NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 500 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

They don't wait for new daily case numbers to get out of hand before adopting stricter measures, which result in whatever measures they take to be in effect for a shorter period, thus giving bigger "periods of calm".

VERY smart strategy, IMO: even if the measures they take cost more than the measures western countries take, by being in effect for shorter periods, they end up costing less in the long run and, because the "period of calm" is bigger, this also helps with the economical recovery, so it's actually a win / win scenario.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
Orange puke is now saying all vaccine made in US will go to US first through executive order. This will surely make other countries like USA more. :rolleyes:

Does US have a large production capacity for Covid vaccine?
If not, then this statement could actually mean that US gets less vaccin.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
CNN has stated today that over 500k Americans will be dead from this virus by April, and that COVID19 is now the he leading cause of death. We are still 3-4 months out before the vaccine is distributed to the masses. In some ways this is truly 1918 all over again. History does repeat itself.

Sounds very optimistic at this point.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This pandemic has revived my PC building hobby and I've gone all out mad it. I'm cutting/modding a case, sleeving my own cables, and OCD bending acrylic tubes to perfect 90 degree angles during some of my free time. I've been working on it for over a month now (actually starting buying parts well over 2 months ago), and I might actually finish it in about 2 more weeks. I can't say I'll ever do a build like this again as it takes way too much time and planning, but it's been a mentally stimulating way to use some of my time.

Hard-tube custom water-loop I hope? ;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Anyone else chuckling at Warner Bros claiming that they consulted with epidemiologists and concluded that they had to move their entire slate of 2021 movies to day-and-date releases on streaming (HBO Max)? They are clearly using the pandemic as an excuse to break their agreements with theaters to support their streaming service. There is simply no way they can claim that 2021 is a lost cause when the most vulnerable will already be vaccinated in their major English markets with the remainder getting vaccinated by the tens of millions every day along with SIGNIFICANT community-acquired immunity by then [blockbuster season]. Heck, we are reaching significant immunity from community spread already in many places enough that it can't spread as fast as it once could.

Keeping theaters closed by the end of Spring 2021 will be like closing theaters every cold season: Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
My parents (65 and 66) got covid a few weeks ago, and they are still recovering. Still no taste or smell, but they sound like themselves and their energy is returning. They had relatively mild symptoms (considering their age), but I am hoping and praying no long-term effects pop up. At least they should have some immunity prior to receiving the vaccine.

Things are getting super hairy in my neck of the woods. Our ICU is at %100 capacity.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
My mother was just diagnosed with cancer. I couldn't even visit her in the hospital for a week while they did all the tests and she had surgery due to covid protocols. She has another surgery in a month, likely a difficult one with a long recover time. I hoping everything isn't in the toilet by then. Our hospital isn't overwhelmed at the moment, but they just barely got things back online after a cyber attack took everything down for a month.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Anyone else chuckling at Warner Bros claiming that they consulted with epidemiologists and concluded that they had to move their entire slate of 2021 movies to day-and-date releases on streaming (HBO Max)? They are clearly using the pandemic as an excuse to break their agreements with theaters to support their streaming service. There is simply no way they can claim that 2021 is a lost cause when the most vulnerable will already be vaccinated in their major English markets with the remainder getting vaccinated by the tens of millions every day along with SIGNIFICANT community-acquired immunity by then. Heck, we are reaching significant immunity from community spread already in many places enough that it can't spread as fast as it once could.

Keeping theaters closed by the end of Spring 2021 will be like closing theaters every cold season: Ridiculous.

Announcing this right as a vaccine roll out starts is just an amazing choice that can't possibly end poorly for them.

Reactions: Captante and CZroe

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My mother was just diagnosed with cancer. I couldn't even visit her in the hospital for a week while they did all the tests and she had surgery due to covid protocols. She has another surgery in a month, likely a difficult one with a long recover time. I hoping everything isn't in the toilet by then. Our hospital isn't overwhelmed at the moment, but they just barely got things back online after a cyber attack took everything down for a month.

Yeah hope she can get her next surgery without a problem.

Nov 8, 2012
Anyone else chuckling at Warner Bros claiming that they consulted with epidemiologists and concluded that they had to move their entire slate of 2021 movies to day-and-date releases on streaming (HBO Max)? They are clearly using the pandemic as an excuse to break their agreements with theaters to support their streaming service. There is simply no way they can claim that 2021 is a lost cause when the most vulnerable will already be vaccinated in their major English markets with the remainder getting vaccinated by the tens of millions every day along with SIGNIFICANT community-acquired immunity by then. Heck, we are reaching significant immunity from community spread already in many places enough that it can't spread as fast as it once could.

I honestly don't hold sympathy for sticky-floor movie theaters with whiny babies and people who talk/text during them.

Their entire existence is hinged on the fact that movie-studios are buckled from releasing the film via other means.

Fuck em' and fuck 'em and fuck 'em.

I haven't been to an AMC / Cinemark in... geez, probably over 10 or 15 years at this point? I have however been a few times to ones that serve food/alcohol, and in general don't have/allow young kids.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

It seems realistic to me. Things will probably be trending down in the Spring through summer but I highly doubt they're going to see normal numbers before Christmas 2021 at the earliest. And people may have changed habits enough that demand for theaters remains depressed even after.

And most studios seem to be hoarding all of their films for better days. That means when things do come back there is going to be tons of competition, which means all the films will under perform anyway.

Reactions: CZroe

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I honestly don't hold sympathy for sticky-floor movie theaters with whiny babies and people who talk/text during them.

Their entire existence is hinged on the fact that movie-studios are buckled from releasing the film via other means.

I haven't been to an AMC / Cinemark in... geez, probably over 10 or 15 years at this point? I have however been a few times to ones that serve food/alcohol, and in general don't have/allow young kids.

Tentpole films are easily 200M dollar investments and you are just not going to see a good return without theatrical runs, especially foreign ones these days. WB is also going to get buried under an avalanche of lawsuits because their deals aren't built for this model.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Announcing this right as a vaccine roll out starts is just an amazing choice that can't possibly end poorly for them.

Yeah. It's seems more like they know the vaccine could be (and likely is) a game changer so they wanted to get ahead of others realizing it in order to support their streaming service (HBO Max) with as little push-back as possible.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It seems realistic to me. Things will probably be trending down in the Spring through summer but I highly doubt they're going to see normal numbers before Christmas 2021 at the earliest. And people may have changed habits enough that demand for theaters remains depressed even after.

And most studios seem to be hoarding all of their films for better days. That means when things do come back there is going to be tons of competition, which means all the films will under perform anyway.

Yeah I don't really agree with this. Assuming vaccination goes at even a slightly lower pace than projected a meaningful exit from the current situation should be complete by summer. Also by say April or May you could have 150-200M immune from vaccination people wandering around who would be disposed to get out of the house.

There will be an absolute knife fight for screen space in the 2nd half of the year probably extending through mid to late 2022. That said the industry operates at relatively low utilization already so there's a lot of capacity available if people are willing to edge out to that next showtime a little earlier or later than typical. As long as similar product is not released too close together seems like it is possible to avoid too much cannibalization.

Nov 8, 2012
Tentpole films are easily 200M dollar investments and you are just not going to see a good return without theatrical runs, especially foreign ones these days. WB is also going to get buried under an avalanche of lawsuits because their deals aren't built for this model.

You're probably absolutely right - but I guess my point is that this market really needed some disruption.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

They aren't going to make more using Matrix 4, Godzilla vs. Kong, and 16 other movies as loss-leaders for their underperforming streaming service... at least, not right away (obviously hoping it gives them the kick in the pants they need). Competing would still be more profitable. Heck, there may even be significant pent-up demand come blockbuster season.

Can't say I agree after seeing how it's impossible to replicate the experience of something like Interstellar on 72mm IMAX at home until we have 16k VR.

...and then good luck sharing in that experience with someone. For most movies sure, I agree, but the ones I'd want to see in theaters are still worth it. Speaking of which, Christopher Nolan is going to be p*ssed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
One of the first things I do after getting my shots will be booking tickets to see something (anything really) at Alamo and ordering the fried pickles.

Reactions: local and CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Indeed. Many directors will be just as angry as the theaters.

...not to mention film purists/enthusiasts but, well, there are no contractual obligations to us and no pandemic clause to invoke. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: K1052

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Here's something I haven't thought much about: Will many theaters have gone bankrupt during the down time? I actually don't know how they're hanging on as is, I thought they operated on tiny margins.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Basically Chris Nolan's (and other directors) mood wrt WB decision:

View attachment 35348
LOL! ...and fitting since Tarantino is another large-format cellulose film die-hard/luddite. ;) Literally came out of retirement to film Hateful Eight because he came across some special 70mm Ultra Panavision film/cameras!

Last edited:
Reactions: K1052