Official ICS & Galaxy Nexus Launch Thread

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The article makes it seem like it's 100% lock Samsung is going to make the Nexus again. But their source is the Digitimes article which is just rumor.

Maybe Google just loves AMOLED. Samsung controls like 95% of that market. If Google wants the cutting edge AMOLED, Samsung is the only one that can provide that. Samsung doesn't sell their best AMOLED to competitors. They keep that for themselves. They will however sell the previous gen AMOLED to competitors.

More likely it's because Samsung has complete control of everything in a smartphone except for the OS.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I received the Samsung battery charging stand from Korea. Both the i9250 standard and the extended battery fit which is nice. If you open the cover, it can serve as a desk stand for your phone. Not bad for $12 shipped.

2012-04-26%252022.32.31.jpg

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I received the Samsung battery charging stand from Korea. Both the i9250 standard and the extended battery fit which is nice. If you open the cover, it can serve as a desk stand for your phone. Not bad for $12 shipped.

2012-04-26%252022.32.31.jpg

That looks pretty good. I need something simple like that when I get my room back together. Where'd you order it from? The bay of pigs? I mean Es?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Are you guys talking about physical buttons or capacitive buttons?
I know Moto used to use physical buttons on their phones before. I prefer capacitive.
I'm not sure what the RAZR has so I won't be able to join the conversation but maybe that's what Red Storm may be referring to? If not, then I don't see how he expects capacitive buttons to not be there.

I had a 12 hour shift earlier today and I've basically been up for 24 hours now.
Going to bed...

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Verizon can bite me. I gave up on waiting for an update from them. I really wanted to wait for stock updates, but my patience only goes so far. Currently running LiquidSmooth 1.35 and loving every minute of it, Jerry!

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Verizon can bite me. I gave up on waiting for an update from them. I really wanted to wait for stock updates, but my patience only goes so far. Currently running LiquidSmooth 1.35 and loving every minute of it, Jerry!

This should have been understood and expected.

Verizon puts software updates through a convoluted ringer. They are one of the slowest to push out major updates. Though Google is essentially in charge of writing the updates, they require non-AOSP parts (for the CDMA tech) and then require Verizon to test and approve it for release.

Those last two parts, and mainly that last bit, is why we might see 4.0.9 (when no such version exists in AOSP) about the same time Google is releasing the first or second patch for whatever version number represents Jellybean. :p :(

It's upsetting to a degree because it does impact the dev community since that base official code can be more stable than the leaks they have to work with when trying to keep up with AOSP on CDMA devices.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
So I finally got my Galaxy Nexus I had been waiting for, and it looks like it has a bad radio.

50-150kbit downloads but 1-2mbit uploads on 3G... It is not even useable on anything but WIFI.
Gotta swap it today.

Edit:
Interesting encounter with a Sprint manager when I went to exchange it. I am probably going to leave Sprint and just get an nexus straight from Google and Straight Talk.

Last edited:

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I actually wouldn't mind waiting for the 4G, but it was consistently <100kb[its] per second and couldn't even load pages around my neighborhood and work.

I am pretty sure it was just that particular one I had that had bad software and/or radio, but I never got a chance to exchange it and try a second one. This despite the fact that their customer support told me to exchange it.

The manager wouldn't let me unless I agreed to a waiver of my right to return the 2nd phone. I told him yeah right give me a refund and cancel my line, and I will just leave Sprint.

Last edited:

Headcase_Fargone

Nov 20, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind waiting for the 4G, but it was consistently <100kb[its] per second and couldn't even load pages around my neighborhood and work.

I am pretty sure it was just that particular one I had that had bad software and/or radio, but I never got a chance to exchange it and try a second one. This despite the fact that their customer support told me to exchange it.

The manager wouldn't let me unless I agreed to a waiver of my right to return the 2nd phone. I told him yeah right give me a refund and cancel my line, and I will just leave Sprint.

You're on Sprint? You were lucky to be getting 100kb in my experience with them over the past couple years. So glad to be rid of that carrier.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
You're on Sprint? You were lucky to be getting 100kb in my experience with them over the past couple years. So glad to be rid of that carrier.

Same experience. Terminated my contract early. Used Tmobile pre paid while waiting for the Nexus on Verizon. Both Tmobile and Verizon are light years faster and more stable.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I know their data is slow, but the demo nexus on 3g was pulling 1-2mbit while my phone would give an error couldn't connect to speed test in their store and had 1-2 bars most every where. The nexus I got was also dropping calls during highway driving and around my house it had 1 bar and dropped calls. My old Sanyo has full signal pretty much everywhere near my home (I live in the Bay Area) and has never dropped a call.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I know their data is slow, but the demo nexus on 3g was pulling 1-2mbit while my phone would give an error couldn't connect to speed test in their store and had 1-2 bars most every where. The nexus I got was also dropping calls during highway driving and around my house it had 1 bar and dropped calls. My old Sanyo has full signal pretty much everywhere near my home (I live in the Bay Area) and has never dropped a call.

There was an article a day or two ago that I read on Engadget and they said there will be a software update to fix the signal issue next week.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
There was an article a day or two ago that I read on Engadget and they said there will be a software update to fix the signal issue next week.

Conveniently after I drive across state for a marathon and could really use a reliable GPS. :/

There's a lot of angry Nexus owners on the Verizon Wireless forums, and one idiot under the name 'Tidbits', who claims that the delays are Google's fault. Not Verizon's. His logic? The updates are stored on Google's servers.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
A Moto Nexus would be great. All the good bits of Moto with the crud left out. Stick a removable battery and a microSD on it and it would be my first Motorola in a long time.

my Motorola Milestone was the worst phone I ever had, keep Moto engineers away from software because the Milestone was a bugridden crapfest that Motorola refused to support

go to the official Motoroal Milestone forums and see what I mean

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Depends where you are and what your signal is. I was sitting at a car wash near my house recently and got this below:

Screenshot_2012-04-15-16-30-26.png

But you can go two miles another way and get 2 megs up/down. So it really varies.

In my area, I vary from insane speeds to somewhat slow. No matter what I benchmark at, my general browsing and ping times are still extremely good.

I've never had any issues streaming or browsing at all.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Appears it has new radios. I hope they are good I've had horrible luck with the current 4.0.4 radios and flashed back to the 4.0.2 radios.

I've had the opposite effect. I am extremely happy with the new radios. Much better signal in my home since I've updated them.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My signal reports the same on both radios. Problem was at my house with the 4.0.4 radios I get like 700-800 kbps down on LTE (yes, that bad), but on the 4.0.2 radios I get around 4-7 Mbps depending on the day. That pull above was on 4.0.2. No idea why the 4.0.4 radios are so slow for me.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
My signal reports the same on both radios. Problem was at my house with the 4.0.4 radios I get like 700-800 kbps down on LTE (yes, that bad), but on the 4.0.2 radios I get around 4-7 Mbps depending on the day. That pull above was on 4.0.2. No idea why the 4.0.4 radios are so slow for me.

Its the radio updates I really want. Right now, any time I use GPS & Navigation, the phone will reboot itself. Its a certainty. Really blows when I really needed Google Nav to get me to a destination and the damn thing reboots on the free way. Since its sitting in the storage tray next to my steering wheel, unless I pull it out and look, I usually have no way of knowing its hiccuped. I've missed exists, turns, etc. This is my biggest gripe with the Nexus. If this update doesn't resolve it, I'm going to push for a warranty exchange.