[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 232 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
For my commanders with 3 skills I have BiA, mentor, recon. Would probably start repair if I ever make it to a 4th.

Same.

BiA are across the board the first skill on all my tanks. Recon/mentor is either 2nd/3rd depending on the tank. The KV and KV5 have recon, as do my TD's.

The driver has soooo many good skills to take it is tough, but most of my tanks have clutch braking for their second.

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012

Almost every single loss it was because only 1 guy + me took one flank and the whole other fricken team went the other way. And yep about 2 minutes in into the game here comes 5 tanks vs the 2 of us. We die they kill the arty and the rest is history. Then when I'm winning I see the same mistake by the other team.

I just don't get what is wrong with people in this game.

I would have thought lemming behavior would cease in higher tiered matches after players become more experienced and better players. However, I often see it there too. It used to frustrate me to see my team leaving a flank wide open, but then I realized that it's just a game and some people play it mindlessly. I'll often just wait and go fill the gaps in situations like that.

The funny thing is that more often than not, the flank that has all the team lemming over to will get wiped out. That might be another indicator to their tanking IQ and the effectiveness of their style. And if they are successful with their lemming assault, more times than not, it's only because there were enough intelligent tankers playing the other side to slow down the enemy from the other flank to give them enough time to cap.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My question to you guys is, are you seeing any benefits from these new perks? And if so how much? Nobody seems to know just how much these new skills/perks help. Supposedly the percentages are very low. So far I been making BIA first, repair second unless it is a TD and then camo is first. My tanks that have crews far enough to have more than two I been withholding choosing on the third because I'm not sure how good these new perks are.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I would have thought lemming behavior would cease in higher tiered matches after players become more experienced and better players. However, I often see it there too. It used to frustrate me to see my team leaving a flank wide open, but then I realized that it's just a game and some people play it mindlessly. I'll often just wait and go fill the gaps in situations like that.

The funny thing is that more often than not, the flank that has all the team lemming over to will get wiped out. That might be another indicator to their tanking IQ and the effectiveness of their style. And if they are successful with their lemming assault, more times than not, it's only because there were enough intelligent tankers playing the other side to slow down the enemy from the other flank to give them enough time to cap.

Nope. Even at high tiers, scrubs never get better. They want to shoot one or 2 rounds and then die like in call of duty, and they're satisfied with that. Or they'd be afraid of getting hit, even though the other tank has 100 hp left and they have full health because they'd have a repair bill. The bad players are now making it into tier 8 and 9 tanks without ever getting better, so you have suicide pershings, E-50s, Maus, IS-4s that don't know how to hide their weak spots, etc.

The mentality is just completely different. Granted some people snap out of that mentality and become good (or want to become better and do their research) but they are rare. Most people just want to get into a tank and go pew-pew.

As for skills, I've definitely seen an improvement with clutch braking and off roading. I can now traverse the muddy parts of the swamp map in my e-75 fairly speedily. :D

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
My question to you guys is, are you seeing any benefits from these new perks? And if so how much? Nobody seems to know just how much these new skills/perks help. Supposedly the percentages are very low. So far I been making BIA first, repair second unless it is a TD and then camo is first. My tanks that have crews far enough to have more than two I been withholding choosing on the third because I'm not sure how good these new perks are.

The precise percentages are documented here:
http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Crew

As far as I've heard, those numbers are accurate. Only exception is BIA where I've heard the bonus is to reload more like 3-4% if you have vents/rammer installed, indicating that the bonus maybe 5% for a 100% crew but slightly less for >100% crews. (Example: say rating X is 1.0 with a 100% crew. Then it's 1.05 with BIA. But say rating X is 1.2 due to extra bonuses... with BIA, it'd become 1.25 instead of 1.26.) But I haven't investigated that myself.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Nope. Even at high tiers, scrubs never get better. They want to shoot one or 2 rounds and then die like in call of duty, and they're satisfied with that. Or they'd be afraid of getting hit, even though the other tank has 100 hp left and they have full health because they'd have a repair bill. The bad players are now making it into tier 8 and 9 tanks without ever getting better, so you have suicide pershings, E-50s, Maus, IS-4s that don't know how to hide their weak spots, etc.

The mentality is just completely different. Granted some people snap out of that mentality and become good (or want to become better and do their research) but they are rare. Most people just want to get into a tank and go pew-pew.

lol I once had the same illusion in my mind... that in high tier games, people would stop behaving like idiots b/c everyone who makes it to tier10 has to be a decent player! Right? RIGHT?!?! *cries in the corner*

With a decent platoon, I actually find it much easier to win in tier9/tier10 than in say tier8. In tier8, you can get stuck as the punching bag of a tier10 game... and if your tier10 players are all morons, you often cannot save the match even with 3 tier8s in a platoon.

But with 3 tier10s in a platoon, we have to actually fuck up to lose. It definitely happens, like we misjudge how weak a flank is or surprise buttsex from arty/autoloaders. Or someone gets too agro and gets their asses handed to them. But for the most part, 3 tier9/10 heavies (w/maybe one of them as a tier7/8 arty) can kick ass.

I dunno, I play pub matches under the assumption that I can't count on my team to do anything competent. Usually once the shooting starts I'll find another player or two to move with b/c they're doing reasonable things. If my platoon (of good players) and I control all/most of the high tiers, then we can make a huge impact and carry the win. Like recently my tier 9/10 win rates are about 75%.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
There are alot of shitty tier 10 players out there, but sometimes what may seem thier fault, is just good luck on enemy arties. I've one shotted IS-7s in my arty in the first 1-2 minutes of the game, getting those hits in is mostly just luck. I've hit T110s for 1400 dam and lit them on fire, they're pretty fucked after that. When I platoon my arty with my brothers, tier 10s can go from full health to dead in a few seconds.

I also agree, a platoon of 3 tier 10s is hard to lose, but it can be done. I've now just gotten into the habit of turning back to base after winning my side. In almost every instance the other flank has fallen and base defense is required. The best part is most caps are in wide open spaces with no cover, so its easy pickings.

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
Trying to earn the 3.5 million credits needed to buy the IS-4 (before the 7.3 patch goes in) I was playing my derpy KV money maker last night, and had a great tier 9 match.

In tank alley on the Himmelsdorf map, I worked behind a VK4502(P) using him for a shield -- VK's are a great shield as its heavy frontal armor seemed hard to penetrate by the many big enemy guns shooting at him. I was offering supporting fire to the VK, supplementing the VK's firepower with my big derp gun. The derp gun on the KV was equivalent a sword in this framework.

I hit 8 of my 9 derp shots and got credit for an IS-4 kill (hit him twice) and a Tiger II kill (hit him twice) in the process. I earned about 33K in credits and about 1600XP (on a non-premium account). That also earned me my first ace badge. It was one of my better matches in my KV lately.

Watching the replay, I saw that the Tiger II I dispatched congratulated me with a "great shot KV" which is very refreshing to see. I love playing with really good sports like that.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I'll unlock the T110 this weekend, but I only have 1.2 mil credits so I'm nowhere near getting it. :(

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The precise percentages are documented here:
http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Crew

As far as I've heard, those numbers are accurate. Only exception is BIA where I've heard the bonus is to reload more like 3-4% if you have vents/rammer installed, indicating that the bonus maybe 5% for a 100% crew but slightly less for >100% crews. (Example: say rating X is 1.0 with a 100% crew. Then it's 1.05 with BIA. But say rating X is 1.2 due to extra bonuses... with BIA, it'd become 1.25 instead of 1.26.) But I haven't investigated that myself.

Thanks for that link. I been wondering what all the details were. This will help a lot.

JCFalkenberg

Apr 25, 2012
Trying to earn the 3.5 million credits needed to buy the IS-4 (before the 7.3 patch goes in) I was playing my derpy KV money maker last night, and had a great tier 9 match.

In tank alley on the Himmelsdorf map, I worked behind a VK4502(P) using him for a shield -- VK's are a great shield as its heavy frontal armor seemed hard to penetrate by the many big enemy guns shooting at him. I was offering supporting fire to the VK, supplementing the VK's firepower with my big derp gun. The derp gun on the KV was equivalent a sword in this framework.

I hit 8 of my 9 derp shots and got credit for an IS-4 kill (hit him twice) and a Tiger II kill (hit him twice) in the process. I earned about 33K in credits and about 1600XP (on a non-premium account). That also earned me my first ace badge. It was one of my better matches in my KV lately.

Watching the replay, I saw that the Tiger II I dispatched congratulated me with a "great shot KV" which is very refreshing to see. I love playing with really good sports like that.

Cool, I got my Ace KV badge last night in a similar fashion: 3 KV 152 platoon: we gangbanged a M26, a 4502p ausf A, a T20, and I blasted a PzIV. KV/152 platoons are too hilarious, I'm gonna be sad when it gets raised to T6. IIRC, I got 1575 for it - also no premium.

On the skills/perks thing:
Ya'll that are choosing mentor might want to re-do the math on it: a clan mate of mine did and it just isn't worth it.

My take on it:
Everyone should get BIA first, or something else, then Gold transfer the exp to BIA. since Wargaming is lazy as hell and the BIA patch can't be any closer than 6 months at best and I'd be surprised to see it within a year.

For heavies and mediums, repair is always a solid choice.

SPGs can skip repair, I don't know TDs outside of the T30 particularly well - I just treat it like a heavy tank that doesn't shoot on the move though.

after BIA/repair, it really depends on what your tank's role is:
-Mediums and heavies that shoot on the move, the vert stab stacking skills (snap shot & smooth ride) are fantastic.
-Scout tanks of course want to increase view range(even if you are already at max range, you will spot camoed tanks sooner). Pattons with all of the above are scary as hell.
-Scout tanks & SPGs camo helps.
-SPGs and TDs can both use snapshot despite not having turrets, this is often a reasonable choice.
-SPGs and Scout tanks can make good use of clutch braking (for different reasons obviously), scout tanks might want to take other skills first though.
-E50 + controlled impact = hilarious. (controlled impact doesn't help much unless you are both heavy and fast)
-The other stuff is either situationally useful, or totally worthless: eg Signal boosting is a total waste of exp; firefighting is OK on german tanks, but otherwise I wouldn't bother, etc. etc.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
man i cannot for the life of me figure out the object 261, the low trajectory is throwing me off bigtime.
should i have the center of the reticle in the middle of the turret like before? i've read both ways , put it at the edge closest to you, and put it at the edge farthest from you.
this is frustratinggggggg

on another note i have 1 shotted tigers already but it's not consistant

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
controlled impact isn't as useful as you think because the other vehicle has to be moving. Firefighting is always worthless in comparison to an extinguisher, and if you're lit up twice in a single game you're probably fucked anyways.

I like the view range upgrades, clutch braking and the rugged terrain thing. Improved mobility is always a plus for me, and I'm not banking on BIA bug getting fixed/not/whatever until WG confirms it.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you can change crew skills at any time with no cost or penalty? If that's the case then this is the time to experiment worth the skills that look sorta useful but you aren't really sure about... before they start charging gold to respec.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you can change crew skills at any time with no cost or penalty? If that's the case then this is the time to experiment worth the skills that look sorta useful but you aren't really sure about... before they start charging gold to respec.

They wanted like 10g to retrain (clicked on skills before reading up on how to properly do skills. oops) IIRC.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
man i cannot for the life of me figure out the object 261, the low trajectory is throwing me off bigtime.
should i have the center of the reticle in the middle of the turret like before? i've read both ways , put it at the edge closest to you, and put it at the edge farthest from you.
this is frustratinggggggg

on another note i have 1 shotted tigers already but it's not consistant

The flatter the trajectory, the further BEHIND the tank you can aim. Arty with a steep trajectory can aim more on the center mass of the tank because the shell will drop straight down. You should never aim close.

Think of it this way: If you're going to throw a ball to someone for them to catch, the ball would actually land behind them if they weren't there. So you throw the ball on a trajectory that would land behind the person catching the ball. If you threw it to land exactly at their location, it would hit at their feet. That's a flat trajectory.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
They wanted like 10g to retrain (clicked on skills before reading up on how to properly do skills. oops) IIRC.

Ohhh if only it were that cheap. I totally misread the dialog before. The cost to retrain is

200 gold keep 100% of current skills
20k credits keep 90%
Free keep 80%

Same price setup as retraining the crew to a different tank.

Last edited:

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Well, I got the IS unlocked, crisis over. Now I'm going to go have fun on the test server until the patch comes. I actually want the IS, even with the change to the KV-3, but I need another million credits first. That might get helped by the free tankage that's coming, but I'll have to play a good few rounds with each and see how I like 'em first.

EDIT: Or not, since they took test down today and I just found out right now. Allegedly, there's a 0.7.3 #2 being deployed, but I don't know if they are going to reopen the testing or not.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
The flatter the trajectory, the further BEHIND the tank you can aim. Arty with a steep trajectory can aim more on the center mass of the tank because the shell will drop straight down. You should never aim close.

Think of it this way: If you're going to throw a ball to someone for them to catch, the ball would actually land behind them if they weren't there. So you throw the ball on a trajectory that would land behind the person catching the ball. If you threw it to land exactly at their location, it would hit at their feet. That's a flat trajectory.

sweet thanks, i've been aim'ng with the center behind the tanks
i'm actually getting hits now for the most part.

still not sure if i should be using HE or AP as i've seen both all over the wot forums.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Guess what's the special this weekend?

Crew training.
haha, thanks for remembering me :) That said, crew training was on sale during their anniversary thing as well, and it only dealt with training crews from one tank to another, not skill resets.

still not sure if i should be using HE or AP as i've seen both all over the wot forums.
All the high level arty players in my clan swear by AP. I hear loadouts like 5-6 HE, rest AP. And for CW matches, it's 5-6 gold ammo, rest AP.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I took advantage of each patch up until now but have a question regarding the upcoming one: I bought kv and kv3 and I was told I need to upgrade the turret as well. I did so on the kv but not on the kv3. Do I need to upgrade the turret on the kv3 as well? What's known about the new Russian heavy tier 9?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010

Its really up to you. Everyone loves AP since its a pretty guarenteed 4 digits of damage (who doesn't love seeing that!) when you hit. While you can do as little as 400-500 damage with HE. Then again penetrating with HE has a higher damage potential than an AP round. Also bouncing or getting a 0 dam hit with an AP round is very frustrating. I've found in most cases I can do more overall damage using HE, since I don't have to wait for that perfect shot. I still like using ap though for the big numbers.

For the most part AP is put to good use on E100s and mice (slow, big, easy to hit and can't pen with HE). Also any time you find yourself needing to go TD. That AP round will pen any tank frontally. Also keep in mind that this arty is fast, agile and only a few tanks can 1 hit it (E100, some TDs), so don't be afraid to get up close and personal on some maps. It always surprises that IS-7 when you roll up on him across the map and pop him for 1200 for the kill.

Another good time to use AP is if you have an arty partner to platoon with. Call targets and they shoot first which will usually result in a track, then you come in with the finishing blow. This is very effective at taking high tiers out of the game fast. This is also why AP is used in clan wars on the 261, since there is usually another arty (T92 or type E) using gold which WILL track anything remotely close, leaving you with much greater chances of hitting.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I refuse to use AP except in TD/final defense. The 0% crits are mindblowingly annoying. With HE and proper placement, you can pen many of the tanks with the HE anyway and one shot the 50B or 110.

I have also been told not to load AP in clan wars in my 261.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Well I got the T30 finally, I have to say it's quite a change from the T28 Proto. Faster and a much bigger gun but squishier in some ways. So it's been a learning experience. With the Proto I could go and bully tanks and use that good rate of fire to just melt them down while bouncing a lot.

The T30 gets some huge numbers on hits though, great gun with a little wonkiness to it but I'm still getting my crew to 100%. At like 94% now. So I'll with hold judgement on it until I'm maxed again in that regard.

I will say melting down tanks in 2 hits is amazingly fun or even hitting some big ones in one hit is fun too. A poor KV-3 popped out and got one shotted with a solid side hit to him while an M103 learned to fear the doomcannon as well.

I'm just playing poorly with it though because it kind of tricks you into playing it like a heavy tank where you get chewed up by the rest of the faster firing better armored tanks in the game. But I'm learning to stay back and do what it does best, put the fear of God into other tanks and keeping them back.