Jesus has made my boss lose his mind

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Jennie
Religion is the opium of the masses.

Just punch him in the face and tell him that Jeeeeeeeezuz told you to do so. He will be happy and bleeding instead of happy and singing, a clear improvement if you ask me.

Forgive me though, i am a woman, and according to god i should just shut up and please my man.

Damn Skippy!!

:p

:D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

"It's in the Bible I have here that one should not preach and one is not damned for even marrying one who is not of like faith."
I still don't see any Biblical proof in what you've posted to back this statement up. I don't have time to respond to your post on a point-by-point basis since I have to leave for school in about 2 minutes, but I may in between school and work later this afternoon.

Are you reading my posts? I said I couldn't find a reference to the non-preaching parts...it's something to the effect of 'yeah it's ok to preach, but don't judge and don't start quarrels over it". The marrying part I forgot to address....

I know in Esther they talk of where believers marrying non-believers is part of God's plan.

1 Cor 7:14, 'For the unbelieving husband is made acceptable to God being united to his wife, and the un-believing wife is made acceptable to God by being united to her husband. If this were not so, their children would be like pagan children, but as it is, they are acceptable to God.' It goes on about it too.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst

"It's in the Bible I have here that one should not preach and one is not damned for even marrying one who is not of like faith."
I still don't see any Biblical proof in what you've posted to back this statement up. I don't have time to respond to your post on a point-by-point basis since I have to leave for school in about 2 minutes, but I may in between school and work later this afternoon.

Are you reading my posts? I said I couldn't find a reference to the non-preaching parts...it's something to the effect of 'yeah it's ok to preach, but don't judge and don't start quarrels over it". The marrying part I forgot to address....

I know in Esther they talk of where believers marrying non-believers is part of God's plan.

1 Cor 7:14, 'For the unbelieving husband is made acceptable to God being united to his wife, and the un-believing wife is made acceptable to God by being united to her husband. If this were not so, their children would be like pagan children, but as it is, they are acceptable to God.' It goes on about it too.

Hmmm, i'm not sure how you get that out of that scripture. it says both the man and wife are un-believing in the reference you just made (I'll look it up in the bible in just a second). However, David says 'As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' It does not say only half of his house.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Well, you've clarified what forced mean, may be now you should look up "ignurd" as well.

Have you ever gotten your ass whooped by your dad? (may be you should) When he talks, do you listen? Even if its BS, but when your dad told you to listen, he didn't wring your neck or hold a knife to your throat, and you will listen (or don't you?). It's call "authoritah" and if you don't recognize the "autoritah", retribution is likely to be swift and painful. So FORCED is a right word to use. Not in sense of threaten by violent but otherwise could be detrimental to his career. If you're doing something you don't like, and have to do it, it's FORCED by any definition.

I highly doubt a Christian man such as the one in question would fire or take other punitive action against the original poster for expressing his discomfort in this situation. If he did, then he wouldn't have the patience and understanding of a true Christian. There's really only one way to find out though, and that's to actually talk to his boss. Until then, everything stated on both sides of the argument is pure speculation.

Ummm... people that proclaim themselves to be "Christian" have done just as much fscked up stuff as everyone else, and I have not seen people's proclaimation of "being Christian" to equate to them being above petty stuff like that.

Think about it, like most every other religion I can think of ATM, Christianity has been used as a reason to do some pretty evil sh!t.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TravisT

Hmmm, i'm not sure how you get that out of that scripture. it says both the man and wife are un-believing in the reference you just made (I'll look it up in the bible in just a second). However, David says 'As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' It does not say only half of his house.

There is two parts to it...as any Bible verse the wording and grammar is a little wierd (although the original text would be undecypherable to most).

Part 1: For the unbelieving husband is made acceptable to God being united to his wife.

Part 2: the un-believing wife is made acceptable to God by being united to her husband.

notice the distinction made unbelieving husband and wife, not unbelieving husband and unbelieving wife...

You have to read or know the rest of that chapter so you get the context. Same way in the PC boards when someone talks about a 1.5GHz Tualatin....we know it was never made, but we also know there is overclocking done. No one explains the whole process each time.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: TravisT I didn't say he needed to read his mind. But in no way has he ever been FORCED to listen to him as he is putting on. Lets pull out the dictionary since you don't seem to understand what 'force' means.... Force - violence, compulsion, or constraint exerted upon or against a person or thing. Did his boss use violence to hold him there? No. Did his boss use a form of compulsion to hold him there? No. Did his boss use a form of constraint to hold him there? No. Therefore, his boss did nothing other than sing in public and it just so happened his employee was with him when he did it. Heaven forbid someone sing in public....
Well, you've clarified what forced mean, may be now you should look up "ignurd" as well. Have you ever gotten your ass whooped by your dad? (may be you should) When he talks, do you listen? Even if its BS, but when your dad told you to listen, he didn't wring your neck or hold a knife to your throat, and you will listen (or don't you?). It's call "authoritah" and if you don't recognize the "autoritah", retribution is likely to be swift and painful. So FORCED is a right word to use. Not in sense of threaten by violent but otherwise could be detrimental to his career. If you're doing something you don't like, and have to do it, it's FORCED by any definition.
I highly doubt a Christian man such as the one in question would fire or take other punitive action against the original poster for expressing his discomfort in this situation. If he did, then he wouldn't have the patience and understanding of a true Christian. There's really only one way to find out though, and that's to actually talk to his boss. Until then, everything stated on both sides of the argument is pure speculation.

Byeatch.... Please.... they would tell me that I would go to hell if I am not "blessed", what make you think that I won't get fired?

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: TravisT

There is two parts to it...as any Bible verse the wording and grammar is a little wierd (although the original text would be undecypherable to most).

Part 1: For the unbelieving husband is made acceptable to God being united to his wife.

Part 2: the un-believing wife is made acceptable to God by being united to her husband.

notice the distinction made unbelieving husband and wife, not unbelieving husband and unbelieving wife...

You have to read or know the rest of that chapter so you get the context. Same way in the PC boards when someone talks about a 1.5GHz Tualatin....we know it was never made, but we also know there is overclocking done. No one explains the whole process each time.

I will read the chapter, i'm still a bit confused in all honesty of where you are going / went with this though. :)

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: TravisT I didn't say he needed to read his mind. But in no way has he ever been FORCED to listen to him as he is putting on. Lets pull out the dictionary since you don't seem to understand what 'force' means.... Force - violence, compulsion, or constraint exerted upon or against a person or thing. Did his boss use violence to hold him there? No. Did his boss use a form of compulsion to hold him there? No. Did his boss use a form of constraint to hold him there? No. Therefore, his boss did nothing other than sing in public and it just so happened his employee was with him when he did it. Heaven forbid someone sing in public....
Well, you've clarified what forced mean, may be now you should look up "ignurd" as well. Have you ever gotten your ass whooped by your dad? (may be you should) When he talks, do you listen? Even if its BS, but when your dad told you to listen, he didn't wring your neck or hold a knife to your throat, and you will listen (or don't you?). It's call "authoritah" and if you don't recognize the "autoritah", retribution is likely to be swift and painful. So FORCED is a right word to use. Not in sense of threaten by violent but otherwise could be detrimental to his career. If you're doing something you don't like, and have to do it, it's FORCED by any definition.

Byeatch.... Please.... they would tell me that I would go to hell if I am not "blessed", what make you think that I won't get fired?

Then take him to court? In all honesty, I don't see how this is such a big issue. The man was singing, nothing else. The difference between him and my father is that when i was younger I knew if i was in trouble. He would let me know that I was about get my butt whooped. Here, you don't know for a fact that the employer would do anything other than say 'OK' when he was asked to stop.

So no, he was not forced, he has no basis to think that he was aside from him having a bigger name than him at the place he works.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am glad to see that this your only problem!

You can just tell him that you don't feel comfortable when he does things like that and that should do it.

When you have a Boss that doesn't appriciate you, lies to you and gives you a bad review without your fault... then come back and whine some more. Till then... sing a praise... do a dance... that you are blessed with a good boss, that although somehow anoying at least won't backstab you!

AssassyN

Jun 4, 2003
I'm a Christian myself, but a huge part of being a Christian is respecting other's beliefs, even if they differ from you own. However, I wouldn't condone his "loud singing" at all...I'd nicely ask him to please refrain from "forcing" his beliefs upon anyone else as he did by loudly singing in a public area.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
This thread is nuts!. I think you should sit down and talk to your boss/friend and just plain be honest with him.

"Hey boss, I've got nothing against your choice of religious beliefs, but it makes me uncomfortable when you include me in a public spectacle of those beliefs".

Say something like that, hopefully you won't have any problems, and if you keep it respectful to your boss, I think he'll be respectful towards you.

mbeach

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: classy Its amazing, people can curse and swear anywhere and its ok. People can say almost anything and people run to say its free speech and quote the constitution. But the minute someone publicly acknowledges Christ all the seriously unregenerated and blind idiots start crying you can't do that.
rolleye.gif
If the Hugh Hefners, foul music artists, and the like can speak publicly and no one get all upset then the same should be for those who speak publicly of Christ. If you was embarrarassed get up and move, if you don't like hearing the thanks given, leave or change the channel. But this is America jack and free speech is for all.

...Actually they tend to ignorantly misquote the constitution. Believe it or not, The constitution of the United States of America guarantees this mans right to sing praise to God publicly whether in church or at a restaurant without having to worry about being persecuted by you or anyone else MichaelD.

Article 1 of the Bill of Rights (commonly known as the "First Amendment") reads :

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Notice that it reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" not "Congress shall make no law respecting religion".

• Notice also that "Congress shall make no law... prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

• Notice also that absolutely nowhere in Article 1 (or anywhere else in the Constitution) does the concept of separation of church and state appear.

What it all boils to as far you are concerned is this: You are one of the most fortunate (blessed) people ever to have lived because you live in free society. This means that if you prefer not be exposed to your your bosses praises to his God then you are free to leave him alone and go somewhere that you find more comfortable.

Man, I love this country!

mbeach

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHireNotice that you suck at the FuseTalk.

- M4H

Notice you can read, But do you have the slightest understanding of what you read?

Never mind. I see you're from Canada, where your judicial system has ruled the Bible as "hate speech". Tell it to the hand.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: mbeach

- M4H

Notice you can read, But do you have the slightest understanding of what you read?

Never mind. I see you're from Canada, where your judicial system has ruled the Bible as "hate speech". Tell it to the hand.

OH MY GAWD, Like, What-EVER! *snaps fingers*
Don't go there girlfriend!

- M4H

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

- M4H

Hmmm....it appears the "Introduce the Mentally Handicapped to the Wonders of the Internet" program that brought us Wduckdong is still alive and kicking. Must be all that Faith-Based Initiative money or something. :confused:

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
LOL i've only read pages 1 and 12 and this is one of the funniest threads ive come across in a long time...

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
All this bible-quoting is making me queasy. :disgust: People who place their entire faith on a book are seriously nuts anyway. The bible is a collection of folklore stories pieced together over the years, nothing more.

Keep on quoting; I like watching you guys argue over what He really meant in Corinthians 1:4:5.3./34 vs. Pslams 53:3.2.8.*$34

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

- M4H

The question is "who are you really mbeach?"

the constitution also concerns laws...that is a matter of individual and government, quite often individual and society greatly differ. A law does not give you a right to rock the boat always.

whaleskinrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: hjo3
> Schrödinger is turning in his grave right now.

Or is he? We can't know until we open the box. Theoretically, he's simultaenously turning and not-turning, right?

:p

but if God sees everything then that consciousness will make the wave function collapse :p