NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 220 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My mother is a vulnerable demographic so we don't need her going out for fuel just because her Kroger fuel points are expiring in a few days. My brother and I went out to fill up some gas cans for her when we saw a couple seniors stranded on the side of the road.

It seems they tried to turn around but drove over a raised, off-road manhole cover and got their car stuck on it. We turned around to help but some guys in a truck were already stopping too. Neither were young. The older guy looked like he was over 65 but not nearly as old as the seniors in the car. Point is, he was vulnerable too, but he jumped out of the truck while the other guy positioned it to push (possibly his middle-aged son?).

I ran over there to lift the car from the wheel well and take some weight off the underside that was about to get scraped but the older good Samaritan went straight for the driver's seat to steer the car. I offered him hand sanitizer but he went right in touching all of her control surfaces and endangering himself and the elderly woman's elderly passenger. No, he wasn't wearing a mask.

Wish we noticed sooner and didn't have to turn around. Hope all of those people are safe. Really, none of them should've been out.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Some people tried to grab and run where I work yesterday. Our off-duty police officer had just come on the clock and he shut it down real quick. :) Not going to say the looting has started because this happens often enough when things are normal.

Not exactly bragging here but i live in the upper hills of my city, most houses here are double the cost of the ones down the hill. I seriously think we would be the first to be looted.

Example of wrealth up here is my neighbor with a track 69 dart 340 5 speed, 1968 plymouth gtx 383 with a spare 383 being built currently . Also has a rv, a chevy 1500 and a jeep that is roll barred for rock climbing i believe. Most people down below have like 2006 and older cars, so yes without a doubt we will be targeted first no doubt.

Reactions: CZroe

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Not going to say the looting has started because this happens often enough when things are normal, but you may get to use Lucille yet, mopardude87. ;)

Sorry for not putting this part in the other post, ugh couldn't edit the post to get all that back in meh. Yeah i want Lucille hung above my monitor purely as a prop as i LOVE Negan in that show. If push comes to shove though, i only hope and pray someone isn't as stupid as to approach me without anything short of a gun.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My local news station tried to shame a man who imported tens of thousands of masks to the US from Hong Kong and is selling them directly to doctors for reasonable prices:

Saw it in the YouTube "local news" category. Yeah, the dude isn't wearing his own mask right. ;)

Anyway, $3 a mask is WAY cheaper than Lowe's charged me a couple months ago, and even the USA is supposed to be buying millions from Brazil for $5ea. Heck, $3 is less than Wal-Mart was charging. I don't care if you could get them cheaper by buying contractor packs before... this guy is a hero. Put up $150,000 of his own money and he's making less than $0.40 per mask.

They pressured him into meeting by saying "lives were on the line" and offering him more money to meet in person instead of shipping it, then they forced him to come to their car with all the hidden cameras by claiming that they were afraid to get out without a mask. They pretended that he was greedy and jacking the price up on them by ignoring that they had offered him more and acting like he caught them off guard with the hike to $5 a mask. That price was for the service of delivering them directly to them which they begged him to do and offered him more money.

Shameless gotcha journalism. This man is a hero. If you know a clinic that needs masks right now, he's the guy to go to. Most of his inventory is going straight to doctor's offices. Looked him up since he's local and I'm already putting some places in touch with him.

11Alive news is garbage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt know lowes had surgical masks.
lets be clear: industrial dust masks are not the same as surgical masks.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I have these:

I wanted to run a tube to the snorkel from the purifier. Would that work instead of a n95 mask?

Dang these guys stole my idea

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Are these people really stupid?

Or are they desperate they shut off their normally functioning brains?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Expose from Feb 9 about China government covering up the actual death toll:

Based on that, I'd guess (just a ballpark figure) 1/2 million deaths in China, maybe more like 750,000, and that may be conservative.
I would really like to be tested just so I could know if the extremely minor thing I had a couple weeks ago was a nearly-asymptomatic case of COVID-19.

...but I'm not a priority for testing since I'm feeling 100% fine now.
Hopefully, there will be a simple antibody test coming, a pin prick to your finger, they say to draw a drop of blood. It would help people know if they are immune or in danger.

Last edited:
Reactions: misuspita

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Ohhhh my gosh, just awful

Iranian media report nearly 300 people have been killed and more than 1,000 sickened so far by ingesting methanol across the Islamic Republic, where drinking alcohol is banned and where those who do rely on bootleggers. An Iranian doctor helping the country's Health Ministry told The Associated Press on Friday the problem was even greater, giving a death toll of around 480 with 2,850 people sickened.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My buddy just laid off 36 people at his restaurant. Doesn't even know if the upcoming government bailout will offer any real assistance with getting things back to fully operational again. He said his vendors have all switched to COD from NET30 because everyone is so cash-strapped.

This virus is really exposing just how fragile our global supply chain really is. We currently have just shy of 665,000 confirmed cases worldwide, which is less than 0.01% of our ~7.8 billion population on earth, along with mass quarantine directives. I think companies like Freight Farms with their self-contained farm-in-a-box setup will be a lot more popular in the future, as that way you can get things like local produce despite whatever's going on in the outside world.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You think it's cheap because you're getting ripped off in the UK. 40 oz malt liquor is about $2 in the US. That's about 1.18 liter beer. And Two Buck Chuck which is nickname of Charles Shaw wine is $2 for whole bottle in California.

How much are hookers?
I always get my 2 buck chuck at Trader Joes and I am in CA, and it went up to $2.50 around 3-4 years ago IIRC. Where's it still 2 bucks?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Second wave of "mutation/adaptable" virus or laying low/no symptom carriers? - https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...onavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

If this is true, we as humans around the world are so screwed.
Very uncertain what's up with that. A lot of things about this whole outbreak are unknown at this time. I heard yesterday that Santa Clara, CA, the worst hit part of Northern California, with over 500 confirmed cases, is now suspected of having infections (unknown at the time) in December 2019!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No yeah, by all means - he speaks like a moron too.... But I guess it's a different type of moronic speech... More... Confident and narcissistic. Biden has more of a "bumbling old man that yells at the clouds" kind of speech.

Don't get me wrong - I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils, I'm just saying that one of his biggest flaws is definitely his speaking-ability... And during crisis times like this, being able to keep people calm that there is a good leader is of the utmost importance.... I can't say Biden would give people that feeling when he speaks.
Let's hope we find out... it's our only hope for leadership. I have been infinitely more impressed with him than Trump.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This was my first time cutting my own hair other than just light trims. I mostly use the trimmer on my mustache when I grow one sometimes. This time I took it full bore and cut all my hair off. I spent the last few hours cleaning up everything and going over it again for dark spots. Now that I have a military recruit haircut I feel clean....and bald. :D
I've been cutting my own hair for 15 years with a Wahl kit I got off ebay. Bought another Wahl kit around 2 months ago, didn't use it for my last haircut because I was going to a big family function and didn't want to chance looking ridiculous having used my new kit for the first time... so I used the old one. Tomorrow I figure to use the new one... nobody's laid eyes on me for 8 days or so. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I didnt know lowes had surgical masks.
lets be clear: industrial dust masks are not the same as surgical masks.
Surgical masks are totally different and provide less protection than N95 masks. It's important that they be N95 or better to protect against something like this virus because it will filter the droplets they spread through. Surgical masks pretty much only protect by keeping you from touching your face and slightly reduce the risk for others around you by catching coughs and sneezes. They don't seal on your face to filter air like an N95 or better.

All hardware stores typically carry N95 and better, but not during this unprecedented shortage. They even sell giant "contractor packs." Heck Wal-Mart normally has them. You use them for paining, insulation, sanding, working with chemicals, and any number of other situations that produce particles you might not want to breathe in.

The have everything from simple dusts masks to full-face respirators (gas masks). Here are the 3M Cool Flow "Pro" respirator masks they charged me $8 for back in January:
2739f2ec29bc5c3e89f9d0ddb9be266f.jpg

Definitely N95.

They seal really well... much better than the cheaper ones I've tried in the past.

Here's is a dark thought: what if a government hiding a lot of deaths might make up something like this to attribute the other deaths to?

"Hundreds" sounds like an awful lot when you expect everyone to know better after the first few.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Uneducated, plus alcohol is banned, so I guess the only supply is illicit, unregulated, and dangerous (reminds me of something).

I believe a few people did similar things during prohibition in the US, even without a pandemic.

Trump's rating went up while he's doing a very bad job, interesting.

This, on the other hand, I can't explain. Desperate so they shut off their normally functioning brains?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Second wave of "mutation/adaptable" virus or laying low/no symptom carriers? - https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...onavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

If this is true, we as humans around the world are so screwed.
From the article:
In February, Wang Chen, a director at the state-run Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, estimated that the nucleic acid tests used in China were accurate at identifying positive cases of the coronavirus only 30%-50% of the time.
If the 30-50% numbers are true, it's really hard to tell if someone is testing positive a 2nd time around after testing negative.

Does anyone know how accurate the tests that are currently being used around the world are?

I know it's only been less than a week but has anyone heard if the malaria drug "testing" in NYC has showed any results. Or if they even went thru with it?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No more gatherings of 5+ people in Ontario.

It's kinda surreal to see all these rules being passed. They are there for a good reason, it's just crazy to see happen.

There's some pretty serious fines at the federal level for breaking out of quarantine now too. Too many people coming in from the states and refusing to self quarantine.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Gentleman, it's been a pleasure

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
This virus is really exposing just how fragile our global supply chain really is. We currently have just shy of 665,000 confirmed cases worldwide, which is less than 0.01% of our ~7.8 billion population on earth, along with mass quarantine directives. I think companies like Freight Farms with their self-contained farm-in-a-box setup will be a lot more popular in the future, as that way you can get things like local produce despite whatever's going on in the outside world.

if we could just get completely sealed full-body suits, everything could continue as normal

honestly i think those suits will be the future in 100-200 years. everyone in society rich enough to buy one will wear one when they are out in public at all times.

especially if the suits can be made strong enough to withstand some damage from weapons

Reactions: mopardude87