[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 354 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
You miss the part where their reload times are increasing 20% and their hang times are increasing 15%? And the part where they're being limited down to 4 per match?

That's something like 40 second reload for some of them.

Saying that arty isn't getting nerfed is just plain wrong.

You miss the part where people are hitting MORE shots than they were despite the "accuracy nerf".

Regarding reload speed, it assumes this: that you have your next target lined up when you are reloaded. It is the classic DPS trumps all fallacy. More often, during the reload process, targets come and go, and after reload you can wait for the target to reappear or swing your big massive boomstick towards another and re-aim.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
ThinClient - I suggest you read the release notes and discussion regarding them. For example, the S51 is bumping up one whole tier (to tier 7). On the test server *it appears* that it has the same matchmaking as every other tier 7 tank. It can see as low as tier 5 tanks and as high as tier 9 tanks.

RIGHT NOW, as a tier 6 SPG, it gets tossed into tier 9 or 10 battles. Which means the LOWEST tank it can see currently is a tier 7 and the highest a tier 10.

But all of this could change before release. If it doesn't then every tier play other than 10 just took a massive hit. I would not like to play any tier in pubs if I am facing even harder hitting arty than I used to.

I would rather see them balanced. Imagine the hardest hitting arty was a 105 (from say a priest). The reload speed stays the same the pen values increase as the higher the tier increases (so the chance to pen the higher armored vehicle remains about the same). So you take ~350 damage every 7 seconds *if* they hit all the time. Splash stays as complete crap.

That's not 'balanced', and arty is intended to be the biggest damage dealer in the game.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I would like to see most arties' splash increased, faster splash damage fall-off, all armor's resistance to HE increased substantially, roof armor increased, and HE penetration reduced substantially. All that together would go a long way toward averaging out arty's damage. Close misses would deal consistent light to moderate damage, but one-hit KOs wouldn't happen anymore (unless it was a direct hit through rear armor, in which case I think they deserve it).

One thing standing in the way of this is their schizophrenic attachment to historical accuracy. For example, the JP2 has about 30mm on its roof, in front of its casemate. That means it is basically unplayable if there are any good arties on the field. But, it is historically accurate... for a vehicle that never even had a prototype built. Meanwhile other vehicles' parameters are changed all the time in the name of better game balance.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In response to the request for a refund for the gold spent to train arty on eagly eye, since it doesn't work for arty mode but they don't show that in the description, they said they'd forward the problem to development, but they don't do any refunds. That's crappy customer service.

I explained to them how they could learn a lot from McDonalds' customer service and how I cancel a lot more gold spending to punish them for the bad service.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Wrong.

Arty are getting moved up a tier or two, so they'll be against higher tier tanks, making them less effective at penetration and damage.

Their round flight time is increasing. Their reload time is increasing.

They will be limited to 4 per match but I'm not sure if that's total or per team. Per team would still suck nuts.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Almost all the high tier SPGS right now have +2 tier spread, with top tiers in battle tier 11-12 (sees only tier 9 and 10 games). So when they move up 2 tiers in the next patch (some are moving up only 1), they'll be facing the exact same tanks they were fighting before PLUS stuff 1 tier below because they will now use regular MM.

On top of that, there's new arties with big guns in mid tier. For example, the SU-122A has a 900 damage gun with 90~ penetration, or you can get a nice HEAT round with 240(!?) pen. This is an arty that's fighting TIER 3 TANKS.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/images/a/a0/Matchmaking_Chart.png

http://ftr.wot-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mm86.png

Come 8.6, the SPGS get a significant indirect buff by having their battle tiers LOWERED and fighting squishy low tier tanks. Their paper stats will be lower, but it doesn't fucking matter because now they can be 1 shotting tanks 2 tiers below them.

The reload "nerf" is laughable and is barely noticeable. Most of the time you're not lobbing shells as soon as they load so they whole "oh I will reload 5 seconds slower" means squat.

The shell trajectory isn't slow enough to matter. In comparison, a shot with a 4 second hangtime (basically shooting across the whole map right now, from edge to edge on a big map) will have the shell land HALF a second later. Big fucking whoop. Lead a tiny bit more.

The only arty that seems to have gotten fucked over is the T92 (and the su-26). The rest are just fine.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Earlier today I went ahead and bought the E100. I figured I might as well add it to my collection since its on sale. Not planning on using it due to all the arty at Tier 9 & 10 but I got it cheap in case I do want to use it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
What do people think of getting the tier 4 French arty premium that's being removed from being sold in the next patch? People seem to like it.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Frodo you would be so proud of me. I solo pubbed the E-100 for a few games last night. I ended up going 6-1 with it. I'm still using the 12.8cm, and I'm about halfway to the 15cm. This tank can be beastly if used right. Below is an example of how two of my games turned out.

The first one, the only reason I died is b/c at the end our m103 was 95% capped out, and there was a foch155 with me near my base (so no chance of losing). So I had a little over 1k hp, and he had 1 shot left and I was on the high ground. So I decided to just roll down and ram him (he still had like 1k hp). Needless to say he shot me on my way to him and took me to less than 100hp, and I died ramming him. I still did some good damage to him, so it was all worth it.

Also, almost every game I survive on this, I seem to get a steel wall.

http://i.imgur.com/F8rrzEU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DGjcOfq.jpg

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Devs said in the interview accuracy buff does not apply to artillery.
Devs said, but test server experiences say otherwise.

Frodo you would be so proud of me. I solo pubbed the E-100 for a few games last night. I ended up going 6-1 with it. I'm still using the 12.8cm, and I'm about halfway to the 15cm. This tank can be beastly if used right. Below is an example of how two of my games turned out.

I am glad you like it. The thing is amazing. Best game I ended up with it was getting a sniper/steelwall/top gun with 20 shots fired. 20 150mm shots. Who the hell lets somebody shoot that gun 20 times!!!?

I don't know if you will like the 150mm over the 128. Miss with the 150mm and you are getting rushed.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Devs said, but test server experiences say otherwise.

I am glad you like it. The thing is amazing. Best game I ended up with it was getting a sniper/steelwall/top gun with 20 shots fired. 20 150mm shots. Who the hell lets somebody shoot that gun 20 times!!!?

I don't know if you will like the 150mm over the 128. Miss with the 150mm and you are getting rushed.

I try to never really be alone, which helps keep me from getting rushed. I like to reverse PAB, hiding my front and lower glacias, fire, angle my turret, and then actually stay slightly in the open to actually give the enemy something to shoot. Its amazing at how many people will still shoot at the sides of my tank when I'm angled like that. Its bounce, bounce, bounce, and every once in awhile they actually track me. Its great cause those are all shots not hurting my team mates, and I can keep multiple tanks distracted this way.

Plus I think most people see a 63% unicum in an E-100 and immediately assume I have the 15cm. So people are still just as afraid. Also if I get an above average roll on the 12.8, they may think I just got a low roll on the 15cm, and think they are safe for 17s, and aren't expecting to be shot again in 12s.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Finally figured out what I needed for Ace Tanker in IS3:

is3_mastery1.jpg

is3_mastery2.jpg

is3_mastery3.jpg

Not that I received much help from my team, but then again, that always seems to be the case....

The best was the damn WZ. I was basically alone against 6 tanks (forget the map name, but it is the one with the big hill climb to the north of the one base, with the city in the middle nested in a valley between a mountain on the southwest and a cliff to the north, with a peninsula on the southwest). I was on the team that started in the west, and was holding the north side pass back to base. Eventually the other 3 tanks with me died to the superior numbers of the other team (9 vs 4). I was basically alone against 6 tanks, the WZ 131, Indien-PZ, Tiger II, Tiger, Lowe, and IS (only had arty backup). The WZ 131 comes storming around and down the hill, flanking me and pops me once in the rear/side, but since no one else on his team was able to move into a firing position to support him, I turned my turret to him and simply 1 shot him (he had full health and I ammo racked him). He must have been cursing. By then the other tanks had finally made it over the hill that I was using as cover from their advance, and the Indien-Pz charges down the hill towards me firing as he went. I angle towards him and proceed to face hug him and blowing him up (using him as a shield/cover from the other tanks). I then managed to trade shots with the Tiger and Tiger II, doing some nice damage to the Tiger forcing him to retreat (but my arties manage to get him a few moments later). The IS also pulls out to hit me and I return the favor. He retreats as well, and is killed by arty fire. The Tiger II is moving at me the entire time trying to get a good shot at me. I am constantly angling on his shots and bounced a bunch of them (I am in a pretty tight spot with the edge of the map and the dead Indien and WZ around me, which I am using as cover from their arty which was still alive and could otherwise easily hit me). The Tiger II finally manages to get into a face hugging position on me. At this point I really only have one good hit left in me, and I manage to still get 2 more shots off at the Tiger II, but it just wasn't enough and he finally pens me.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I know I have said it before, but I think I am finally growing bored with the game. The last bastion I had was pubbing and now that is just plain dull too. Although I did have the pleasure of annihilating a 71!?%'er in my E100 yesterday. He went a bit too far and paid for it. He was in a 704, I two shot him and he only got one shot off. Should never have been where he was in a TD.

I think I made a huge mistake buying the T95. I did not even make it out of the spawn area before I was spotted and nuked by 4 arty.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I know I have said it before, but I think I am finally growing bored with the game. The last bastion I had was pubbing and now that is just plain dull too. Although I did have the pleasure of annihilating a 71!?%'er in my E100 yesterday. He went a bit too far and paid for it. He was in a 704, I two shot him and he only got one shot off. Should never have been where he was in a TD.

I think I made a huge mistake buying the T95. I did not even make it out of the spawn area before I was spotted and nuked by 4 arty.

It's ok, arty is getting nerfed. ;)

The 110E3 seems pretty nice, but you gotta be able to deal with arty constantly pounding on you. I hate arty so it would infuriate me. I get pissed enough in my E100s and those are rabbits compared to the T95.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
I'm quite burnt out on Tanks now as well and am really only hanging on until the end of the current clan wars event. I haven't even run doubles consistently in at least a month and last weekend I finished one set of triples on 3 tanks and that was it. I generally just log in to help run CW and then I'm done. I'm not even diehard about this M60 thing, I'm just doing it to help my clanmates, as I find diplo tedious as hell, low tiers are staggeringly imbalanced (it's so f'ing retarded that WG tried to make them part of clan wars), and it is frustrating to have to deal with all of the massive egos and the assholes that litter other clans.

The other thing that really blows is that pubbing at tier 8-10 is basically ruined by all the min-max statwhoring unicum platoons. IS-6/T-54/T57 spam, nonstop premium ammo, queue manipulation, it's all quite disgusting. Your best option is to just join their ranks and do the same thing but it's unfulfilling at best and monotonous and wearisome at worst. This game would be so drastically improved if they removed premium ammo. Now that WG doesn't really make money off gold sales for ammo anymore, there is little rationale to keep it in the game, and it makes balance a joke.

I took a 4-5 month break a little over a year ago when I was getting bored and it let me come back much more refreshed, so I think that is what I need now.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm quite burnt out on Tanks now as well and am really only hanging on until the end of the current clan wars event. I haven't even run doubles consistently in at least a month and last weekend I finished one set of triples on 3 tanks and that was it. I generally just log in to help run CW and then I'm done. I'm not even diehard about this M60 thing, I'm just doing it to help my clanmates, as I find diplo tedious as hell, low tiers are staggeringly imbalanced (it's so f'ing retarded that WG tried to make them part of clan wars), and it is frustrating to have to deal with all of the massive egos and the assholes that litter other clans.

The other thing that really blows is that pubbing at tier 8-10 is basically ruined by all the min-max statwhoring unicum platoons. IS-6/T-54/T57 spam, nonstop premium ammo, queue manipulation, it's all quite disgusting. Your best option is to just join their ranks and do the same thing but it's unfulfilling at best and monotonous and wearisome at worst. This game would be so drastically improved if they removed premium ammo. Now that WG doesn't really make money off gold sales for ammo anymore, there is little rationale to keep it in the game, and it makes balance a joke.

I took a 4-5 month break a little over a year ago when I was getting bored and it let me come back much more refreshed, so I think that is what I need now.

i just fire up a new EMAIL address and start over.. have max Tiered 2 accounts (one Russian , one German), and am working on my 3rd now.. im in tier 7 with American. I also grind a little in the other nations.. but just 1 battle a day for the 2X. I find the low to mid levels are much more fun. Higher tiers with bad teams is ugly on epic scale. Lower levels you can change a match pretty easy with some skill (wish i had that skill :) )

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Lower levels you can change a match pretty easy with some skill and the right tank (wish i had that skill :) )

Fixed that for you...

If you are in a crap tank for the tier it won't matter how good you are, the tank is still crap.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
You are preaching to the choir about the joys of t8-10. I am enjoying my pz 3/4, 3001p, Tiger P, and ELC, but I also have an is8, 704, t44, and JP2 that I don't even try with anymore. I used to love all of those, but with the endless power creep, plentiful gold rounds, and the aforementioned "statwhoring unicums" it is far more frustrating than enjoyable to play them. I still get good mileage out of my t59, but its matchmaking is better than a normal t8.

Things should be (incrementally) better after 8.6. T6+ will make more credits, APCR's normalization is being cut substantially, HEAT derps are being nerfed down to sanity, HEAT's penetration mechanics have been changed (nerfed), non-arty tracers are gone, camo is getting reworked (buffed), and spall liners will be slightly less useless. None of that is HUGE by itself, but I think it will add up. I also think they should be doing more, such as reworking HE entirely, or having separate matchmaking pools for individuals and for platoons, but this is all we're getting for now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
Well I finally got the 100mm on the Su-100 and...its not going as well as I had hoped. Not doing enough damage against higher tier tanks. Spent a game literally firing 26 shots at a Tier 8 tank at long range, did 50 damage in total. Too far to aim for weak spots or such, but i was hoping to at least track him or something. Its a half decent gun, but I wish I could do more damage against tier 5 tanks. If they get close to me, even they can 1 shot me...

Least I got the sharpshooter awards for that.

I think im going to try out the 122 ASAP.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You are preaching to the choir about the joys of t8-10. I am enjoying my pz 3/4, 3001p, Tiger P, and ELC, but I also have an is8, 704, t44, and JP2 that I don't even try with anymore. I used to love all of those, but with the endless power creep, plentiful gold rounds, and the aforementioned "statwhoring unicums" it is far more frustrating than enjoyable to play them. I still get good mileage out of my t59, but its matchmaking is better than a normal t8.

Eh, I pug all my games. I find that I'm losing more because of shitty morons than "unicum groups" wiping the teams out. Quite frequently I'll have 4-5 morons in top tier tanks that don't even get a shot off before they die. When you are in a tier 9 match and your top 3 tier 9s all go down without firing a shot it makes it really fucking hard to win. I've been cutting back though, have too many other games to play to worry about daily doubles.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well I finally got the 100mm on the Su-100 and...its not going as well as I had hoped. Not doing enough damage against higher tier tanks. Spent a game literally firing 26 shots at a Tier 8 tank at long range, did 50 damage in total. Too far to aim for weak spots or such, but i was hoping to at least track him or something. Its a half decent gun, but I wish I could do more damage against tier 5 tanks. If they get close to me, even they can 1 shot me...

Least I got the sharpshooter awards for that.

I think im going to try out the 122 ASAP.

That line doesn't really get fun till you get the bl-10 on the ISU-152. There is nothing like one shotting tier 6s, and halfing other tanks your tier. Even tier 10s think twice before confronting one. It then just gets better after that with the 704 and 268.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh I played last night for the first time in 3 weeks. Did some clan battles which were actually pretty fun for once. But then took the T110E5 out for some pub action. Just like the M103 it attracts the worst teams. Just dont know how it happens lol. The two games I played we had a 38 and 40% chance to win. Ended with me doing 3200 and 3600 with 2 and 4 kills and a flaming death. Win rate in this thing is hovering around 42% /facepalm