NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My kids returned to school on August 31. All kids and staff in the school wear masks all day long. They don't mix kids from different classes, etc...so they had a plan to limit interaction. The pickup/drop off is also pretty closely monitored to keep kids apart. My son started having some symptoms today....still trying to feel it out. I gave him tylenol and sent him to bed early. He still has a sense of taste/smell....just sore throat and wheezing when he coughs. I'm not saying it's covid, but figure all it takes is a few risk takers out there that are spreading it to the masses. I may be keeping him and his sister in quarantine the next 2 weeks. :(

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Here in Portugal we're about to start schools, next week. Since early last week, we've been seeing a rise in new cases and this week it's over 50% more than last week, and that's before school even started so i can't help but be apprehensive.

The best idea i heard in recent weeks (and dunno if this is Nation wide or just localized) is that, instead of students moving from one class room to the next, it's the teachers that do: the students will use the SAME classroom all day and the same position within the classroom as well, and it's the teacher that changes, depending on the discipline being taught. I find this to be a truly marvelous idea and, if it's not, it SHOULD BE adopted Nation wide, or even World wide, for as long as this virus is around.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The NBA has been doing this for weeks, and it seems to be working well.

They're serious about it. Danuel House of the Rockets is out of the bubble and off the team for the rest of the season for violating bubble rules. He "had a guest in his hotel room over multiple hours on Sept. 8 who was not authorized to be on campus."

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
119137001_119747336522098_4187559356476997603_o.jpg

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Pfizer/BioNTech expanding their phase 3 from 30K to 44K. Full enrollment of original 30K expected next week which is pretty good. Initial results still expected as early as October. More safety data and proof of effectiveness in an expanded phase 3 could be them wanting to build up the case for full licensure.

My general suspicion of Pfizer's aggressive timeline is that they think the first dose could be somewhat protective.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My kids returned to school on August 31. All kids and staff in the school wear masks all day long. They don't mix kids from different classes, etc...so they had a plan to limit interaction. The pickup/drop off is also pretty closely monitored to keep kids apart. My son started having some symptoms today....still trying to feel it out. I gave him tylenol and sent him to bed early. He still has a sense of taste/smell....just sore throat and wheezing when he coughs. I'm not saying it's covid, but figure all it takes is a few risk takers out there that are spreading it to the masses. I may be keeping him and his sister in quarantine the next 2 weeks. :(

I imagine schools will send anyone home that has any symptoms anyway just to play it safe. Kids will also enjoy knowing that if they have a mild cough they get 2 weeks off. :p

I have a feeling in next few months or sooner we're all going to be in lockdown again.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I imagine schools will send anyone home that has any symptoms anyway just to play it safe. Kids will also enjoy knowing that if they have a mild cough they get 2 weeks off. :p

I have a feeling in next few months or sooner we're all going to be in lockdown again.
I think the problem is that parents will send their kids if the kids don't feel bad and throw fits. The few kids we know under 10 that tested positive for COVID didn't display the same symptoms adult patients do. I don't see the country going into lockdown again, but I can definitely see a lot of rules put in place to help distance people longer. Fauci is saying the end of 2021...I believe that.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Pfizer/BioNTech expanding their phase 3 from 30K to 44K. Full enrollment of original 30K expected next week which is pretty good. Initial results still expected as early as October. More safety data and proof of effectiveness in an expanded phase 3 could be them wanting to build up the case for full licensure.

My general suspicion of Pfizer's aggressive timeline is that they think the first dose could be somewhat protective.

I'm starting to have a real problem with the idea of a 'somewhat' protective antiviral, as least in the US. People are going to relax and think everything is fine now, we have a vaccine - and then the number of people infected may actually go up. Then, 6-12 months later when better vaccines show up, people will be reluctant to believe that these are in fact better. I'd rather see a 70% effective vaccine next June than less than 50% effective by the end of the year. We are already in a bad place because of the resentment, or disbelief in masks and social distancing.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm starting to have a real problem with the idea of a 'somewhat' protective antiviral, as least in the US. People are going to relax and think everything is fine now, we have a vaccine - and then the number of people infected may actually go up. Then, 6-12 months later when better vaccines show up, people will be reluctant to believe that these are in fact better. I'd rather see a 70% effective vaccine next June than less than 50% effective by the end of the year. We are already in a bad place because of the resentment, or disbelief in masks and social distancing.

Expectation setting is going to be a challenge with any vaccine less than like 95% effective. Anyway it's basically a given that whatever is deployed later this year and early next will be supplanted by another vaccine in a year or two's time. Often the first vaccine for something isn't the last.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Here in Portugal we're about to start schools, next week. Since early last week, we've been seeing a rise in new cases and this week it's over 50% more than last week, and that's before school even started so i can't help but be apprehensive.

The best idea i heard in recent weeks (and dunno if this is Nation wide or just localized) is that, instead of students moving from one class room to the next, it's the teachers that do: the students will use the SAME classroom all day and the same position within the classroom as well, and it's the teacher that changes, depending on the discipline being taught. I find this to be a truly marvelous idea and, if it's not, it SHOULD BE adopted Nation wide, or even World wide, for as long as this virus is around.
Unless those kids are also prevented from socializing in general areas for recess/lunch, I don't see how this would help?? What's so marvelous about it?

They're serious about it. Danuel House of the Rockets is out of the bubble and off the team for the rest of the season for violating bubble rules. He "had a guest in his hotel room over multiple hours on Sept. 8 who was not authorized to be on campus."

I joked to my buddies that this was bound to happen (his Rockets teammate James Harden is notorious for frequenting strip clubs), and I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner with some unimportant bench player. It's super dumb and selfish to wait until the second round of a 1-1 playoff series to torpedo your team's chances. If House got caught, then realistically some other player successfully evaded NBA security.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Unless those kids are also prevented from socializing in general areas for recess/lunch, I don't see how this would help?? What's so marvelous about it?

It avoids the movements of crowds of kids between classes: instead of having hundreds of kids (depending on the school size) moving from one classroom to the next, you'll have like a couple dozen teachers doing it instead and that's a lot less people moving around @ the same time.

This way, you'll only have to worry about the concentration of kids @ the start and @ the finish of the school day, but there are further ways to deal with that, such as having the classes NOT @ the same time.

Apparently, kids will eat in the classroom too (not leave it in the recess) but dunno exactly how they're planning to do that, in terms of logistics (didn't catch that part in the news segment): i thought they'd just have them eat @ different times but it seems that's not their plan.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

When i was in middle grades, 6, 7, 8 or so we had classes with the same group of people. Once we got to high school we were all mixed up as far as who was in certain classes so that solution wouldn't work in that case unless the schools could somehow work something out.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
When i was in middle grades, 6, 7, 8 or so we had classes with the same group of people. Once we got to high school we were all mixed up as far as who was in certain classes so that solution wouldn't work in that case unless the schools could somehow work something out.

Here in Portugal, and up until the 8th year, all students have the same classes so there's no need for them to separate. It's from the 9th year on that they start having different disciplines, and then this plan wont work, and i have no idea how they plan to go regarding those.

This is still a logistical nightmare i think but, if they can pull it off, i think this is the best approach to have school with as much safety as possible, within this Pandemic context.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like baricitinib is at least modestly helpful when combined with remdesivir. AI models had spit it out as something that might be an effective antiviral even though it's a RA drug. The headline improvement is a 1 day faster recovery but they need to publish the paper.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Better not be an Australian living oversea during this pandemic. Where is muse? Better blame this on Trump too, eh?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/australians-stuck-abroad-covid/index.html

Enforcing large scale quarantines for arriving travelers is a significant undertaking. They already had issues in Victoria with security and it caused an outbreak in Melbourne. Could they be doing more? Probably.

They've had about 3 deaths per 100K. The US has had almost 60 per 100K so far.

The US response is just so enormously poor and careless.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Dr. Li-Meng Yan has been claiming that the virus was synthetically manipulated in a lab since the beginning of the pandemic, but all of her accusations have been refuted and are not verifiable. Apparently she just published a new paper she co-authored, which she claims is evidence for her accusations.

I haven't had time to read through this yet. Anyone already come across this? Is this just more bogus claims?

Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Dr. Li-Meng Yan has been claiming that the virus was synthetically manipulated in a lab since the beginning of the pandemic, but all of her accusations have been refuted and are not verifiable. Apparently she just published a new paper she co-authored, which she claims is evidence for her accusations.

I haven't had time to read through this yet. Anyone already come across this? Is this just more bogus claims?

Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route

Until I hear reputable scientists in the EU and US agreeing this thing was lab made I will maintain high skepticism.

Edit: ah

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Until I hear reputable scientists in the EU and US agreeing this thing was lab made I will maintain high skepticism.

Believe me when I say this though, I know we all love to use statistics...

But statistically speaking, everyone in every industry has said at many points "How the fuck did that guy get a degree?"

Great example was the great recession: You have all kinds of people with all different kinds of degrees, masters, doctorates with accounting, economics, finances, etc... looking at those finances, reportings, constantly....and no one was able to tell what was going on and just presumed it was all normal. Until it wasn't. It was called out ahead of the bust by a SELECT 1-3 people last I heard.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Believe me when I say this though, I know we all love to use statistics...

But statistically speaking, everyone in every industry has said at many points "How the fuck did that guy get a degree?"

Great example was the great recession: You have all kinds of people with all different kinds of degrees, masters, doctorates with accounting, economics, finances, etc... looking at those finances, reportings, constantly....and no one was able to tell what was going on and just presumed it was all normal. Until it wasn't. It was called out ahead of the bust by a SELECT 1-3 people last I heard.

I really don't think this is a good comparison. Few people saw the subprime crisis coming because of the opacity, intentional in many cases, of the financial system it thrived in and products that drove it. The opposite is true of science like this because there are few if any places to hide if you're bullshitting.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Better not be an Australian living oversea during this pandemic. Where is muse? Better blame this on Trump too, eh?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/australians-stuck-abroad-covid/index.html
You're an idiot and a hypocrite for complaining that Muse was overly political and Trump-bashing in this thread, when you literally stalked what Muse wrote months back and keep occasionally calling him out for no apparent reason.

If you simply can't connect the dots on what any federal government's actions have to do with pandemic response, then go listen to Bob Woodward's latest tapes of POTUS. Actually, never mind. You're too deep into MAGA for it to even matter.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You're an idiot and a hypocrite for complaining that Muse was overly political and Trump-bashing in this thread, when you literally stalked what Muse wrote months back and keep occasionally calling him out for no apparent reason.

If you simply can't connect the dots on what any federal government's actions have to do with pandemic response, then go listen to Bob Woodward's latest tapes of POTUS. Actually, never mind. You're too deep into MAGA for it to even matter.

Can't dispute the facts so do what you do best, name calling.

Hypocrite? Cite one post in this thread that I blame this on Biden or D party. Go ahead, I will wait.

Stalked? He violated the rule of this thread repeatably and then denied that he didn't do anything like that so I had no choice to call him out by his own words, not name calling and insult like you. And he is still doing it as in present time, not like he stopped months ago and I still call him out as you claim.

The proof is in the pudding - (look at the time and date, one page back). No apparent reason and MONTHS ago you say, eh? LOL.

There's no way I'm gonna be a guinea pig for a rushed vaccine. If only for the fact that that would be a tacit endorsement for Trump. I regard him as a greater threat to US security than the covid-19 virus.

MAGA? Again, cite a post of me that praised DT or make any excuse for him or GOP, go ahead, I will wait. Cite my post as I did to muse multiple times. Fair is fair, right?

Take you time, cup cake. Let see who is the idiot now?

One more thing. My point? If we have rule, then rule should apply equally to all. Period. Full stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Here in Portugal, and up until the 8th year, all students have the same classes so there's no need for them to separate. It's from the 9th year on that they start having different disciplines, and then this plan wont work, and i have no idea how they plan to go regarding those.

This is still a logistical nightmare i think but, if they can pull it off, i think this is the best approach to have school with as much safety as possible, within this Pandemic context.
On the surface it seems to make sense when kids do all have the same classes. In the states though, i'm sure every school district is/could be different, let alone every state.
I really don't know how things are done now. All my nieces & nephews are out of school.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Can't dispute the facts so do what you do best, name calling.

Hypocrite? Cite one post in this thread that I blame this on Biden or D party. Go ahead, I will wait.

Stalked? He violated the rule of this thread repeatably and then denied that he didn't do anything like that so I had no choice to call him out by his own words, not name calling and insult like you. And he is still doing it as in present time, not like he stopped months ago and I still call him out as you claim.

The proof is in the pudding - (look at the time and date, one page back). No apparent reason and MONTHS ago you say, eh? LOL.
Nobody else seems to care about Muse's Trump-bashing, and most here are deliberately avoiding politics to keep the thread on topic. You keep calling Muse out by name as if you're the rules police. Just report to the moderators if you find Muse's rule-breaking so repetitive. The mods can decide if he deserves a penalty.

You miss my point; sometime this summer you referenced something Muse said months prior which he didn't specifically recall. WTF do you care so much what Muse says about Trump? Maybe you could ignore Muse's posts if they are so offensive to you? That's a forum feature we all have access to.

MAGA? Again, cite a post of me that praised DT or make any excuse for him or GOP, go ahead, I will wait. Cite my post as I did to muse multiple times. Fair is fair, right?

Take you time, cup cake. Let see who is the idiot now?

One more thing. My point? If we have rule, then rule should apply equally to all. Period. Full stop.
The fact that you link random news articles and then reference Muse's bashing of Trump is itself political. Readers would logically infer that you're comparing Australia's travel restrictions to the Trump admin's actions in some fashion. So IMO, you're being a hypocrite for calling out somebody else for injecting politics. I personally don't care which party or candidate you support.