NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 382 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm scheduled to be tested again tomorrow. Should get results in 3-5 business days, but might be longer as more tests are being conducted. Buddy of mine was tested last Wednesday and still hasn't gotten results yet. Feeling much better today, I have a suspicion it was just my sugar levels being thrown out of whack, but I'm scheduled so I'll get tested again for piece of mind.

My workplace has it backwards with the whole WHF. We were sent home, and the building was closed to the public. We opened back up about 2 wks ago, and now we're been required to return to the office again. Doesn't make any sense. Especially since we were able to get 99% of our work done from home. Gotta love working for the gubment....

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
People don't just live in cities because their jobs are there. There are all sorts of other ancillary benefits over sterile, suburban SFH living

I'm not sure what the "benefits" are for living in a city right now in 2020. The bars and clubs are closed, as are the concert halls and museums. The remaining entertainment options are about as good as a small town, except that your taxes are higher in the city and you have a much higher chance of catching the virus or a rioter firebombing your property. No thanks.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not sure what the "benefits" are for living in a city right now in 2020. The bars and clubs are closed, as are the concert halls and museums. The remaining entertainment options are about as good as a small town, except that your taxes are higher in the city and you have a much higher chance of catching the virus or a rioter firebombing your property. No thanks.

The virus is rampaging through rural and suburban America in the south as we speak.

Reactions: Brainonska511
Nov 8, 2012

The most you can argue are things like zoos, theme parks, museums, etc... I would think. Maybe "public events" like parades downtown, etc.

I guess you could also say public transit? Personally I'd rather kill myself then ride public transit.

Personally I go to those places so little that I have no problem driving in if I ever REALLY wanted to (which again - would be as rare as once every 2 years or so).

But yeah - as far as shopping, good restaurants, etc... I can find plenty of those that satisfy me just fine in the 'burbs. Plenty of local events as well.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The most you can argue are things like zoos, theme parks, museums, etc... I would think. Maybe "public events" like parades downtown, etc.

I guess you could also say public transit? Personally I'd rather kill myself then ride public transit.

Personally I go to those places so little that I have no problem driving in if I ever REALLY wanted to (which again - would be as rare as once every 2 years or so).

But yeah - as far as shopping, good restaurants, etc... I can find plenty of those that satisfy me just fine in the 'burbs. Plenty of local events as well.

Around where I live, the theme parks are also closed and most of the parades and festivals and whatnot are cancelled. I'd also want to avoid public transit right now as well.

Gotta face it... city life in 2020 sucks. There's a reason why all the vacation rentals in my neck of the woods were filled with NYC residents three months earlier than usual this year :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Apparently California and a few other states got added to Cuomo's tri-state quarantine order:

I have no idea how they're going to enforce that in New York. Connecticut's governor has already said that he's not planning on fining anyone.

But, seriously, how WOULD you enforce that? Have the cops pull over anyone driving with an out-of-state license plate on the ban list and lock them up in a hotel room?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It should have been defined from the start of how to categorize a "Covid death" - but because they weren't specific, it's going to be havoc.

George Floyd didn't die from COVID did he? Same goes for anyone that goes to an emergency room with a heart attack - I don't care what that COVID test comes back with - it's not a COVID death.

Instead - because of government funding related to what a hospital is compensated being based on how they declare a death... It's going to obviously skew to inaccurate results. Whoduhthunkit?
Actually, COVID-19 is causing a bunch of cardiopulmonary deaths from clots, blood vessel damage, and other stuff so it absolutely could lead to a heart attack. It would be main suspect in any severe case where the person died of a heart attack. It is affecting the circulatory system in ways we could not predict. This is why they err on the side of counting these deaths. It sure how they could have had guidance on that "from the start" when we obviously didn't know from the start.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It should have been defined from the start of how to categorize a "Covid death" - but because they weren't specific, it's going to be havoc.

George Floyd didn't die from COVID did he? Same goes for anyone that goes to an emergency room with a heart attack - I don't care what that COVID test comes back with - it's not a COVID death.

Instead - because of government funding related to what a hospital is compensated being based on how they declare a death... It's going to obviously skew to inaccurate results. Whoduhthunkit?
My understanding is that most hospital systems don't want covid in their facilities because it's a cleaning and quarantine nightmare. For those communities with fewer cases, they don't want the PR that there are cases in their hospitals because it will cause normal business to decline. That's why so many nurses have been furloughed this year.

Feb 4, 2009
Believe it or not, Connecticut is planning on having a "normal" 180 day in-class school year for the 2020-2021 school season.

Our infection rates look better than most of the country right now *, but it doesn't seem like a great idea. I think that they're greatly overestimating the hygiene and mask wearing abilities of smaller kids.

* Probably because the entire state is filled with Karen wannabes who complain on social media every time they see someone inside OR outside who is not wearing a mask. That's not what the law is, but never underestimate the power of an angry northeastern soccer mom :)

Mass is sort of the same at the time being with the warning “subject to change”

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched a video with Faucci and what he said didn't shock me. I just knew that this virus will be a huge issue come Fall. It's going to be really bad, because people aren't taking this seriously. It's barbeque time. Let's get 100 people together. No mask needed. I can easily see a 500k death count by next year. Remember. Half the people in America believe that this is real. The other half believe that it's fake. People are going to have to get it, then get really sick to believe that it's real sadly.

Reactions: dingster1
Nov 8, 2012
Apparently California and a few other states got added to Cuomo's tri-state quarantine order:

I have no idea how they're going to enforce that in New York. Connecticut's governor has already said that he's not planning on fining anyone.

But, seriously, how WOULD you enforce that? Have the cops pull over anyone driving with an out-of-state license plate on the ban list and lock them up in a hotel room?

It's all just fantasy land stuff.

Nov 8, 2012
Shit is about to really hit the fan pretty soon.

About to get rid of federal unemployment @ $600/week at the end of July.... on top of that, protection from eviction will also expire.

Meanwhile congress/senate are on vacation until the end of July lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think this pandemic would have been a good time to do a trial of UBI. Cancel all forms of financial aid including unemployment, and give everyone UBI. From an accounting perspective I think it would be simpler and end up costing less. People who don't need the money would be more likely to spend it on non essentials, which would help with the economy too. Of course, you need to actually get corporations to pay their fair share in taxes for that to work and no government wants to do that.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Shit is about to really hit the fan pretty soon.

About to get rid of federal unemployment @ $600/week at the end of July.... on top of that, protection from eviction will also expire.

Meanwhile congress/senate are on vacation until the end of July lol.

I think the Senate comes back the third week of July. With cases surging and businesses laying off again it seems inevitable that they're going to have to renew the UI boost through the fall.

Nov 8, 2012
I think this pandemic would have been a good time to do a trial of UBI. Cancel all forms of financial aid including unemployment, and give everyone UBI. From an accounting perspective I think it would be simpler and end up costing less. People who don't need the money would be more likely to spend it on non essentials, which would help with the economy too. Of course, you need to actually get corporations to pay their fair share in taxes for that to work and no government wants to do that.

I agree in the sense of it costing less than people realize.

Right now we have entire departments for administrating things like food stamps, health insurance benefits, child health insurance, disability, housing, welfare, single mothers, etc... Each one of those has a call center, accounting, and people who investigate for fraud, etc.

If we had UBI (and they legitimately replaced the other programs with it) then there would be zero need for a department. Just an automated process of distribution of funds..

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Freaking China. Looks like there's ANOTHER virus with pandemic potential now thanks to them.

Also not sure if related but there's a video floating around of them burning pigs ALIVE. Just brutal. At least shoot them first.

Why are you already getting angry and blaming China? They haven't covered anything up or done anything egregious that we know about yet with regard to this new swine flu. This is how most new flus happen... normally, and the last big Pandemic Swin Flu came from North America without an early warning like this. In this case it hasn't even happened yet... just has the potential to reassort and spread through humanity.

The video you are seeing is probably from the gigantic cull they did many years ago to stop a virus because there is a lot of shocking video from that out there already. Even if it is a new video it sounds like you'd rather they act like nothing is wrong and do nothing or very little, which is what they deserve criticism for in the early days of 2019-nCov (now SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19). Don't you think that's a bit... irresponsible?

This isn't a bandwagon against China. Keep the criticisms pointed and specific. China has to answer for their early cover-ups and lack of transparency regarding the current pandemic. They told the rest of the world to keep their doors open and not to worry about it all while moving to secure masks and impose an extreme lockdown of their own.

No one else here discussing the same news jumped to conclusions like you did (no, you weren't the first to mention it). Step back and re-evaluate your reaction to this new swine flu. Your current behavior is undermining our valid criticism of what happened with SARS-CoV-2.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
China approving vaccine for use by military: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...-approving-it-for-use-in-military/?comments=1

Will be interesting to see how well it works. Seems promising.

I expected China would start doing stuff like this.

The results they posted about this vaccine were somewhat underwhelming probably because they used a human adenovirus as the vector which some people will have immunity for. The question is how effective is this vaccine really? 80%, 50%, 35%? My money would be on the lower end of the scale. China also has inactivated virus and mRNA vaccines in the pipeline too so I think they're aware.

The Oxford vaccine is the same platform but they used a chimpanzee adenovirus which few, if any, people should have immunity for.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I expected China would start doing stuff like this.

The results they posted about this vaccine were somewhat underwhelming probably because they used a human adenovirus as the vector which some people will have immunity for. The question is how effective is this vaccine really? 80%, 50%, 35%? My money would be on the lower end of the scale. China also has inactivated virus and mRNA vaccines in the pipeline too so I think they're aware.

The Oxford vaccine is the same platform but they used a chimpanzee adenovirus which few, if any, people should have immunity for.
I just want to say that the quality of your posts in this thread has been amazing. You must work in the field. :)

Reactions: mopardude87