[MMO] World of Tanks

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone else playing in the closed beta?

Even though it's closed, I think they're still giving out keys.

http://www.worldoftanks.com

This is pretty sweet!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ATOT channel created, password moomoo

In-game, click the Channels button at the lower left corner of your garage. Search for ATOT and join the channel :)

Teamspeak3: kgomes.dyndns.org:9987 Pass: test (32 slots max)

Ventrilo: kgomes.dyndns.org:3784 Pass: test (8 slots max)

If anyone wants admin privileges, PM me and I'll set you up.

Tanker's Handbook

Is a very detailed guide that I found useful.

Thanks abaez!

Also, Elcs has made some great tank guides.

Light Tank Guide
Medium Tank Guide
Heavy Tank Guide
Tank Destroyer Guide

In-game Player Names:

Nik: PlayerNumber6 (2nd name change because wargaming are a bunch of assholes)
Elcs: ElcomeSoft
DarkForceRising: DarkNoghri
ivan2: shuut
slag: Sasnak
PlasmaBomb: PlasmaBomb
The Boston Dangler: Peter_Gunn
Lupi: Lupi
Bockie: Bockie
Jimmah: Coolbeans
Merad: Merakys
Icepick: Icepick127001

I know there are others. If you'd like your name here for easy access, drop it in the thread or PM me and I'll update the list.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
LOL. The trailers ARE pretty good. It actually looks kinda fun for a change of pace.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Now this looks good.

Going to try and get into some sort of Beta for this. Kinda hope they make it very simple really, not complicated.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Anyone else playing in the closed beta?
Yup. It's where most of my gaming time is going recently, despite me being in the middle of Mass Effect 2.

Kinda hope they make it very simple really, not complicated.

It seems complicated at first, with lots of confusing names and numbers, but it's really not. It is a bit grindy though.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Just signed up... hope they have some good British tanks

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Applied for the beta. This seems a real good idea for a game. Hope it can match the intensity of battles in my favorite tank game of all time battlefield 1942.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005

Not yet. Currently only German and USSR, except for some of the premium (bought with real money once they're out of beta) tanks, which I'm unsure of the nationality of.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

The next big patch (rumored to hit end of the month, but that's this past weekend and it didn't happen yet) will have American tanks added to the current list of USSR and German tanks.

I play this pretty much constantly.

Apply for the beta and you'll have your beta key in about a day.

If anyone's interested, or they see JesusHChrist blow them to tiny pieces, say hello and we'll team up FOR THA MOTHALAAAAAAND :cool:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Now this looks good.

Going to try and get into some sort of Beta for this. Kinda hope they make it very simple really, not complicated.

It's not complicated at all. Spawn, hold your base, go scouting, team up and roam around the map in groups, take the enemy base, go hide in a corner, arty the crap out of some mammoth tank that's way on the other side of the map and listen to him bitch about arty in the public channel, etc.

mwuahahaha...

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Applied for the beta. This seems a real good idea for a game. Hope it can match the intensity of battles in my favorite tank game of all time battlefield 1942.

have you ever played red orchestra? IMO it has the most epic tank battles ever available

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Fun game and I've been playing it a lot myself. The easiest way to think of it as team fortress, with tanks. Hopefully they'll add some new game modes in an upcoming patch.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have my registration code.

Extremely disappointed from the above that they don't have any British tanks in yet. They could have added a couple for each of the major nations (you'd think they'd have them from the two biggest contributors to the WW2 arena).

Time to register and start downloading.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
extremely disappointed? it's CLOSED BETA and they're still adding things.

Relax, Francis. :p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
extremely disappointed? it's CLOSED BETA and they're still adding things.

Relax, Francis. :p

But you have to admit they needed to introduce the British and German tanks first :p then they add the Russian and US tanks (fits in with a timeline and oh guess what, the lovely trick of an MMO, an expansion :D)

Having fun but I find I die randomly. Apparently this is artillery which is simply homing shells. Nevermind, enjoying my T-26 :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
imo the only cool British tank is the Firefly. Churchill and Cromwell were infantry tanks.

I love the EVE online teaser lol.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
played this awhile ago back when the only tanks were soviet and german. I liked it. I typically played the artillery and at the lower level tanks, it was one shot pop instant kills if you were good at aiming. At higher level tanks, the arty no longer 1 shot pop some of the big boy tanks.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
imo the only cool British tank is the Firefly. Churchill and Cromwell were infantry tanks.

I love the EVE online teaser lol.

The Firefly was a Churchill modified with a flamethrower, much like the Sherman.

The Centurion was also a nice late war British tank.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The Firefly was a Churchill modified with a flamethrower, much like the Sherman.

The Centurion was also a nice late war British tank.

Firefly was a Sherman with a British 17 pounder(76mm) high velocity gun. It is the only western allied tank except the Pershing or the tank destroyers that could deal with Tigers and Panthers at range.

Centurion never saw combat in WWII.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Firefly was a Sherman with a British 17 pounder(76mm) high velocity gun. It is the only western allied tank except the Pershing or the tank destroyers that could deal with Tigers and Panthers at range.

Centurion never saw combat in WWII.

Ah yes... the Churchill with the flamethrower was the Croc?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
But you have to admit they needed to introduce the British and German tanks first :p then they add the Russian and US tanks (fits in with a timeline and oh guess what, the lovely trick of an MMO, an expansion :D)

Having fun but I find I die randomly. Apparently this is artillery which is simply homing shells. Nevermind, enjoying my T-26 :)

The T26 isn't bad. It's ridiculously maneuverable, fast enough, and packs enough of a punch to take on KV/KV3. You'd probably be much happier going the T34 route. The T34/T34-85/T44 are all faster and more armored than the T26. They're all smaller, too.

One of my biggest gripes is that, for what it offers, it has a freakin huge ass end that's hard to hide.

Also, who the F cares about timeline? It's a video game where you get to drive a tank and blow up other tanks.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Oh, and those of you who are considering purchasing the Churchill and other gold-only tanks, forget it. They're fixed build so you can't upgrade them and they're all absolute shit.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Just a notice for those who've signed up:

There's a big ol' patch coming (supposed to be 9/6? 9/7? something like that but I can't find their forum thread about it) that will add more maps and the American tanks to the list. When that happens, they're going to "soft wipe" (or whatever the hell) the servers. You'll somehow keep xp, but I'm not sure how they're going to go about it.

If you just started the beta, please don't be upset if you have to re-roll the same tanks you've been stuck in for a day. It's okay, you'll be out of them quickly again :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I signed up and got my code. Sounds kind of interesting; unfortunately I have no idea when I'll actually get a chance to play.

KT