that mean they can do what they want?
And if not, what purpose does the EULA serve any fucking way?
I don't see anything about the EULA, but it references copyright infringement.

Blizzard had better be aggressive with the banhammer. They always are, actually...but they had better be quick.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Again, please dont quit 20 seconds in just cuz someone scouted you.
Having said that, this is the first time I saw 1 guy take on 4 and actually kick some ass.
I saved his game. Should probably upload it or something. Thats a real warrior. Never surrender.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

I recently had a match vs a zerg and I found it a little strange when his first zerglings arrived prior to any overlord or scouting drone. Luckly it wasn't a ultra fast rush so I was able to manage (zealot + probes). He kept sending few lings over and tried to harass me, well it was GG when my void ray(s) arrived at his base. And then the cursing started.

Anyway I looked at the replay and his first lings went straight for my base (Metalopolis 2v2 Map, cross positions). No scouting whatsoever. Could be pure guessing (how long my scout probe took to arrive) or luck but looked very much like a maphack.

EDIT:

The above letter is a little funny. If Blizzard actually had legal options like a lawsuit why would they go to the trouble of writing a "scare-letter"? It's bascially admitting that you can't really do anything about it.
And the second point is they should focus on the players using hacks and on fixing their software so it is not possible (probably impossible to prevent) or detectable. After all if I shot someone I will go to prison and not the guy how sold me the gun.

Last edited:

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
Ugh 8 game winning streak has become 7 game losing streak.

I can feel with you...

13game winning streak a few days ago... hoped to get promoted to diamond soon and then the other day -> 6 game losing streak... -.-

i should have stopped after the 3. game...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I've tried zerg vs the AI and I just keep forgetting to keep up with the queen's ability for larvae. It's weird having hydras as tier2. Do people build multiple queens per base? Also is it unusual to have 2 hives at one base? That's how I used to increase production in SC.

1 queen per base. The queen regenerates 25 energy in the *exact same* amt of time it takes the larval eggs to pop. So if you're absolutely perfect, your queen will always have <=25 energy.

Having more queens would not be beneficial here from the macro point of view, since 1 hatchery can only utilize enough larval injections to saturate 1 queen.

That said, against rushes in an early expand situation, 2 queens can transfuse each other, which is occasionally useful.

And don't forget to expand your creep w/the queen. Usually around the 2nd batch of 25 energy, shit out a creep tumor & bulid yourself a highway one tumor at a time.

I don't really think any race is more gas heavy than others. Every race has its set of high-tech, gas heavy units. Every race has its set of "core" units that are really more mineral bound. (Terran: marine/marauder; Protoss: zealot/stalker; zerg: zergling/roach/hydra.) Ok ok fine I guess zerg is a little worse off here b/c Hydras have the worst mineral:gas ratio... but you often need that anti-air capability. But the core units are just that--core, primary. You're not going to win against good players trying to mass broodlords or battlecruisers.

And you can go quite a distance just macro'ing well & building a shitload of core units. The pure impact of huge numbers when you're on 2 or 3 bases vs a 1base opponent can be brutal. That said, it's pretty unlikely that you'll get into the late game with just core units. For example, after a point zealots/stalkers just can't punch through a siege defense (but they can if phoenixes give a lifting hand)...

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
You know i did not know till last night you can macro buildings. I was watching replays and was like "oh that would be helpfull to macro unit building structures. lol

I also did not know you can highlight structures more than 1 and a time. Now i understand why warping in things with protoss is so OP. :p

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
You know i did not know till last night you can macro buildings. I was watching replays and was like "oh that would be helpfull to macro unit building structures. lol

I also did not know you can highlight structures more than 1 and a time. Now i understand why warping in things with protoss is so OP. :p

Annoying thing with that though is say you have 3 barracks (2 tech, 1 reactor) and you want to build a few marines and marauders. If you hit marine 4 times it'll send 1 marine to the tech ones too. What you need to do it pick marine, marauder, marauder, marine. but then you need to repick to put in the next set. I wonder if you pick 4 marauders first, if you can then just send marines to the reactor.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Annoying thing with that though is say you have 3 barracks (2 tech, 1 reactor) and you want to build a few marines and marauders. If you hit marine 4 times it'll send 1 marine to the tech ones too. What you need to do it pick marine, marauder, marauder, marine. but then you need to repick to put in the next set. I wonder if you pick 4 marauders first, if you can then just send marines to the reactor.
Or just do all your marauders first, since the reactor can't produce them. If you did 2 marauders on each rax, I believe you could do 6 marines on the reactor before it would start putting them on the tech labs again. There's ways around it, just have to get used to it.

edit: Haha, I'm an idiot for not reading the whole post. Yes, you can do that.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Ok something annoying happened, 3 games in a row. Is this a known bug or exploit..

The guy just send his starting units to kill mine. For some reason terran can kill zerg units with just SCV. I mean i literally could not make 2 units before he killed all my units, or damage was not enough to kill his fast enough. lame

Game over in 30seconds.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Having more queens would not be beneficial here from the macro point of view, since 1 hatchery can only utilize enough larval injections to saturate 1 queen.

I think he's really referring more toward warding off the annoying Void Ray rushes since most players don't have Hydras that quickly.

The above letter is a little funny. If Blizzard actually had legal options like a lawsuit why would they go to the trouble of writing a "scare-letter"? It's bascially admitting that you can't really do anything about it.

It's a Cease and Desist letter... what else do you expect them to do? :p

Or just do all your marauders first, since the reactor can't produce them. If you did 2 marauders on each rax, I believe you could do 6 marines on the reactor before it would start putting them on the tech labs again. There's ways around it, just have to get used to it.

edit: Haha, I'm an idiot for not reading the whole post. Yes, you can do that.

I almost always accidentally start building marines and marauders the wrong way (marines first) and then have to cancel a few (just spam ESC a few times) and put the marauders in the queue :p. One of these days I'll remember to put the marauders in first!

But the thing is... the game will choose the lowest queue to place the unit in (not sure if it factors in the build time of units ahead of it...) so if you're only building 1 Marauder and spam more Marines, you'll get some Marines in the Tech Lab queue. If you really want to avoid it for whatever reason, just shift-click the barracks with the 'T' on them.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Ok something annoying happened, 3 games in a row. Is this a known bug or exploit..

The guy just send his starting units to kill mine. For some reason terran can kill zerg units with just SCV. I mean i literally could not make 2 units before he killed all my units, or damage was not enough to kill his fast enough. lame

Game over in 30seconds.

I think protoss probes are actually the strongest with their shields. what they did is called an scv/probe/drone rush. It's a cheese tactic only used in low level bronze. if you micro your units correctly you can survive it and if you do you pretty much instantly win.

The trick is to surround/focus a unit of his, and if one of yours is getting low on health send it to mine minerals (harvesters automatically glide through crowds when told to harvest resources) so if he is attacking a unit, click it and right click on a mineral patch while the others attack and keep repeating.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001

Game over in 30seconds.

SCVs have 45 health to a drone's 40. They have the same DPS. Even if the terran grabs all of his SCVs and rushes you right off the bat, you should easily outnumber him w/drones by the time he arrives.

You do need to micro though. Get all of your drones in combat, pull the ones near death back. Try to get a surround on him.

SCV rush is not a viable strategy 1v1. I have seen it work (hilariously) in like 4v4. B/c then you can double/triple/quad-team opponents & if they don't organize to defend, they can lose, lulz.

edit: wanted to add the bit about pulling back to a mineral patch, but Glitchny beat me to it.

I think he's really referring more toward warding off the annoying Void Ray rushes since most players don't have Hydras that quickly.

Well you should be able to scout the void ray rush. In a pinch, 2 queens trivially beat 1 void ray. 2 queens w/enough energy to transfuse can beat 2 void rays (but not otherwise). If you scout the void rays early enough, you can get lair tech quickly... a small number of hydras will totally force the opponent to switch off void rays. And the cost of teching to/getting those hydras is comparable to void rays.

Additionally, fast void ray protoss won't have large armies, leaving them susceptible to zergling/roach pushes. Typically putting up a warren will force them to get a forge & build photon cannons.

Now the problem is exacerbated if the air rush distance is short (scrap station), but it is by no means insurmountable... I don't even think it puts the zerg player at a disadvantage.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
To zerg players, when do you research metabolic boost? Early in the game (your first 100 gas) or after several roaches are built? It seems like roaches are required to defend against a helion/marine or zealot rush in the early game.

Do zerg players even bother to tech up the zergling in the early game?

SKC

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
Again, please dont quit 20 seconds in just cuz someone scouted you.
Having said that, this is the first time I saw 1 guy take on 4 and actually kick some ass.
I saved his game. Should probably upload it or something. Thats a real warrior. Never surrender.

Would you please upload this? I'd like to see it.