[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 352 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
If you read the interview article they talk about doing away with pay to win and they also mention gold shells, Premium, camo and other things. They dont go into details but they mention it all the same. Which made me pause and think 'are they doing away with this or what?' Hence why I made the comments I did in my last post. Until they clue us in on the details its speculation. It has others wondering though. Then that mod bruhaha fired up and now I'm wondering if mods are part of this change too change too or was that just a timely coincidence? Luckily for me I dont use mods.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
The mods are client-side. They can't tell what mods you're using, as far as I understand it. Considering that mod in question gives you absolutely NO unfair advantage, there's no reason to lock the thread about it on the US servers. Especially when the russian thread isn't locked or removed.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I believe the references to removing pay-to-win are just that, references to the ongoing efforts to make everything payable by credits that used to be payable by gold only, and leaving only premium accounts and premium vehicles left as cash sinks (and possibly the permanent cosmetics, too).

They are rolling out with the unified premium account philosophy at the same time (this is live now, I think) as well, giving added value for the money and trying to keep people of both high income and high skill levels interested without giving "whales" an "I win" button.

I had the good fortune of being able to attend the Baltimore player gathering Tuesday, and The Chieftain had some very enlightening things to say. The North American player base is a pale fraction of the Russian (and rest of Europe) playerbase, but we have roughly over ten times the average disposable income to throw at the game, and we do, frequently.

Average PCU on the NA server is about 40K or something like that I think; on the Russian server it's 250K or 300K. NA and RU players also have vastly differing ideas about how the game should be balanced and how it should play, but overall they still try to keep everyone happy because they know if they alienate the NA players, they cut off the spigot and the RU players will suffer for it.

Overall, Wargaming is getting ready to pull off some cool stuff with the new games coming out and the e-sports ideas they've been touting lately. If they do well, WoT will be around for another 8-10 years and should continue to thrive and be as free as you want it to be the entire time. Warplanes is in beta now, and Warships should be getting there soon if it isn't already.

That said, we talked a hell of a lot about tanks in general too, had a lot of brew and chow, and one of the other players brought 10 model tanks for The Chieftain to give away as prizes in addition to the Wargaming swag they gave out. Cool stuff all around. All said, about 35 were present and had a decent time. A shame that WGNA didn't send more than one person, but I can understand why they only sent The Chieftain. He was already here doing research on tanks.

I'm kind of fired up for 0.8.6 too. The artillery changes don't seem to be too crippling, and the accuracy changes on the tanks are :thumbsup:. It's nice to hit the shit you aim for every now and then!

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Warplanes is beyond bad.

I played it for a few hours this week (in anticipation for next week). I don't get all the hate. Sure the joystick controls are useless (way too hard to hit targets), but the mouse controls work fine, they just take some getting used to. Flying planes though, just isn't as tactical as tanks, there are no bounced shots, and no rocks to hide behind.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
lol the type 59? i have one and it's not that great, everyone knows where to hit one now, and it's prone to racks
i must admit in the last 6 months i don't see hardly any. But god I hated it back a year ago .. Ok speed, excellent turret, low profile.. decent gun.. I bounced so much of that tank i thought it was made of rubber. I know nobody seems to think it was a big deal.. maybe wasn't, but i had bad luck fighting it.. I own one too.. but I have never played it.. zero stats on it.. I hated it.. my little "fu" was to buy and not play it.. silly I know.. but what i did.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I played it for a few hours this week (in anticipation for next week). I don't get all the hate. Sure the joystick controls are useless (way too hard to hit targets), but the mouse controls work fine, they just take some getting used to. Flying planes though, just isn't as tactical as tanks, there are no bounced shots, and no rocks to hide behind.

It's pretty crappy though. I made the mistake of playing War Thunder and can't even bring myself to patch up WOP anymore.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Too many experimentals. Terrible controls and the hit point system that is fine for tanks. But for planes imo is just stupid. I tried it out over a year ago and it was terrible. I tried it again recently and it is still horrible. Also it doesnt help Warthunder is such a good game.

I got their email a couple days ago bribing me with gold. Not sure it is even worth trying again for free gold. I guess if there is a free 30 mins this weekend. Maybe see if they have improved it at all.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Every place I go to on the net people really talk how bad Warplanes is. If one guy is saying it that is one thing but when a whole lot of people say it it makes you wonder. I'm talking about people who claim to have tried it too.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
Play War Thunder, it's awesome, and i'm not a fan of airplanes at all. I tried it, loved it, but didn't keep playing.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

Remember, just because you can't doesn't mean someone else can't. I'm in TS right now with 2 professional pilots and they're using their joysticks and they're mopping the floor with other players.

Warplanes is only bad if you are wanting a flawless flight simulator instead of an arcade flight combat game.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Remember, just because you can't doesn't mean someone else can't. I'm in TS right now with 2 professional pilots and they're using their joysticks and they're mopping the floor with other players.

Warplanes is only bad if you are wanting a flawless flight simulator instead of an arcade flight combat game.

BRTky.jpg

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010

Yeah sure, I guess if I flew a plane for a living I would be better with a joystick. The mouse controls work fine though, they just take a little getting used to.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
wow just had an epic game in my M46 Patton, 6394 damages, 7 kills.
On some maps this tank just excels when there is no tier 10s.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Doesnt appear to be much better than when I retried it again a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UMSoxJKAk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8yev6MQp8I

They should just scrap it and move onto the World of Warships.

I found that second review to be harsh just for the sake of being harsh.

that said, game looks boring as fuck - you're right, it's just not as tactical as tanks. it's a glorified air combat game similar to any other iOS air combat game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
so the question is, can you sidescrape with your IL-2 and bounce cannon shots from a bf-109?

..... I kid I kid...

Oct 25, 2006
Man, I'm getting tired of grinding the Su-85. It just seems to perform so... medicorely with the 85 mm gun. It's fast enough, but its damage seems low. I'm at like 700,00 credits out of 950k or so.

At least the Su-100 is supposed to be really fun with the 122.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Man, I'm getting tired of grinding the Su-85. It just seems to perform so... medicorely with the 85 mm gun. It's fast enough, but its damage seems low. I'm at like 700,00 credits out of 950k or so.

At least the Su-100 is supposed to be really fun with the 122.

Wait until the ISU-152 with the BL-10. Really fun.

Last edited:

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I had the su85 when it still had the 107. I actually kinda hated the su100 because its gun was barely any better than the su85's and it's, of course, a tier higher. These days the su85 is actually balanced, and the su100 is where it is at.

I also had a lot of fun with the SU152, and I never "upgraded" the derp; 175mm of pen on a t7 TD was just too low for my taste. I used the same derp on my ISU152 until I unlocked the BL10, which is glorious, but being a large t8 with no armor got old fast. I upgraded to the 704 and never looked back. 120mm of front armor doesn't sound like much on a t9, but it is angled well and the mantlet is huge, 300mm thick, and offset.

Granted, all that derping was before the big HE change brought some sanity to derps, but now that you can buy HEAT for credits who cares?