[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 235 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
It's official. I went from hating my E100 to loving it. Trolling the 9's and 8's are HYSTERICAL to do. While I can smack tier 10's, I have to aim and with the 150, aiming is a bit of a crapshoot. Better to just use the e100 as a mobile arty.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
for the is-7, i pretty much don't bother attacking head on, i will eat the 500 damage, while i angle for a side/rear shot.
that's the only way i've been able to hurt is-7's.

he can hit you 2-3x which evens out damage wise to ~1500 ish after you hit him twice.

your team will do much better if you can get the is-7 out, as the e100 is the worst tier X anyways right now

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
It's official. I went from hating my E100 to loving it. Trolling the 9's and 8's are HYSTERICAL to do. While I can smack tier 10's, I have to aim and with the 150, aiming is a bit of a crapshoot. Better to just use the e100 as a mobile arty.

yea it's easy to troll 9s and below, i have a hard time taking on tier X's that aren't the maus LOL

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Panther II <3
I think I like it more than my Pershing, which I also enjoy. I dunno, I've said this before but any tank with the 88mm L/71 is a good tank :D Panther II = awesome gun + mobility + ability to mount vertical stabilizer = rape rape rape.

And the M103 really opens up after you get the best gun. I was pretty indifferent to the tank before I got the M58, but with that gun, the M103 is a joy to drive. I think I was at a ~50% win rate without the M58 and it's been climbing ever since I got the gun (now >60% i think). Took me a good while to get used to this tank but I'm glad I did!

Now, can someone help me with the E-75? From all accounts, it's supposed to be awesome. Best tier 9 bar none. I bought it, and free xp'd the tracks, turret, and gun (no engine yet). I've had ~20 games in it... and so far I am not impressed! It is EASILY my least favorite tier9 heavy right now (with IS-4 > M103 > E-75).

The gun feels like a disaster. In particular I can't pen IS-7s to save my life. I take the same kinds of shots as I do with my S70 (which pens regularly) and I just have no freaking luck! (Same shots = getting a good angle on the headlights or shooting lower glacis if I'm head-on.) It's like a 16mm pen difference but that seems to be a big deal?? Gah! The E-75's 128 even bounces off the lower glacis of M103s!! This is the same gun from the stock E-100, Maus, and Ferdi... clearly I'm doing it wrong?

And it seems like freaking everything penetrates me. The lower glacis is strong but holy hell still vulnerable. The other day, a freaking Tiger P was going through it w/o batting an eyelash (granted that was probably gold ammo but still, grrr). I haven't found the ideal angling yet... I swear it's either guns go through my glacis nonstop or they can shoot through my side armor :(

There have even been times when I manage to go "lower glacis down" but then they (=IS-7, T110) just rape my commander's hatch... while my gun bounces endlessly!

I want to love this tank, I really do. But right now I just feel like I wasted 110k free xp. Halp.

I would say the E-75 used to be a great tier 9 when the only competition was the IS-4 and T34. The M103 is giving it a run for its money now though. First thing is you will need that last engine, makes a huge difference. After that, clutch braking gives this tank a phenominal turn rate.

When it comes to fighting, angle at about 25-30 degrees, any more and you risk your side being penned. Do your best to hide your lower glacias if you can, but this is only truly neccessary on tier 9/10s, tier 8 should bounce off an angled lower glacias. Try to keep engagements >100m when hulled down. At that distance your cupola is hard to hit, in addition never sit still. If you are reloading, be on the move, even just wiggle back and forth, it makes hitting your cupola alot harder.

When it comes to fighting IS-7s the best thing to do is avoid a frontal confrontation at short ranges with your lower glacias exposed. If you have to, shoot his center lower glacias, its not 100% guarenteed though. on the M103s shoot the center lower glacias if they are directly facing you, if they are angled, shoot the part facing you. If they are more than 30 degrees, shoot thier sides, they are very weak.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The 128 has strange issues with accuracy and dispersion. Keep your engagements to within 300-400m, anything beyond that is a crapshoot. It's nowhere as accurate as the IS-4's S-70, and I typically refrain from sniping from 500+ meters unless I have an absolutely clear shot.

That being said when it hits I generally don't have problems penetrating. Keep in mind of the weird dispersions. Angle your tank about 20-30 degrees like others said, and if you're around a corner, you can angle a bit more if you're not exposing your sides. I usually angle my hull around 45 degrees if i can sneak behind the walls and not expose my sides.

If some small tank (t-59) is shooting your rear armor plate... I tend to ignore them because the rear armor is very angled and bouncy. If they're shooting my sides (ammo!) I prioritize them as a threat since they know how to fight the E-75. :p

Hull down as often as possible, and wiggle your turret inbetween shots to protect the copula. Don't angle it too much or shells will go through the side. Other than that follow normal heavy rules: don't get caught alone and don't overextend. You're a line breaker but only if you have support.

IS-7s? Don't shoot the front, waste of time. Shoot sides or flat side or get out of the way. Shoot lower glacis if you can from a distance, <100m it's too angled to pen. That or shoot the front plate when its flat to you: if the IS-7 is not facing you head on you can pen the side plates easily.

T-110: shoot the top part of the tumor or lower glacis. Anywhere else is a waste of time. Upper glacis is nearly impossible to pen. Shoot sides if possible, even a 30 degree angle and your shot will go through.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I would say the E-75 used to be a great tier 9 when the only competition was the IS-4 and T34. The M103 is giving it a run for its money now though. First thing is you will need that last engine, makes a huge difference. After that, clutch braking gives this tank a phenominal turn rate.

When it comes to fighting, angle at about 25-30 degrees, any more and you risk your side being penned. Do your best to hide your lower glacias if you can, but this is only truly neccessary on tier 9/10s, tier 8 should bounce off an angled lower glacias. Try to keep engagements >100m when hulled down. At that distance your cupola is hard to hit, in addition never sit still. If you are reloading, be on the move, even just wiggle back and forth, it makes hitting your cupola alot harder.

When it comes to fighting IS-7s the best thing to do is avoid a frontal confrontation at short ranges with your lower glacias exposed. If you have to, shoot his center lower glacias, its not 100% guarenteed though. on the M103s shoot the center lower glacias if they are directly facing you, if they are angled, shoot the part facing you. If they are more than 30 degrees, shoot thier sides, they are very weak.

All of this is sound advice. I have vents, rammer and VS on my M103, crew is bia training now. I drive it with the 100 octane too. It reaches the top speed fast and uphill it decelerates slower than any other non french heavy in it's tier range.

Due to a 2 sec shorter reload on the m103, i look forward to 1 on 1's with is4 or any other heavy.

T110 is an awesome tank. With rammer, bia and vents the gun reloads in just under 9 secs and it moves around like a panther 2 up to it's 37 km/h top speed. I also run it with 100 octane and have clutch braking almost maxed out.

My free T-34 is a blessing, without it I couldn't buy any of this.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Just had my best series of battles in a long, long time.

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf Tuesday, May 01, 2012 15:04:47
Vehicle: Löwe
Experience received: 2,628 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 69,862

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Tuesday, May 01, 2012 15:13:51
Experience received: 1,395
Credits received: 81,865

Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region Tuesday, May 01, 2012 15:21:51
Experience received: 1,459
Credits received: 77,985

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka Tuesday, May 01, 2012 15:33:37
Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 3,048 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 96,067
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: II Class

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
In the garage, fire rate is 5.50 rpm on the m103 top gun but it turns out that rammer, vents and bia skill bring it up to >6rpm as it loads with 14:50 on the timer. This tank will be a beast once I have 3 skills done.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I'm still 5k or so away from the good gun on the M103. Even without that gun, I still have alot of fun on that tank. It seems people just don't know where to shoot it, the thing seems to bounce like crazy. I guess it does help that I play it just like an IS-7 and directly face incoming fire, and it does seem to have a smaller profiled lower glacias than alot of other tanks. I can't wait to mount the good gun, slightly faster reload, aiming speed, and better accuracy.

The funny thing about the M103 is that I rarely fear fighting them. Most people can't seem to keep thier front directly facing you, or they over expose thier sides. Oh well, maybe I need to install XVM so I can see how bad people really are.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I love my M103, but I easily take out out other M103's and T110's by hitting their cupolas (those that don't realize their own weak spots). Their so pronounced on the T110's.

The cupola on the M103 is not an easy shot at all. Easier to hit the lower glacias, or to just flank unless you have the upper ground, then its somewhat of an easier shot. The T110, the tumor is almost hard to miss. Its easier to hit that than the lower glacias. Its one reason I'm not even sure I want the T110, I still find the IS-7 to be superior.

I can't wait for 7.3 to hit. I'm looking forward to putting the hurt on people with the IS-4. If the drivers hatch did get buffed, then people are going to have no clue what do against it. I will miss the IS-7s speed though.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Got the E75 last night. Decided to get the gun before the engine. I am rusty playing german heavies. It has been a couple months since I played the KT. Played 3 games, got a couple kills, died 3 times and went 1-2. I definately understand what people are saying about ghost shots with the 128. It is mysterious how shots will go wildly off target as if the reticle isnt fully shrunk.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Got the E75 last night. Decided to get the gun before the engine. I am rusty playing german heavies. It has been a couple months since I played the KT. Played 3 games, got a couple kills, died 3 times and went 1-2. I definately understand what people are saying about ghost shots with the 128. It is mysterious how shots will go wildly off target as if the reticle isnt fully shrunk.

I've had this happen a few times, and its frustrating. Amazingly it almost seems more accurate on the move. I've had more dead on shots while going 30kph than my other tanks.

The E75 unfortunately doesn't feel right until you have the last engine. Until then, its just a lumbering beast awaiting to get artied to death. Best thing about the E75 is there is no frontal engine weakness (no gear box weakspot), and the engine is in the rear center, which makes fires very very rare.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
The cupola on the M103 is not an easy shot at all. Easier to hit the lower glacias, or to just flank unless you have the upper ground, then its somewhat of an easier shot. The T110, the tumor is almost hard to miss. Its easier to hit that than the lower glacias. Its one reason I'm not even sure I want the T110, I still find the IS-7 to be superior.

I can't wait for 7.3 to hit. I'm looking forward to putting the hurt on people with the IS-4. If the drivers hatch did get buffed, then people are going to have no clue what do against it. I will miss the IS-7s speed though.

The M103 is hard to hit, but is doable at close range, and much easier to hit with their side facing you, if they're not swinging their turret like they should be, I'll go for it over the hull shot when both are exposed. It's the only thing you can aim for when they're hull-down as well.

I've two-shotted M103's and T110's simply by going for the cupola.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've had this happen a few times, and its frustrating. Amazingly it almost seems more accurate on the move. I've had more dead on shots while going 30kph than my other tanks.

The E75 unfortunately doesn't feel right until you have the last engine. Until then, its just a lumbering beast awaiting to get artied to death. Best thing about the E75 is there is no frontal engine weakness (no gear box weakspot), and the engine is in the rear center, which makes fires very very rare.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I got set on fire in the E-75. I'm considering putting something other than the fire extinguisher on it...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I got set on fire in the E-75. I'm considering putting something other than the fire extinguisher on it...

Out of my ~500 games I have on the E75, I think I've been lit on fire once. The only time I've lit one on fire is with my arty, and thats still extremely rare. Although I bet as soon as I remove the fire extinguisher, I"ll get lit up on the first shot.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh you can count on it :D

Arty magnet is the norm for me. Not sure what it is but I can drive anything and be the first target of arty. Type 59 with a Maus 100 feet to the right of me. I get hit. IS4 behind a hill somehow they find me. KV with derp they shoot me instead of the E75 and E100 huddled together at a choke point. This tank is not different. First game out I am working over two IS4s and what got me? Well an AMX 13-90 after arty knocked me down to about 200 HP. Blah.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Congrats Elcs indeed! I've read a lot of your stuff and it has really helped me get better. I've got a long way to go, but it really helped explain why things happen in the way that they do in regards to certain mechanics.

I just read a post on the WoT test forum that translated a post from Storm on the Russian forum.

Test 2 ends today, there will be no test 3. Russian servers are getting 7.3 tomorrow. People expect NA/EU to get it Friday as with 7.2.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Congrats Elcs indeed! I've read a lot of your stuff and it has really helped me get better. I've got a long way to go, but it really helped explain why things happen in the way that they do in regards to certain mechanics.

I just read a post on the WoT test forum that translated a post from Storm on the Russian forum.

Test 2 ends today, there will be no test 3. Russian servers are getting 7.3 tomorrow. People expect NA/EU to get it Friday as with 7.2.

Sweet. This works great for me, since I'll be putting together my new gaming rig tomorrow.

I need another 3-5x xp weekend. Not really to grind out tanks (except the T110), just to help get those crews trained up.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

That was a short test. I wonder how well balanced things are? From what I hear the Russian Heavies getting some nice updates. Guess I'll find out Friday.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

damn, still 600k short for the KV-3

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
That was a short test. I wonder how well balanced things are? From what I hear the Russian Heavies getting some nice updates. Guess I'll find out Friday.

From what I can see, things are fairly well balanced, but there are some concerns that the IS-8 is slightly overpowered and that the IS-4 is "useless" compared to the IS-7. There's also a bit of concern that the ST-I (or is it ST-1?) gets a crappy base gun for the tier, and it's over 100K to the next gun.

A lot of people are pissed that they nerfed the KV-4. To me, it felt great at 45kph... it's a sitting duck with a top speed of 30kph. I realize the tank is 100 tons, but you can't catch anything with it and you can't get out of the artillery fire with it... and forget going uphill in it completely. With a tank that heavy, ramming should be a viable tactic, but it can't get up to speed unless you're headed downhill in a banzai. Even with the upgraded engine, it does 5kph on even a slight upgrade, leaving you really vulnerable.

Overall, the tanks that I made it to seemed balanced. The KV-2 felt like it belonged in tier 6, the T-150 felt a bit awkward but I didn't get nearly enough battles in it to make a decent judgement. The fully upgraded KV-3 is really nice and still gets favorable matchmaking; I ended up in plenty of battles where Tier 8 or Tier 7 were the top, and not plenty of automatic "I'm the only tier 7 WTF" matches.

I didn't get up to any of the good new stuff though; the ST-I is 166K once you elite the KV-4, and I had just unlocked the IS and elited it and was working on the IS-3 to get through to the -8 and -7, which also had >150K each to unlock. Even on test with the 10X rates, that's a lot of battles, especially for me. I really wanted to try the ST-I and the IS-8 since it'll be a hell of a long time before I see one on live.

I'm just going to be happy for the 2 free slots. I'll probably sell the KV-1 and keep the KV-2, and sell the T-150 and buy a KV-1S after I try a few more battles with it. I'll definitely be getting an IS next, as I like it more than the new KV-3 and was doing a lot better with it, and I think I'll like the line it leads to more than the KV-4 line.

I still have my T14, Hotchkiss(f), T1 Heavy, PzKpfw IV, StuG III, JpIV as well to mess around with. I also have the tier 4 turreted American TD, since I'm trying to work my way up that line too. I eventually want to get into American and German heavies as well, but that's a long, long way off.

I'd love to see what my efficiency rating was for the second test round... my efficiency rating on the NA server is piss poor (around 797), but I've been getting slowly better. I'm still making stupid mistakes about every third fight, and that's what I'm working on the most.