Lexus inching closer to producing a superluxury vehicle

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: ajpa123
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: NFS4

1. $70K != $100K.
2. Dick Grasso isn't buying.

That's the point. If Lexus can kick but at $70,000, imagine an all new model at $100,000 instead of the same car with a bigger engine like the "other guys" :roll:

OK, I am trying to imagine. What can they put in it that they don't already have in a $70K LS430, that someone would want to pay $30K for? That's the problem for Lexus. Lexus driver isn't exactly interested in having a 6L V12, because they just want adequately fast cushy ride luxury boat, not a sports saloon. So I don't think they'll find any suckers willing to plunk down extra $30K for an incrimental luxury increase over the already super luxurious LS430. MB buyers are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars for incremental performance increases, but I don't think Lexus customers are. I like the LS430 for what it is, superluxurious A-B transportation. I just don't think there are customers for $100K Lexus to cover the development costs. I just think LS430 has everything a lexus driver wants, and it will be hard for them to convince owners to plunk down $30K more for additional luxury.
Maybe the new $100K model is just a fully loaded LS430 with $30K in cash in the trunk? :D

Wait till you get older and settle down.
There's that 'keeping up with the Jones's' thing.
or the 'buy it cuz it's cool' thing
or 'buy it cuz it's expensive' thing

There's a market for this kinda car. One that we don't quite get because we're not the target audience.. simple. It's not necessarily what's in it. It's how much it is so I can brag to my freind that i bought one. Kinda like mentioning that you just had one of those designer spring waters or $10 expressos that morning.

Yes, but if it's down to bragging rights $100K Benz > $100K Lexus.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
Background: Owner of a 98 Lexus GS400. I bought it new after test-driving a Mercedes C430 couple and bmw 540i.

All i have to say is that all 3 cars are wonderfully engineered and built. I don't think anyone can argue that. When you guyz are ready to buy one of these cars, all you will care about is the one that tickles your fancy when you test drive and not your preconceptions and what your freinds drive/think.

You're probably not going to buy the M5 if the interior makes you sick even if the performance is astounding.. You might settle for the GS because it's more comfortable and has acceptable performance. You won't know until your ready. Some of you guyz need to chill !

There are few cars in the world that are as wonderful as a BMW 540i. I test drove one when I went to get a new car, but I decided that for a commuter car, I couldn't justify the extra 20k over my TL. I still regret buying the Acura. It's had no maintenance problems, no unexpected quirks, and seems well thought out and implemented. I'll say again, it has no soul.

True.. great car, a little front heavy because of the V8 huh.. Actually the 530i has a better front/rear weght distribution for better handling. That's the only compromise you have to give for the 540i. I agree that it handles better than my gs400.. No arguments from me. I also test drove the last-generation M3 also.. a yellow 4 door one.. but it was way too small :(

There has yet to be a 4 door m3. It will be coming out soon as an m4 though... So what are you talking about?

For a german car fanboy, you don't seem very knowledgable on their vehicles.

The E36 M3 was offered in a 4-door sedan variant, also available with an automatic tranny. How do I know? I sat in one. You know what else I learnt about the E36? It has a crappy and plasticky interior.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Most of you bashing the Lexus and praising the S500 obviously has never been in one (the S500 that is).

I am not bashing the Lexus anymore than NFS4 is bashing the MB.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
I hate Asian cars.

then just say that in the first place. why bother entering a discussion with a closed mind?

I'm a conflicted person.

My daily driver.

Dude..I am the same way. I don't necessarily hate asian cars, but I don't appreciate them nearly as much as german cars. I for one am more sick of these asian car fanboys than anything. Still though, Id rather have an Acura or Infiniti than a Lexus, and I dunno why. I like my mom's Highlander though.

It just seems that there are more close minded "jap-car lovers" than the other way around.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003

1. $70K != $100K.

That's the point. If Lexus can kick but at $70,000, imagine an all new model at $100,000 instead of the same car with a bigger engine like the "other guys" :roll:

OK, I am trying to imagine. What can they put in it that they don't already have in a $70K LS430, that someone would want to pay $30K for? That's the problem for Lexus. Lexus driver isn't exactly interested in having a 6L V12, because they just want adequately fast cushy ride luxury boat, not a sports saloon. So I don't think they'll find any suckers willing to plunk down extra $30K for an incrimental luxury increase over the already super luxurious LS430. MB buyers are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars for incremental performance increases, but I don't think Lexus customers are. I like the LS430 for what it is, superluxurious A-B transportation. I just don't think there are customers for $100K Lexus to cover the development costs. I just think LS430 has everything a lexus driver wants, and it will be hard for them to convince owners to plunk down $30K more for additional luxury.
Maybe the new $100K model is just a fully loaded LS430 with $30K in cash in the trunk? :D

There's a market for this kinda car. One that we don't quite get because we're not the target audience.. simple. It's not necessarily what's in it. It's how much it is so I can brag to my freind that i bought one. Kinda like mentioning that you just had one of those designer spring waters or $10 expressos that morning.

I'm in total agreement with you!

Reason: Lexus is a company in its infancy...
Give it a few years and let's see what happens.
:)

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Most of you bashing the Lexus and praising the S500 obviously has never been in one (the S500 that is).

Eh... I don't even know why you guys brought the MB (presumably Maybach) into this conversation, since MB = 3 X $100K

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The E36 M3 was offered in a 4-door sedan variant, also available with an automatic tranny. How do I know? I sat in one. You know what else I learnt about the E36? It has a crappy and plasticky interior.

The man knows his cars.

My E36 has a crappy plasticky interior with horrible ergonomics and the worst stereo imaginable...and it isn't even a Bose!

The new BMWs don't seem much better. The new X3, 5, 7 have this cold, stark, Bauhaus kind of interior. When I sat in them, it felt like I was in a Communist country for some reason.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

Eh... I don't even know why you guys brought the MB (presumably Maybach) into this conversation, since MB = 3 X $100K

MB = Mercedes Benz.

Edit: Maybach is a bit quicker to type, therefore no abbreviation necessary?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

All I said was that Mercedes vehicles built after the previous generation E-Class are far from being the "typical" Mercedes gold standard and below Lexus standards when it comes to fit/finish materials used. And there's no question that Lexus has the better service for its customers.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003

MB = Mercedes Benz.
Then in this case, fcuk a MB, the only MB that's worth my attention is the SL55 (SL500), or SLK600.

Edit: SL-R

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

All I said was that Mercedes vehicles built after the previous generation E-Class are far from being the "typical" Mercedes gold standard and below Lexus standards when it comes to fit/finish materials used. And there's no question that Lexus has the better service for its customers.

That's cool.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Apex

Could be true. But it's more likely simply a case of being a fanboi, much like AMD vs Intel, or nVidia vs ATI. There are certain people who will never be able to appreciate a certain brand of vehicle simply for its origin, regardless of its mix of qualities. Really not that uncommon.

That's true. Like I've said repeatedly, Japanese cars just have no soul. There's no feeling there. They all seem like dressed up Civics. They get you where you want to go, reliably and comfortably, but that's about it.

Like I said, I've never had any problems at all with my Acura. My last few Volvos & a BMW had plenty of problems. My 960 had to have the alternator replaced 4 weeks after it was new. But what a car. Amazingly comfortable, solid, handled like a champ, you never wanted to get out of it. It was truly your car. The little niggling problems are part of the alure, it makes you feel important when you say, "Oh, this bimmer's in the shop, one of those crazy gizmos locked it down while I was on the freeway!" It's part of the character of the car.

I guess it's just hard to explain. And I realize I sound crazy wishing I had a less reliable car.

RX7
350Z
NSX
MR2
Supra
Celica
G35
IS300

No soul??

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003

Could be true. But it's more likely simply a case of being a fanboi, much like AMD vs Intel, or nVidia vs ATI. There are certain people who will never be able to appreciate a certain brand of vehicle simply for its origin, regardless of its mix of qualities. Really not that uncommon.

That's true. Like I've said repeatedly, Japanese cars just have no soul. There's no feeling there. They all seem like dressed up Civics. They get you where you want to go, reliably and comfortably, but that's about it.

Like I said, I've never had any problems at all with my Acura. My last few Volvos & a BMW had plenty of problems. My 960 had to have the alternator replaced 4 weeks after it was new. But what a car. Amazingly comfortable, solid, handled like a champ, you never wanted to get out of it. It was truly your car. The little niggling problems are part of the alure, it makes you feel important when you say, "Oh, this bimmer's in the shop, one of those crazy gizmos locked it down while I was on the freeway!" It's part of the character of the car.

I guess it's just hard to explain. And I realize I sound crazy wishing I had a less reliable car.

RX7
350Z
NSX
MR2
Supra
Celica
G35
IS300

No soul??

Skylines
WRX
EVO
S-14s

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
It just seems that there are more close minded "jap-car lovers" than the other way around.

"japanese-car lovers" By chance, do you like Bill Parcells?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

RX7
350Z
NSX
MR2
Supra
Celica
G35
IS300

No soul??

Skylines
WRX
EVO
S-14s

A few of those listed do have some character. They're just not on par with a European car. I will say that I thought the IS300 and Infiniti G35 were both HUGE leaps forward for their respective manufacturers.

I've owned quite a few European cars, and now I have a japanese car. I'm making my assessment, it doesn't FEEL as good.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Maybe if you bought a V6 Mazda 6 instead of the TL, you'd feel differently.

The TL is basically an Accord which isn't the most exciting of cars.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Maybe if you bought a V6 Mazda 6 instead of the TL, you'd feel differently.

The TL is basically an Accord which isn't the most exciting of cars.

I really do like Mazda. They seem to have some spirit to them. I think they have the best styling of any japanese car company right now. I had a friend w/ a Mazda Protege Mp3, and it was a fun little car, he could really drive it well. But sitting in it and driving it felt just like a Subaru or other "sporty" japanese cars.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003

Then in this case, fcuk a MB, the only MB that's worth my attention is the SL55 (SL500), or SLK600.

Edit: SL-R

What do you have against the 604hp, 738 lb/ft torque twin turbo v12 Mercedes SL65?

SL65 AMG

;)

Hey, with the SL55 as my entry, anything above is of course good for the money. :D

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Shlong

"japanese-car lovers" By chance, do you like Bill Parcells?

Thats why I put it in quotes. Thanks for implying that I am a racist. Wonderful. :roll:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

1. $70K != $100K.

Lexus launched roughly 15 years ago and it has already surpassed BMW and Mercedes and has succeeded in building a better Mercedes than Mercedes.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

1. $70K != $100K.

Lexus launched roughly 15 years ago and it has already surpassed BMW and Mercedes and has succeeded in building a better Mercedes than Mercedes.

Dude, he mean't when it comes to the name, not the car itself. :roll:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

1. $70K != $100K.

Dude, he mean't when it comes to the name, not the car itself. :roll:

Considering that Lexus is already mentioned right alongside BMW and Mercedes as one of the top luxury marques in the America, what are we waiting on?

We people think luxury cars in America, they don't say BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac....they say, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003

RX7
350Z
NSX
MR2
Supra
Celica
G35
IS300

No soul??

Sorry but 350Z, NSX, MR2, Celica, G35 and IS300 have no soul. I either drove or was the passenger in each one of them excep the NSX. But we all know NSX is an overpriced piece of crap, so nothing to discuss there.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XietyCOM

Sorry but 350Z, NSX, MR2, Celica, G35 and IS300 have no soul. I either drove or was the passenger in each one of them excep the NSX. But we all know NSX is an overpriced piece of crap, so nothing to discuss there.

Wow, just wow. That's all you need to say right there. Moving on...