NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 499 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
IIRC correctly, our Central Valley is only getting something like 15k doses, to be split by multiple counties, out of the 300k CA is supposed to get.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The number of available doses has to be pretty well known at this point through the end of the year and a lot of it sitting in storage/awaiting filling. Governors have been dribbling out info about how many doses their states are likely to receive of each so people at HHS/OWS have to be telling them something. I think getting Pfizer's vaccine to places (mostly hospitals) is going to be less tricky than making sure those places know to expect it, how much they'll get, when they might get more, and have a plan in place for staff inoculation that's actually going to work. I'm starting to think that mass inoculation centers are a better idea for everybody except long term care residents.
Pfiezer cut their expected delivery by half this year. Additionally, the vaccine requires 2 doses so the future supply chain of new vaccines are going to be cut as the first round completes their regimen. 20M doses = 20M vaccinated for the first round...but they'll have to manage the second dose and deduct it from new vaccination populations.

I'm really hopeful they can work out the logistics problem and that Moderna helps solve that problem for rural America and smaller towns where the virus is raging more than ever.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
edit: *furious commentary redacted for posting in P&N*

My presumption was that we exercised at least part of the option already but nope and now other countries are ahead of us after the initial 100M doses.

This must be part of the reason for his executive order saying the US must be taken care of before anything will be sent overseas. I am not sure where it is made but I'm guessing we can halt exports of the vaccine if we want.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This must be part of the reason for his executive order saying the US must be taken care of before anything will be sent overseas. I am not sure where it is made but I'm guessing we can halt exports of the vaccine if we want.

Because we are morons we're going to steal doses bound for places like Canada, the UK, and Europe most likely. I'm sure they'll take that well.

Also I don't like the odds that none of the supply chain runs through the people we're thinking of screwing over.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Because we are morons we're going to steal doses bound for places like Canada, the UK, and Europe most likely. I'm sure they'll take that well.

Also I don't like the odds that none of the supply chain runs through the people we're thinking of screwing over.

My thoughts exactly. Didn't we steal from each other at the beginning of this thing? No class.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My thoughts exactly. Didn't we steal from each other at the beginning of this thing? No class.

Yes the US went around Asia and bought shipments bound for Europe out from under them right on the tarmac. Totally reprehensible behavior.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Hoping to get more traction on vaccine development for children. Certainly happy that there's a decent chance at my wife and I getting vaccinated sooner than we'd expected...doesn't do much for our 18m/o.

Nov 8, 2012

Well... uhhh.... aren't we funding a ton of the shit that helped develop these?

While others are essentially going to mooch via zero help on the development, but glad to buy up the resulting vaccine?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well... uhhh.... aren't we funding a ton of the shit that helped develop these?

While others are essentially going to mooch via zero help on the development, but glad to buy up the resulting vaccine?

The Pfizer vaccine was developed by BioNTech (a German company). The US invested zero dollars in their R&D and Pfizer took no money either. Oh Trump also tried to snake BioNTech away from the Germans early on but got caught.

Moderna and J&J took development/trial money IIRC.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The Pfizer vaccine was developed by BioNTech (a German company). The US invested zero dollars in their R&D and Pfizer took no money either. Oh Trump also tried to snake BioNTech away from the Germans early on but got caught.

So literally the exact opposite? We're the ones not investing, then expecting to just buy whatever someone else makes before everyone else does?

@s0me0nesmind1 How does that make you feel?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Yeah, Moderna did, not sure about J&J, but sounds right. Can't remember what happened with the US money dedicated to building out manufacturing capacity in advance.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Doubt he'll reply. He always goes silent when his bullshit is exposed.
Unfortunately that's merely temporary. He's got many thousands of BS posts.

Edit:
Nailed it, knew he'd come back to triple down on stupid.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012

Yes, I understand Pfizer took the opposite route of the other many many companies that did oblige to our participation.

This still doesn't negate what I said overall - and to be quite frank, I find Pfizer's vaccine to be pretty shit overall with their distribution requirements and 2-phase approach.

Pfizer wasn't negated the ability to join our government funding, they simply chose not to likely because of requirements given under the German funding.

You also negate my overall point - I'm not talking about specifics such as Germany. I'm talking about all the others that are getting a piece of the pie - E.g. Canada. To which US + Germany and others that funded R&D should be giving the middle finger to.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
So literally the exact opposite? We're the ones not investing, then expecting to just buy whatever someone else makes before everyone else does?

@s0me0nesmind1 How does that make you feel?

You're an idiot. That is all.

Being able to name the one vaccine that obliged to not participate in the US program doesn't negate my underlying point. But of course, you take it to a snarky measure like a 2 year old.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, I understand Pfizer took the opposite route of the other many many companies that did oblige to our participation.

This still doesn't negate what I said overall - and to be quite frank, I find Pfizer's vaccine to be pretty shit overall with their distribution requirements and 2-phase approach.

If the argument is that they took US assistance to develop their product then it's just not correct to say that. The ultra cold chain is a slight disappointment but that's mostly a problem for rural America that only makes up about 50M of the entire population. Since Moderna is right behind Pfizer and they just need -20C for storage the vaccines can be used in different settings but working to the same goal sooner if we have sufficient supply. Adverse effects in their vaccine are also lower than Moderna's.

Pfizer wasn't negated the ability to join our government funding, they simply chose not to likely because of requirements given under the German funding.

Bourla kept away from our government for good reason IMO. The administration is unpredictable and unprincipled, not things you want when trying to bring a first in class vaccine to market in record time. They didn't need the money anyway.

You also negate my overall point - I'm not talking about specifics such as Germany. I'm talking about all the others that are getting a piece of the pie - E.g. Canada. To which US + Germany and others that funded R&D should be giving the middle finger to.

BioNTech took money from the German government for development but they also have their own production for that market independent of Pfizer who will handle the global market sans China where BNT has licensed their product.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Orange puke is now saying all vaccine made in US will go to US first through executive order. This will surely make other countries like USA more. :rolleyes:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The FDA posted Pfizer's presentation docs ahead of the meeting on Thursday. I'm not a scientist by trade but skimming through it looks preeeety good.

Notably the first dose appears meaningfully protective. This has been hinted at as a possibility in their previous data and in some interviews but they didn't want to tout it as a sure thing obviously.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 7.07.55 AM.jpg

Dec 10, 2005
The FDA posted Pfizer's presentation docs ahead of the meeting on Thursday. I'm not a scientist by trade but skimming through it looks preeeety good.

Notably the first dose appears meaningfully protective. This has been hinted at as a possibility in their previous data and in some interviews but they didn't want to tout it as a sure thing obviously.

View attachment 35279

A link to the document, which also includes safety data (including both solicited and unsolicited adverse events).

Reactions: K1052