[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 231 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think the IS-3's sides are just as weak. Having played both, I feel like they're very different tanks. IS-3 is more of a brawler with its speed, while the KT is for sure a sniper. The IS-3's front armor makes PAB difficult too, while the KT doesn't have that much problem. Hulled down the KT is incredibly difficult to dig out, and there's plenty of spots where it can be almost like an american heavy.

But yeah, lower glacis is made out of paper. Good up to tier 6~ and maybe certain tier 7 guns. But the rule for any tank is to not let them get to your sides, right? (Is-4 exception)

Oh sure, they are definitely very different tanks. And normally I prefer to snipe, but you can't guarantee sniping play all the time. And the BL-9 is accurate enough for long ranges but the IS-3 (to me) outshines the KT at close range.

And yeah the IS-3's side armor is 90mm vs the KT's 80mm. But the KT's side armor size is HUGE. The whole tank is huge compared to the IS-3. IS-3's side armor is half invulnerable to tier 8/9 guns (the uber sloped part under the skirts), which really helps out against dumbass autoaiming pubbies. I dunno, I just feel like the IS-3's side armor configuration (not just thickness) gives me a lot more options w/corners (reverse PAB) & when brawling (i can angle to try and force tracking shots). Whereas that's not an option w/the KT b/c showing the side armor = getting pen'd.

Hull down KT is scary at long range, I'll give you that. At close range, the turret front is only 185mm & flat, meaning tier9 guns go straight through. And there's always the drivers hatch & MG port. I haven't had much luck playing like a Maus & angling the turret when I'm not about to fire. The turret is shaped like this: \_/ which means you can't angle too much before that 80mm turret side armor is vulnerable.

I might favor the KT more if there was more of an accuracy advantage. As it is, it seems like the BL-9 is either dead-on, or misses wildly. The KT's gun is rarely dead-on but also rarely misses wildly. Unfortunately, at very long ranges, being off by a little bit might as well a wild miss.

I dunno, I can see the KT being quantitatively the better tank in the sense that w/2 skilled drivers, the KT would win. But I guess I'm more thinking I like the IS-3 better in pubs b/c skilled drivers are few & far in between!

Also, T32 > IS-3? Don't make me laugh. That wimpy 200mm of pen can/will bounce but the BL-9 will go through every time. That said, I didn't know the T32's gun depression is good enough to face hug & pen the IS-3's front hull. In hundreds of T32 & IS-3 games, I've never run into this situation. The current T34's depression isn't :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I havent played the IS3 since patch. But I did put about 230ish games in both the KT and IS3. I felt the IS3 was a better tank. More bouncy and the BL-9 was more reliable to penetrate. The IS3 is also more peppy. I think both are fine tanks. But no way is the T32 better than the IS3. When I played the IS3 or KT a smile came across my face when I ran across the American tanks(T30,T34,T32,T29,M6,T1). It was cannon fodder for me. I still think the T30,T34,and T32 are cannon fodder. The M103 and T110 are finally giving the American tanks something to write home about.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That actually isnt too bad. The IS3s are a problem but you guys look pretty good after that. I'd take a 13 75 over a KV anyday of the week.

I have had much more lopsided games than that. One where the opposing side will have 6 tier9s to our 3. Like wtf?

The games where you have E-50s and T-54s facing off vs 3 IS-4 and 2 E-75s are the best. -_- But hey! You get another tier 8 heavy!! Whoopdefuckingdoo.

Oh sure, they are definitely very different tanks. And normally I prefer to snipe, but you can't guarantee sniping play all the time. And the BL-9 is accurate enough for long ranges but the IS-3 (to me) outshines the KT at close range.

Oh don't get me wrong, I brawl a fair amount in the KT (undesired but I do it), but KTs are usually delegated to facehugging duty. Angle a bit and try to slam your upper glacis into the guy so he can't aim at your weak weak copula and lower glacis... hard to do because the tank's so BIG.

As for the side armor... yeah, you should be wiggling but not showing your sides. (Ammorack coughcough) But the IS-3 also has side ammo racks that get damaged on a fairly regular basis. I've personally never bounced many side shots from my IS-3, but this was pre-normalization so it might be different now. But both tanks are very different and very enjoyable in their own rights.

Also, T32 > IS-3? Don't make me laugh. That wimpy 200mm of pen can/will bounce but the BL-9 will go through every time. That said, I didn't know the T32's gun depression is good enough to face hug & pen the IS-3's front hull. In hundreds of T32 & IS-3 games, I've never run into this situation. The current T34's depression isn't :D

T-32 is so dependent on driver skill, and there's so many bad drivers out there. But I'm sure Elcs will disagree with you with T-32 being worse than IS-3. ;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you're planning to buy gold, you probably want to wait until April 27 weekend.

There's a promotion that you get 10% more gold for any purchase, and for the $14.99 and $49.99 amounts (who knows why) they give 30% to a charity.

There's a front page link with info.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
god again everyone is going ONE WAY and leaving 1-2 choke points open

i'm getting rolled, can't buy a win right now

so far 0/9 , my win % is taking a nose dive right now

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
god again everyone is going ONE WAY and leaving 1-2 choke points open

i'm getting rolled, can't buy a win right now

so far 0/9 , my win % is taking a nose dive right now

If I lose 3 times in a row I quit for the day. Unless its 5x or 3x exp day. >_>

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
How is this supposed to be balanced?
It ended in a draw for some reason, but still...
shot_008.jpg

skill > tank.

Two fights in particular that I still remember. One is where our team's top 3 tanks were the french AMX50B followed by 3-4 TDs. The other team had 2 IS7, 1 E100, 2 M103. Our team was bitching from the start about how we were going to lose badly due to the paper armored french tanks and so many TDs against they heavy tanks. We started on the north side of Ruinberg and I saw the three AMXs go flank east. I followed as much as I could(damn those are fast tanks!) and a big smile came across my face as I noticed the opposing team had nobody over there.. they were all in the city. The french tanks broke through and killed all their arty then circled around and came up behind the heavies while our TDS were hammering away at them. We massacred them. I think the enemy had two kills when it was over.

The other was a lower tier fight in my hetzer. We were stacked with 6 KVs!! I knew were were going to lose once the KV drivers bragged "this is going to be a massacre". Oh it was alright, they got their butts handed to them by a bunch of mediums who circled around combined with arty slamming them. I was actually glad we lost that one, hopefully people learned a lesson or two.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The only problem I have is with the 13 90. I really wish they lowered hit points on the speedy tanks. The lack of armor does not mean ANYTHING if they have 1k hitpoints.

Yup. All that HP is crazy. I've hit them with my JagdTiger and they can just shrug it off and keep on trucking. Crazy fast tanks and really deadly. I'm not sure why they gave them so much HP, but I suppose it supports people staying in groups to counter them to help chew through it since anyone can take a chunk from them.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
If you're planning to buy gold, you probably want to wait until April 27 weekend.

There's a promotion that you get 10% more gold for any purchase, and for the $14.99 and $49.99 amounts (who knows why) they give 30% to a charity.

There's a front page link with info.

:mad:

Guess who bought gold this morning, before the announcement was posted?

Guess who will probably buy more anyway? ():)

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Has the KV-5 been buffed? It seems to get a load of credits compared to the damage it does, got me 23k just entering a komarin game and dying (without firing a single round) to a stealthy T30 after 2-3 mins.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
I swear there is some kind of win/loss detector in this game that depending on how things are going either throws you in with the retard bracket or takes you out.

Every time I have a good winning streak I suddenly find myself on teams full of idiots for many consecutive games. And after a bad losing streak suddenly the retards are on the other teams. I didn't have one single close win/loss today. They were all blow outs. I started out winning 8 in a row then losing 12.

Almost every single loss it was because only 1 guy + me took one flank and the whole other fricken team went the other way. And yep about 2 minutes in into the game here comes 5 tanks vs the 2 of us. We die they kill the arty and the rest is history. Then when I'm winning I see the same mistake by the other team.

I just don't get what is wrong with people in this game.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I found the one of the best ways to get a team to work together and think more than usual is to ALMOST take command (or take command if you'd like to) right at the start. Simple things like "me and the other KV take the valley, we need 2 snipers with us" will get people to work with you and let others know they can cover a different route. I've seen it many times.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Ran all my tanks through the 2x tonight. Did pretty good. Most were wins on first fight. Only a couple had to do two battles before getting the daily double. Light play this week mainly. Too much other things going on. Personally, I find the best play times for myself is between Noon and 6pm EST. Teams seem to be better. Less idiots about for some reason. Late night used to be great but too many whiners and idiots ruining it now.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
What skills are people putting on their T34s & T110s? I'm currently grinding to the T110 (at the M103 presently); but I use the same crew to run the T34 too. At the moment I have...
cmdr: mentor 100%, repair 100%, ? 50%
gunner: snap shot 100%, repair 100%, ? 50%
driver: clutch brake 100%, repair 100%, ? 50%
radio: situational awareness 100%, repair 100% ? 50%
loader1: safe stowage 100%, repair 100%, ? 50%
loader2: adrenaline rush 100%, repair 100%, ? 50%
where ? = unpicked skill

I want to pick crew skills for the T110's eventual 4 guys (cmdr, gunner, driver, loader), and get things that will be useful on the M103/T34 for the other two. What do you guys suggest?

Is firefighting of much value on US heavies? (I know it is on soviet ones...)
Is the camo coeff high enough to justify camo?
If not either of those, which new skills are good? For me, candidates include recon, jack of all trades (since t110 has only 4 dudes), smooth ride, deadeye, and I have no fuckin idea for loader/radio (since I don't think i care about intuition nor any of the radio ones).

BIA is tempting but I keep hearing they're going to nerf it so that all crew members have to be alive for it to be effective. So I'm gonna wait on that one.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Went on a shopping spree. Got t110, kv and kv3 for the patch. Had to choose between is7 and t110 because of credits. Haven't driven is7 since beta but liking the t110 more. M103 growing on me as well.

For a heavy tank, I would go repair, bia and individual skills, 6th sense, accuracy on the move, clutch braking and safe stowage.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
T110 skills:

1st Brothers in Arms
2nd Mentor/Snap Shot/Clutch Braking/Safe Stowage
3rd Repair

That could vary for people, but I have nearly 3 skills so it made sense since repair doesn't need 100.

If you're willing to spend a bit of gold you can use mentor on commanderand BiA on the others, and then retrain him to use BiA and re-add mentor as 2nd skill.

T34 has two more crew - BiA/repair/situational awareness and BiA/Adrenilie Rush/repair.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
BIA is tempting but I keep hearing they're going to nerf it so that all crew members have to be alive for it to be effective. So I'm gonna wait on that one.

Where did you hear that?

I read they had that in pre-release, it was a bug, they fixed it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
The games where you have E-50s and T-54s facing off vs 3 IS-4 and 2 E-75s are the best. -_- But hey! You get another tier 8 heavy!! Whoopdefuckingdoo.

Neither the 54 nor e50 should be bouncing on the e75 and IS4. Tier 8 heavies can deal with the E75, the tier 9 mediums can take care of just about everything else on that MM. You stall the tier 9 heavies, you win. This works exceedingly well on Lakeville, or steppes, or komarin. You have no idea how many times I have seen top tier tanks just stall because of a firefight with pathetic forces. It is why if I am in a top tier tank I always go up and over in Lakeville. The chances that the enemy force won't know how to deal with an aggressive top tier tank is VERY high.

If you are top tier and not French, you NEED to be a bully.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Where did you hear that?

I read they had that in pre-release, it was a bug, they fixed it.

I've seen folks say that in game. But I looked into it more just now & it looks like I was misinformed. Damnit.

Kind of a huge PITA b/c my high level crews already have their 1st/2nd skills chosen. So I'll either have to throw away a ton of XP or drop a ton of gold to retrain, gah!!!

I guess the most reasonable thing to do would be to choose other skills for now and hopefully there will be a 50% off sale on re-spec'ing crew skills.

You guys have any thoughts on whether firefighting or camo is more valuable for US heavies?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've seen folks say that in game. But I looked into it more just now & it looks like I was misinformed. Damnit.

Kind of a huge PITA b/c my high level crews already have their 1st/2nd skills chosen. So I'll either have to throw away a ton of XP or drop a ton of gold to retrain, gah!!!

I guess the most reasonable thing to do would be to choose other skills for now and hopefully there will be a 50% off sale on re-spec'ing crew skills.

You guys have any thoughts on whether firefighting or camo is more valuable for US heavies?

Some people like firefighting - my opinion, neither are worth it until at least skill 4 or 5.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I would take camo before firefighting for a heavy. And only as a 4th+ skill. Firefighting seems to be useless unless your entire crew has it 100%, and its much easier to just carry a fire extinguisher. The commander, gunner and driver also have other skills I would take first.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I would take camo before firefighting for a heavy. And only as a 4th+ skill. Firefighting seems to be useless unless your entire crew has it 100%, and its much easier to just carry a fire extinguisher. The commander, gunner and driver also have other skills I would take first.

What else would you take on the commander (besides mentor)? Recon? Jack of all trades? I'm not really sold on sixth sense. For the gunner, I like snap shot/deadeye, and for the driver, I like smooth ride/clutch braking... maybe off roading too. Tanks w/2 loaders is a bit less obvious; I'd want adrenaline & safe stowage... after that, I dunno, camo?? And same deal for the radio guy: situation awareness is an obvious choice but I have no idea after that.

But yeah that's the other thing that makes me hesitant about BIA... several crew members have multiple skills/perks I like outside of repair. Getting BIA locks me out of those for the forseeable future since I'm nowhere close to even having 3rd skills maxed on my crews.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
For my commanders with 3 skills I have BiA, mentor, recon. Would probably start repair if I ever make it to a 4th.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Neither the 54 nor e50 should be bouncing on the e75 and IS4. Tier 8 heavies can deal with the E75, the tier 9 mediums can take care of just about everything else on that MM. You stall the tier 9 heavies, you win. This works exceedingly well on Lakeville, or steppes, or komarin. You have no idea how many times I have seen top tier tanks just stall because of a firefight with pathetic forces. It is why if I am in a top tier tank I always go up and over in Lakeville. The chances that the enemy force won't know how to deal with an aggressive top tier tank is VERY high.

If you are top tier and not French, you NEED to be a bully.

"should" is the word. In a pub, the team with more heavies usually win because it doesn't take much skill to drive them. Mediums are hard to play and need support, and the average pubber can't do that. So if you see a team filled with mediums vs equivalent tier heavies? Probably bad sign. Not to mention heavies have a bigger leeway for making mistakes.

Granted if you're wolfpacking things get a bit better, but that only works on certain maps.

For skills I got recon, view range (radio man), dead eye, off roading and clutching breaking. Filled up the rest with repairs. Don't remember what else I got, also didn't take BIA because I figured repairs were more important.