List some games you've played recently. PC, console, mobile, board... and give a */10

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - 6.7/10
Picked this up in the Steam Sale, and beat this last night. I have about 40 hour into it. I really enjoyed the first 20 hours or so. But then the game kind of grinds to a halt in the middle, as you just kind of wander around and kill things, most of which die in one hit. So the next 15 hours or so is at best average.
The dragon parts are the highlight of this part of the game, but there is just not enough to do as a dragon since the game only lets you interact with, or even see, ground units in human form. For the most part your dragon form just becomes a way to move around the map fast.
You have a lot of quests to solve, but it turns out that you can't actually solve most of them until the very end. In the last 5 hours I solved like 70 percent of all the quests in a quick series that takes you to the final boss and those last 5 hours are enjoyble again.

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Bioshock Infinite - 6/10
Mediocre gameplay, boring guns, severe lack of enemy variety, severe lack of environment variety, severe lack of situational variety, unexplained plasmids, hamfisted regenerating health, and a shallow story pretending to be deep (that review critics fell for). I can't believe this game was called an "intelligent game for intelligent gamers".

The only plusses are that the graphics are decent and the game didn't have any technical issues.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
A few old games I finally got around to:

Alan Wake: 7/10
Beautiful environments and an interesting combat mechanic. The story was so hyped I felt a bit let down by it. It was interesting enough, though. Good characters and excellent voice actors.

Didn't like the off-center 3rd person camera that always made me feel like I was moving diagonally.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: 7.5/10
This isn't a game-type I would normally buy, but a friend gifted it to me. I ended up loving it.

Superb artistic direction throughout. Great voice acting. Amazing score. I sunk almost 40 hours into the campaign and thought it was pretty compelling all the way through.

Two things I didn't care for: timed combat events (and there were many) and the puzzles, which most of the time seemed to just ruin the flow of the game.

Dishonored: 7/10
Just a really fun game with a great environment and an interesting story.

Contagion: 5/10
Pretty much repetitive and boring after awhile. It is an early access, but I don't see it really getting a whole lot better.

Underhell: 7.5/10
Free Source mod (noticed it has been Greenlit on Steam). So many different awesome things going on here. Yes, it is a mod, and the voice acting is horrible, but everything else is just so good. Not to mention that the campaign took me over 20 hours to complete. Highly recommend! I play stuff like this - put together by a very small group of modders, and I wonder why we can't get a major studio FPS title developed with the same kind of approach.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Alpha Protocol: 7/10; but 8.5/10 for enjoyment
Working on my backlog and played Alpha Protocol. The game is clearly a console port and has some clipping issues (well get stuck in corners and such from invisible barriers when in rocky terrain). The missions are interesting (think deus ex but I actually prefer alpha protocol's version) and the presentation (story, cut scene and such) are extremely enjoyable (though now and then stero typed and tacky). Not so many surprises and perhaps overall progression has a linear feel (even if you can pick the order of many missions).
-
The biggest negatives are the controls don't feel right (even if the actually keyboard commands are traditional) and the clipping issue annoyed me esp wehn they happened during combat. Also I had some very frustrating crashes that were resolved by verifying content (not the game fault). While I gave it a 7/10 due to consoleness and linearness the game is well worth playing - highly recommended. Probably worth two play through.
---
Shadow warrior 7/10; 6.5/10 for enjoyment
-
There is nothing wrong with the game; decent length; ok graphics; controls are fine; I found the level layout boring and generally I found the game as a whole boring. I guess the reason the rating is so low is by the time i finished I was glad to be done with it and have no intention of playing again. I guess I would sum it up as boring.

Last edited:

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I was starting to burn out on gaming. I've got kids now, so I have a faction of the spare time I used to have. I love western RPGs more than everything else, but I can appreciate just about any genera. There's been a lack of RPGs for me lately, and I've played through Fallout: NV and Skyrim again just recently. I have a stack of AAA games I've put a few hours into, but they just didn't keep my interest.

Metro 2033: 6/10 The slow start and QTEs are grating on me. I know I'll enjoy it more if I hang in there. I love a creepy atmosphere, and this has it.

Witcher 2: 7/10. This will probably ramp up. I got it on release day. Worst tutorial mission ever! :) I liked the game, but I think another major game came out and it got abandoned. I've been hesitating to restart. Once I do, I know I'll get into it again.

Batman Arkham City: 7/10 I loved Asylum. Played about an hour of this. It's looks to be the same, which isn't a bad thing. I think I just lost interest and wanted something fresher. No complaints on the game. I'll probably rate it higher once I get into it again.

Fallout: New Vegas/Skyrim: 9.5/10 I'm a sucker for Bethesda games, or anything with great exploration. While they may have their quirks, these are the best examples of recent gaming perfection to me.

Battlefield 3/4. 8/10 I loved Bad Company 2. I bought BF3 and didn't get a chance to play it before BF4 came out. Gun unlocks seem to be painfully slow, but I'm enjoying it so far.

GTA IV: 8/10 I bought this right as it came out on Games For Windows Live. (Because they had it cheapest on sale) My hardware was way above requirements, but it was basically unplayable. Now that GTA V is (probably) around the corner, I went through the nightmare of fiddling with the patch to remove GFWL and the Social Club. It's still annoying getting to the game, but now that I can play it with a great frame rates, I'm having a blast. This is what I'm currently playing. I'm sure I'll bounce out to BF4 for a bit.

Path of Exile: 7/10 Fun Diablo clone. Especially for free.

Diablo 3: 7 /10 Fun. Doesn't have the addictive quality of the first two.

Borderlands 2: 8/10 Addicting. I was having a ton of fun solo. I just burned out before I finished.

I'm really looking forward to Project Eternity, Torment, and Wasteland 2. These games are really looking to get back to the roots of gaming I love. I'm really pumped for these.

Mobile: (Android)
I just bought a Note 3 and I have a GameKlip. I have purchased and installed a number of AAA games. I have gigs of MAME/emulator games. What game and I obsessed with? 10,000,000 It's a great game! I'm probably on my 12th playthough.

Buttons and Scissors: Fun! Most of the puzzles are easy, but then they put a few that make you crazy. My legs will fall asleep trying to solve the stumpers while I'm on the throne. :)

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I've tried - swayed by the review - Alpha Protocol. 3/10

You need to really be starved of games to play this. Plays like a PS2 game, even if on PC; Syphon Filter had pretty much the same camera/movement system 15 years ago.
Really poor graphics (even maxed), bad maps, bad AI, but most of all ..

Horrible gameplay. Taking 5 ranks in Assault Rifles, crouched, aiming down sights and holding aim for 5 seconds , i still miss a guy standing still 10 feet away with my crosshair square on his chest.
Srsly give me a break.

Abakus

Jan 29, 2014
Metro 2033: 7.6/10

I haven't beaten this game yet, but I loved it the moment it started. It is a bit slow at the start, even when you first leave the shelter, but it picks up. It has a really nice and creepy story, with horrifying creatures that attack you savagely and even ones that fly. I really dig the post-apocalyptic atmosphere too!

Fallout New Vegas: 8/10

Another post-apocalyptic game. I really love them. That said, this was my "first" Fallout game (I played Tactics before and a few minutes of Fallout 3) and I enjoyed every minute of it. I sat down, created a character and found that most of my Saturday morning had gone by without me noticing! I love being able to explore and interact with the world, and kill some baddies, and this game definitely had that for me.

The Last of Us: 9/10

I went in thinking I was going to be incredibly disappointed, but boy was I wrong. It managed to blend together gameplay and beautiful cinema moments perfectly. The acting was incredible and the flesh of the characters (mostly Ellie and Joel) was amazing. Of course, there is the gameplay itself. It had a few things I didn't like or thought wasn't worked out entirely or was just buggy/odd, but for a shooter it was really good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
FTL - 5/10

It lasted two days before i uninstalled it. At first i was fascinated, but then i realized it's not a game: it's gambling.The amount of randomness far outweights the amount of decision-making (without which you'll fail anyway, thus giving the impression of a game), and the "no farming" mechanic prevents you from beating an otherwise easy system.
ANgband was fair, this is unfair. You can do everything right, and still lose badly because randomness, and you aren't even give the chance to grind.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
FTL - 5/10

It lasted two days before i uninstalled it. At first i was fascinated, but then i realized it's not a game: it's gambling.The amount of randomness far outweights the amount of decision-making (without which you'll fail anyway, thus giving the impression of a game), and the "no farming" mechanic prevents you from beating an otherwise easy system.
ANgband was fair, this is unfair. You can do everything right, and still lose badly because randomness, and you aren't even give the chance to grind.

I love FTL. Put many hours into it. There are lots of good mods to keep it fresh. I hear you on the gambling aspect, must also be why I like the game lol.

Also, this is one game that I do NOT feel guilty about cheating a little. On a new play through I would give myself 200 in cash or even a little more and the game is still plenty challenging on normal.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Bioshock Infinite - 6/10
Mediocre gameplay, boring guns, severe lack of enemy variety, severe lack of environment variety, severe lack of situational variety, unexplained plasmids, hamfisted regenerating health, and a shallow story pretending to be deep (that review critics fell for). I can't believe this game was called an "intelligent game for intelligent gamers".

The only plusses are that the graphics are decent and the game didn't have any technical issues.
Wow really?

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham.

10/10. Jewish Khazar empire anyone?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Wow really?
I also didn't think the combat or story were anything exceptional.
However. The way the whole story is animated - every single bit, no skipping between cutscenes - and the interaction between graphics and action - the skylines, to be exact - are amazing. It's really a playthrough film, the story is kinda trite, but the fact that you get to play it all .. well done bioshock.

UptheIrons

Aug 14, 2009
Shank 2. 8/10. Silly fun

Batman Arkham City 9/10. Great Story

Tomb Raider 9/10. Great story and graphics. Next gen consoles getting the pc version mostly haha. BTW Lara is soooo hot. Don't know why they had to redo her face for next gen.

Spec ops the line. 8/10. Great story. Mediocre graphics. A lil corny at times but lots of fun.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Wow really?

I think 6/10 is too generous for Infinite. All the pretty graphics seem to make most people forget it's a mostly linear second rate shooter. None of the weapons or even plasmids are that interesting, and every battle is spawned groups that are probably using the same AI as the first Bioshock.

Starbound 6.5/10

It's early in the supposed beta, but I highly doubt a complete turnaround of the game will happen. While all the different planets are cool, and there are places to find on them like villages, it is all purely generic. There are only a handful of 'wanted' items to find (tech), so the VAST majority of planets are nothing but a new place to mine.

The combat is horrible; mobs either straight rush you, or jump super high to try and land on you. Every boss fight is near impossible unless you encase yourself in blocks and shoot through small holes. A new healing item might help, but the base 'fun' mechanic just isn't there.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Battlefield 4. It's beautiful, the gun play is good, and the multiplayer is fun. Unfortunately, I've had a few glitches. 8/10.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
XCom: Enemy Within: 9.5/10

Been playing this since last December and still am playing it. I really enjoyed the original EU (completed Ironman Classic with great excitement and plan to do the same with EW). It seems so simple and yet so richly detailed and engrossing. There is no other game I have played so enjoyable and so exclusively that I can name.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
All PC games...

BF4... 10/10
I have really loved Battlefield 4... the best shooter out there, IMO. A bit of a rough start when it first came out, but I think that part of the prob was DICE was so ambitious with what they were trying to accomplish. (No, I don't work for them). The Conquest battles on Golmud Railway have been incredible...Love to play Engineer class dueling against the vehicles, and grabbing flags. I'm a bit obsessed it seems trying to max out my rank. (at @ 77 or so now)... I'm retired and have too much time on my hands as a gaming slacker.

I was playing a lot of CCTA- 8/10 (Command & Conquer:Tiberium Alliances), but I'm burned out after a year or so.

The old classic golf Sim 'Links 2003' (10/10)... best golf sim ever.

Another oldie, an RTS called 'Total Annihilation' (9/10).... fun building your base, army, and going after the bad boys... game is available very cheap.

Son gave me his xbox360 as he just got the new one. I thought I would get a used Madden to try it out. I've had it since November and still have not used it... I'm a PC gamer all the way.... The last time I played a lot of console gaming was the Mattel Intellivision baseball game back in the early 1980's.... what a BLAST that was...

Last edited:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I think 6/10 is too generous for Infinite. All the pretty graphics seem to make most people forget it's a mostly linear second rate shooter. None of the weapons or even plasmids are that interesting, and every battle is spawned groups that are probably using the same AI as the first Bioshock.
This enforces my impressions of it from videos and reviews. It looks lazy and generic in almost all aspects of it's gameplay, but impresses people enough with it's presentation to be considered a great game. Too many studios these days seem to forget they are making games and not movies. Glad I've avoided it

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
This enforces my impressions of it from videos and reviews. It looks lazy and generic in almost all aspects of it's gameplay, but impresses people enough with it's presentation to be considered a great game. Too many studios these days seem to forget they are making games and not movies. Glad I've avoided it

It might not be as good as everyone says it is, but i think its a game worth playing nevertheless.

For my birthday i was gifted Steam Marines.
A game that is still in early access but is already quite polished and almost finished (the dev says that he is planning to release it in April)
Im a sucker for Roguelikes lately... Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, FTL, Rogue Legacy, I love them.
That being said, this game is a turn-based squad roguelike.
If you like roguelikes, OR/AND turn-based games, OR/AND difficulty, you should totally check this game out

8/10 (and its early access)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I play a lot of FPS and it's the only one in recent memory I've finished. The gameplay itself is nothing new, but then neither is 99% of the fodder that comes out so I can't really hold that against it. The story and visuals are what shine. It MADE me want to progress which most games do not accomplish.

I realize not everyone's tastes are the same, but I find it interesting people blasting the game play like it's horrible when pretty much every other game out there is the same. BTW, FEAR was crap compared to this(was thinking someone made a comparison earlier).

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
BTW, FEAR was crap compared to this(was thinking someone made a comparison earlier).
The last one, maybe since everything including the dev team was different but the first 2 FEAR games were definitely not crap. The first FEAR is one of the best FPS games I ever played. It had a good story, great combat and one of the best AI ever.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The last one, maybe since everything including the dev team was different but the first 2 FEAR games were definitely not crap. The first FEAR is one of the best FPS games I ever played. It had a good story, great combat and one of the best AI ever.

What? They just threw enemy after enemy at you. There was barely any AI..maybe it was good for the time but it was nothing special. It was more like Doom 3 in terms of gameplay. I quit somewhere around 3/4 through it. I found Singularity to be a better game although the AI sucked in it.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
What? They just threw enemy after enemy at you. There was barely any AI..maybe it was good for the time but it was nothing special. It was more like Doom 3 in terms of gameplay. I quit somewhere around 3/4 through it. I found Singularity to be a better game although the AI sucked in it.

No, it did have excellent AI. Go back and replay it, or read reviews from the time. It was stellar. You must be thinking of another game.

Enemies would actively try and flank you, respond realistically to grenades being thrown, try and stay behind cover, etc.
Because of this, and the stellar effects for the time, FEAR had some of the best, most intense firefights and shootouts of any FPS up to that time.

From IGN's review at the time:

At any rate, the enemies are very mobile and aware of their environment and chances against you. As you pick them off one by one, they'll request backup, caustically refuse orders from their superiors to move in, flank you, toss grenades in your face, take pot shots, lean around obstacles, swear, wonder aloud where you are, make fearful pronouncements about your combat prowess, and notice your flashlight beam, among other details. They're always on the lookout for you, react quickly, and are fine with hiding behind a corner to ambush you, rather than running at you blindly. If it wasn't for Slo-Mo, I would have been toast more times than I can count. And it's not just the brutal foot soldiers. You'll meet several varieties of enemy, each requiring specific tactics and weapon types.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

I think you need to replay the game. Comparing the AI of enemies in FEAR and Bioshock Infinite shows how boring and vapid Bioshock Infinite's enemies are.