NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 383 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I just want to say that the quality of your posts in this thread has been amazing. You must work in the field. :)

Haha no I work in an entirely different industry but always found biology fascinating. Since I'm furloughed probably until August I've had lots of time to read articles and figure out what actual experts on twitter aren't full of shit and follow their analysis.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got my covid test results back today and they were negative. I kind of figured they would be. Was hoping for a positive since I feel fine now.

Nov 8, 2012
I just want to say that the quality of your posts in this thread has been amazing. You must work in the field. :)

I'll echo this - but not just here related to COVID - but you're also one of the few in P&N that I'll actually read because I know your opinion has at least some value ;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Haha no I work in an entirely different industry but always found biology fascinating. Since I'm furloughed probably until August I've had lots of time to read articles and figure out what actual experts on twitter aren't full of shit and follow their analysis.
Well, I just want to make sure you know your effort is noticed and appreciated! Thanks.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'll echo this - but not just here related to COVID - but you're also one of the few in P&N that I'll actually read because I know your opinion has at least some value ;)

Well thanks and I know we may not agree on tons of things but I appreciate that you take the time to read my posts.

Nov 8, 2012
Well thanks and I know we may not agree on tons of things but I appreciate that you take the time to read my posts.

I'll read any post that is more than 2-3 sentences. I'll ignore ones that are less than that and contain insults.

If I wanted an echo chamber I'd go to /r/politics or something.... Though P&N is getting pretty close. Overall I enjoy other opinions and am open minded regardless of what others would make you believe ;)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I wonder how honest they will be with any results, whichever way it goes?
It really boils down to how the vaccine handles the kidneys. You see, wee laddie buck, your kidney energy is being blocked by a dark chi, or what we like to call 'Wee Fung Chow Hu'.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Dang just found out my cousin got it. Lung damage. And she can't breathe without supplemental oxygen. She had no underlying disease and was a competitive triathlete.

Southern California Orange County

Stay vigilant guys

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Dang just found out my cousin got it. Lung damage. And she can't breathe without supplemental oxygen. She had no underlying disease and was a competitive triathlete.

Southern California Orange County

Stay vigilant guys
Studies show that when you stop smoking a lot more lung tissue regenerates than what Dr. Oz wants people to believe. I hope she bounces back. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: mopardude87
Dec 10, 2005
Only in America do we have "score cards" for receiving health care. What a joke.
Guarantee that this would happen pretty much any place where a healthcare system is becoming completely overwhelmed.

The issue here issue is we knew this could happen. We saw what happened in Italy and Spain; we saw what happened in New York. There was no excuse for it getting this bad again. We have large pockets of the population, including many leaders, who would like to just stick their fingers up their asses and carry on with their lives in spite of all the evidence.

Reactions: CZroe
Dec 10, 2005
Yeah. Sounds like that study was <insert expletive>.
Given the similarities of this coronavirus with other virii and the use of RT-PCR assays to detect RNA fragments in samples likely containing a lot of contaminants, it doesn't seem like a super insightful study. That's not to say the data is wrong, but it seems like it could be a dubious analysis of that data.

I also object to this communication by press release. The public picks up on these things before they are properly vetted. It's by no means a perfect process, but let's see what other experts have to say during the peer review process.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Given the similarities of this coronavirus with other virii and the use of RT-PCR assays to detect RNA fragments in samples likely containing a lot of contaminants, it doesn't seem like a super insightful study. That's not to say the data is wrong, but it seems like it could be a dubious analysis of that data.

I also object to this communication by press release. The public picks up on these things before they are properly vetted. It's by no means a perfect process, but let's see what other experts have to say during the peer review process.
I was really just making a fecal matter joke. They've been talking about how the body sluffs off the virus in fecal matter for months and that, as a result, there's been more evidence of where it's been. We also know that the identification of the virus as a real threat was far earlier in China than they are willing to claim. It's no wonder that they'd find traces in Italy/Spain/France by March. The first recorded case (so far) in France was around November/December if I remember correctly.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Only in America do we have "score cards" for receiving health care. What a joke.
That's not what this is. This is for rationing scarce resources, which is what often happens even with universal healthcare ...like so-called "death panels." They have to decide how best to allocate the limited resources.

Guarantee that this would happen pretty much any place where a healthcare system is becoming completely overwhelmed.

The issue here issue is we knew this could happen. We saw what happened in Italy and Spain; we saw what happened in New York. There was no excuse for it getting this bad again. We have large pockets of the population, including many leaders, who would like to just stick their fingers up their asses and carry on with their lives in spite of all the evidence.
Exactly, but they are really damned if they do, damned if they don't. See the reaction to their initiative regarding Remdesivir above.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I was really just making a fecal matter joke. They've been talking about how the body sluffs off the virus in fecal matter for months and that, as a result, there's been more evidence of where it's been. We also know that the identification of the virus as a real threat was far earlier in China than they are willing to claim. It's no wonder that they'd find traces in Italy/Spain/France by March. The first recorded case (so far) in France was around November/December if I remember correctly.

The article said it was sewage from March, 2019, implying that the virus was present in Europe over a year ago, which I find very doubtful.

Reactions: Ichinisan