[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 234 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Tried playing last night but the lag was just too much. I gave up after a while. Don't know if it was the server or my ISP(FIOS). Checked the PC and router top to bottom and it was fine.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
cmon yet again, i kill 6 in my lorraine, almost had the 7th
yet my team got completely rolled

this game constantly puts me on the team of retards

batting 0/6 so far for daily doubles >_<

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Tried playing last night but the lag was just too much. I gave up after a while. Don't know if it was the server or my ISP(FIOS). Checked the PC and router top to bottom and it was fine.

Had problems myself last night. Was on a hill and my t-29 just kept rolling... and rolling... and rolling, even though I was trying to get it to stop moving. Of course, it rolls to a stop when I am in range of 2 jagdtigers and their arty.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I loaded up the test server over the weekend to try out the IS-4. I have to say I like the amount of bouncing that occured when I played. It is still slow, but out of the 5 games I played on it, I didn't get a single dead driver. The gun also reloads in a little under 10 sec with vents, rammer, BiA. So slightly faster reload for 50 less average damage, not so bad.

With my experiences on my IS-4, the KV-4 seems like a beast. I bounced 2 gold rounds (400 pen) off of the thing. First one off the turret, second off the upper glacias. I was thinking 400 pen why do I need to aim? I did kill him, but I can see that tank being the new king of tier 8s. The KV-2 is just as bad, a derp KV with 860hp now and a 20sec reload. Now I have to worry about getting derped in my IS4/7.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Did they decrease the reload time on the 152 now that the KV-2 is T6?

With vents and a rammer it was ~20.26 seconds for the KV-2. I'm at work, so thats going off memory so the .26 might be a little off, but was definately only 20 sec. I didn't run the KV much with the derp, so I don't know what the reload is on the current tier 5 version.

Whats going to be funny is when a tier 6 KV-2 derps a tier 10 AMX50B, or tier 9 batchat for 1k damage.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Speaking of Derp. I was on earlinberg in my derpy kv in a tier 8 match. I did not load any of my gold ammo but I one shot an e8 in the ass. I double tracked an e2 on the southern bridge which then arty raped. I smacked a T34 american for 1100 damage (must have been system damage or whatnot) by hitting his engine bay in the rear. I hit a Lorraine at 400m after arty tracked him. And then we started capping with low tier stuff while a full IS3 was trying to get back to base to reset cap. I parked sideways on the center bridge, hit him once and said in public chat that the road was closed!

I did all of this after being hit to below 100HP at the start of the game.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
My poor KV-5. Bought as a secondary credit earner if my Type 59 dies early. The thing is basically goes on suicide kill missions for quick credits. Win rate, 26% lmao.

So close to the E-75 I can taste it! Just another half million credits.

I love it when our platoon gets blamed for a loss. Our platoon of 3x Type 59s went to the island instead of the hill on Mines. We get across the island killing an M18 and M6, then do a beautiful circle of death on a KV-5. I really wish there was a recording of this. 3 Types doing 3 circles interweaving on the poor guy for about 45 seconds. Perfectly choreographed. Anyways then we move onto their cap. While this happens nobody defended the East and this AMX 10050B starts crying about how it is our fault. Never mind between the three of us we killed 8 of their tanks and were on their cap while the rest of the team melted and allowed the rest of their team onto our cap. Idiots.

3 games later an IS3 that played on our side in the above match saw us and talked shit. He was on the other side. We smoked them bad. I got knocked down to 1 HP and then went on a a kill streak killing 3 more people lol. The IS3 died a miserable death at our cap to two of my platoon mates volley of fire.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
After 15,000 games and completing 99% of the German and American lines, I finally decided to play a Russian tank. Got to the derp KV over the weekend and DAMN this thing is made of troll. The first time I did 200 points of damage to the turret of a hull down T34 I just laughed. I even killed off an IS4. I don't think there's another T5 that can even *damage* an IS4 under any circumstances.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
After 15,000 games and completing 99% of the German and American lines, I finally decided to play a Russian tank. Got to the derp KV over the weekend and DAMN this thing is made of troll. The first time I did 200 points of damage to the turret of a hull down T34 I just laughed. I even killed off an IS4. I don't think there's another T5 that can even *damage* an IS4 under any circumstances.

I can damage an IS-4 in my PzIV FYI.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I can damage an IS-4 in my PzIV FYI.

Maybe with the 105 mini derp (I think the PZIV has that). Even then you'll do maybe 100 damage. Most people don't run with that gun, and the other gun just doesn't have the penetration to hurt the IS-4 anywhere except maybe the rear. Even directly in the ass, you probably still have a good chance to bounce.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
After some more test server fun, I have the KV-4 almost elite (waiting on the last gun) and almost have the IS-3 unlocked so I can grind up to the IS-7. I do not like the KV-4 nearly as much as my KV-3 or the KV-5 (bought one on test to screw around with). It is built like a brick craphouse and is pretty bouncy, but it is so painfully slow even with the upgraded engine. I'll take any of the IS line over it any day of the week for the maneuverability.

I'm absolutely loving the IS, and even with the KV-3 moved up to tier 7, I think I'm going to get one on live and run with both of them. It moves so much better than the KV-3 and still has firepower. You have to be a bit more careful about what to expose though, since you're downright guaranteed to get set on fire if you get hit in the back. The KV-3 gets set on fire plenty, though, too, even without external tanks.

Basically, it still comes down to finding a good position on each map where you can still project force but stay protected... hard to find, but if you get there first, you can do a lot of damage without taking any.

I'm not thrilled with either of the two new maps in the least. The coast one is at least manageable; Dragon Ridge is a nightmare for heavies and an overall deathtrap if you don't know where you need to be ahead of time.

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012

That joy you experienced in hitting the hull down T34 is why the derpy KV is my favorite tank despite all of it's many short-comings -- it's slow in every way possible (especially the reload), has a boxy dumpy look, has inadequate armor relative to tanks it faces, etc. However, it has that wonderful giant gun that makes up for all of this and makes it useful and very effective in any tier it plays.

You can't say that for many tanks. I hate that, "I'm over matched" feeling I get in most tanks when tossed into higher tiered battles. I don't have that with the KV derp. For me, it's actually better the higher tiered the battle is since the earning potential is better.

It's funny how the gun makes the tier 5 KV a more effective in dealing damage than many higher tiered big gunned tanks. I was in a match over the weekend where two T29 tier 7 teammates had a T34 cornered and hammering on it from two sides point blank. They were doing the high tiered pew pew pew on it and taking small chunks of damage off of it. It took my KV dropping about 3 derp hits to do most of the damage and to finally take it down. In that same battle, my KV dropped two derp hits on a JagPanzer, a couple on an M6, and knocked out an arty and an SU tank destroyer with single shots.

Wait until you catch higher tiered tanks on their more vulnerable sides/rear. I once caught a Lowe point blank from the rear and one shot him. The initial blast took it down to about 10 percent. It then caught fire and blew up. That's been my best single derp blast so far. When you get shots like that, it's sure to bring you a very good laugh. :)

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
funny thing is, whenever I switch to the derp on the KV I end up top tier, whenever I switch to the 107 I end up on the bottom. So I have rarely experienced this joy recently.

During the weekend: used derp one whole day. All matches are where I was on top, and the 107 would've been so so much better for the little tanks.

Then I said "fuck it" and switched to the 107. Immediately I see 3 IS-4s on the other team, the next game E-75s and 4 IS-3s. Next game a bunch of T-59s and a M103.

FML.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
same as me, i keep getting put into tier 9 battles, so i equip the derp, then it puts me at the top, switch back to 107, and i'm back to tier 9

it's like the MM knows

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
funny thing is, whenever I switch to the derp on the KV I end up top tier, whenever I switch to the 107 I end up on the bottom. So I have rarely experienced this joy recently.

During the weekend: used derp one whole day. All matches are where I was on top, and the 107 would've been so so much better for the little tanks.

Then I said "fuck it" and switched to the 107. Immediately I see 3 IS-4s on the other team, the next game E-75s and 4 IS-3s. Next game a bunch of T-59s and a M103.

FML.

After the 7.2 patch went in I saw something very similar to that as I saw the KV getting to be the top tank in the majority of its matches. I only use the derp on my KV so I can't say much about differences in behavior when mounting the 107.

After seeing this pattern for a day or two, I thought I'd be locked out of the joy of playing the derpy KV in the higher tiered matches due to some rebalancing. However, after a few days, those high tiered matches came back. In a some days, I mainly see high tiered matches. It seems to come in batches at times one way or another.

It may just be the mood of matchmaker for the day. It might be like how matchmaker cycles through the same batch of maps each day. You know the feeling ... "not this map again!". Somehow matchmaker figured out that it's the map you really don't like playing ... LOL!

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I still get a good balance in my KV. middle/top, sometimes bottom...

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Unlocked the T110 tonight, now I just have to grind about 5 million credits to actually buy it... and on top of that, I'm only about 20k xp away from the E-50. Need moar credits. :(

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maybe with the 105 mini derp (I think the PZIV has that). Even then you'll do maybe 100 damage. Most people don't run with that gun, and the other gun just doesn't have the penetration to hurt the IS-4 anywhere except maybe the rear. Even directly in the ass, you probably still have a good chance to bounce.

Nope...the long 75 mm...for ~100 damage each time.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Unlocked the T110 tonight, now I just have to grind about 5 million credits to actually buy it... and on top of that, I'm only about 20k xp away from the E-50. Need moar credits. :(

I still have another 11k till I even unlock the gun on the M103. After that I'll have the epic grind to the T110. At least by the time I get to that point I should be able to afford it.

I still probably need to put a priority on playing my T34 to grind out some credits. I've had the panther 2 and E100 unlocked for ages now and haven't bought them. I'm still having too much fun playing (and grinding skills on) my object 261 and IS-7 to dedicate time for other tanks it seems.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Panther II is an amazing tank compared to the Panther. I was weary on continuining down that line due to how bad the panther is, but decided to spend some free exp to get the Panther II and upgrade it. Very fun tank to drive.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I may be burned out a bit, other than my AMX 13-90 I don't have much fun with other tanks right now. If only low level arty was buffed I could perhaps suffer the ~40k grind to a higher level one.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I still have another 11k till I even unlock the gun on the M103. After that I'll have the epic grind to the T110. At least by the time I get to that point I should be able to afford it.

I still probably need to put a priority on playing my T34 to grind out some credits. I've had the panther 2 and E100 unlocked for ages now and haven't bought them. I'm still having too much fun playing (and grinding skills on) my object 261 and IS-7 to dedicate time for other tanks it seems.

Panther II <3
I think I like it more than my Pershing, which I also enjoy. I dunno, I've said this before but any tank with the 88mm L/71 is a good tank :D Panther II = awesome gun + mobility + ability to mount vertical stabilizer = rape rape rape.

And the M103 really opens up after you get the best gun. I was pretty indifferent to the tank before I got the M58, but with that gun, the M103 is a joy to drive. I think I was at a ~50% win rate without the M58 and it's been climbing ever since I got the gun (now >60% i think). Took me a good while to get used to this tank but I'm glad I did!

Now, can someone help me with the E-75? From all accounts, it's supposed to be awesome. Best tier 9 bar none. I bought it, and free xp'd the tracks, turret, and gun (no engine yet). I've had ~20 games in it... and so far I am not impressed! It is EASILY my least favorite tier9 heavy right now (with IS-4 > M103 > E-75).

The gun feels like a disaster. In particular I can't pen IS-7s to save my life. I take the same kinds of shots as I do with my S70 (which pens regularly) and I just have no freaking luck! (Same shots = getting a good angle on the headlights or shooting lower glacis if I'm head-on.) It's like a 16mm pen difference but that seems to be a big deal?? Gah! The E-75's 128 even bounces off the lower glacis of M103s!! This is the same gun from the stock E-100, Maus, and Ferdi... clearly I'm doing it wrong?

And it seems like freaking everything penetrates me. The lower glacis is strong but holy hell still vulnerable. The other day, a freaking Tiger P was going through it w/o batting an eyelash (granted that was probably gold ammo but still, grrr). I haven't found the ideal angling yet... I swear it's either guns go through my glacis nonstop or they can shoot through my side armor :(

There have even been times when I manage to go "lower glacis down" but then they (=IS-7, T110) just rape my commander's hatch... while my gun bounces endlessly!

I want to love this tank, I really do. But right now I just feel like I wasted 110k free xp. Halp.