Intel Comet Lake Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Seems a bit fishy due to the spoofed email address and it's a new source. But it would make sense.

Sunny would be weird since even the mobile version would be released around/after Tigerlake is. And also, a Sunny core is 6.91 mm2 on 10 nm so a 10 core 14 nm die would start to get really big.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sunny would be weird since even the mobile version would be released around/after Tigerlake is. And also, a Sunny core is 6.91 mm2 on 10 nm so a 10 core 14 nm die would start to get really big.

Definitely. Willow Cove would (presumably) be even bigger. Intel is all about that advanced packaging tech, though. If they could figure out the thermals, they could stack some chips or, you know, something something Foveros EMIB <insertbuzzwordhere> I don't know.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Sunnycove was initially on 14nm. If it is in Rocketlake it won't have AVX512.

I think Cometlake-S will have Tigerlake-S(10nm++(1274.12)) on the same(LGAxxxxv1) platform: PCIe3/USB3.2 platform. With Rocketlake-S and Alderlake-S(10nm+++(1274.1y)) will be on the second(LGAxxxxv2) platform: PCIe4/USB4 platform.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you were hoping that Comet Lake Pentium would be 4C4T, doesn't look like it.
A bit disappointing to me to be to be sure. An $60-80 4C/8T 4.1Ghz with 4.5Ghz 1C turbo, would have made a decent little "budget gamer" base chip. Maybe even un-throne the Ryzen R5 3500 (or 3500, or 3500X, if those even ever show up in the USA).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Comet Lake U Pentium and Celeron announced. Stingy Intel didn't even give the Pentium a turbo boost so the gap is so wide between it (2.4) and the i3 (which can boost to 3.7 on both cores and 4.1 on one). Talk about Trash bin chips.
I dont't even know why they both to go to such R&D lengths / expenses, if they're just going to turn around and heavily gimp the chips before they make it to market. I mean, really Intel???.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I dont't even know why they both to go to such R&D lengths / expenses, if they're just going to turn around and heavily gimp the chips before they make it to market. I mean, really Intel???.

I imagine it's exclusively chips that wouldn't pass the 10100U specs. But it does feel really stingy.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

It shouldn't cost them much, if anything. They design their chips with it in mind. Most of features such as VT, AVX, and HT can be fused off. Clock doesn't even have to be binned anymore since its multiplier locked on the non-K chips. It'll be even easier for the Pentium and Celerons to pass working/not working since you can set the frequency so low.

Sometimes the particular market demands the chip so manufacturers are forced to disable cores just to cater to them. Now Intel seems flexible enough that they can simply cut cores in design and quickly make a new mask with smaller dies. At one point they had 6-7 different dies for the Atoms, and it was more than 5 years ago. If they were individually designing them they would never be able to do that.

So making a new die isn't difficult as long as its based off a common design. You just cut cores/caches out. It's same with their Gen graphics. Every year they talk about modularity. Ring/Mesh has to do with this as well. Crossbar interconnections used in older chips like the Nehalem was not conducive to adding/deleting cores.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So making a new die isn't difficult as long as its based off a common design. You just cut cores/caches out. It's same with their Gen graphics. Every year they talk about modularity. Ring/Mesh has to do with this as well. Crossbar interconnections used in older chips like the Nehalem was not conducive to adding/deleting cores.
That's a benefit to the Ring/Mesh that I hadn't really considered before, such as core/design modularity, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's not a dual core native design - There's obviously a 6 core die, and I believe there might be a native quad core too, and the Celeron and Pentium are just the defective ones where only 2 cores work.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
That list is more of a guess than anything else. TDP for K is 125 W and it obviously wasn't released in Sept 2019.
Apparently, the September date has to do with when engineering samples were released into the wild.