NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 351 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I think most people feel the same way at this point. The government dropped the ball to provide clear leadership & a direction for the country, and as a result, people got diffused about the whole situation. It's still extremely dangerous - we're at 105,000 American deaths as of tonight - but people are just kinda "done" with the whole thing, and that attitude is going to affect behavior & potentially tragic results in the coming months.

I ran a bunch of errands today & that was the general vibe I got off people. Behind closed doors, people would do a quick question-check and ask if anyone cared about masks & they'd all come off, every time. A lot of places were very lax on the rules. Food workers were definitely more on the "screw it" side of things, from what I saw, at least in terms of enforcement. It's a difficult thing to reconcile for a lot of people, overall. Like, in my state, we have 3.5 million people & we've had under 3,800 COVID deaths, with 50% of those being from nursing homes. And we border NYC, which has had nearly 16.5k deaths (NY state is at 23k overall). I'm in the extremely fortunate position where I can work remotely the majority of the time, but many of my clients are getting hit super-hard & some simply aren't going to make it, which is terrible.

I don't know what the right answer is for re-opening, but I am definitely favor of a "phased rollout with safety precautions" approach at this point. From what I can tell, (1) the virus isn't going away anytime soon, (2) doing safe practices seems to help (social distancing, sanitizer, etc.), (3) the government aid has been pretty minimal & isn't really going directly to the small-biz companies who really actually truly need it, and (4) we have a wishy-washy plan of action on the federal & state levels to deal with it, without much enforcement going on. I've been extremely impressed with New Zealand's response. They've had zero new cases of COVID for 9 days in a row now, and have only one active case recorded currently in the entire country. Just phenomenal.

Yep, fits with what I have seen for the most part.

They opted to enact lockdown early and do so VERY HARD.

Their economy took quite the hit but the hit lasted for a month with more severe measures and less than another month with more lax measures, while pretty much everywhere else you see over 1.5 months with severe measures and over 1 month with more lax measures and counting. This means it actually cost New Zealand LESS to have a harder level of lockdown, in proportion, then it did to the rest of us.

And now they are stuck with not being able to actually reopen to the world because the rest of the world would then infect them again. I hope they can exist without any travel to/from the rest of the world for the next year.

CNN has this article about a country with zero death from the virus. I am a bit leary about the number/truthfulness.

Not sure if it would work with those extreme measures in the US.

You know those measures wouldn't work here. We are a bunch of idiotic individualist rebels that couldn't follow orders like that to save our lives.

Expecting to see another spike in cases next week.

Define spike. People and "experts" have been saying TX would spike for the last four weeks but the slight bump that has been shown is not what I would call a spike.

Look I expected this to be bad, like really really bad. Instead like seemingly everything else since 2016 a pile of idiots say "nah, it's all fake" and then fake or not it actually works out for them. I am tired of carrying the it is actually bad water when every time I turn around I am proven wrong.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Yep, fits with what I have seen for the most part.

And now they are stuck with not being able to actually reopen to the world because the rest of the world would then infect them again. I hope they can exist without any travel to/from the rest of the world for the next year.

You know those measures wouldn't work here. We are a bunch of idiotic individualist rebels that couldn't follow orders like that to save our lives.

Define spike. People and "experts" have been saying TX would spike for the last four weeks but the slight bump that has been shown is not what I would call a spike.

Look I expected this to be bad, like really really bad. Instead like seemingly everything else since 2016 a pile of idiots say "nah, it's all fake" and then fake or not it actually works out for them. I am tired of carrying the it is actually bad water when every time I turn around I am proven wrong.

Regardless, it cost them a whole lot less than pretty much anyone else in the whole world, proportionally.

The cost was always going to be big but their measures insured it wouldn't be huge. I'm sure that, as countries get almost no cases, they'll be allowed to have New Zealand as an option for travel, and vice-versa.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I saw those kids hooked up on ventilators on a story on MSBC with those red marks and oh i had to leave the room, nearly teared up. That was haunting and to think some people are thinking this is a hoax and some people have so little regard for others. The lack of empathy some have makes me sick to my stomach. Like this guy here. This angers me more then anything, people like this are why innocent kids are hurting in this world right now.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
100761931_2973484032727824_8819234293113946112_n.jpg

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm on my second beach vacation since March....this time, East coast, US... I keep seeing NY and NJ plated cars and very few people, except retail store workers are wearing masks. Many aren't practicing social distancing.

We haven't done much with our masks since we got here, but have been outdoors exclusively when within 10-20 feet of others.

We're at a very small resort with 60 units or so in 4 separate buildings....the advantage is that very few people use the pool and we don't get daily housekeeping. We cleaned the room again after arrival with Lysol and bleach on just about everything. Our resort has a limit of 8 people in the pool....which typically has 4 or less people in it anyhow. (30'x20' pool).
They removed half of the lounge chairs to help keep people apart. Next to us is a Marriott property....all the pool areas are crammed with people and the restaurants too. They have social distancing signs, but people seem to be over it.

I feel far safer now that we've been here a day and seen that we're staying somewhere following recommendations.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Al Jazeera is running a story about the virus and how different people around the world are coping with it. In one story, the laborers and rich saw drivers in India are trying so hard to make it through the country wide shut down. The kids and parents only have some rice with a little soup on top for meal each day from charity. So sad.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I saw those kids hooked up on ventilators on a story on MSBC with those red marks and oh i had to leave the room, nearly teared up. That was haunting and to think some people are thinking this is a hoax and some people have so little regard for others. The lack of empathy some have makes me sick to my stomach. Like this guy here. This angers me more then anything, people like this are why innocent kids are hurting in this world right now.

Many people especially the ...erm... educationally challenged among us can only accept something is real if it happens right in front of their face. (and per Bozo's own words he loves those people ... why wouldn't he?)

"Fake news" lol more like propaganda ... ask yourself who would be most concerned about full news coverage bias or not? Folks with truth/facts backing them up or those with a dishonest agenda?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That particular model has the inductive charging coil....so they sit on power lines and recharge themselves. The last time they needed to be changed, the govt claimed it was the avian flu that caused all the pigeons to drop dead.

• Haha

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Many people especially the ...erm... educationally challenged among us can only accept something is real if it happens right in front of their face. (and per Bozo's own words he loves those people ... why wouldn't he?)

"Fake news" lol more like propaganda ... ask yourself who would be most concerned about full news coverage bias or not? Folks with truth/facts backing them up or those with a dishonest agenda?
It's not just the educationally challenged. Thanks to the news being flooded by unreliable reporters and commentators, it can't be trusted. It used to only be Fox news that was bad. Now, you can't trust anybody. Two examples.... News agencies are STILL reporting covid 19 numbers out of China as if they're accurate AND I saw one of the *rural county reports to prove early resurgence after reopening occured in a Tennessee county a month ago (to counter the Republican agenda of starting the economy)....but almost ALL cases were from a correctional facility that had an outbreak.

I recommend pretending the virus is alive and well everywhere and continuing social avoidance as much as possible because some states AND hospitals are purposefully distancing themselves from covid claims. The hospitals lost too much normal business over a few covid cases...they want it to go away because the covid cases aren't earning them as much as OR visits or procedures for their regular patient load. States need the economy open for tax revenue...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's not just the educationally challenged. Thanks to the news being flooded by unreliable reporters and commentators, it can't be trusted. It used to only be Fox news that was bad. Now, you can't trust anybody. Two examples.... News agencies are STILL reporting covid 19 numbers out of China as if they're accurate AND I saw one of the *rural county reports to prove early resurgence after reopening occured in a Tennessee county a month ago (to counter the Republican agenda of starting the economy)....but almost ALL cases were from a correctional facility that had an outbreak.

I recommend pretending the virus is alive and well everywhere and continuing social avoidance as much as possible because some states AND hospitals are purposefully distancing themselves from covid claims. The hospitals lost too much normal business over a few covid cases...they want it to go away because the covid cases aren't earning them as much as OR visits or procedures for their regular patient load. States need the economy open for tax revenue...

I do agree except in one aspect ... since the court decision which essentially decided:

"News is entertainment and as such has no obligation to be accurate or truthful"

I have had very little faith in the objectivity of most news sources.

Note that this is one thing Trump got right however also keep in mind the most successful lies often contain partial-truths.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
FWIW those aren't particularly great examples. The numbers from China are official, what else can U.S. MSM report? Sure, educated people laugh at the Chinese official reports, as we've been doing for months. I suppose you can stop reporting the official Chinese numbers, but I rarely see them even mentioned anywhere since they are so far down the "league table" nowadays.

As for the other example, there are also stories of Texas county health departments suppressing Covid-19 case numbers at correctional facilities. But more to the point, the workers at such facilities do go home and take the virus back into the community. So even if say 90% of new cases in a county are from a prison, that doesn't mean the contagion is confined to the prison itself. Now if the report is spinning a narrative of outbreak resurgence, well that's a separate issue.

Your overall point is reasonable: pick your information sources carefully. I wouldn't go X-Files and conclude nobody is trustworthy, tho. :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Your overall point is reasonable: pick your information sources carefully. I wouldn't go X-Files and conclude nobody is trustworthy, tho. :p

Can we go all tinfoil-hat at least ?!? :D

Seriously I love having the whole worlds news at my fingertips and over the years have become fairly good at getting my news from a wide variety of sources.

While none can be trusted fully on its own I find its possible to get a better handle on whats ACTUALLY happened as opposed to what one special interest or another wants you to believe.

Problem is too many people are lazy to the point that Facebook is their primary or only source of information and they don't read online or paper based independent news at all.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I saw a ton of photos where people weren't wearing masks. I feel bad for the officers doing their jobs who could potentially get exposed to the virus just because someone wanted to loot & use the riots as a smokescreen. Wack.

What sucks is that if NYC sees an uptick of new infections because of the riots, it's going to lead to additional delays in reopening things in New York state. That in turn will likely cause delays with the reopening of neighboring states like New Jersey and Connecticut, because we have to worry about New Yorkers day-tripping here for a "COVID lockdown vacation".

Reactions: Kaido and Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
FWIW those aren't particularly great examples. The numbers from China are official, what else can U.S. MSM report? Sure, educated people laugh at the Chinese official reports, as we've been doing for months. I suppose you can stop reporting the official Chinese numbers, but I rarely see them even mentioned anywhere since they are so far down the "league table" nowadays.

As for the other example, there are also stories of Texas county health departments suppressing Covid-19 case numbers at correctional facilities. But more to the point, the workers at such facilities do go home and take the virus back into the community. So even if say 90% of new cases in a county are from a prison, that doesn't mean the contagion is confined to the prison itself. Now if the report is spinning a narrative of outbreak resurgence, well that's a separate issue.

Personally, I'd just be happy if they put an asterisk next to the reports from countries with non-free press (Like China, North Korea, Vietnam, Russia, Iran, etc) saying that they cannot be independently confirmed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What sucks is that if NYC sees an uptick of new infections because of the riots, it's going to lead to additional delays in reopening things in New York state. That in turn will likely cause delays with the reopening of neighboring states like New Jersey and Connecticut, because we have to worry about New Yorkers day-tripping here for a "COVID lockdown vacation".

While not close to NYC-scary levels there was more then enough Covid-19 in New Haven to go around. Of course due to proximity to NYC Fairfield County has the most cases at 15549/1277 deaths but New Haven County isn't far behind in second with 11323/972 deaths.

Whats interesting is that Hartford County had roughly 1000 fewer cases then New Haven (10296) yet had nearly 300 more deaths at 1250. They may well pass out Fairfield in that department by the time this is done which makes little sense.

*(Stats from Gov Lamont daily Covid email 5/31)

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

Yeah one of my friends insists its overblown cause he does not know anyone yet who has it. I told him at this time it was like 1 million people, so with 325 million people that is one in every 325 people. I barely MAYBE know 20? Its about simple numbers really but it goes over his head. I had to relocate away from him cause he doesn't think we need to wear masks either.

Yeah usually seeing is believing with some and i am counting down the moments till Karma bites his ass. He likes to visit his mother who is in a nursing home too, they wheel her to the front door but never let him close. He has tossed fits about this . He loves Fox news so honestly someone who has came by as smart has became maybe the biggest god damn idiot i have known in my life.

Not even sure if i could call this person a friend, only reason he is still considered a friend is cause he has done much for me in times of need. Besides that, i don't agree with his ways PERIOD.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not even sure if i could call this person a friend, only reason he is still considered a friend is cause he has done much for me in times of need. Besides that, i don't agree with his ways PERIOD.

I have ... or more like had a friend like that up until not all that long ago. It reached the point where I couldn't even look at him anymore with some of the things he said and apparently still believes despite all that's happened. Mind numbing.

So yeah I understand ... I stole this from an old Norman Rockwell print ... no idea if he actually said it first!

"Choose your friends carefully for you become like them"

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I have ... or more like had a friend like that up until not all that long ago. It reached the point where I couldn't even look at him anymore with some of the things he said and apparently still believes despite all that's happened. Mind numbing.

So yeah I understand ... I stole this from an old Norman Rockwell print ... no idea if he actually said it first!

"Choose your friends carefully for you become like them"

Your experience sounds like a mirror of mine, my friend has said some VERY bad things.

I moved in with his sister who is like a mirror image of me. We agree on about everything. I couldn't get that man to agree me about ANYTHING, i put on my mask and he looks at me and says i might as well live in fear and never go out again. Yup, won't lie when i have nearly teared up at the idea of his stupidity either hurting someone he knows close or himself. I wish he could see what he is doing but nope won't happen.

So you think you knew someone for 15 years and then see this, yeah its sorta hurtful to me. I have accepted the fact he will most likely become a casualty of this, and have prepared myself. He is almost dead to me anyways, dead man walking essentially. I would be amazed if he didn't catch it.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Still doing good in my area. 65 cases with 1 active. No new cases in 20 days.

Really hope they do the regional thing where they ease some of the restrictions per region. Would be nice to be able to visit friends and family again.

Nov 8, 2012
Lol and just like that Coronavirus has been vanquished.

My newscast had a total of 0 updates or stories on it.

"guys - cut everything on COVID-19. We have important violence of racial tensions to report on for an hour straight."

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Lol and just like that Coronavirus has been vanquished.

My newscast had a total of 0 updates or stories on it.

"guys - cut everything on COVID-19. We have important violence of racial tensions to report on for an hour straight."
Right. Now everything appears to be about launching rockets into space and mololtov cocktails into retail space. It's bad because "hotspots" are going to keep popping up and wrecking things until we get the idiots under control (not the rioters, but ALL people who choose not to social-distance, wear masks indoors, wash their hands, stay home when they're sick, etc...

I was on the beach today. High tide and warm temperatures made people bunch up within 15 feet of each other. I'm talking large families of 4 to 10 people. No one was wearing a mask and I saw quite a few people around 5pm sitting around a circle eating off paper plates (older folks) that obviously were some kind of elderly social group. The one good thing was that they were only probably 2-3 deep stacked between the water and the dry powdery sand and there was a hard (10+mph) constant breeze coming straight in off the water.....lots of air movement made it pretty safe outdoors. I suppose all of that is better than being indoors somewhere.

@Red Squirrel My complaint with the covid testing right now is that much of the testing is STILL unreliable. We've seen a bunch of false positives and I'm waiting on a validated and reliable antibody test. Personally, I want to take for kicks to see if I came in contact with it. With the asymptomatic cases, I really want to know how widespread it is so I can get a better feel of when to relax a little.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I do agree except in one aspect ... since the court decision which essentially decided:

"News is entertainment and as such has no obligation to be accurate or truthful"

I have had very little faith in the objectivity of most news sources.

Note that this is one thing Trump got right however also keep in mind the most successful lies often contain partial-truths.
I'm just getting old and tired of hearing people complain and gripe. News doesn't entertain me anymore. I just read headlines online and rarely click beyond the preview blurb....this is because once you get past that, the rest of the story is usually fluff anyway. I can afford to do that because I'll hear the same story for 1-2 days usually from various sources...every week has at least 3-4 slow news days.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Your experience sounds like a mirror of mine, my friend has said some VERY bad things.

I moved in with his sister who is like a mirror image of me. We agree on about everything. I couldn't get that man to agree me about ANYTHING, i put on my mask and he looks at me and says i might as well live in fear and never go out again. Yup, won't lie when i have nearly teared up at the idea of his stupidity either hurting someone he knows close or himself. I wish he could see what he is doing but nope won't happen.

So you think you knew someone for 15 years and then see this, yeah its sorta hurtful to me. I have accepted the fact he will most likely become a casualty of this, and have prepared myself. He is almost dead to me anyways, dead man walking essentially. I would be amazed if he didn't catch it.
That is a bit of a stretch. If someone gets Covid-19 then by the numbers they will probably be alright. Of course it can be different for anyone but by the numbers the majority of people who get it are fine. I've been reading about pretty high amounts of people who've had it or are asymptomatic but at this point not sure what to believe.