List some games you've played recently. PC, console, mobile, board... and give a */10

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
My latest played games:
- Divinity: Original Sin: Great game, with the only problem for me that started difficult, then medium, then easy (reverse as how it should be IMHO). I'd give it 9/10.
- Crusader Kings 2: Excellent grand strategy game with a steep learning curve. 9/10
- Europa Universalis 4: Excellent grand strategy game with a steep learning curve (same developers as CK2). 9.5/10
- Lords of Xulima: Great party based/turn based RPG (my favorite type of RPG). Only problem is that it's way too long, had it been half the length I would have given it higher score: 7.5/10
- Blackguards: Great tactical RPG. 8.5/10.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
DAO Free from Origin (a few months ago), so I thought to give it a try Story and characters: 9/10 A story driven game. Not so much interested in graphics, though IMO not bad Never played this type of game, so struggling with "tactics" and "strategy". Mass Effect, Witcher TES games I had no problems with as sort of combo RPG + shooter. To my chagrin, I am playing this game on "easy" (at least until I get used to the game mechanics). Started on "Normal" and got killed over and over...couldn't understand why "button mashing" in combat did not work.

PAINKILLER Black (Steam) Gameplay 8/10, Variety of levels 8/10 Old game, but still a favorite for mindless kill the monsters shooter. However, some story line and I like the puzzles and Tarot card aspects. But you do have to delete save games in this version or the game can crash.

SKYRIM Typical TES game Story line 7/10, graphics MODDED 9/10 For me, half the fun in TES games are the variety of mods available. Leveling system weak, but can also change this with mods.

The Wife

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Banished - City Builder - 7.5/10

A smaller scale city builder, where you start a new town with several families and some resources. Cut down trees, mine stone and iron, and construct homes, farms, tailors, and other buildings.

It looks good, and is interesting, but the disaster side is unfinished to say the least. I had a house on fire with a well 10 feet away, and 40 people couldn't put out the fire (ended up burning down my entire town). Good thing you can turn disasters off, because there is literally no way to stop fire.

Wasteland 2 - RPG - 8/10

Turn based RPG set in Nevada and California after nuclear war.

A pretty long game (took me 70 hours to complete), with tons of branching quests which change the game depending on what you do.

Great if you like this kind of game, but not without issues. Only a few weapon categories are actually good, and save-scumming is a part of the game because even at maxed skills like lockpicking, you will still come across locked items with only 61% to unlock (and a chance to break it).

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Lord of the Fallen: 7/10
Being a fan of dark souls games i really wanted to play this game. It started out great but the more i played the more i got bored of it, the more tedious it got.
In the end i had secrets not discovered and items that i didnt find but i couldnt care less about them, i just wanted to finish the game once and for all
This is what I found.. by the time I got past the second lord I was ready for it to hurry up and end

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Divinity: Original Sin - 10/10
This game is amazing. It isn't flawless, but it's good enough to get 10 points. Co-op, humor, excellent graphics and music, fun combat... We need more of these games. It's like NWN 3.

Project Zomboid - 5/10
Meh? It's a good idea, but it isn't executed well. The UI is awful and the combat is really clunky. It's still in early release, so there's a chance it will get better, but then again Starforge.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003

A smaller scale city builder, where you start a new town with several families and some resources. Cut down trees, mine stone and iron, and construct homes, farms, tailors, and other buildings.

It looks good, and is interesting, but the disaster side is unfinished to say the least. I had a house on fire with a well 10 feet away, and 40 people couldn't put out the fire (ended up burning down my entire town). Good thing you can turn disasters off, because there is literally no way to stop fire.

Wasteland 2 - RPG - 8/10

Turn based RPG set in Nevada and California after nuclear war.

A pretty long game (took me 70 hours to complete), with tons of branching quests which change the game depending on what you do.

Great if you like this kind of game, but not without issues. Only a few weapon categories are actually good, and save-scumming is a part of the game because even at maxed skills like lockpicking, you will still come across locked items with only 61% to unlock (and a chance to break it).

I'm about 20 hours into Wasteland. Loving it. 8/10

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I didn't want to rate wasteland 2 but if I had to it would be 6.5 or 7 out of 10. A caveat is that I played it very early and hit massive bugs once I got out to california; the other issue is combat is too one dimensional (for a game with lots of combat they could use a bit more variance). I'm hopeful that an eventual path will spice up combat and make it more interesting. So why did I post this - I wanted to point out some negatives so people go into the game with fair expectation. Don't get me wrong it is an ok experience but a lot of people won't be blown away by it. Conversely I will point out that they are still working on it and have patched a lot of the bugs I ran into.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
As part of being cheap and only buying highly discounted games, I'm usually playing a game several years after release.

So having said that, I'm about 20 hours into Sacred 2 and absolutely loving it. I'd give it an 8/10.

It's the most complex aRPG I've ever played. It's probably too complex and they do a poor job of explaining things. I had to turn to a community guide for understanding. But now that I do....wow, what a rich rpg system.

I spent a ton of hours on Torchlight and Titans Quest....but I can already tell I like Sacred 2 more.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 7?/10

Just completed it moments ago, and wow was the story awful. It started out interesting enough, story disappeared a bit in the middle of the game, then comes on full force retard mode for the last few hours.
The last choice at the end was silly, I wanted to tell the truth because the people should know what happened, but as far as the final cut scene was concerned, that meant I was pro human and siding with Darrow. Then apparently the "don't interfere and let humanity decide" option, just means killing everyone involved and burying the truth at the bottom of the ocean. Isn't that the most interference possible? Dumb.

I still give it a good score for the gameplay and general world immersion, which is solid enough. I would go higher, but I ran into too many bugs to count, which all showed up as common unfixed bugs on their forum. Also, while I think they had their heart in the right place offering all of the different gameplay approaches, they pretty much ruined the system by encouraging certain styles of play through XP rewards. If I find a password for something, I should get the same bonus as I do for hacking it; if I plow through the front door, I should get the same bonus as I do for sneaking in the back. Unfortunately, that was never the case.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Were the people actually walking to well and to the house as that's what should happen and they will place it out over time.

If on the other hand you had them queued up to do other jobs and they were too far away to get there in time then that was on you. ;)

I never had major fire issues for when they sprung up.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Currently playing 7 Days to Die. Been playing it on & off for the last few weeks. Tried a little bit of Hardline, but couldn't get on their servers yesterday so I gave up. I'm liking 7DtD, don't normally play these types of games, and don't really care much for zombies, but the whole crafting survival thing is kinda fun.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Rome II Total War: "Emperor Edition"-- 8/10

Rome II was thrashed by reviewers upon release (and rightly so), for being a total mess. The EE is a sort of Mea Culpa that fixes the technical bugs and some wonky AI stupidity.
I'm enjoying it. It's lightyears better than at release, and the enemy battle AI is some of the best (mostly) in the series to date. I like a lot of the campaign map tweaks as well, such as provinces over cities, and the way recruiting units is handled as well. But disposing of the excellent family dynasty from the first game was a bad move.
Overall, quite good. I understand people not wanting to give in another try, but it is a vastly improved game now.

NBA 2K15--8.5/10

I've played about a season and a half now as "MyGM" for the 76ers. Having a lot of fun. The depth is astounding, on the court play is the best in the business, of course, and the sheer number of options is incredible.
That being said, MyGM doesn't feel much different from Franchise mode of years past, but now with players whining every other game about practice being too tough or too easy, and being able to spend "tokens" to pacify them like some kind of slot machine. It's fun, but feels phony.
Also worth mentioning is the woeful presentation this year compared to year's past. NBA 2K ALWAYS had some of the best presentation year in year out in sports games. Now, aside from Erine and Shaq (which is good), the complete elimination of a half time show, post game show, or video highlights of ANY kind is really pathetic. Yeah, ok, we get a dozen shots of cheerleaders on the court during T.O.s, but how about some video high lights of some of the great, defining plays up to that point? Inexcusable.

Still the game on the court is what matters and in that area it's still sublime.

Feb 19, 2009
Divinity: Original Sin - 10/10
This game is amazing. It isn't flawless, but it's good enough to get 10 points. Co-op, humor, excellent graphics and music, fun combat... We need more of these games. It's like NWN 3.

I've heard so many good things about it. Definitely gonna grab it now, thanks!

Rome II Total War: "Emperor Edition"-- 8/10

Rome II was thrashed by reviewers upon release (and rightly so), for being a total mess. The EE is a sort of Mea Culpa that fixes the technical bugs and some wonky AI stupidity.
I'm enjoying it. It's lightyears better than at release, and the enemy battle AI is some of the best (mostly) in the series to date. I like a lot of the campaign map tweaks as well, such as provinces over cities, and the way recruiting units is handled as well. But disposing of the excellent family dynasty from the first game was a bad move.
Overall, quite good. I understand people not wanting to give in another try, but it is a vastly improved game now.

I like the TW series but it dropped off ever since Empire/Napoleon. Shogun 2 was the last one I enjoyed. Glad you brought up that Rome 2 is mostly fixed now, another game I've been wanting to get but hesitated due to bad reviews.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: 7/10

I thought this was a gem. More of an interactive story where you discover clues and then piece them together in order to progress. One of the most beautiful environments I've seen in a game. Great job from these guys...I hope they do more.

One Late Night: Deadline: 4/10
This game takes place in an office building after closing hours. You find yourself experiencing some paranormal activity and try to figure out what's going on by reading clues / emails, etc. I really like the idea of this game, but the execution was AWFUL. Runs terrible, looks bad, and the constant mechanic of having to eat something to keep from falling asleep is incredibly annoying. This idea could have made for a great game. Too bad.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha: 5/10
This was the big disappointment of my life. I'm a HUGE S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, and the promise of this game (which I patiently waited YEARS for) was to restore the original scope of Shadow of Chernobyl, based on the original builds that got scrapped due to lack of resources, etc.

The world they created is HUGE. I'll give them credit for putting a lot of effort into it, but it's also a good bit lifeless. The underground labs are massive mazes with very little detail. This game just doesn't convey the amazing bleak environment and character of ShoC. I think this game needs a LOT of editing. A lot of the quests are also disjointed and quite frustrating.

I feel like I'm being hard on it, because the group putting it together must have spent massive hours getting all this stuff going on that old engine, and I don't feel bad for donating to help fund the development. It's impressive for what it is, and I was happy enough to play the whole game through (probably 50-60 hours...I think I spent on it). However, if I had a friend I wanted to introduce to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. world, I would still point him to SHoC. If you have already played the series and you're looking for a fresh take, this is still very much worth playing.

A few screens:

alpha1.jpg

alpha4.jpg

alpha7.jpg

alpha10.jpg

Last edited:

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Great thread...

I have Civ 5 but have yet to start it. I'm a fan of RTS... I really liked AOE2 and Total Annihilation back in the day. I have Homeworld Remastered on order. I also play FPS games, especially Battlefield 4. I'm a retired guy that loves computers and PC gaming since @ 1993.

I am looking for another RTS...

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Endless Legend is awesome. I'm really into it, far moreso than Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm not very good, but I'm learning and its fun. 9/10, only for some performance issues.

Dungeon of the Endless is fantastic as well. 9/10, because it is just a touch too hard in some cases most likely due to the procedural generation.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Great thread...

I have Civ 5 but have yet to start it. I'm a fan of RTS... I really liked AOE2 and Total Annihilation back in the day. I have Homeworld Remastered on order. I also play FPS games, especially Battlefield 4. I'm a retired guy that loves computers and PC gaming since @ 1993.

I am looking for another RTS...

Check out Grey Goo, you might like it.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: 7/10. Entertaining game, but plagued with bad design decisions.

Last edited:

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Divinity: Original Sin - 9/10 I'm really liking this game. The best cRPG that came in years imo. Love having 2 mages in the party and making use of elements' synergy. Protip: Use fire and water on both mages. All schools are useful. Put a few points in each depending on what spells you find more useful and max one of them later.

Dying Light - 9/10 Good game, much better than expected. Top notch graphics and gameplay . Bad thing is the main story doesn't give any choices to make.

Dragon Age Inquisition - 8/10 Good game, just didn't click with me. Got bored after a while.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
^^ yeah, Inquisition is not really doing it for me. I've essentially quit playing. I expect to go back later, but I have not played in a couple of weeks now.

KT

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I've heard so many good things about it. Definitely gonna grab it now, thanks!

Yeah, I totally love it and I hope you will too. I want them to get as much press as possible to show that there's a demand for this type and quality of game.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Apotheon: 6/10. a 2d platformer with a funny combat mechanic. Its not bad but i have a meh face all the time im playing it. Not sure how long i will last

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werevolves: 9/10. Im totally blown away about all the features implemented in this game. Controls are clunky, and the dialogues parts are funny as hell (from how bad the voice acting is and how awkward the characters look) but... man! this game has everything! Its a tower defense game with a HEAVY enfasis on planning before the match and a very active 3rd person movement while the level is playing. I would love to explain everything there is to the game (im at level 9 and im still watching a new tutorial each level) but its so damn huge. You lay traps knowing how the waves are going to be in a strategic top down view of the map. Then, you have to decide which weapon are you going to carry to the level since the enemies are resistant to a particular type of damage. but some of the traps need you to activate them (like shooting at the trap when the enemies pass by) so once the waves start you cant just look at the enemies die and watch out for any problem that might occur (like in a normal tower defense). You need to hurry to different places according to what your strategy is. You also need to fight in a 3rd person view to some of the monsters because the traps wont kill them. the sound you make also distracts the enemies making them forget they objetives and go to you, and you have to take into account the wind since the enemies can also smell you depending on the strenght of the wind and the direction your scent goes. And you are not very good at fighting, you cant take more than 2 of the toughter enemies at the same time.
For real, try that game and forget the clunky controls. Extremely surprised on this one!

Last edited: