List some games you've played recently. PC, console, mobile, board... and give a */10

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The story and visuals are what shine. It MADE me want to progress which most games do not accomplish.

The visuals got boring after the first hour when the environment failed to ever change. Bioshock 1 was better in that regard.

The story felt like a child's attempt to be deep. It was one of the most shallow and basic 'sci-fi' plot.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The visuals got boring after the first hour when the environment failed to ever change. Bioshock 1 was better in that regard.

The story felt like a child's attempt to be deep. It was one of the most shallow and basic 'sci-fi' plot.

Ah well can't please everyone. Someone needs to get out more.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Someone needs to get out more.

"I can't have an actual discussion so I'm going to leave some passive aggressive comment to make me feel better about myself."

Come back when you gain the facilities to hear critique of a game you like and not take it personally.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
1830: Railroads and Robber Barons: Pretty good AI, pretty crappy graphics (if you care). Damn good gameplay. Bunch of options. 8/10.

World of tanks: Addictive as hell. Most expensive game I have ever played despite it being "free to play". Frustrating at times. FPS in a tank. 7/10.

Master of Orion 2: What can I say, I have played this game since it came out. 10/10.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
"I can't have an actual discussion so I'm going to leave some passive aggressive comment to make me feel better about myself."

Come back when you gain the facilities to hear critique of a game you like and not take it personally.

Oh..so you acting like the entire thing is beneath you isn't insulting to everyone who likes it? I don't particularly care if it wasn't your thing, but your being condescending about it...or at least that's how it comes off. I simply disagree, trust me, not butt hurt at all.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Oh..so you acting like the entire thing is beneath you isn't insulting to everyone who likes it?

It shouldn't be. There is a difference between criticizing a game (what I did) and criticizing someone based on if they like a game (what you did). I think what games you like and who you are as a person are decoupled enough that you shouldn't take offense when someone doesn't share your same opinion. I like ice cream, but I don't get upset when someone says "I think ice cream is too sweet and lacks substantial flavor."

I don't particularly care if it wasn't your thing, but your being condescending about it...or at least that's how it comes off. I simply disagree, trust me, not butt hurt at all.

I am not being condescending. I am just saying what I thought about the game. I didn't even say it was awful really, just slightly above middling - a mediocre game with a shiny AAA wrapping. Is that really so offensive?

If you aren't butt hurt, then maybe stick to the topic of evaluating games rather than evaluating people who evaluate games.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
MGS: Revengeance 6.5/10. I don't own a console since PS1 days. Combat mechanics heavily relying on parry are actually good but not enough to pull the entire game out of the gutter. It's a short game, took me about 5 hours to finish. Maybe I'm too old for this and my complaints may stem from loving MGS pieces that made it to the PC in the past and having played too many other over the top games that didn't take themselves seriously but I feel the target audience were teenagers unfamiliar with the MGS franchise. I got it discounted, it's $29.99 now which is just about a fair price. It was a huge download, over 25 GB of which 85% is cutscenes that got on my nerves a few times. They would have been better off to strip all the clutter and streamline it into a no interruptions hack 'n' slash. I admit I went in with the mindset that they picked the wrong MGS to port over, should have been the 3rd one. I never liked games that had enemies insult you as they tried to kill you only to do a 180 and spend their dying breath on you as if you are their best friend and MGS: R is one of the worst offenders of sprinkling bad TV soaps dialogues where they don't belong. If you feel the same then don't bother with this game. Ridiculously over the top, it's a hack 'n' slash that stopped just short of being a stupid button masher. Dialogues and monologues had me thinking STFU whenever words were spoken. As for the actual port, it's ok. It's capped at 1080p and options are limited but it wouldn't make much difference anyway. Obviously I am biased against it and blame it for things MGS: R isn't really guilty of. Hack n slash being a genre that I rarely play, game never stood a chance with me. Maybe if it were more like Deadpool I would have been more forgiving.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Batman Origins 6/10

They are all the same game; the quality that makes the series beloved is the combat, and you get much of the same here. Now some double-counters, and some differences but the game's draw is around it's combat, and it hasn't changed much nor for the better, just more.

Everything outside of the combat is the same in a new coat of paint. Still fun, but if you put many hours into the first two games, this will feel like a glorified expansion.

They need to make a Superman or Devil May Cry type game and leave Batman alone.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I realize not everyone's tastes are the same, but I find it interesting people blasting the game play like it's horrible when pretty much every other game out there is the same.
I can't speak for why others are blasting it, but I can't play shooters anymore for that very reason. The entire genre these days is based around fancy set pieces, action packed cut scenes, and a constant barrage of meaningless player progression and medals to keep the dopamine drip flowing. The gameplay has become almost non existent, so it's a genre I have started to ignore.

To actually add to the thread however.

Myst V: End of Ages. 4.5 out of 10. The worst in the series, weak puzzles, boring ages, dull graphics. The voice acting and solid integration into the character animations was probably the only highlight, so at least the story was presented well enough.

Trine. 5.5 out of 10. A fine concept, that I think was squandered by rarely requiring clever use of the three characters. It seemed like I spent 90% of my time as the thief, since her grappling hook got her through almost all of the levels obstacles quite easily. I would switch to the knight now and then to tank (of course the thief's upgraded bow mid way through the game makes the knight almost useless) and the mage to move things out of the way, but the levels very rarely required thinking your way through them.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. 7.0 out of 10. Brought down quite a bit by it's linear level design, and the feeling I could never shake that the developers had planned my every move before I even played it.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bioshock Infinite 7/10: I didn't even know this game had a HUGE hype, it just came out of nowhere for me. I actually playtested Bioshock 1 back in the days. I was impressed with its art direction and amazing storytelling, but the gameplay was rather boring. I couldn't finish the original, and I never bothered with the sequel.

Well now I get to try the game with this immense hype. Just started playing it. B:I is absolutely breathtaking. What a beautiful game, and it seems very well optimized too for my year-old $500 budget gaming rig.

i3-2120 with 4 gigs of ram & HD6870 (15% OC) runs it butter smooth at 1920x1080 with everything on High (not Ultra). It look absolutely gorgeous.

About 2 hours into it, I didn't get the bug to keep on playing. It felt like a typical Triple-A title FPS... just with a great storytelling. Now I tried to remember why I had so much fun playing Crysis 3- another typical mainstream shooter.

It's because Crysis actually gave you different ways to beat each zones. It was fun taking enemies out with stealth with various weapons. The upgrades were fun and you could also choose go to guns-a-blazin'.

B:I is quite... cut and dry. You attack the baddies head-on and seldom use the seconday weapon that is the Vigor. There is no in-depth strategy (lol actually made Crysis 3 look deep!). I quickly grew tired of it.

I'm really discouraged to launch the game again. I may try again tonight if I feel like it. But so far, the game is what it is. It won't suddenly change and I doubt my score will improve.

Anna-Moleva-as-Elizabeth.jpg

infinitieelizabeth_610.jpg

Me Likey! ^^

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sleeping Dogs - 7.5/10: I actually really enjoyed the game for the most part, but a there were a few things I did not like. The driving tasks and the races are the biggest one; I just found them very annoying and boring. After that, the combat; you acquire all of these cool moves along the way, but really I just spent the whole time surrounded by dudes, waiting for one of them to glow red, then countering with a couple of hits (if you do more, then you are open to attack by another dude). It gets pretty repetitive, though I did enjoy the environmental attacks.

I also wish there was a way to properly pursue the chick storylines; you only get to interact with them at specific points in the overall timeline and you can't really call them (I wanted to do more with Not Ping, but nothing came up).

I was looking at the DLC, but the only one that is worthwhile seems to be $6.99 which is a bit rich for my blood. Hopefully there will be a sale at some point.

KT

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Mass Effect 2. 6 out of 10. Between the lazy port, bugs, uninvolved main story line, and the completely dull combat mechanics, I found ME2 to be very overrated. I'd give it a lower score, but some of the side quests, characters, and general production value save it from being a complete disaster. It's unfortunate, because it did a lot of things better than ME, but it's a lot worse in other areas, so both end up on similar levels of mediocrity but for different reasons.

laezyre

Apr 19, 2008
The Banner Saga: 8/10. I loved the strategic combat(10/10). The story was decent (7/10), but seemed like it was incomplete. It was more like Act I with parts of the plot still ongoing when the game ended after only part of the plot was complete. The game was too short, but it was enjoyable.
Might and Magic X: 8.5/10. I'm not done with it yet, but it's a lot of fun and very old school. They need to optimize it for better performance and a few bugs, but there's a patch coming soon. The replay value is fairly good due to many different party compositions available.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Might and Magic X: 8.5/10

From a technical and polish standpoint, it probably doesn't deserve quite so high a rating, closer to 7/10 I'd say. There are a number of bugs (though I experienced relatively few of them), and some questionable design decisions that both make very little sense and don't seem like they would have taken much effort to change, but would have made huge improvements in the tactical depth and overall quality of the game play. There are also quite a few balance issues (combat related mostly) that are glaringly obvious enough that they really shouldn't have made it through testing.

All that said, my rating is based purely on enjoyment factor. I had a ton of fun with the game, and after beating it, immediately started up another playthrough (on the tougher difficulty mode) to try out another party combination. The fact that I'm essentially running through the exact same content (in almost the exact same progression) and STILL having a ton of fun says a lot. I expect they can fix most of the bugs and a lot of the balance issues through patches, but some of the deeper core issues likely can't be addressed via patches. Still, looking forward to some DLC with additional content, and I'm really hoping that this gets a sequel from the same development team, but with an eye towards making a more complex and tactical combat system.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Castlevania lord of the shadows and DMC- I'm going to score both around 7/10. The fighting is there in both games, but the level design is very lackluster. Horrible camera as well.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Batman: Arkham Origins

I heard tepid things about this game right after launch, so I held off buying it. Got it at Christmas as a gift, and got around to beating it a few weeks ago.
More proof that professional reviews are garbage. Gamespot gives this a 6/10, but Gone Home is a 9.5? Bite me, Gamespot.
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed all my time with AO. The story was excellent, the voice acting did not miss a beat from the previous two games (a tough feat), and the new villains were enjoyable.
Yes, the gameplay and fight mechanics aren't much different or innovative over the other two games, but so what. Each of those was GotY material. And we've had a grand total of TWO entries. Had we been on game 6 by this point, I'd change my attitude. But while it might not be supremely innovative anymore, it's still a blast, and a worthy entry in the series, hands down.

8.9 out of 10

---------------

The Last of Us

This is such a tricky game to review, because there's really two "games", there's the emotional narrative and character progression, and then the actual gameplay.
It's not perfect. There are a few iffy AI situations, especially involving stealth, and some of the set-ups for enemy encounters are a touch too "predetermined" feeling. I don't have a problem with the controls themselves, just that it feels a tad predictable with enemy placement and encounters. That dings the score a bit.
Everything else...my God. Without a doubt, one of, if not THE best told and executed stories, characters, and dialogue in any game. Period. The post-apocalyptic zombie setting isn't anywhere near original, but it's how the game handles the characters and their progression. I literally did NOT want to stop playing, just to see what happens to these characters. That, combined with genuinely excellent gameplay, makes it one of the best games of the generation all-around.

9.7 out of 10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
command & (omg .. i feel sick at typing this) ..
command .. no i cant do it.

*some bastardized version of the original Command & Conquer, but with tiny changes which completely break it and make it a dump.

3/10

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
command & (omg .. i feel sick at typing this) ..
command .. no i cant do it.

*some bastardized version of the original Command & Conquer, but with tiny changes which completely break it and make it a dump.

3/10

May I interest you in a new Dungeon Keeper?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Insurgency 9/10:

I have played the Insurgency mod since the beginning before it became a retail standalone game, it was fun and difficult but has that tactical gameplay feel. With the official release, it feels like a complete game regardless of how lacking it is on the graphics side and if you're familiar with Red Orchestra 1 & 2 then you'll feel right at home with Insurgency, it has several game modes including vs AI (they're sometimes harder than you would expect). And after my endless frustration with Battlefield 4 (and Call of Duty series), this is a breath of fresh air and has some nice features even the big game titles lacks. It's cheap on Steam so you may as well give it a try if you can shell out $15USD.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Bulletstorm - 7/10 - I put off playing this (I think I got it for $5 some time ago) because everyone was hating on it. Loaded it up randomly one day and played through it pretty quickly. I enjoyed it, but then I don't mind low brow humor. I didn't really care for all the QTE's, but the remote control dinosaur was crazy fun.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
STARBOUND - 6/10

Fun little game, gets some things right (the exploration), but it's very easy to get to the endgame, and once there, you might as well uninstall.
Imho, Terraria (which this game cloned) did things much better.

Titanfall BETA - 8/10 (or more)

What i want from an online, semi- competitive shooter, is proper support, such as lag-free servers, matchmaking, bugfixes, etcetera. from what i've seen, they got this.
Gameplay wise, it's a fun, relatively low-brow game, but i have to yet develop any experience in it. Once we hit the skill ceiling, we'll be able to really say wether it's a 7, an 8 or a 9.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
tale of two brothers 8/10, fun beautiful, short and depressing

napoleon total war....7/10. interesting battles, ai sucks, campaign is horrid