NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 502 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Daily new infections for Japan is over 600, the most ever but daily number of new infections for India is down by a third from September's (high) number.

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
With the number of potential failure points in vaccine development it really is kind of amazing that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are sailing through so easily. They are making many of the other companies look like fools. I know that is not the case but that is the perception.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sanofi runs in to a significant hitch in their plans

The good news out of that article is that you might be able to skip the vaccine line if they get authorization to use an approved vaccine instead of a placebo in their own trials. If you want to skip the line, just sign up for their trial! You'll either get their unproven vaccine or a proven vaccine. Either way, it's better than nothing. :)

Reactions: ch33zw1z

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Sounds like Pfizer EUA will come down tomorrow. Vaccines should show up to hospitals Sunday/Monday with inoculations soon to follow.

Reactions: Captante

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The local ice maker is saying on the local news that all hands are on deck and all leave are cancelled at the plant so the dry ice can be made as much and as fast as possible.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sounds like Pfizer EUA will come down tomorrow. Vaccines should show up to hospitals Sunday/Monday with inoculations soon to follow.

It's my understanding that it's two doses 28 days apart, do you know if that's still the case?

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I was watching the local news and it was showing a forklift unloading a pallet of boxes containing syringes. It got me thinking back (a long time ago) to getting some type of vaccination in grade school. They didnt use syringes but somehow injected the vaccine with a hand held air gun. They were able to vaccinate the whole class in very little time. Is there any reason something like this cant be done today? One would think the faster you could administer the vaccine, the better.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was watching the local news and it was showing a forklift unloading a pallet of boxes containing syringes. It got me thinking back (a long time ago) to getting some type of vaccination in grade school. They didnt use syringes but somehow injected the vaccine with a hand held air gun. They were able to vaccinate the whole class in very little time. Is there any reason something like this cant be done today? One would think the faster you could administer the vaccine, the better.

In some cases, however, jet injectors could bring blood or other body fluids to the surface of the skin while the vaccine was being administered. Those fluids could contaminate the injector, creating the possibility that viruses could be transmitted to another person being vaccinated with the same device.

Of particular concern were viruses transmitted by blood, such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B and hepatitis C. HIV can lead to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) -- a chronic, life-threatening condition caused by damage to the immune system. Hepatitis can cause chronic inflammation of the liver and lead to serious liver damage.

https://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle...o-Clinic-Whatever-happened-to-jet-1293851.php

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Europe is having a resurgence within a surge, despite November mitigations and no U.S. Thanksgiving to blame. As Europe tends to be a leading indicator of what hits the U.S. in a few weeks, this is very ominous. Those who've predicted a worst-case scenario extending well into January may yet be proven correct. :(

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Europe is having a resurgence within a surge, despite November mitigations and no U.S. Thanksgiving to blame. As Europe tends to be a leading indicator of what hits the U.S. in a few weeks, this is very ominous. Those who've predicted a worst-case scenario extending well into January may yet be proven correct. :(

Still praying & hoping that I was wrong. :(

Not much else to do but cya.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
And in FL at least 4 of the 5 hospitals scheduled to receive the first doses will NOT require staff to get the vaccinations. I could not readily find the info for the 5th hospital. Various surveys show that 33%-40% say they will get vaccinated with about 20% undecided.

Tampa General - no
Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood - no
Jackson Memorial in Miami - no
UF Health in Jacksonville - no
AdventHealth Orlando - didn't find the info

Just more reasons for the populace to remain masked and vigilant.

• Wow

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
And in FL at least 4 of the 5 hospitals scheduled to receive the first doses will NOT require staff to get the vaccinations. I could not readily find the info for the 5th hospital. Various surveys show that 33%-40% say they will get vaccinated with about 20% undecided.

Tampa General - no
Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood - no
Jackson Memorial in Miami - no
UF Health in Jacksonville - no
AdventHealth Orlando - didn't find the info

Just more reasons for the populace to remain masked and vigilant.

I'm a fan of vaccines, but we simply don't have the long-term data on the COVID vaccine, which worries me. I had invasive surgery back in the 80's, was doped up with heavy antibiotics (before they knew the issues with that approach), and couldn't eat food for like 10 years as a result, so I'm a little on the wary side about things with no documented long-term results...