Lexus inching closer to producing a superluxury vehicle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: Apex
I don't think they'll sell. Lexi are like Seikos people buy them for the value. People aren't gonna pay Breitling prices for a Seiko. It takes charisma to sell at the $100K pricepoint, and Lexus couldn't find charisma if it hit it across the face.

To be fair, that's very similar what everyone said when Toyota decided to produce the Lexus line in the beginning to compete with Mercedes and BMW.

And to be fair, Lexus LS430 still sells for less than S430 and 745i. It's still a value buy. It's still A-B transportation. At $100K pricepoint you also need image, pedigree, and prestige that Lexus doesn't quite have.

What makes you think that?

The brand has grown in both loyalty and conquest rates over the past three years, according to consumer purchase data tracked by the Power Information Network.

Last year, 44 percent of all Lexus vehicles that were traded were done so to purchase another new Lexus vehicle, the Power data show. That compared with 31 percent in 2002. The figure in the first quarter of 2004 was 48 percent.

What's more, every luxury brand except Saab is seeing a greater percentage of its customers depart to Lexus than they were three years ago, according to Power.

Lexus says it had a conquest rate of nearly 70 percent in the 2003 model year, representing buyers who came to Lexus from another brand. The rate of buyers replacing a Lexus purchased new with another new Lexus was 54 percent in the 2003 model year.
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00064486

http://www.detnews.com/2004/insiders/0401/21/insider-42079.htm

And? What does it have to do with prestige? Are you saying an LS430 is as prestigious as S430? If it was, then why did Toyota copy the last generation S class to design it? A Lexus is just a Toyota pretending to be a Mercedes. It's not gonna cut it at $100K.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think they'll sell. Lexi are like Seikos people buy them for the value. People aren't gonna pay Breitling prices for a Seiko. It takes charisma to sell at the $100K pricepoint, and Lexus couldn't find charisma if it hit it across the face.

To be fair, that's very similar what everyone said when Toyota decided to produce the Lexus line in the beginning to compete with Mercedes and BMW.

And to be fair, Lexus LS430 still sells for less than S430 and 745i. It's still a value buy. It's still A-B transportation. At $100K pricepoint you also need image, pedigree, and prestige that Lexus doesn't quite have.

The brand has grown in both loyalty and conquest rates over the past three years, according to consumer purchase data tracked by the Power Information Network.

Last year, 44 percent of all Lexus vehicles that were traded were done so to purchase another new Lexus vehicle, the Power data show. That compared with 31 percent in 2002. The figure in the first quarter of 2004 was 48 percent.

What's more, every luxury brand except Saab is seeing a greater percentage of its customers depart to Lexus than they were three years ago, according to Power.

Lexus says it had a conquest rate of nearly 70 percent in the 2003 model year, representing buyers who came to Lexus from another brand. The rate of buyers replacing a Lexus purchased new with another new Lexus was 54 percent in the 2003 model year.
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00064486

And? What does it have to do with prestige? Are you saying an LS430 is as prestigious as S430? If it was, then why did Toyota copy the last generation S class to design it? A Lexus is just a Toyota pretending to be a Mercedes. It's not gonna cut it at $100K.

Are you saying that Lexus doesn't have the same prestige as Mercedes or BMW? Last time I checked, the big three in luxury these days in BMW, Mercedes and Lexus with Lexus leading in sales, customer satisfaction, quality, and luxury content.

Only brand whores try to play down Lexus' significance in the luxury landscape.

And do you want to know one of the #1 reasons why Mercedes quality has tanked in the last few years?? Answer: LEXUS!!!

I'll let mad indian explain that one to you :D

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Are you saying that Lexus doesn't have the same prestige as Mercedes or BMW? Last time I checked, the big three in luxury these days in BMW, Mercedes and Lexus with Lexus leading in sales, customer satisfaction, quality, and luxury content.

What do sales numbers have to do with prestige? Is Chevy more prestigious than Ferrari?
Even the guy in the article in the first post says it makes no economic sense. It may be a halo car like the NSX for Acura, but they won't sell many of them. Again, it's comparing Rolex to Seiko. I am sure Seiko customers are plenty satisfied, but so what? If there is room for a higher end Lexus, why doesn't Toyota make an LS600? Or an LS65 TRD to take on the AMG :D
It won't sell.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003

And do you want to know one of the #1 reasons why Mercedes quality has tanked in the last few years?? Answer: LEXUS!!!

Lexus is nowhere near Mercedes-Benz's interior quality.

:thumbsdown:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XietyCOM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you been in recent Mercedes vehicles? The last gold-standard, vault-like Mercedes interior was the last generation E-Class. Everyone of them since then has been hitting the cost-cutting big time. That's one of the areas where Mercedes has fallen down in recent time. In an effort to compete with Lexus and their cost-cutting, Mercedes tried it their way and it has been rather disastrous

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Excelsior
ROFL.

$100,000 for a Lexus?

Won't sell. Sorry Toyota/Lexus fanboys.

Thank you, yes. This would most likely end up like the Phaeton.

Phaeton and VW has absolutely no correlation to Lexus and a $100,000 car.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
I highly doubt that, since people are already paying ~$50-60K for a Lexus nowaday.

But thats sort of like saying "Well people are already paying 40k for a Passat, so I am sure they'll pay 40 more for a Phaeton." Sort of...

I just think that there are better choices at such a price point.

Not even the same thing. People see VW as a common mans' car. VW made the dumb mistake of producing the Phaeton in the first place to take the brand upscale when it already has Audi to take care of that.

Toyota has "Toyota", so they have the commoner part taken care of. Lexus is their luxury marque, so it's easier for them to build a high-buck $100,000 car and get away with it. Face it, most RX330 are selling for $45,000-$50,000 with no incentives. The LS430 STARTS at $55,000 and easily goes to $70,000. The GX470 and LX470 also easily tip in at $50,000+ with options.

$100,000 is not a strech at all for a flagship, especially with $70,000 LS430's running around

They have that many options to add?

I agree it would be easier for them to get away with it, but easier doesn't mean it will work, and I doubt it will. Take a survey of a bunch of wealthy people. Ask them if they were going to spend 100k on a car, which brand would they most likely buy? Id think that Lexus wouldn't be the most popular choice.

Face it, that is still 30k more than the most tricked out LS430. You are a Toyota fanboy, so you deem it acceptable and think that it might work.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
ROFL.

$100,000 for a Lexus?

Phaeton and VW has absolutely no correlation to Lexus and a $100,000 car.

Damnit, it is an example, I even admitted that it is only barely related, but still helps prove the point, the same one as seiko and rolex. I don't care how nice some Lexus' are, I don't think Lexus when I think 100k.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you been in recent Mercedes vehicles? The last gold-standard, vault-like Mercedes interior was the last generation E-Class. Everyone of them since then has been hitting the cost-cutting big time. That's one of the areas where Mercedes has fallen down in recent time. In an effort to compete with Lexus and their cost-cutting, Mercedes tried it their way and it has been rather disastrous

Rode in my dad's 2004 S500 when I was back home, it is elegant. Lexus is nowhere near in comfort/quality/looks :thumbsdown:

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

(not to mention MB reliability :Q)

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
ROFL.

$100,000 for a Lexus?

Yup. Lexus should stick to it's <$60K so-called-luxury models.

fyleow

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2002

People are already paying $20k for Grand Seikos....

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&amp;cat_code=carnews&amp;loc_code=index&amp;content_code=00064486

LOL at the last Top Gear where James and The Hampster were riding in a new SLK and the tranny blew and the power seats and top went ape. And Jeremy drove an SL600 press that was borked from the start.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ROFL.

$100,000 for a Lexus?

LOL, you guys are a trip :p

BMW, Lexus and Mercedes are considered the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when it comes to luxury in the United States...PERIOD.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&amp;cat_code=carnews&amp;loc_code=index&amp;content_code=00064486

LOL at the last Top Gear where James and The Hampster were riding in a new SLK and the tranny blew and the power seats and top went ape. And Jeremy drove an SL600 press that was borked from the start.

And I care why? If i can shell out $100,000 on a car, I'd do so for luxury/comfort. Not so its more reliable than the other luxury brand. Sorry but even Lexus employee says "not Maybach level". MB > Lexus if you want luxury. :thumbsdown:

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm sure there are alot of brand whores that will never buy anything but MB and BMW but if Lexus makes the right car, they can create a market for it.

If they could design a car with a ridiculous amount of power, all the gadgets, creature features and put it in a universally appealing package, I'm sure it will be successful even without patronage from old school MB and BMW customers.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
You opinion will stay the same, Lexus is superior in all aspects. Whatever.

If I was gonna spend 100k on a luxury sedan, Id get an S500.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
A Lexus simply does carry the prestige of a BMW or a Mercedes. Not to mention Asian cars have no soul or feel to them.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
You opinion will stay the same, Lexus is superior in all aspects. Whatever.

If I was gonna spend 100k on a luxury sedan, Id get an S500.

My father did. Its an amazing car. I drove it to the gas station once when I went back home in May. Oh my... I am gonna wet myself, again :eek:

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
ROFL.

$100,000 for a Lexus?

LOL, you guys are a trip :p

BMW, Audi and Mercedes are considered the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when it comes to luxury in the United States...PERIOD.

Fixed that for you :D