Official ICS & Galaxy Nexus Launch Thread

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Just got my Galaxy Nexus. It updated to 4.0.4 about 20 minutes after I got it. :p

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Is anyone else having issues with the phone thinking it's charging, but it's not? Mine gets hung in that every so often, sometimes I can plug-unplug-plug-unplug the power and it will be fine again. Others I will have to battery pull it. Yesterday it literally switched in and out of charge mode every second until I pulled it. I can't quite figure out if it's a hardware or software issue.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Is anyone else having issues with the phone thinking it's charging, but it's not? Mine gets hung in that every so often, sometimes I can plug-unplug-plug-unplug the power and it will be fine again. Others I will have to battery pull it. Yesterday it literally switched in and out of charge mode every second until I pulled it. I can't quite figure out if it's a hardware or software issue.

I haven't had that issue.

My charging issue is that it'll charge fully, then drop back down to 98-99% and just sit there until I unplug then plug it back in and it'll charge back up to 100%

Only my Verizon GNex has this problem, but GSM GNex charges just fine. On top of that, the battery life on my Verizon GNex has taken a serious dump since getting 4.0.4. Yesterday leaving work after being on battery for about 8 hours with maybe 45 mins of actual usage (based on screen on time), I was down to 33% battery. Where before, I would have at least 50% after leaving work.

Something is awry.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I'm happy with the galaxy nexus so far.

G6J7l.png

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
I haven't had that issue.

My charging issue is that it'll charge fully, then drop back down to 98-99% and just sit there until I unplug then plug it back in and it'll charge back up to 100%

Only my Verizon GNex has this problem, but GSM GNex charges just fine. On top of that, the battery life on my Verizon GNex has taken a serious dump since getting 4.0.4. Yesterday leaving work after being on battery for about 8 hours with maybe 45 mins of actual usage (based on screen on time), I was down to 33% battery. Where before, I would have at least 50% after leaving work.

Something is awry.

That's by design. It's to make sure "overcharging" doesn't happen.

Li-ion cannot absorb overcharge, and when fully charged the charge current must be cut off. A continuous trickle charge would cause plating of metallic lithium, and this could compromise safety. To minimize stress, keep the lithium-ion battery at the 4.20V/cell peak voltage as short a time as possible.

Once the charge is terminated, the battery voltage begins to drop, and this eases the voltage stress.

article link with a lot more details

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So does anyone still have the mid-call muting problem? I was really hoping 4.0.4 would cure it, but it hasn't. Some think it may be area or tower based. A lot of people have traded in phones, only to have the same issue on a new Nexus. This is frustrating me to the point where I'm thinking of just selling this phone and going with something different. What use is a phone when I can't make any semi-important calls on it?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I got an ASUS TF300, and I've got two thoughts...

1) What's the best way to enable NTFS support?

I run all Windows machines, and almost all of my external storage is formatted as NTFS. I tried using a NTFS-formatted SDHC card (originally used in my ASUS eeePC 4G Surf), and was a bit confused when it said that it was mounting the card, but nothing happened.

I assumed it was a NTFS issue, and when I went to check the card... I don't know what happened to that card, but my desktop threw a fit when it tried to access the card. This was the same machine that wrote a video file to it earlier without any problem. Inserting the SD card into my monitor's card reader caused it to show an active card with a 0 byte capacity... even after I removed the card from the reader. :eek: Oddly enough, it worked fine in the 4G Surf and another desktop.

2) What's the best way to deal with Flash?

I believe I recall reading that some users ended up uninstalling Flash because it was simply too much of a battery hog. I like using Chrome on my tablet, but Chrome on Android doesn't support add-ons. Firefox on Android does support add-ons, but the browser feels so slow and clunky. I really don't like using it, and it's not like I dislike Firefox... I'm typing in it right now.

I might just end up uninstalling Flash as well. My battery dropped 5% while just surfing for a few minutes for answers on the whole NTFS thing.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
The only issue I have with the phone is that I sometimes inadvertently hit one of the dialer buttons with my face when talking on the phone. I wish the proximity sensor would disable the dialer when talking.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The only issue I have with the phone is that I sometimes inadvertently hit one of the dialer buttons with my face when talking on the phone. I wish the proximity sensor would disable the dialer when talking.

It did for me. Every smartphone I've ever used turns the screen off when you bring it to your ear...

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Can someone with the LTE version of the GN test the volume slider? Press up or down on the rocker switch then use your finger to slide the dot left to mute. Before 4.0.4 you could do that. Now, I can't. I am forced to use a widget to go to silent/vibrate.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Can someone with the LTE version of the GN test the volume slider? Press up or down on the rocker switch then use your finger to slide the dot left to mute. Before 4.0.4 you could do that. Now, I can't. I am forced to use a widget to go to silent/vibrate.

I can still do it.

Ugh I got 6 hours on my extended battery today. The drop was steady until I started streaming music at the gym and it just tanked.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004

Are you saying that your rocker doesn't work? Mine does, hold it down to go to vibrate, then push it again to go to silent.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Or hold the power button, they modified the little menu there to have quick access to silent, vibrate, and sound on. Just noticed it today, I like it.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Are you saying that your rocker doesn't work? Mine does, hold it down to go to vibrate, then push it again to go to silent.

No the rocker works. I was saying I thought you could slide the dot with your finger to the left to get it to silent. Or press the icon on the left. These things were not working for me but I just tried and now they are. Weird.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I have the i9250 Nexus with Google Wallet installed on the Modaco rom, used to be on prepaid I can use Google Wallet, but now it states under USER ID: Cannot Contact Bank. After the security issue with Google it worked once or twice, but now has failed to work again. Anybody else experience this?