List some games you've played recently. PC, console, mobile, board... and give a */10

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I gotta throw this out there, since there seems to be a big interest in roguelike games lately.
Anyone tried Tales Of Middle Earth?

Its a new, new, new version of Angband, with a ton of new content. (and color!)
And it's actually playable. You can "guess it" most of the time, instead of the aforementioned Angband where insta-death is just one misread monster description away.
Also, it not just randomly generated dungeon after randomly generated dungeon, there's a whole story, with events, real NPCs, indooor and outdoors areas, quests, and so on. Its a real old-skool D&D-like RPG, with just a bit of crazy throw in.

And ofc Silmarillion-level powers of awesomeness.

http://te4.org/
(seems things have changed a bit in the last years)

Last edited:

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Got back into counter-strike the past few days.

New skins and maps are cool.

Looks like they are trying to make it more like COD though which kind of sucks, but I still like the game because it sticks to its roots still.

8/10

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Fry Cry 3: (9/10)
I knew this was reviewed well, and I liked the previous 2. FC2 was a bit strange, and I had a game ending glitch about 3/4 of the way through, but I still liked it. I'm REALLY liking FC3. It's perfect for my game style. I rarely get a chance for an all day gaming marathon, so sitting down for an hour or two capturing a few radio towers, grabbing a few relics, doing a few hunts, a story mission here or there, and HOLY CRAP, WHERE DID THE TIME GO? :)

Good job Crytek!

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Metro Last Light 6/10

Only have four hours played so far, but I'm completely bored of it. Reminds me a lot of Bioshock Infinite - so pretty and interesting setting with hardly any good actual gameplay.

Shooting guards with a silenced gun and they drop 10 feet away from a guy that doesn't notice, and not being able to be seen (even if 2 feet away) unless a guard has his headlamp on ... weak stealth mechanics.

Every, and I mean every passage that isn't the linear A to B portion has some monsters or guards with some loot at the end. The gun customization is basic at best, and if you'd say the first game had 100% difficulty, this one ranks around 10% difficulty.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 11/10

Bought Disciples 2 and didn't like it, so reinstalled HoMM 3 for the 30th time. Still draws me in; no fancy graphics, but deep strategic gameplay. My 'Best Game Ever Made' easily.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
STARBOUND - 6/10

Fun little game, gets some things right (the exploration), but it's very easy to get to the endgame, and once there, you might as well uninstall.
Imho, Terraria (which this game cloned) did things much better.

Titanfall BETA - 8/10 (or more)

What i want from an online, semi- competitive shooter, is proper support, such as lag-free servers, matchmaking, bugfixes, etcetera. from what i've seen, they got this.
Gameplay wise, it's a fun, relatively low-brow game, but i have to yet develop any experience in it. Once we hit the skill ceiling, we'll be able to really say wether it's a 7, an 8 or a 9.

You should also add "Beta" to Starbound, since you did that for Titanfall. a bti unfair to say Terraria did things better, because it has a few years of maturity and massive content updates compared to Starbound. In the end, Terraria is definitely better, but I like the larger exploration, "quest" system and crafting in Starbound compared to Terraria.

Starbound is still not in official release, and the only reason I purchased it is because my nephew really wanted it, so I grabbed it so that we could play together--I was going to get Terraria for him, but for some reason it is not compatible with Mac, which he has on his TV as a glorified Minecraft server.

I do like that Starbound has various race specific attributes and condition specific armors--a set that lets you explore cold areas, oxygen-depleted environments, hot environments, etc.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
what you say is all true.
Tbh, starbound does offer great promise - the fact that the devs had the balls to make real changes during the early beta, instead of limping along like minecraft did. The website promises that the finished game will be different from the "4-bosses to unlock everything" format it has now, and i'd be glad to see that.

But .. in the shape it stands now, it's too easy to get to a point where you are too comfortable and nothing really pushes you.

Resources gathering is a bit of a problem. Here is what happened to me:
i got to the last sector. This is where *all* the new materials are, and the ones you get before this are puny in comparison.

However, it was just too easy for me to land on a lev 10 planet with my lev 4 diamon drill, dig a hole, ignore the mobs, and just gather up 1000 units of every material in the game.

With these, just craft the "unlock everything" templates, and have the tier 10 armour before fighting a single lev 6 mob.

Now the only thing i fear are dungeons on lev 10 planets. I just feel i was allowed to jump between 5 and 10 way too easily.

The early game progression is done much better at the moment.

(oh. and the mechanic of "build a wall to hold the mobs in" is too cheaty of a system; the vast majority of boss, miniboss, dungeon and high tier fights are played like this)

myss

Banned
Apr 2, 2014
<spam>

For me it is a fantastic chess game. Very suitable to play on mobile except some battle scenes where mobile screen is small to be able to hit the target unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
ARMA 3 is awesome.10/10..

Finally got around to buying ARMA 3 from Steam after 7 months.
(since the game was originally released Sept.12,2013.)

Beautiful graphics,fun gameplay,and addicting.(I started out in multiplayer,and haven't tried singleplayer yet..)

I played 78 minutes last night.(stopped around 9:45 PM.)

(considering I have to go to work this morning,that shows you how hooked I was.)

IVIX1

Oct 30, 2013
Dark souls 9/10 - **REMOVED** amazing game. My only problem with it was how terrible the port is but with a controller and dsfix the game is amazing

Deus ex:HR 10/10 - I loved the combat story and music, I could not stop playing this game.

Alan Wake 9/10 - Story and atmosphere were awesome. The combat got kind of repetitive but it was an excellent game

I am not often running into people whom are giving Deus Ex HR the same 10/10 as myself.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut I feel is even better. Granted there are some graphical downgrades compared to the Non-Directors Cut. From what I've been able to find out the Directors Cut was acutally built on an earlier version of Human Revolution. I guess Directors Cut was more optimized for consoles, even though it was/is a PC game first. Nonetheless, I can't get enough of Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut.

I recommend anyone willing to part with $4.99 give it a try. The $4.99 price is available quite often via many different sites. You will not be disappointed. Yes controls are a bit "different' than other games, but tbh Deus Ex HR is a different game. Different that just seems to get better and better. And with the DC version, it has alot of added depth. The Dev's Commentary option is a great additional feature which offers a ton of insight into the development, motivations, expectations, etc that the game studio had for the game.

I don't mean to over-hype the game people...really I dont. Its actual a good game/amazing game for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

IVIX1

Oct 30, 2013
My friend made me play a Japanese Visual Novel called "Sengoku Rance".

Its meant for mature audience as there is a lot of sexual scenes but all in the pure aspect of comedy.

i think i would give that game almost a 10.... it did keep me busy in the rpg tatics type portion as well as made the story hella funny with Rance's lust.

This is what i mean about turn based tatics..
rance-select-foe.jpg

you can find translated fansub mods of the game.
I believe it doesn't hold any licenses in the US also, although don't quote me on that...
Alicesoft isnt EA, and most of there stuff is not for distribution outside of Japan. (no ESRB)

I saw your recommended Sengoku game, and am interested in finding a way to try the game out. Is there any place you'd know of where i could download a demo/try the game? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
All 3 played on the Xbox One over the past week...

Titanfall: 8/10--I actually really like this game. However, given it comes from the Modern Warfare crew, it's rather frustrating to see some of the worst of those games still exist. In particular, the melee physics are frustrating, both for the pilot-on-pilot kicks and the Titan stomps, which seem to sit on the opposite ends of the accuracy spectrum (kicking's super-inaccurate at times, while stepping on someone's too widespread). That said, the shooting is better than CoD, IMO, and the free-running is really cool (although it can get frustrating like moving in Assassin's Creed, where you get stuck on the wrong section of wall).

Kinect Sports Rivals: 6/10--Rivals is a bit tougher to peg. The main problem is that my console is in my room, the ceilings are pretty low (8 feet, maybe), and there is a fan. On top of that, I'm pretty tall. All of this leads to a rather disappointing experience, as the one evening (3-4 hours) I spent on the game led to a lot of issues with not being seen by the Kinect. Oh, and I hit my hand on the fan (as did my cousin, who is much shorter). You need a decently-large area to use the Kinect, along with somewhat-high ceilings. Still, what I played was fun, if imprecise (rock climbing was probably the most-frustrating of the group).

Forza Motorsport 5: 8/10--I'm still very early on in this game (only my second circuit), so it's too soon to give this a proper rating. However, the so-far impression is solid. It looks and plays really well, and the Drivatar feature is actually really neat (if frustrating at times, because a lot of the racers are jerks/morons). I need to get into more cars to see how the big-time stuff feels, though I did already have a little letdown in seeing the Maserati MC 12 listed as a DLC vehicle.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I&#8217;ve been on indie game binge lately. Their unconventional gameplays are refreshing from your typical AAA titles of FPS, RPG, RTS, and MOBAs (Dota/LoL).

Risk_of_Rain_Cover.png

Risk_of_Rain_screenshot.png

RiskOfRain.jpg

Risk of Rain 8/10: A solid 8 indeed. This game employs the &#8216;Keep on dying until you beat it with gradually unlocking collection of items&#8217; mechanic. It sounds lame at first, but it&#8217;s quite addictive. It&#8217;s a 2D platform. I HATE platformers that you die when you fall. Thankfully, you don&#8217;t die from falling in this game (only take 5% damage). This is a straight up 100% action right from minute 1. You are constantly shooting, dodging, and managing cooldowns of 4 of your skills. Soon, you are totally submerged in a clusterfvck of enemies- this is reminscent of Doom I & II. It's awesome! The items you get are addictive- fire damage, splash damage, piercing, multishot, homing rockets, AOE damage, etc. It&#8217;s quite fun- comes with like 5-8 characters, all with COMPLETELY unique skills and approach.

Binding_of_Isaac_Rebirth_Header.png

The_Binding_of_Isaac_-_Rebirth_gameplay.gif

The Bindings of Isaac: Rebirth 9/10: Did I rate the original before? This is a full-blown non-Flash conversion/remake. Now with tons more items, unlockables, characters, and etc. It&#8217;s a top-down 2D shooter, similar to Zelda or Smash TV. Your hero shoots tears and the most of the fun comes from seeing different combos of your tears based on what kind of items you pick up. You got your rapid-fire, charge-shot, 3-way, a constant stream Laser, homing, you name it. This game has a HUGE replayability due to craptons of items. I guess in essence, the core mechanic is similar to Risk of Rain (but this game came out first).

Don't let the gif above fool you. Later on, you'll be spitting 8000 bullets of tears and laying havoc on craptons of enemies and bosses.

Last edited:

GHz_ghost

Dec 7, 2014
PC Games:

Toxikk Beta
- 9/10
This game was just released today on Steam Early Access and already I am really enjoying it. It's an arena shooter in the vein of Unreal Tournament and Quake, but I am actually able to get into it more than those games. (Not that those games are bad, but none of the UT games have a great player base right now and I don't care for Quake Live.) The visuals are nice. The controls feel good. The gameplay itself is excellent. The only downside right now is that there is only one map available, with more coming in February. If you like arena shooters I would recommend picking it up even in spite of it's Early Access status.

Batman Arkham City GOTY - 8/10
I haven't made it too far into this game yet, but I am loving it so far. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum a lot and this game takes everything from that one and improves upon it. Not to mention that it is visually very beautiful as well. I am looking forward to getting through the story.

The LEGO Movie Video Game - 7/10
Simple as it may be, this game is a lot of fun. I bought it mainly for my SO and I to play together because we love The Lego Movie. Graphically speaking, it could be better-I don't think there is any AA to speak of-but I'm not really playing it to be visually wowed. Simple and easy, but still a lot of fun and even more so with someone to play with.

Saints Row IV - 9/10
I was a huge fan of Saints Row 3, and this game took all that I loved about it and amplified it. The story is just as ridiculous and the humor is just as hilarious. Visually speaking it's....okay. The environments look nice, but I think the character models look awful. Still, this doesn't detract from what is otherwise a blast of a game.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 9/10
Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite series' of all time, and this game is an excellent addition to it. Yes, it is light on content, but there is still enough there with the side missions and everything to hold me over until Phantom Pain is released. Visually, it's stunning. Everything I know and love about MGS is here, and then some. I do miss Hayter as Snake, though.

LA Noire - 8/10
I bought this game quite a while back as part of a Steam sale and only first started playing it this month. I regret it took me this long to get into. I have probably made it about halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. The facial animations are awesome. I just wish that the textures and character models could be updated.

Board Games:

Sushi Go! - 10/10
This is one of my favorite board/card/tabletop games of all time. It's a drafting game, where you pick a card and pass it. It's very simple, but undeniably fun. My SO and I and our roommate have all really enjoyed it.

King of Tokyo - 9/10
This is another really great board game. This one was actually designed by Richard Garfield, the same guy who designed Magic: The Gathering. There is a lot of chance involved, but it is still a blast to play.

Magic: The Gathering (Commander 2015 Forged In Stone and Sworn to Darkness Decks) - 10/10
I used to play Magic competitively in Standard, but I got tired of it due to lack of creativity in the format. Also, I was tired of cards rotating out. Commander filled that gap for me, but I don't have the money to pour into a deck of my own, so lately my roommate and I have been playing with preconstructed decks. I already owned all 5 of the Commander 2013 decks, but this review is for the Forged in Stone and Sworn to Darkness decks specifically. In short, they are a lot of fun. I love the new (or at least new to me) idea of using a Planeswalker as your commander, and having played these decks against each other I can say that they are really a lot of fun. The scenarios and situations that unfold are interesting and intriguing, and there is enough variety in the format that you'll never play the same game twice.

Last edited:

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Anno 1404 - 10/10

A beautiful strategy game, and the best in the series. This game has more depth than anything you can imagine. I find my self playing for hours trying to create a sustainable island of inhabitants, providing them with their every needs while also trying to profit a dollar or two. This game is a must for any Simcity fan, or any fan of economic, trading, and strategy games. Far better than Anno 2070 in my personal opinion.

Anno42009-06-1722-36-26-42.jpg

Metro 2033 Last Light Redux - 7/10

An insanely gorgeous game, that runs as smooth as butter. The atmosphere in this game is phenomenal and really gives you a sense of despair. I enjoyed the story but have ultimately stopped playing due to spoiling the game through Youtube "lets plays" (the death of gaming). It has solid shooting mechanics, but the stealth could have been done a lot better. Overall what you get is a creepy atmospheric shooter with a decent story to boot.

483754-1920x1080.jpg

Lords of Xulima - 8/10

A hit that came out of nowhere. A top down isometric RPG that grants you a deep party/skill based gameplay set in the enchanted lands of Xulima. This is a throwback to classic RPG's, its hard and it doesn't hold your hand. A must have for any fan of old school RPG's in my book.

attachment.php

World of Tanks - 9/10

Who would have known a multiplayer fps style tank game would have me so hooked. This game is solid, has a great progression system and never has me feeling like I need to pay in order to get ahead. I have learned a lot about history through this game and my interest in the machinery during the WW2 era has never been at an all time high. Highly recommended for any FPS player that's looking for something new and refreshing.

world_of_tanks_battle-1920x1080.jpg

Tropico 5 - 6/10

While it retains its quirky humor and gameplay from the 3rd and 4th edition, for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I was hoping for more I guess, something new and refreshing. Instead, it's just more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a slap in the face to anyone who has played the previous two iterations.

_The_World_Game_Tropico_5_079713_.jpg

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm glad someone brought back this thread.

Starbound specifically; remember how i predicted this game would never make it out of beta??
Zero updates since. Apparently they have a new boss which is in a snapshot. No gameplay changes, guns are still weak, build-a-wall mechanic is still the only way to play.

Meruem20

Jan 4, 2015
ON PC:
Nba 2k - i love this game so much! love the graphics, it improves a lot every year..and adding some cool features specially on 2k15!
I give it 9/10

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Lord of the Fallen: 7/10
Being a fan of dark souls games i really wanted to play this game. It started out great but the more i played the more i got bored of it, the more tedious it got.
In the end i had secrets not discovered and items that i didnt find but i couldnt care less about them, i just wanted to finish the game once and for all

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
VC (pc port): 9.5/10 - very entertaining.
Child of LIght 8.5/10 - fun but maybe a wee bit something or other.
Xulima - 7.5/10 - starts out fantastic but about 2/3 of the way grindy and a bit too long
Trine - 8/10 - ok this is an old game but I'm 80% done first play. Not sure if I like this or child of light better; some annoying jump puzzles that don't work quite so well with kb/m.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Far Cry 4 and Escape from Durgesh Prison. "Escape" was as long as Blood Dragon (on Far Cry 3). Worth a look if you missed it. Both 9/10

South Park: The Stick of Truth. 8/10 Fun! Funny! If you're a fan, check it out!