NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 350 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Do you really want highway patrol to seal off all entry and exit to your regional area? Will commercial flights be grounded? Now your police force will not only prevent the movement of people at checkpoints, but must still allow goods/cargo to flow freely.

That's exactly what needs to happen. If we can guarantee that the virus is out of the region and ensure it can't come back, it would allow us to go back to normal. We could go see our families and friends again, go to restaurants, and basically resume life as normal. Not being able to leave the region is a very small sacrifice to make to get all that other stuff back. I don't even remember the last time I left the region. It's not exactly a need.

Of course you would still allow cargo and essentials, but that's it. The checkpoints would allow transports through, maybe even check for any info to prove it's not just a random guy that happens to own a rig and that's about it. Medical related travel could be allowed too. (you would need some kind of waver or something, not sure how it could work)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Re-read what I wrote. It's ironic to argue the "lockdown must end" by literally asking for the most extreme version of lockdown that's used against epidemics. I understand that you're asking for a trade-off at borders to allow for local personal freedoms, but it's not as simple as you imagine. Simply allowing goods to flow freely means that truck drivers can still bring virus into your communities. You're speaking about guarantees when there are none.

Like I said, I'd agree with the sentiment that your region is being punished excessively and that restrictions can be lifted safely sooner rather than later. I don't know enough to comment on what your premier is basing the decision on (politics? science?).

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I went to my doctor and asked about an antibody test about a week ago and that's pretty much what she said... Basically saying don't do it now, the tests are shit.
The tests (at least one of them), are excellent. Better than most diagnostic tests out there, people just don't understand how statistics work.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Re-read what I wrote. It's ironic to argue the "lockdown must end" by literally asking for the most extreme version of lockdown that's used against epidemics. I understand that you're asking for a trade-off at borders to allow for local personal freedoms, but it's not as simple as you imagine. Simply allowing goods to flow freely means that truck drivers can still bring virus into your communities. You're speaking about guarantees when there are none.

Like I said, I'd agree with the sentiment that your region is being punished excessively and that restrictions can be lifted safely sooner rather than later. I don't know enough to comment on what your premier is basing the decision on (politics? science?).

How is that extreme though? Right now it's way more extreme, not even allowed to be with other people and being forced to shut down your business is much worse than not being allowed to go out of town. By restricting travel the restrictions in plcae right now could be lifted after 2 weeks. We have 65 cases and no new cases in over 2 weeks now. Apply travel restriction, wiat another 2 weeks for anyone that recently came back, then all other restrictions could be lifted. It's a no brainer. They need to be doing this everywhere so the economy can at least continue in smaller cities. The big cities will take longer, we should not be forced to wait after them.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like Ford might be changing his tune about regional based reopening.

Nothing about travel restrictions though, I still say this is only going to work if they stop people from moving between regions, but we'll see what happens I guess.

May 13, 2009
This is NOT good news, flare up again in S. Korea -

I wish we would have a S Korean level flare up. Less than 300 total dead. If you extrapolate that to our population it's less than 2000 total dead. Instead it's over 100k and counting.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
lol received my first ever piece of mail from the IRS Treasury. I was just like "Oh shit, did I forget to report some of my income?"

Nope, just the stupid Trump letter. I didn't know know they were actually sending those - I got my direct deposit like... 3 weeks ago or something.
i probably should have kept mine and framed it.

what a fucking waste of paper. did they think i didn't notice the money in my account?

Reactions: destrekor

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Went to get some stuff from the in-laws house today. Apparently everything is completely over here in TX no restrictions that I could see in town and the only person I saw with a mask had it on their chin. Everything appeared to be at full capacity as well. Fuck it reopen everything, hell get everyone into one room and lets get it all over with at this point. I am tired of waiting for this to blow up in everyone's face and I am guessing that it just isn't going to happen now, at least not here.

Nov 8, 2012
Starting to return back to some sort of normalcy -

Previously I had to schedule grocery pickup a week in advance - now I can find slots today, tomorrow - or any day.

They consistently have SOME kind of TP if you need it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Might be a little late (A Bombardier trademark lol) but better than nothing I guess.

Not sure what the demand is for ventilators now though as the science on their usefulness seems to be changing. I guess they are still useful in some cases. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Was at local HEB yesterday. Besides the workers there, only 40% of the people (customers) wear mask. A few even have masks on.. but covered only their mouths(!!!!???!!!). Social distancing? Many people didn't do that. Kids were without masks and running around touching everything.

Definitely a lot more cars on the road now.

Costco at Cedar Park even had lines at their gas pumps now! Last week I could just pulled in to fill up with no wait.

Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Ya know, when I said that I wanted things to get "back to normal", I wasn't expecting race riots to be the headline to replace COVID-19 death statistics.

You gotta feel for those shop owners... first they go through two months of no business, and then they get looted.

I'd imagine that we'll see a spike of infections from all of this close contact between police and protestors as well. Grr.

Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Might be a little late (A Bombardier trademark lol) but better than nothing I guess.

Not sure what the demand is for ventilators now though as the science on their usefulness seems to be changing. I guess they are still useful in some cases. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

If there is one thing that's certain, it's that we're going to have warehouses full of unused ventalators and face masks when this is all over.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Ya know, when I said that I wanted things to get "back to normal", I wasn't expecting race riots to be the headline to replace COVID-19 death statistics.

You gotta feel for those shop owners... first they go through two months of no business, and then they get looted.

I'd imagine that we'll see a spike of infections from all of this close contact between police and protestors as well. Grr.

Careful what you ask for lol! :p

:oops:

Was at local HEB yesterday. Besides the workers there, only 40% of the people (customers) wear mask. A few even have masks on.. but covered only their mouths(!!!!???!!!). Social distancing? Many people didn't do that. Kids were without masks and running around touching everything.

Costco at Cedar Park even had lines at their gas pumps now! Last week I could just pulled in to fill up with no wait.

2ed wave anyone? :confused_old:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Starting to return back to some sort of normalcy -

Previously I had to schedule grocery pickup a week in advance - now I can find slots today, tomorrow - or any day.

They consistently have SOME kind of TP if you need it.

You know I never had a problem finding TP believe it or not ... paper towels and potatoes were the only things I wanted that I had difficulty finding.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

i think it kinda depends on the time of day. i'm usually out in the afternoons but today i went in the morning. definitely a higher % of people using masks at that time.

1 data point yada yada

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

I saw a ton of photos where people weren't wearing masks. I feel bad for the officers doing their jobs who could potentially get exposed to the virus just because someone wanted to loot & use the riots as a smokescreen. Wack.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Went to get some stuff from the in-laws house today. Apparently everything is completely over here in TX no restrictions that I could see in town and the only person I saw with a mask had it on their chin. Everything appeared to be at full capacity as well. reopen everything, get everyone into one room and lets get it all over with at this point. I am tired of waiting for this to blow up in everyone's face and I am guessing that it just isn't going to happen now, at least not here.

I think most people feel the same way at this point. The government dropped the ball to provide clear leadership & a direction for the country, and as a result, people got diffused about the whole situation. It's still extremely dangerous - we're at 105,000 American deaths as of tonight - but people are just kinda "done" with the whole thing, and that attitude is going to affect behavior & potentially tragic results in the coming months.

I ran a bunch of errands today & that was the general vibe I got off people. Behind closed doors, people would do a quick question-check and ask if anyone cared about masks & they'd all come off, every time. A lot of places were very lax on the rules. Food workers were definitely more on the "screw it" side of things, from what I saw, at least in terms of enforcement. It's a difficult thing to reconcile for a lot of people, overall. Like, in my state, we have 3.5 million people & we've had under 3,800 COVID deaths, with 50% of those being from nursing homes. And we border NYC, which has had nearly 16.5k deaths (NY state is at 23k overall). I'm in the extremely fortunate position where I can work remotely the majority of the time, but many of my clients are getting hit super-hard & some simply aren't going to make it, which is terrible.

I don't know what the right answer is for re-opening, but I am definitely favor of a "phased rollout with safety precautions" approach at this point. From what I can tell, (1) the virus isn't going away anytime soon, (2) doing safe practices seems to help (social distancing, sanitizer, etc.), (3) the government aid has been pretty minimal & isn't really going directly to the small-biz companies who really actually truly need it, and (4) we have a wishy-washy plan of action on the federal & state levels to deal with it, without much enforcement going on. I've been extremely impressed with New Zealand's response. They've had zero new cases of COVID for 9 days in a row now, and have only one active case recorded currently in the entire country. Just phenomenal.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I don't know what the right answer is for re-opening, but I am definitely favor of a "phased rollout with safety precautions" approach at this point. From what I can tell, (1) the virus isn't going away anytime soon, (2) doing safe practices seems to help (social distancing, sanitizer, etc.), (3) the government aid has been pretty minimal & isn't really going directly to the small-biz companies who really actually truly need it, and (4) we have a wishy-washy plan of action on the federal & state levels to deal with it, without much enforcement going on. I've been extremely impressed with New Zealand's response. They've had zero new cases of COVID for 9 days in a row now, and have only one active case recorded currently in the entire country. Just phenomenal.

They opted to enact lockdown early and do so VERY HARD.

Their economy took quite the hit but the hit lasted for a month with more severe measures and less than another month with more lax measures, while pretty much everywhere else you see over 1.5 months with severe measures and over 1 month with more lax measures and counting. This means it actually cost New Zealand LESS to have a harder level of lockdown, in proportion, then it did to the rest of us.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
CNN has this article about a country with zero death from the virus. I am a bit leary about the number/truthfulness.

Not sure if it would work with those extreme measures in the US.