New Zen microarchitecture details

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Dresdenboy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. nismotigerwvu

nismotigerwvu Golden Member

Yeah, honestly the only thing keeping 7 on a few of my machines is Windows Media Center since of my combination of provider (TWC who encrypts everything) and my cablcard tuner (Ceton Infinitv) means Windows Media Center is my only option. I moved my gaming PC to 10 over the weekend and it was a breeze. I'm toying around with hack~ish means of running WMC on 10 on the gaming PC but it isn't really that stable.

2. superstition

superstition Platinum Member

No, nor does what you quoted make that argument.

3. superstition

superstition Platinum Member

1) Skylake required a different motherboard chipset and RAM (except for one Gigabyte board that offers DDR3 support but which still relies on a different chipset).

2) Broadwell C supply was highly constrained — to the point of people paying much higher than MSRP and being able to buy them only from oddball sources like independent Japanese vendors on Amazon as well as Ebay.

Skylake failed to outperform Broadwell C in most games with discreet graphics and in some other tasks, making the requirement of a new board and RAM quite a case of toe-stepping.

The argument that Skylake was purposefully designed to not step on Broadwell's toes seems contradicted by pretty much everything I've read, including the fact that Skylake shipped with an EDRAM controller.

4. DrMrLordX

DrMrLordX Diamond Member

Depends on a lot of factors. Sure they could support Vista on up, but . . .

Are we talking people buying servers or workplace desktops? I would think AMD would be quickest to offer "legacy" OS support for firms with numerous old Windows Server licenses. For large buyers with major Win7 desktop installations, they might do custom jobs the same way MS offers support for XP on a demand basis.

For everyday schmucks trying to hold on to Win7 just a little bit longer . . . frankly I don't know what incentive AMD has to cater to that audience. MS is probably going to pay them under the table to move primary support to Win10 anyway. Something is pushing Intel in that direction. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a quid pro quo of some kind.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Intel's going that route now, and AMD will probably follow suit.

Well, the other thing is . . . if you don't want to undercut Broadwell-C with Skylake-C (or whatever it would be called), why release a new chip that's actually slower than the old one? The only reason I could see had to do with margins. Intel knew they could get away with it due to supply constraints (that you cited in your post), and they probably figured they could reap greater profits selling a non-eDRAM part as their flagship consumer CPU.

Broadwell-C sort of let the cat out of the bag on what Intel could be doing to keep pushing performance. They're deliberately not doing it because they see no reason to outdo themselves by more than %5 per generation. What they don't seem to understand is that their penny-wise, pound-foolish approach has made the desktop profoundly uninteresting to many buyers who just see no need to participate in the desktop market, period. One could argue that Intel's decisions wrt Skylake etc. are driving down industry sales. AMD isn't helping matters either, really. Maybe with Zen, they can change that. Maybe.

#2204 DrMrLordX, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. dooon

dooon Member

AIDA64 Extreme Version: 5.75.3916 beta (Jul 14, 2016)
    http://www.aida64.com/downloads/YTdiMzQyZGM=

6. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

I predict that the top tier 95W Zen CPU from the initial release group will have the following passmark scores:

13000 Multithread
    1800 Single thread

This prediction is based on the fact that Nvidia engineering + TSMC 16nm appears to be more than 50% ahead of AMD engineering + GF14nm in terms of perf per watt. And Intel should at least be able to match Nvidia+TSMC, if not outright beat them.

7. swilli89

swilli89 Golden Member

Not intended to offend, but this is about the worst approximation I think I've ever seen in my life.

8. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

Would you care to place a bet on what the passmark scores will be?

9. frozentundra123456

That is about equal to stock 5820K, so it doesnt seem unreasonable, especially if they really adhere to the 95 watt TDP.

Zen will have 8 cores, so that is 33% more cores, but if the ipc is 10% less and clockspeed is 10% less, you are left with about 10% faster in multithreaded than 5820K.

10. Insert_Nickname

Insert_Nickname Diamond Member

Wait, wait. AMD competing with a 5820K? I can live with that... :biggrin:

11. guskline

guskline Diamond Member

I notice that the AIDA64 download dooone linked to is an Engineering beta. What significance does that have? Is Zen starting to be more rigorously tested "out in the wild"?

What info, if any can we derive from these Aida64 listings?

12. MajinCry

MajinCry Platinum Member

That ain't going to be remotely close ta true. Expectin' the wee broke guy ta come out with something that'll compete with the corpulent blue goliath is, err, gonna set ya up ta be let right down.

Zen's gonna be around Sandybridge-Ivybridge performance, if that +40% performance improvement thingie is reliable. There's nae chance of AMD being able ta trade blows with Haswell's finest.

13. coffeemonster

coffeemonster Senior member

Excavator in the Athlon 845 is 1774 single thread at 3.5(3.8 turbo)

if ZEN has +40% IPC at the same clocks then it would be more like 2483 single thread

#2213 coffeemonster, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  14. frozentundra123456

You seriously think it will be 20% faster than Haswell (5820K) in single thread??

15. DrMrLordX

DrMrLordX Diamond Member

I'm surprised the 845 gets a 1774 ST in Passmark.

16. KTE

KTE Senior member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10436/amd-carrizo-tested-generational-deep-dive-athlon-x4-845

It would be a BIG achievement for me if Zen topend 8-core 95W at launch could get ~1800ST with <3300MHz.

That would make Zen 1GHz ~ EXC 1.15GHz. So Zen would need to start >3.4GHz to outdo older AMD CPUs in low-threaded apps.

4 Core scaling is usually 3.5-3.75 in good synthetic tests.

While I suspect Zen 1GHz = EXC 1.2GHz on average, frankly, I don't see the above power and frequency requirements happening.

Sent from HTC 10
    (Opinions are own)

17. el etro

el etro Golden Member

Passmark is not more a relevant benchmark as it was someday... even Geekbench shows better the computer performance these days.

18. Dresdenboy

Dresdenboy Golden Member

19. AMD Polaris

AMD Polaris Junior Member

Hi all, I've got some info about Zen ES stage. I thought you would like to see it after the many off-topic Polaris posts. :)

Zen ES is at the moment in revision A0 - it might not be a suprise.

L2/L3 variations: 2/8 MB, 4/16 MB, 8/32 MB, 12/64 MB, 16/64 MB
    (512kb L2/core, 8MB/4 cores)

Core counts are: 4c/8t, 8c/16t, 16c/32t, 32c/64t. As it seems now there won't be a 6c/12t at the launch, there will be only complete core complexes. Later AMD might release a 6/12 version, will see.

AMD's working on 2 kind of packages: AM4 and SP3. Later there might be a SP4 package of course.

4 variants of ES Zen are available at the moment:
    AM4 8 cores with 95W TDP
    AM4 4 cores with 65W TDP
    SP3 24 cores with 150W TDP
    SP3 32 cores with 180W TDP

The most exciting part is core clock. The 8c/95W variant's base clock is 2.8GHz, all core boost is 3.05GHz and maximum boost is 3.2GHz.
    The 4c/65W part's clock is the same. (I would expect 3.5GHz base clock for a retail 4c/95W variant.)
    Idle clock is exciting as well. AM4 versions can lower the clock to 550 MHz in idle which is a very nice level from an AMD CPU. Idle wattage is 5W for 8c version and 2.5W for 4c version.
    The SP3 versions have even lower idle clock: it's only 400MHz. Regarding the boost clocks the 32c/180W version has a 2.9GHz boost clock and the 24c/150W version has a 2.75GHz boost clock.

AFAIK Intel has no answer for the 32c/64t Zen variant, so it could be a great win for AMD on the server market.

What AMD is doing different in case of Zen is the purpose of the CPU. AMD doesn't build it for the future but for the present. Maybe it won't be strong in AVX and FMA but an average user won't realize it because the average user won't use the AVX and FMA capabilities. Average Joe will see that Zen is as fast as Haswell on Intel's side (if AMD won't screw it up) and it's enough for everything what Average Joe does on his PC.

On server side Haswell IPC and high core count with a reasonable price will convince the customers to give AMD a try. And I hope AMD can grab the chance after all the years of failures. :thumbsup:

#2219 AMD Polaris, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    prtskg, FieryUP and guachi like this.
  20. KTE

KTE Senior member

Mr Naffziger is slowly bringing his Itanium expertise to AMD

Hiroshige states 28nm to 14nm FF nets 65% lower power or 55% higher performance, 15% CU gains, 1.9-2.8x performance per watt, at 53% die size (in light of AMD GPU slides).

5% Core gain, 30% lower power at 55% die size would alone be a winner for Zen...

Sent from HTC 10
    (Opinions are own)

21. Roland00Address

Roland00Address Golden Member

So you are arguing it is worse than the i7 2600 in single thread at a passmark benchmark, but better than the i7 2600 in multithread at a passmark benchmark due to 8 actual cores?

i7 2600
    ST 1921
    MT 8257

13000/8257=57% higher

22. mikk

mikk Platinum Member

To me it sounds like some wishful thinking written from some AMD fanboy. And given how many fakes we got from AMD stuff in latest years I somehow doubt this is true. It's not even clear if these predictions are based on some official data/tested data or just some stuff made up from your wishful thinking. That's very dangerous. I think this is mixed with wishful thinking.

23. AMD Polaris

AMD Polaris Junior Member

Yeah, I understand you. If I were you I wouldn't believe either to a nobody who comes from out of the blue and writes things like that.

Please do not be deceived by my "wishful thingking", focus on the technical info instead.

Regarding my "wishful thinking": I've tried to stand with two feet on the ground when I wrote those thoughts at the end of the post. Please pay attention to this: "if AMD won't screw it up". It's the key of everything what AMD is gonna show us in the next 6 months.

24. Arachnotronic

Based on what you have written, it seems "average Joe" would be better served with something like a 4790K (4.2GHz base/4.4GHz turbo) with its much higher single-threaded performance than with an 8C/16T CPU.

25. dark zero

dark zero Platinum Member

Even a Celeron N is OK for an Average Joe...