NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 381 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Believe it or not, Connecticut is planning on having a "normal" 180 day in-class school year for the 2020-2021 school season.

Our infection rates look better than most of the country right now *, but it doesn't seem like a great idea. I think that they're greatly overestimating the hygiene and mask wearing abilities of smaller kids.

* Probably because the entire state is filled with Karen wannabes who complain on social media every time they see someone inside OR outside who is not wearing a mask. That's not what the law is, but never underestimate the power of an angry northeastern soccer mom :)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Most of the collages in the region are planning on having students in class in the fall. That may be supplemented with some online options too, i'm not sure on that.

Don't know what the area schools are planning yet.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Believe it or not, Connecticut is planning on having a "normal" 180 day in-class school year for the 2020-2021 school season.

Our infection rates look better than most of the country right now *, but it doesn't seem like a great idea. I think that they're greatly overestimating the hygiene and mask wearing abilities of smaller kids.

* Probably because the entire state is filled with Karen wannabes who complain on social media every time they see someone inside OR outside who is not wearing a mask. That's not what the law is, but never underestimate the power of an angry northeastern soccer mom :)
Young kids aren't a serious concern; they rarely ever have Covid-19. However, most schoolteachers and administrators are not young people. Also, it's possible for kids to asymptomatically carry the virus back to their households although I'm not aware of any hard science on that.

It's semi-crazy that colleges are planning for on-campus housing and classes, but we'll see what "conditions on the ground" are like in a month. What's completely insane is that college football programs believe they will not only play games this fall, but that there will be fans in attendance at some point this season. :eek: If you ever thought it was ethical or even moral to pay college athletes for their services, now is certainly the time.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

As I recall, WV was the last state to get a confirmed case, and had the slowest growth for a long time.
I guess people got complacent and started thinking they were safe.

Nov 20, 2009
Hey guys, July is in for 2020 and the next Swine Flu just got detected in ,,, wait for it ... China! WooHoo, can't we give a brother a pork rib flu epidemic or what!?!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
NJ Gov says no indoor dining.
West Virginia just banned indoor orgies.
I may go get tested again, I'm not 100% sure yet though. Yesterday there was a fire and it was very smokey outside while the wife and I were moving her furniture to a different classroom. Today, I'm feeling light-headed, and got a bit of a cough again and feeling a little winded. Also, my body just feels trashed, but it could be that I also helped my parents move stuff out of storage, and I'm on some new diabetic meds and I could just be low on sugar. I forgot my glucose meter at home so I can't check it.
I haven't felt right since February. When I lay down at night, I have a cough. It's not a deep cough and can become wheezing if I push myself to cough. I went to the doc and had labs run for the first time in 3 years....had a lung x-ray. Blood work was normal, besides my weight being up, I'm healthy.

I wondered if I was asymptomatic months ago, but the lung x-ray didn't show anything serious so all I can do is shrug. The cough is just an annoyance in the evenings when laying down. I turn 40 next month, so it could just be allergies or asthma from age....I just ran 3 miles a few minutes ago, so I'm not dead yet and it doesn't impact that.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Most of the collages in the region are planning on having students in class in the fall. That may be supplemented with some online options too, i'm not sure on that.

Don't know what the area schools are planning yet.

If I were in college now I'd take a gap year. Especially after many of them screwed people on refunds for room and board.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I haven't felt right since February. When I lay down at night, I have a cough. It's not a deep cough and can become wheezing if I push myself to cough. I went to the doc and had labs run for the first time in 3 years....had a lung x-ray. Blood work was normal, besides my weight being up, I'm healthy.

Not that its like what is going on with you but a few years back everyone in my house had a cold but it seemed to hit me the worst. I could barely breath to sleep at night, had to lie on my back and just let the snot run down my throat. The peak lasted a few days I guess. I've never been the same since, I have a flemmy hacking cough most of the morning before it clears by midday. Which is great these days since it makes me look like a corona plague carrier. "Don't worry! I've been like this for years!" isn't exactly a comforting explanation to tell people.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

As I recall, WV was the last state to get a confirmed case, and had the slowest growth for a long time.
I guess people got complacent and started thinking they were safe.
West Virginians know that teeth are a source of disease....so they pull em. It may be why they have fewer cases.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Not that its like what is going on with you but a few years back everyone in my house had a cold but it seemed to hit me the worst. I could barely breath to sleep at night, had to lie on my back and just let the snot run down my throat. The peak lasted a few days I guess. I've never been the same since, I have a flemmy hacking cough most of the morning before it clears by midday. Which is great these days since it makes me look like a corona plague carrier. "Don't worry! I've been like this for years!" isn't exactly a comforting explanation to tell people.
I have sources for prescription meds when I need them... I tried Zyrtec and it didn't touch the issues in my chest so I got some decent relief from Singulair, but it took a few days. I also did a few courses of Doxycycline and a course of steroids.

Singulair makes me sleep late when I take it.... mornings were rough when I was on it so I stopped. I'm hoping whatever is going on will go away the same way it started....one thought though is that I need to cut weight. My symptoms fall in line with acid reflux cough...I don't have acid reflux, but I gained weight. I may just be having issues from being overweight. I'm going to work on weight training and cutting again and see if that helps. (Thus the running and weights this morning)

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
California hasn't been doing too well lately - it's seeing a spike, though not as dramatic as some of the other states it's clearly moving in the wrong direction. Despite things closing down, I'm sure a bunch of stupids will be out partying on the 4th. There's too many around here.

We're done with the city. The whole point of higher density living has been ruined by this virus, and by the time things get back to normal we will have outgrown our apartment (we are pretty much already at this point). Had a COVID "scare" recently, but thankfully the test came back negative. Managing a very active 14 month old in a small space while actually ill is nearly impossible. It's one thing to be sick for 2-3 days and know you'll be fine soon - or even be able to bring in help if you're really under the weather. But it's another thing for this big unknown: it could be entirely asymptomatic or it could go on for weeks. And if we do end up getting it and being symptomatic - there's no help we can bring in.

We've already found a neighborhood in South OC that we like, and I'm about to start throwing offers to rent a home for an entire year up front (while we look for our own) so we can just move and be done with it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
California hasn't been doing too well lately - it's seeing a spike, though not as dramatic as some of the other states it's clearly moving in the wrong direction. Despite things closing down, I'm sure a bunch of stupids will be out partying on the 4th. There's too many around here.

We're done with the city. The whole point of higher density living has been ruined by this virus, and by the time things get back to normal we will have outgrown our apartment (we are pretty much already at this point). Had a COVID "scare" recently, but thankfully the test came back negative. Managing a very active 14 month old in a small space while actually ill is nearly impossible. It's one thing to be sick for 2-3 days and know you'll be fine soon - or even be able to bring in help if you're really under the weather. But it's another thing for this big unknown: it could be entirely asymptomatic or it could go on for weeks. And if we do end up getting it and being symptomatic - there's no help we can bring in.

We've already found a neighborhood in South OC that we like, and I'm about to start throwing offers to rent a home for an entire year up front (while we look for our own) so we can just move and be done with it.

The LA area had been a concern since things began and then exploded at Memorial Day parties and once the bars were opened. Most establishments that got inspected were not following the rules. I think most indoor drinking/eating is likely to be too problematic to police for the duration. Comparatively the Bay Area has done much better over the long haul. The biggest problem is the prison outbreak at San Quentin which DOC did to themselves.

Most of the people moving out of urban areas are in a similar boat as you with young kids. I think this has just accelerated for some people decisions that would have been coming in a few years time anyway.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news, possible a new type of swine flu that can infect humans and has the potential to cause a future pandemic, according to a study released on Monday.....

The world does not need more stuffs from commie china.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've been looking at the SouthEast States. I see that TN is pulling what FL did with changing up how they count cases to hide the severity. If you look at Google data, it appears to just stop on Sunday. A friend of mine said the new case count hit 2021 in a single day, so it's following the trends of the other states.

Another thing to note about Tennessee is that their death count is really low....as in, statistically, they're an outlier in a similar class as CHINA.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Latest news, possible a new type of swine flu that can infect humans and has the potential to cause a future pandemic, according to a study released on Monday.....

Yeah, but it's a swine flu. They have oinkments for that..... Bird flu, we have tweetments.

Coronavirus took a long while to sweep our country, but China got it right off the bat. Apparently, we got nothing in our "tool belt" and we'll have many dark (k)nights until they come up with vaccine.

Reactions: Roger Wilco
Nov 8, 2012
The LA area had been a concern since things began and then exploded at Memorial Day parties and once the bars were opened. Most establishments that got inspected were not following the rules. I think most indoor drinking/eating is likely to be too problematic to police for the duration. Comparatively the Bay Area has done much better over the long haul. The biggest problem is the prison outbreak at San Quentin which DOC did to themselves.

Most of the people moving out of urban areas are in a similar boat as you with young kids. I think this has just accelerated for some people decisions that would have been coming in a few years time anyway.

Goodluck to all those cities - they are going to be ROYALLY fucked once remote working fully takes over.

They used to always lean on folks and say "Yeah? You hate our shit? Oh well bitch, your job is here now pay up our ridiculous tax rates".

Nov 8, 2012
I've been looking at the SouthEast States. I see that TN is pulling what FL did with changing up how they count cases to hide the severity. If you look at Google data, it appears to just stop on Sunday. A friend of mine said the new case count hit 2021 in a single day, so it's following the trends of the other states.

Another thing to note about Tennessee is that their death count is really low....as in, statistically, they're an outlier in a similar class as CHINA.

It should have been defined from the start of how to categorize a "Covid death" - but because they weren't specific, it's going to be havoc.

George Floyd didn't die from COVID did he? Same goes for anyone that goes to an emergency room with a heart attack - I don't care what that COVID test comes back with - it's not a COVID death.

Instead - because of government funding related to what a hospital is compensated being based on how they declare a death... It's going to obviously skew to inaccurate results. Whoduhthunkit?

Dec 10, 2005
Goodluck to all those cities - they are going to be ROYALLY fucked once remote working fully takes over.

They used to always lean on folks and say "Yeah? You hate our shit? Oh well bitch, your job is here now pay up our ridiculous tax rates".
People don't just live in cities because their jobs are there. There are all sorts of other ancillary benefits over sterile, suburban SFH living

Reactions: K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The flu virus that caused the 2009 crisis is though to have come from farms in Mexico. They can come from anywhere so looking for what is around is good so inevitably you're going to find some stuff that needs to be watched.

Nov 8, 2012
People don't just live in cities because their jobs are there. There are all sorts of other ancillary benefits over sterile, suburban SFH living

I'm sure there are. But a huge chunk of the population (30%+) probably don't care for it and would be absolutely fine with 'burb living because it accommodates everything they need.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I'd be cautious about those kinds of predictions. Many were made in past pandemics and usually cities bounced back stronger economically after it passes.

I think more remote work will be allowed but mostly some people (especially those with small kids) might move to cheaper cities say in the sun belt where housing is easier to come by. Instead of waiting for companies to build out satellite offices people will just be allowed to go and WFH for at least the near term.