[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 272 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I usually try to put myself in the spearhead of the enemy attacks. I find more often than not a good player can manage to hold off the whole column with help from 2-3 tanks. Even when I die, I will usually have killed 1-2 of their top tanks or damaged a bunch of them and made the rest easier for the lemmings to handle. Then I just hope the other side can roflstomp the other terribads on the other team.

With XVM you can actually determine which tanks are the most dangerous and focus fire on them first, removing the green/purple players on the other team makes it much more likely for your team to win if you have superior numbers.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I only have 50k free xp atm and it'll take 100k to get the tracks/turret/gun for the E50. Sure I could use 2k gold to convert the extra 50k xp I need, but I dont find it worth it. Unless the tier 10 E50 is a beast, I'll most likely shelve the E50 for awhile. I'll try to play it once or twice a day to get the double and then thats about it. I'll probably end up going up a TD line once the patch hits, and I'll need my free xp more for that.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
With the gun its an awesome sniper. Without the gun its a bigger slower panther 2 that gets worse matchmaking.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
MM has been horrible to me the last couple days. Grinding credits is painful now. Going like 20% win rate over the course of 40-50 matches sucks.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
any idea on how much exp is needed for the tier X mediums and TDs? I read it somewhere but it was in an early test version so I don't know if they tweaked it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
any idea on how much exp is needed for the tier X mediums and TDs? I read it somewhere but it was in an early test version so I don't know if they tweaked it.

I believe the E50m was 187,000 exp. The Patton was ~165,000 exp but needs to research the top gun at like 60,000 exp. Not sure about the Batchat or T62A. Probably close to 180K each.

icefhishin

May 15, 2005

patton to tier10 205k including top gun 45k less if you don't include it in the total
e50 to tier10 183k
t54 to tier10 200k
704 to tier10 301k
t95 to tier10 240k
t30 to tier10 211k
jagdtiger to tier10 210k

i have managed to get all the xp needed for the 268, patton2, and t110e4...about 40k short on the e50 and 50k short on t110e3

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
eesh, still about 120k away from the obj and 20k short on the e-50. Don't look forward to grinding the e-50 with tier 10s all around.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have got a ways to go until the E50m. Need about 5.5 million credits and about 100K exp. The M48 is even further away. I havent even got past the Pershing yet.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
See? T-50 or T-50-2? Both are good.

T-50

25k away from T-50-2

circle of death is hilarious. So is blocking T9's so they can't escape. So is arty hunting...

Amazing how much your play improves when you stop suiscouting :D

BTW, anyone got a link to patch notes?

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Took me 140 games but I now love the t-50

What do you do? I have only just got my efficiency up to average, crew are getting towards 100%... and I'm starting to enjoy darting about... but the gun sucks. Can't pen half the stuff I'm pitted against even in the rear. Some of my best games have been the ones where I haven't even fired...

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
What do you do? I have only just got my efficiency up to average, crew are getting towards 100%... and I'm starting to enjoy darting about... but the gun sucks. Can't pen half the stuff I'm pitted against even in the rear. Some of my best games have been the ones where I haven't even fired...

1. When the game opens up I only scout half the map. I basically pick a flank and run up halfway. Then I either camp out and wait to see if the enemy shows up, or I make a loop around the map and circle back to our base. If I camp out, my purpose is spotting/letting my team know which side the enemy is rolling to.

2. If I see an enemy scout related to the above, I hunt his ass down. This usually brings me back to our base anyway. Otherwise, I wait until I see the enemy...at which point I run back to our base and let the big boys hold the line.

3a. If there is a weakside (i.e. no enemies), I usually run that way and try to get behind the lines to hunt arty. Might have to camp out for a few minutes until this point of the game - alt tab + ATOT while waiting.

3b. If there is no weakside OR if I'm on the bottom, I will find where the big boys are playing and piss off bigger tanks. This usually involves fighting around rocks, buildings, circle of death, etc. I circle of death lower tier tanks, and I block larger tanks from retreating. Or I will try to draw fire away, letting our heavies do the work. Basically a lot of run/hide/pissing people off. Hell sometimes I circle of death large tanks just to piss em off - hopefully arty will come in and do some damage, or that KV-3 across the map saves my ass...

One of my favorite strategies here is finding a 2v1 (ie 2 of our guys vs 1 of their heavy tanks). I rush up to their rear and start firing away. Rushing up to their rear also blocks their retreat. So their option is to either turn around and try shooting you (letting your allies do some major damage) or to sit there and take it. HE spamming while doing this will also fuck up their aim.

Not penning used to piss me off, but I will HE spam to try to kill crew members or draw fire. I'm also very aware of where enemy guns are pointing. As long as the guns are not pointed at me, I will run out and pew pew to piss a tank off. Sometimes I get lucky and do damage :D

I usually live > 5 minutes using this strategy and it's been pretty fun.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
its pretty much what I do with the t-50-2. However if I see targets of opportunity I will try to kill a Lowe, tiger or tiger II. Russian tanks have more sloped armor (no reliable pens from the side) and american turrets are generally too fast so its dangerous.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
MM has been horrible to me the last couple days. Grinding credits is painful now. Going like 20% win rate over the course of 40-50 matches sucks.

When I hit a cash-influx problem (or face a long grid for credits), I fire up my Löwe...that thing just spits out credits...I easy make +40K...on a loss...+100K on a good match o_O

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
When I hit a cash-influx problem (or face a long grid for credits), I fire up my Löwe...that thing just spits out credits...I easy make +40K...on a loss...+100K on a good match o_O

jesus christ.