I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Played a bit of the server slam on pc. I previously tried Diablo 3 on PS5 but the necromancer voices are completely broken in that game and they never got fixed.

Tried the same character on pc and I immediately am put off by the controls. Clicking everywhere with the mouse is annoying unless you just want to hold and drag the mouse.

I keep hitting keys on the keyboard during combat and this brings up random menus. As for the gameplay it's more of the same. Seems like it could be fun with people to play. Nicer graphics are a decent touch.

For some reason in this version I can't get full screen and anytime I don't touch the mouse my screen saver comes on as I have it set to be enabled if there is no activity after a minute.
I struggled using mouse and keyboard when I first tried Diablo 4 beta, and went to controller and never looked back. It's so much easier and more fluid. I think its more me getting older than anything else, as there are few other game that I find much more enjoyable on controller now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I struggled using mouse and keyboard when I first tried Diablo 4 beta, and went to controller and never looked back. It's so much easier and more fluid. I think its more me getting older than anything else, as there are few other game that I find much more enjoyable on controller now.

I also use controller more and more these days, but I think more games are just designed with that in mind, the bigger titles all pretty much being ported from console now. Even Diablo probably makes sense. I played Warhammer:Inquisitor a year or two ago, which I enjoyed quite a bit and after switching to a controller for it, found that it worked much better with the skill rotation (but like it and DIablo and such games: Grim Dawn etc, I just don't play them that long anymore and just get bored with the mechanics).

The rare FPS I play is still KBM, only, but I've played Witcher 3 all the way through with both--KBM is fine and works perfectly well, but it's clearly designed around a controller, like any of those actiony adventure games.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
...but I think more games are just designed with that in mind, the bigger titles all pretty much being ported from console now. Even Diablo probably makes sense. ....

You are correct, but I think there is more to it than that. Diablo 3 PC had no controller support for PC (and still doesn't), but when they ported it to console they added in a dodge/evade mechanic exclusive to console version of D3. For Diablo 4, they finally included controller support on PC, but they also really seemed to like the evade mechanic from Diablo 3 console, so that is now standard and bound to the spacebar. I struggled with using dodge on the space bar for D4, but using controller was fairly intuitive to me so I switched. Plus as you mentioned, the six skill rotation works farily well on controller (and I kept fat fingering the number keys also...)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
They turned Diablo4 into Lost Ark.
It feels and handles like Lost Ark, only with world bosses.

I guess its more Guild Wars 2, with dungeons spread about.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I also use controller more and more these days, but I think more games are just designed with that in mind, the bigger titles all pretty much being ported from console now. Even Diablo probably makes sense. I played Warhammer:Inquisitor a year or two ago, which I enjoyed quite a bit and after switching to a controller for it, found that it worked much better with the skill rotation (but like it and DIablo and such games: Grim Dawn etc, I just don't play them that long anymore and just get bored with the mechanics).

The rare FPS I play is still KBM, only, but I've played Witcher 3 all the way through with both--KBM is fine and works perfectly well, but it's clearly designed around a controller, like any of those actiony adventure games.
Yea Zinister v2.0. So happy I bought myself an Xbox controller.

I'll go far as to say, if you're a PC gamer, you must also have a controller to enjoy these AAA titles across the platforms that were designed with the controller in mind first.

Elden Ring with KBM is an insult. Same goes for Spiderman or Batman games.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I played some of the slam and i liked it actually, switched from kbm/xbox controller and back a couple of times with no issues in game....

i saw this and i just lol'd - Dying in PvP on a hardcore character is permadeath.

- Pre-download starts May 30th 4 pm PST/7 pm EST.

- Some people were confused as to whether capstone dungeons were solo only, but he confirmed that all dungeons are able to be done with a party. But, capstone dungeons do not scale and have fixed levels.

- Frozen enemies do count as chilled.

- Bosses do become more resistant to stagger after each time they are staggered, but they can't become immune to stagger.

- Damage resistance and elemental resistance that is added to enemies as part of Torment can get up to 75%, but they will never be totally immune to a specific form of damage just from the passive effect of Torment difficulty.

- If you choose to skip campaign on a new character you can't go back and reenable the campaign.

- Teleport and leap will have longer range/fix issues with them sometimes having shorter range on consoles.

- Necromancer will be receiving some additional summon balancing before launch.

- Yes, you can still buy the battle pass for the first season even if you didn't buy the deluxe edition of the game.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
- Teleport and leap will have longer range/fix issues with them sometimes having shorter range on consoles.

#$@#%^ you have no idea how much i hate teleport on a ultrawide screen.

Being limited physically and not by the game on the vertical distance blows.
I have to make sure i teleport when my ultrawide screen has the max distance when running or speed traveling, or i waste a teleport because i can't click past the range of what it does on a ultra wide when teleporting up.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
D4 currently has an 89 on opencritic.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
D4 currently has an 89 on opencritic.

Video game reviews by critics are a joke. Pretty sure almost all of them are paid for. Not to mention diablo 3 got amazing reviews by critics and while I thought it was a decent game and was pretty fun for a while a good portion of diablo 1 and 2 players hated it.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Everyone I know who has pre-ordered D4 is going WW Barbarian it seems.

Nope... going to use Chain lighting with fireball enchantment up to about lvl25ish i think...
Then Change to Firewall + Hydra + Firewall enchant (for boss kills)
Then going to change over to the more OP skills as i have more skill points to invest.

But fireball enchant was still broken as hell the last beta.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
n4qtlr1xod3b1.webp

The King is back

• Haha
Reactions: Igo69 and Ranulf

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Launch is in 5 hours as is write this.
Whoever is playing and wants to party up lets tag our battlenet tag.

Mine is: Naekuh#1457

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
UGH server slam....

Welcome to queues....
Im seeing them on a head start, i hate to imagine on actual launch day.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
UGH server slam....

Welcome to queues....
Im seeing them on a head start, i hate to imagine on actual launch day.

I had a 30s wait just to log into battle.net 30mins ago. Decided I would skip playing anything on battle.net tonight. Good luck to those playing D4.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
I had a 30s wait just to log into battle.net 30mins ago. Decided I would skip playing anything on battle.net tonight. Good luck to those playing D4.

It wasn't that bad, though it was looking grim at the start. Starting right at 7, had to wait 15 to 20 minutes just to log into battle.net (it was actually 15, then I got autologged off due to time out, but it wasn't long after I logged back in second time that I got in), then from there it was like a 3? minute in another queue to get into D4. But from then on I played non stop with no major issues until midnight est. About the only issue I saw was the rubberbanding lag effect that was present during the Beta. It wasn't game breaking and happened occasionally, but it still persists.

Reactions: Ranulf

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I actually logged in with no issues 2 minutes ahead of the launch, played for an hour with no issues then went to bed. Some Playstation/Xbox users just couldn't log in at all apparently though.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I dunno about you guys but when i tried to log in at around 7:15 i had a 3 minute queue and i was in....no issues this morning, really like it so far , playing a Landslide Druid and it works well with a controller

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Most reports i am seeing are showing only minor issues. Looks like a pretty good launch so far. Of course I am way too cheap to pay for early access to find out for myself, see you all next week. :)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
yeah i can confirm the queues pretty much died down after 9pm.
It was pretty easy to log in and out after that.

I think they slowly opened the flood gates, so people didnt hammer the login servers and wreck it for CoD people.
Which i remember seeing a lot of CoD people complaining.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm trying to find someone on Reddit /r/steamgameswap who is selling a key they don't want. You can usually get games people don't want for cheaper there. Unfortunately their sign up process is broken for verifying your reddit and steam account so it's a matter of direct messagig those who post they have the game and don't want it which makes you look like a scammer lol.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Some good early info

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I'm trying to find someone on Reddit /r/steamgameswap who is selling a key they don't want.
Just be careful. The only keys I'm aware of (assuming you are playing on PC) are the ones that came with certain RTX cards. Those keys require said RTX cards in order to redeem. So if you don't have one of those cards, save your money and buy from Blizzard.