Lexus inching closer to producing a superluxury vehicle

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
A Lexus simply doesn't carry the prestige of a BMW or a Mercedes. Not to mention Asian cars have no soul or feel to them.

fixed :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
$70,000 Luxury Sedans; We test six sedans for those who can plunk down $100,000 and say, 'Keep the change.'

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430
Highs: Gorgeous interior details, whipped-cream ride, silky shifts, rear-seat accouterments to dazzle the most demanding potentate.

Lows: Tires eager to squeal, brakes eager to make big whoa instead of deft modulations, never very involving on the back roads.

The Verdict: The next step up from silk underwear.

If you just walked up and asked, we'd say this is not a Car and Driver sort of car. But like gravity, the Lexus kept pulling on us. It's so confident. It does so many things beautifully. It's like the salesman who never quits, and finally, you find yourself agreeing with him.

"Yeah, why didn't I think of that?"

The Lexus ride is unmatched in this group. There's a switch on the dash that lets you make it a little worse if you must. Go ahead, if more sinew in the suspenders makes you think handling is better.
It's best that you have a light touch on the controls when you hustle. The steering and the brakes are almost delicate in their feel. You must caress them. And when you do, the responses come with precision. Still, this sedan is at its best on the expressway. The steering knows exactly where straight ahead is, and the faster you go, the more it locks onto that heading.

Acceleration is brisk: second best to 60 mph; third in the quarter, at 95 mph, as it showed taillights to three of the four Germans. Yet its fuel economy on our trip tied the Jag's at 21 mpg, topped the Audi's, BMW's, and Benz's by 2 mpg, and bettered the VW's by 4. All that plus the sound of ripping silk when you toe into the power. Oh, yes.

Power, though, is something you take for granted in this class. It's the Lexus interior that keeps amazing. Are pleasure palaces this fine? The Ecru leather is so soft ($1460). The seat is such a perfect shape, and amazingly, it feels that way for every driver. The wood grain is so radiant, so expressive, so intricate and self-illuminating . . . how often must you change the batteries?

Unlike Jaguar, Lexus mounts a full-frontal gizmo attack, particularly with the optional Potentate package ($11,320) that turns the back seat into hedonist heaven. There's a power slider that puts you into recline, heaters and coolers in the cushion, a tingler/tickler somewhere in the backrest to give you that Magic Fingers massage, plus cup holders, window shades, light dimmers, door closers, a refrigerator, your own back-seat air conditioner, and?are you ready??an "optical deodorizer." We forgot to test it! Well, the back seat is just not our promised land.

But if Dick Grasso is buying, yes, thanks, we'll have one in Cypress Pearl, and have his people call our people as soon as it's ready.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: NFS4
$70,000 Luxury Sedans; We test six sedans for those who can plunk down $100,000 and say, 'Keep the change.'

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430
Highs: Gorgeous interior details, whipped-cream ride, silky shifts, rear-seat accouterments to dazzle the most demanding potentate.

Lows: Tires eager to squeal, brakes eager to make big whoa instead of deft modulations, never very involving on the back roads.

If you just walked up and asked, we'd say this is not a Car and Driver sort of car. But like gravity, the Lexus kept pulling on us. It's so confident. It does so many things beautifully. It's like the salesman who never quits, and finally, you find yourself agreeing with him.

The Lexus ride is unmatched in this group. There's a switch on the dash that lets you make it a little worse if you must. Go ahead, if more sinew in the suspenders makes you think handling is better.
It's best that you have a light touch on the controls when you hustle. The steering and the brakes are almost delicate in their feel. You must caress them. And when you do, the responses come with precision. Still, this sedan is at its best on the expressway. The steering knows exactly where straight ahead is, and the faster you go, the more it locks onto that heading.

Acceleration is brisk: second best to 60 mph; third in the quarter, at 95 mph, as it showed taillights to three of the four Germans. Yet its fuel economy on our trip tied the Jag's at 21 mpg, topped the Audi's, BMW's, and Benz's by 2 mpg, and bettered the VW's by 4. All that plus the sound of ripping silk when you toe into the power. Oh, yes.

Power, though, is something you take for granted in this class. It's the Lexus interior that keeps amazing. Are pleasure palaces this fine? The Ecru leather is so soft ($1460). The seat is such a perfect shape, and amazingly, it feels that way for every driver. The wood grain is so radiant, so expressive, so intricate and self-illuminating . . . how often must you change the batteries?

Unlike Jaguar, Lexus mounts a full-frontal gizmo attack, particularly with the optional Potentate package ($11,320) that turns the back seat into hedonist heaven. There's a power slider that puts you into recline, heaters and coolers in the cushion, a tingler/tickler somewhere in the backrest to give you that Magic Fingers massage, plus cup holders, window shades, light dimmers, door closers, a refrigerator, your own back-seat air conditioner, and?are you ready??an "optical deodorizer." We forgot to test it! Well, the back seat is just not our promised land.

But if Dick Grasso is buying, yes, thanks, we'll have one in Cypress Pearl, and have his people call our people as soon as it's ready.

So?

It's one guy's opinion. I dunno about S430 but S500 > Any Lexus out there.

Also, I was looking at the cons for S430: awkward seating position? lol WTF. This guy is worse than Syringer and Skywalker66 combined. Frickin MB has like 12 moving parts on each seat with a ton of pre-defined seating positions. I wonder if he was a 500lbs. fatass? LOL.

Anyways, as someone mentioned above, I don't think Lexus has any soul/feel to it.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XietyCOM

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430

So?

Also, I was looking at the cons for S430: awkward seating position? lol WTF. This guy is worse than Syringer and Skywalker66 combined. Frickin MB has like 12 moving parts on each seat with a ton of pre-defined seating positions. I wonder if he was a 500lbs. fatass? LOL.

Anyways, as someone mentioned above, I don't think Lexus has any soul/feel to it.

The only german sedans with any "feel" to them are Audi and BMW. Mercedes is just as "souless" as Lexus save for the AMG variants.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: XietyCOM

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430

So?

The only german sedans with any "feel" to them are Audi and BMW. Mercedes is just as "souless" as Lexus save for the AMG variants.

Obviously you have never driven one. Take one to a test drive someday, specifically the S500 ;)

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
There was some monster SUV/luxury hybrid lurking around the Triangle Town Center this past weekend. A Q56? Lexus? I dunno. I didn't get a good look at the back end, but it was the size of a small school bus.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
There was some monster SUV/luxury hybrid lurking around the Triangle Town Center this past weekend. A Q56? Lexus? I dunno. I didn't get a good look at the back end, but it was the size of a small school bus.

Infiniti QX56

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430

1. $70K != $100K.
2. Dick Grasso isn't buying.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Who knows if Lexus new offering might be better then the S500? I'll wait & see how it pans out then pass judgement. I think Lexus/Toyota can make a $100K car & make it work.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool

Audi A8L
BMW 745i
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus LS430
Mercedes-Benz S430
Volkswagen Phaeton

#1 Lexus LS430

1. $70K != $100K.
2. Dick Grasso isn't buying.

That's the point. If Lexus can kick but at $70,000, imagine an all new model at $100,000 instead of the same car with a bigger engine like the "other guys" :roll:

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Being a former Lexus owner, I was very impressed with the thought they put into my car (GS300). There were so many little things in the car that usually go unnoticed unless you own one that made it a pleasure to own.

Also being an owner of a BMW, albeit a lowly 325i which may or may not represent the high-end BMWs, I can tell you alot of those things are missing from my car. There are lots of little things to complain about that aren't really detrimental to the car just things that could have been designed better IMO.

I think that is where Lexus excels and that is what their owners appreciate about their cars.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Being a former Lexus owner, I was very impressed with the thought they put into my car (GS300). There were so many little things in the car that usually go unnoticed unless you own one that made it a pleasure to own.

Also being an owner of a BMW, albeit a lowly 325i which may or may not represent the high-end BMWs, I can tell you alot of those things are missing from my car. There are lots of little things to complain about that aren't really detrimental to the car just things that could have been designed better IMO.

I think that is where Lexus excels and that is what their owners appreciate about their cars.

I figured you'd chime in ;)

This is the way I see it. People here are talking about Lexus as if they are Acura. Acura is a little two-bit "luxury" player unlike Lexus.

Toyota has the money and the engineering know-how backed up with fabulous dealers to kick ass at any price point.

And when it comes to customer service, dealer satisfaction etc, who is it that always comes out on top? It sure ain't BMW and Mercedes

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
We know that you love Lexus to the point you would whack off to one (if you haven't already). We get it.

And why am I arguing about cars with someone who doesn't like beer? WTF?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Excelsior
We know that you love Lexus to the point you would whack off to one (if you haven't already). We get it.

What does beer have to do with anything. That's a pretty petty/stupid argument when you can't argue based on facts, customer loyalty, reliability, dealer service, resale value, etc.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

This is the way I see it. People here are talking about Lexus as if they are Acura. Acura is a little two-bit "luxury" player unlike Lexus.

Toyota has the money and the engineering know-how backed up with fabulous dealers to kick ass at any price point.

And when it comes to customer service, dealer satisfaction etc, who is it that always comes out on top? It sure ain't BMW and Mercedes

Haha! NFS4, any chance you get you love to bash Acura. :p

I will admit you are correct though about Acura though the new TL is quite nice. The interior to my MDX looks very similar to my GS but upon closer inspection is really a second rate job. Its a shame the RX330 doesn't come with a 3rd row.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Haha! NFS4, any chance you get you love to bash Acura. :p

I will admit you are correct though about Acura though the new TL is quite nice. The interior to my MDX looks very similar to my GS but upon closer inspection is really a second rate job. Its a shame the RX330 doesn't come with a 3rd row.

Hey, I like Acura. I just think that they need to "kick it up a notch" when it comes to luxury to further distance themselves from Honda.

And the TL is uber nice, but I'd take a 300C for the same money :D

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

What does beer have to do with anything. That's a pretty petty/stupid argument when you can't argue based on facts, customer loyalty, reliability, dealer service, resale value, etc.

I can't because I coudn't care less. I won't be buying any car for a while now.

Beer has to do with it because I don't know many adult males who don't like it..infact I can't think of one.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

Beer has to do with it because I don't know many adult males who don't like it..infact I can't think of one.

I don't like beer.

Maybe its because my dad died an alcoholic. /shrugs.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So is a preference for beer a masculine "checkbox" thing? How shallow are people these days? Maybe I've had extended family members who have abused alcohol, maybe I grew up in my immediate family with parents who didn't drink, maybe I don't like the taste of alcohol, maybe I don't see the appeal.

All true BTW...but that's beside the point. It's a stupid argument.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001

Infiniti QX56

Thanks! Holy crap! That thing is a $70K tank!
And some little girlie was trying to drive it. Somebody has too much money...

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

So is a preference for beer a masculine "checkbox" thing? How shallow are people these days? Maybe I've had extended family members who have abused alcohol, maybe I grew up in my immediate family with parents who didn't drink, maybe I don't like the taste of alcohol, maybe I don't see the appeal.

All true BTW...but that's beside the point. It's a stupid argument.

Yeah, it is, UHH! No, just taking a crack at you. I guess it worked. Its ok, I understand.

I know it is.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Infiniti QX56

Thanks! Holy crap! That thing is a $70K tank!
And some little girlie was trying to drive it. Somebody has too much money...

It's a hideous beast...and it isn't selling too well last time I checked. I wonder why:roll:

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Doggiedog: Could you please elaborate on the little things present in the GS300 that makes it special? I'm not arguing, I want to know...as it shall soon reside in our garage one day.

NFS4: The QX56 is doing pretty well for what Infinti expected. It's sales are increasing every month and its meeting sales target. I personally don't like it, but it must bring a lot of money for Nissan given its a high profit-margin vehicle (well all SUVs are).

And back to the general discussion:
Why not wait to see what the final product is?? Do you guys think Toyota is stupid and would blindingly put out a $100k+ vehicle without any thought and research?? They analyze the industry and market and spend a lot of money and time to make sure they make a wise move.

Everytime they made a major product, they succeeded. They succeeded with the original LS400, they succeeded with the GS-series, with the RX series; all major milestones in the company's history.

They also have the prestige name, not because of the products, no...it's because of their SERVICE. No other marque offers the same customer service that Lexus provides. They are the ultimate no-hassle service. That's key in the $100k market, cause those rich buyers don't take sh!t from some incompetent service dept.

Will Lexus probably sell a lot of those $100k cars? Probably not, but they'll sell enough to set a strong foundation to sell their 2nd gen uber-expensive models...and to build their up their nameplate even more. And I can garuantee that their vehicle will be better than the competition.

As of now, NOT going into that market would be their worst move.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Doggiedog: Could you please elaborate on the little things present in the GS300 that makes it special? I'm not arguing, I want to know...as it shall soon reside in our garage one day.

NFS4: The QX56 is doing pretty well for what Infinti expected. It's sales are increasing every month and its meeting sales target. I personally don't like it, but it must bring a lot of money for Nissan given its a high profit-margin vehicle (well all SUVs are).

And back to the general discussion:
Why not wait to see what the final product is?? Do you guys think Toyota is stupid and would blindingly put out a $100k+ vehicle without any thought and research?? They analyze the industry and market and spend a lot of money and time to make sure they make a wise move.

Everytime they made a major product, they succeeded. They succeeded with the original LS400, they succeeded with the GS-series, with the RX series; all major milestones in the company's history.

They also have the prestige name, not because of the products, no...it's because of their SERVICE. No other marque offers the same customer service that Lexus provides. They are the ultimate no-hassle service. That's key in the $100k market, cause those rich buyers don't take sh!t from some incompetent service dept.

Will Lexus probably sell a lot of those $100k cars? Probably not, but they'll sell enough to set a strong foundation to sell their 2nd gen uber-expensive models...and to build their up their nameplate even more. And I can garuantee that their vehicle will be better than the competition.

As of now, NOT going into that market would be their worst move.

Lexus has had one major folley though, the IS300. It has been a rather poor seller for the company. Althought he next generation model should do more to correct the sins of the father.

As to Lexus being able to sell a $100,000 car.

SC430: $64,000
LX470: $67,000

The next step up is the $100,000 class and Toyota has it in plain site.