Jesus has made my boss lose his mind

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ulfwald
First of all, I don't believe that Jesus made your boss lose his mind. Just the same as Jesus did not command the Pope to launch the crusades. These are choices made by man.

Now, if this man feels he owes his success in life to Jesus, then so be it, and if he wishes to publically acknowledge this by singing, or any other type of verbalization, it is his right. You don't have to listen to it.

If you want proof that God exists, think about this.

You are walking along and see a watch lying in the grass, how did it get there, who created it? Did it just appear out of thin air, no? But all the elements exist in the world for it to exist, so why can't it just be? Did the elements evolve into the watch? The answer is No, someone had to create the watch, bring all the elements together, form them into the pieces of the watch then assemble them into the final product.

Same as with the earth and all that exists on it. All the elements were there, do you think that they all came together as a coincidence? You think all the animals, plants, and other life on this planet just evolved due to happenstance? I don't think so. God had a plan, and it evolved over time, not in years or days as we measure them, but in God's time. The bible says God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days, a day to Him may be 1 million years to us. That would explain the actual age of the earth, why we have fossils, etc.

How can you explain 2 different cultures who tell the same story of the same time frame? Example, Noah from the Jewish Old testament, and Gilgamesh King of Uruk in Babylonia. Both tell of an epic flood, both tell of a selected family to survive and keep animals. Both tell of the vessels settling on a mountain. God does exist, and you have free choice to believe and accept him. I will not force my beliefs on anyone, but do not chastize me when I tell you of them when asked. My freedom of religion and of free speech will not be trampled on by your over senistivity to issues.

Try reading 'A Brief History Of Time' by Stephen Hawking.

Or actually, don't bother. No Jesusfreak has enough brains to understand it.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
First of all, I don't believe that Jesus made your boss lose his mind. Just the same as Jesus did not command the Pope to launch the crusades. These are choices made by man.

Now, if this man feels he owes his success in life to Jesus, then so be it, and if he wishes to publically acknowledge this by singing, or any other type of verbalization, it is his right. You don't have to listen to it.

You are walking along and see a watch lying in the grass, how did it get there, who created it? Did it just appear out of thin air, no? But all the elements exist in the world for it to exist, so why can't it just be? Did the elements evolve into the watch? The answer is No, someone had to create the watch, bring all the elements together, form them into the pieces of the watch then assemble them into the final product.

Same as with the earth and all that exists on it. All the elements were there, do you think that they all came together as a coincidence? You think all the animals, plants, and other life on this planet just evolved due to happenstance? I don't think so. God had a plan, and it evolved over time, not in years or days as we measure them, but in God's time. The bible says God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days, a day to Him may be 1 million years to us. That would explain the actual age of the earth, why we have fossils, etc.

How can you explain 2 different cultures who tell the same story of the same time frame? Example, Noah from the Jewish Old testament, and Gilgamesh King of Uruk in Babylonia. Both tell of an epic flood, both tell of a selected family to survive and keep animals. Both tell of the vessels settling on a mountain. God does exist, and you have free choice to believe and accept him. I will not force my beliefs on anyone, but do not chastize me when I tell you of them when asked. My freedom of religion and of free speech will not be trampled on by your over senistivity to issues.

I can't believe this thread is still going...

I've read "A Brief History of Time" sir, and I found it quite interesting. Dr. Hawking wrote that book in such a way that even a layman with a modest understanding of physics and the capacity to think could understand the theories contained within. I'm a "Jesus Freak". According to you one of my two previous statements must be false. While there's no way for me to prove to you that I've read the book (not over the internet anyway) I think I can safely say I've proven my devotion to Yeshua HaMashiach "Jesus".
Please refrain from making such foolish statements in the future, they don't do anyone any good. It's borderline idiotic for you to say that "all Jesus Freaks are idiots." I'm sure you've heard of C.S. Lewis, Thomas More, Galileo Galilei, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., and Thomas Aquinas (among countless others). Would you say these people were idiots because they were "Jesus Freaks"?
I also find it ironic that you appear to be using "A Brief History of Time" as proof there is no G-d when even Dr. Hawking professes his belief in a "greater power" in said book. Have YOU read this book? Perhaps you just glossed over that part... It was at the end ;)

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

I've read "A Brief History of Time" sir, and I found it quite interesting. Dr. Hawking wrote that book in such a way that even a layman with a modest understanding of physics and the capacity to think could understand the theories contained within. I'm a "Jesus Freak". According to you one of my two previous statements must be false. While there's no way for me to prove to you that I've read the book (not over the internet anyway) I think I can safely say I've proven my devotion to Yeshua HaMashiach "Jesus".
Please refrain from making such foolish statements in the future, they don't do anyone any good. It's borderline idiotic for you to say that "all Jesus Freaks are idiots." I'm sure you've heard of C.S. Lewis, Thomas More, Galileo Galilei, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., and Thomas Aquinas (among countless others). Would you say these people were idiots because they were "Jesus Freaks"?
I also find it ironic that you appear to be using "A Brief History of Time" as proof there is no G-d when even Dr. Hawking professes his belief in a "greater power" in said book. Have YOU read this book? Perhaps you just glossed over that part... It was at the end ;)

And where did he say that the universe was created by a god and was 5k years old?
I also believe we are not the smartest or strongest species around, but that's because I believe in life evolving in multiple starsystems.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

And where did he say that the universe was created by a god and was 5k years old?
I also believe we are not the smartest or strongest species around, but that's because I believe in life evolving in multiple starsystems.

You're missing the point. Stephen Hawking did say in aBHoT that he believes in a higher power that is behind the workings of the universe. I don't see how any logical person can look at the universe and the order that sprang up out of chaos and not believe in a higher power, but that's just my opinion. Think about it like this: one of the major properties of time is the tendency towards chaos or "entropy." As time progresses, the state of the universe becomes more entropic. Stars burn out, rocks erode, living organisms wither away and die. The very nature of the universe suggests that the big bang theory and evolution cannot be true. Systems do not become more orderly over time as is required by the big bang theory and evolution, they become more chaotic.
So then, what's more likely: that the entire universe for some unknown reason defied one of the primary laws of physics for "billions of years" (and continues to do so according to evolution), or that the G-d who created the universe and it's systems did so in accordance with the teachings of the Bible? That, my friends, is the question everyone must answer in order to rationalize their existance.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Why replace the o in God? I know the reasoning behind it, but God's name is not God. "God" is an English word created many years after that commandment was written. Same reason people shouldn't worry about saying "Oh my God". It's not taking his name in vain. Do you spell Lord "L-rd"? God's name is pronounced Yah-Weh, and I don't believe has a proper spelling. The commandment was to prevent people from calling on God (or "using his name") for vain purposes, like praying for the Knicks to win.

I'm a Christian, but always thought that was dumb.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Why replace the o in God? I know the reasoning behind it, but God's name is not God. "God" is an English word created many years after that commandment was written. Same reason people shouldn't worry about saying "Oh my God". It's not taking his name in vain. Do you spell Lord "L-rd"? God's name is pronounced Yah-Weh, and I don't believe has a proper spelling. The commandment was to prevent people from calling on God (or "using his name") for vain purposes, like praying for the Knicks to win.

I'm a Christian, but always thought that was dumb.

You have your beliefs and I have mine. I've stated the reasoning for my beliefs many times in this forum & P&N. It's almost a guarantee I'll get a question/comment regarding them every other day or so... But since you weren't a jerk about it like so many others, I'll gladly explain.
I omit the vowels from the names of G-d out of respect in accordance with Exodus 20:7 "Thou shalt not take the name of the L-rd thy G-d in vain; for the L-rd will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain."
It's due to the structure of the English language and the fact that the Bible was originally translated from Hebrew that I do this. If a word is capitalized, it is a proper noun. Anytime you see the word "G-d" in referrence to Him it is always capitalized, implying a name of G-d. Even though "G-d" isn't specifically thought of as one of His "names", it's due to this peculiarity of English that the word "G-d" becomes one of His names. The same applies to the word "L-rd". Every time you see the word "L-RD" or "L-rd" in the Bible it refers to one of the Hebrew names of G-d, so I also omit the vowels from these words out of respect.
Work for you? :)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: hjo3
Flyermax2k3:
> Yeshua HaMashiach "Jesus"

WTF is a yesha hamasha?

Are you capable of reading English? I assume that you are because you appear to have posted in English... I guess you don't understand what quotation marks mean in that context. Yeshua HaMashiach = Hebrew for Jesus the Christ/Messiah. Of course, if you could read properly you would know this... You even quoted the exact phrase that answers your own question for crying out loud!

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Hebrew isn't English, you uppity turd. If you had been trying to properly convey that Yesha-whatever means Jesus, you should have used parentheses, not quotation marks. Fsckwad.

God, you're problem isn't so much that you're an over-zealous fundamentalist "Christian," as that you're just a rude prick.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Hebrew isn't English, you uppity turd. If you had been trying to properly convey that Yesha-whatever means Jesus, you should have used parentheses, not quotation marks. Fsckwad.

God, you're problem isn't so much that you're an over-zealous fundamentalist "Christian," as that you're just a rude prick.

Your use of obscenities really adds to your argument! I can see that you still can't read (or write) English properly either... I can't help it if you're not familiar with the use of quotation marks to imply another meaning in this context. You don't have to speak Hebrew to understand the previously quoted statement. Once again, the use of quotation marks in that context implies another meaning. Have you ever seen the following phrase: AKA "name"? The statement you quoted has the exact same meaning, just without the TLA "AKA."

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
The TLA "AKA" is used for a reason. If it was automatically implied every time one uses quotation marks, as you've erroneously assumed, it wouldn't be necessary, would it?

Besides, someone who can't even spell "Lord" or "God" correctly probably shouldn't be lecturing people on how to use the English language.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Why is it so hard for religious people to comprehend the world as we know it now coming from a big bang yet have no problem at all of a god existing all along? It's something from nothing in both cases...in fact, since we are not as powerful as god, it would seem as if not having a god is more logical. Of course no religion has even been based on logic.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
The TLA "AKA" is used for a reason. If it was automatically implied every time one uses quotation marks, as you've erroneously assumed, it wouldn't be necessary, would it?

Besides, someone who can't even spell "Lord" or "God" correctly probably shouldn't be lecturing people on how to use the English language.

You still can't read.... Do you know what the phrase "in this context" means? I've stated it several times now...
I've already explained why I spell L-rd and G-d the way I do, apparently you didn't read that either...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: MAME
Why is it so hard for religious people to comprehend the world as we know it now coming from a big bang yet have no problem at all of a god existing all along? It's something from nothing in both cases...in fact, since we are not as powerful as god, it would seem as if not having a god is more logical. Of course no religion has even been based on logic.

If you understand entropy you understand why this is so.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
g--d G-d c-n't w- j-st -cc-pt th-t -th-r p--pl- h-v- d-ff-r-nt b-l--fs th-n -th-rs -nd th-t n- m-tt-r h-w h-rd y-- -rg--, th-y w-ll st-ll h-v- th- s-m- b-l--fs...th-s -s - p--ntl-ss b-ttl-...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: fatbaby
g--d G-d c-n't w- j-st -cc-pt th-t -th-r p--pl- h-v- d-ff-r-nt b-l--fs th-n -th-rs -nd th-t n- m-tt-r h-w h-rd y-- -rg--, th-y w-ll st-ll h-v- th- s-m- b-l--fs...th-s -s - p--ntl-ss b-ttl-...

Is there a point to your mockery or are you just trying to be a smartass? I've already explained my beliefs regarding the removal of vowels from the names of G-d. Mock me all you like, I'm not going to change my beliefs because a bunch of pagans on some intarnet forum mock me for it.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
I understand entropy, this is not what I was referring to. Perhaps this will clear it up:
Where did everything come from?
Well there's really only 2 opinions right now:
1) Matter has always existed
2) God created everything (and has alwasys existed)

Now why is it so easy for religious people to accept #2 yet think #1 is impossible? They are essentially the same exact thing.

And Flyer, just by curiousity, don't you feel bad picking 1 religion and ignoring the other 999?

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: fatbaby

Is there a point to your mockery or are you just trying to be a smartass? I've already explained my beliefs regarding the removal of vowels from the names of G-d. Mock me all you like, I'm not going to change my beliefs because a bunch of pagans on some intarnet forum mock me for it.

-'m n-t m-ck-ng y--, -'m j-st s-y-ng th-t -ll th-s r-l-g--s/-nt- r-l-g--s bs s-lv-s n-th-ng...

- n-v-r t-ld y-- t- ch-ng- y--r b-l--fs.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: MAME
I understand entropy, this is not what I was referring to. Perhaps this will clear it up:
Where did everything come from?
Well there's really only 2 opinions right now:
1) Matter has always existed
2) God created everything (and has alwasys existed)

Now why is it so easy for religious people to accept #2 yet think #1 is impossible? They are essentially the same exact thing.

And Flyer, just by curiousity, don't you feel bad picking 1 religion and ignoring the other 999?

Not at all. I have had "religious experiences" which have lead me back to my faith. I am 100% confident that I have chosen the right faith.
Once again entropy is the key IMHO. The tendency of the universe is towards chaos. Why would the universe do the exact opposite for "billions of years" without outside interference? If the big bang theory is correct, then entropy would have to be false. Entropy is an observed occurence and is a function of time within the time-space continuum. What's more likely: that something we can observe and with almost 100% certainty know to be true or a theory which cannot be proven by science because the original event can neither be observed nor reproduced? I'm gonna stick with option a ;)

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Just cause he doesn't read his own 'holy book' doesn't mean you guys have to be so harsh on him all the time. Pity him for thinking the Jews are wrong in following the rules/laws of the OT, about which Jesus said he had not come to change them, but to enforce them. Everyone knows that means that Christians can do whatever the hell they want to do, rather than following the laws Jesus followed.

And why is it so hard to understand the 'in vain' part? Should the Bible to your opinion refrain from ever writing out a title of god? Is the use of a full title like 'lord' in the Bible using his name in vain? Do you mock him with that? If not, why do you claim anything else you say with his name in it will mock him? (Unless you don't really believe of course)
Can you mock Jesus by using his full name instead?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Well DAMN. I go away for a day and Flyermax2K3 hijacks my thread for his own preaching purposes. I see most of you are doing a good job of occupying his obviously grand amount of spare time though. :)

I think I'll rename my thread to "Flyermax2k3's Personal Pulpit of Purposely Vowel-less God References and Inane Arguments Citing Ridiculously Obscure Bible Passages That Even God Doesn't Remember Writing."
rolleye.gif

Carry on. This is amusing as hell.

Oh, BTW.

Lord. God. Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.Lord. God.

*Flyermax2k3 covers ears and pours sanitizing holy water in his eyes to cleanse them of the horrid, evil sight of "G_d's name taken in vain"
rolleye.gif
x infinity

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Flyermax2k3-- geez man you need to let go. Fighting with everyone on this forum is pointless. Go get drunk like you did a few days ago. I'm sure G-d has no problem with that
rolleye.gif

l2c

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: luv2chill
Flyermax2k3-- geez man you need to let go. Fighting with everyone on this forum is pointless. Go get drunk like you did a few days ago. I'm sure G-d has no problem with that
rolleye.gif

l2c

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. For some reason I don't think you're without sin so what gives you the right to criticize and condemn me?