I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm totally on the fence now with D4. The game is just so broken and they don't seem to care about fixing it quickly. Being a long time POE player the thing I dig about D4 over POE is the story. IMO it was done much better but I look forward to POE2 while I quickly lose interest in the D4 dev team.
Define broken.

I am enjoying playing through the campaign. My biggest complaint is the issues associated with always-online gameplay (see button delay bug).

If I were just playing offline, that would make it way better.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
D2 Lord of Destruction was the last game my friends and I played through co-op from start to finish (Acts 1-5) and what a helluva ride that was. D3 was more a hodgepodge of work buddies and randos hopping in and out of games, whole thing was kinda a goofy mess and I dropped it.

D4... well only way I'm playing it is if the battlechest comes to Steam with a bunch of the pay to win crap taken out for $10... so probably never.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
D2 Lord of Destruction was the last game my friends and I played through co-op from start to finish (Acts 1-5) and what a helluva ride that was. D3 was more a hodgepodge of work buddies and randos hopping in and out of games, whole thing was kinda a goofy mess and I dropped it.

D4... well only way I'm playing it is if the battlechest comes to Steam with a bunch of the pay to win crap taken out for $10... so probably never.

sounds like the primary issue is that one game was 20+ years ago....when you and friends were younger and had endless time to focus on a video game. Now, life.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

There is zero P2W in D4, it is all cosmetics. I personally DGAF about cosmetic MT. There is a lot of customization in the base D4 already. More than D2 if I am remembering correctly (never played D3).

I got to ~lvl 55 in season 0. I am currently at lvl 45 on season 1 (I would have gotten to higher lvls if I had more time). I am still enjoying it. Will most likely eventually treat it like I do PoE. If the new season mechanics are fun I will play a new character, if not I will skip it. The season 1 mechanic is really pretty bland, basically just new mob modifiers and new type of gem. For context I consider about 80+% of PoE season mechanics to be pretty bland also.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Define broken.

I am enjoying playing through the campaign. My biggest complaint is the issues associated with always-online gameplay (see button delay bug).

If I were just playing offline, that would make it way better.
I enjoyed the campaign as well! I absolutely enjoyed the story. The visuals are great, the sound is great, I like this game. But there are issues with it and I don't like what the devs are doing to slow us players down either. I hate all the nerfs. It seems like they are doing their best to make the game less fun. That said, I am still playing each day. I keep hoping they fix the current issues and reverse some of the nerfs.

Some things that are broken: (this list is most likely bigger if you talk to others.)

Game crashes for many people. It's pretty bad and pretty random. My buddy crashes on a regular basis and when in the middle of a big battle or just before completing a quest, then to just have it crash...its rage time for him.

Broken skills. (skills that either are broken or don't do what they are supposed to.)

Resistance system isn't working

Enemies can target you and hit you from off screen

some quests and dungeons that are bugged and can't be completed. Bosses that die but don't despawn and just stand there not allowing us to finish dungeon.

Enemies being able to CC you back to back to back to back, making it impossible to survive. You might be able to get out of two or three CC attempts but as they continue to CC, you are pretty much screwed.

I'm at work right now so this list is just what I can think of at the moment.

Keep in mind, I have enjoyed this game but I expect more from a dev team selling a game for $69.99. They need to do better and I hope they do.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
While the nerfs in 1.1.0 were unpleasant, I do agree that they were necessary. Already, there were players that were doing insane amounts of damage and able to facetank just about anything the game could throw at them. Players that could single-handedly melt a world boss solo in seconds. The only alternative would be do follow D3's ridiculous path of ever increasing numbers of difficulty levels. Twenty difficulty levels in a game is insane, and indicates a broken game system.

Even now, post-nerfs, some people are already calling for WT5. And things will get worse and new expansions add more power to the player. So while it does suck to go backwards, sometimes it's necessary to maintain balance in the game.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
While the nerfs in 1.1.0 were unpleasant, I do agree that they were necessary. Already, there were players that were doing insane amounts of damage and able to facetank just about anything the game could throw at them. Players that could single-handedly melt a world boss solo in seconds. The only alternative would be do follow D3's ridiculous path of ever increasing numbers of difficulty levels. Twenty difficulty levels in a game is insane, and indicates a broken game system.

Even now, post-nerfs, some people are already calling for WT5. And things will get worse and new expansions add more power to the player. So while it does suck to go backwards, sometimes it's necessary to maintain balance in the game.
Part of the issue people have with the nerfs is classes with the most powerful builds (Rogue, Druid) were pretty much untouched but classes with the weakest (Sorc, Necro) were stuffed & mounted on the Nerfed to Oblivion Wall. They themselves said they didn't balance the nerfs with boosts & didn't explain why they made some changes. Diablo is hard to balance but it's also apparently hard to have lots of stash tabs, a mount that is less frustrating than (insert sports team here) or have actual functioning resists (while adding more resist based stuff that just doesn't work).

I am running a Minion + Bone Spear Necro, level 67 in S1 & running WT4. It's not that hard until I hit a Poison/Fire/Lightning Enchanted elite and all my minions get turned to dust. In WT3 FIre Enchanted can nuke them, all they need is a way to survive more than a couple of seconds but that's too "powerful" according to Blizzard. I have a Sorc @ 52 waiting on the 1.1.1 update to push from WT3 to WT4.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have a Sorc in S1WT3 Level 51 and have been holding off waiting for the next patch to fix my class. Having to run 3 defenses or even 4 on my skill bar is stupid. I want to use multiple offense skills instead.
Ranger and Druid seem to be the only two classes worth playing this season and druid only gets really good after 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathReborn

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Like I posted before, I spend more time watching D4 drama than actually playing it. I haven't even launched D4 even before the controversial patch.

Blizzard is now hiring numerous lead designers since the patch backlash:

I think the prob goes deeper than the patch. It was just boring from the release.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Like I posted before, I spend more time watching D4 drama than actually playing it. I haven't even launched D4 even before the controversial patch.

Blizzard is now hiring numerous lead designers since the patch backlash:

I think the prob goes deeper than the patch. It was just boring from the release.
It is funny you link an Asmongold video who keeps playing the game on stream while complaining about it. Sure he could be farming the drama, but that hasn't stopped him from dropping a game cold in the past. He stopped playing Immortal very quickly and was quick to call the game bad.

Personally, I find it to be entertaining enough, with plenty of problems, but I disagree with all the drama claiming it is an awful game.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Somehow I feel like people don't know that it's ok to beat a game and call it a day.

Like, why does there need to be 4 world tiers? Or 5? Or 20?

You cleared the biggest, baddest boss in the game? On the highest possible difficulty? Congrats, you beat the game! Every last bit of it! You did the thing! It's ok to move on to something else now.

Reactions: RPD and Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Personally, I find it to be entertaining enough, with plenty of problems, but I disagree with all the drama claiming it is an awful game.
I see.

Yeah kudos to you for enjoying D4.

I'm not some rabid fan or anti-fan. I loved D1 and D2. I played D2 way too much I think. D3 was average. D4 I just couldn't finish it.

I launched D2R to see if it's nostalgia. Nope. The epic itemizations are truly amazing. The loot system of D4 is just boring, similar to D3.

Story is so boring oh man. The Act Man youtuber drew a comparison of epic drama and dialogue in D2 (when that dude gives the soul stone to Baal thinking he's Tyrael).

D4 is full of just lazy narration. That main friend of his just narrate everything lazily. I could literally feel that they were squeezed for time.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I see.

Yeah kudos to you for enjoying D4.

I'm not some rabid fan or anti-fan. I loved D1 and D2. I played D2 way too much I think. D3 was average. D4 I just couldn't finish it.

I launched D2R to see if it's nostalgia. Nope. The epic itemizations are truly amazing. The loot system of D4 is just boring, similar to D3.

Story is so boring oh man. The Act Man youtuber drew a comparison of epic drama and dialogue in D2 (when that dude gives the soul stone to Baal thinking he's Tyrael).

D4 is full of just lazy narration. That main friend of his just narrate everything lazily. I could literally feel that they were squeezed for time.
You are not able to see where the campaign story is heading?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I played through the story once, and started a second playthrough with a different class. I got about half way through the campaign and found it really boring. I might finish the second playthrough, but not much more. Once I finish the campaign, grinding for loot just doesnt appeal to me.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I played through the story once, and started a second playthrough with a different class. I got about half way through the campaign and found it really boring. I might finish the second playthrough, but not much more. Once I finish the campaign, grinding for loot just doesnt appeal to me.
I never understood the endgame grind either

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Do you mean just in general or for this game? D4's endgame loop is identical to a lot of other arpg. It just doesn't have the content variety to keep it interesting. This time next summer the game will be a lot better. After the qol and seasonal content patches bring it up to what it should have been on release.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
From what I've been reading, there was a highly anticipated live event in Korea for D4 but only a handful of people even showed up. There were a few people saying that they paid for the cheapest nosebleed seats but were asked to move into the seats behind the host just so it wouldn't look empty on TV and after those few seats were filled, the rest of the stadium was empty with dubbed applause and cheering.

A few of the pictures that weren't just Korean twitter screenshots.

Reactions: Ranulf

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Do you mean just in general or for this game? D4's endgame loop is identical to a lot of other arpg. It just doesn't have the content variety to keep it interesting. This time next summer the game will be a lot better. After the qol and seasonal content patches bring it up to what it should have been on release.
in general

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
From what I've been reading, there was a highly anticipated live event in Korea for D4 but only a handful of people even showed up. There were a few people saying that they paid for the cheapest nosebleed seats but were asked to move into the seats behind the host just so it wouldn't look empty on TV and after those few seats were filled, the rest of the stadium was empty with dubbed applause and cheering.

A few of the pictures that weren't just Korean twitter screenshots.
Also another controversy this week that Overwatch characters had their ages listed in the game. Turns out the ages don't even match their previous lore. They can't even get their own writing right. The whole point of OW2 was an extensive single-player campaign. Well turns out OW2 isn't that different (sure meta changed, that's it), but it came with a full monetization system of shops and selling previously free and old skins for $20~.

OW2's gameplay is fine today, but they're sabotaging all of their IPs.

Diablo 4 = ugh
OW2 = currently THE lowest scored game on steam when they monetized while cancelling single player.
Warcraft 3 reforged = Remember this industry-wide failure of delivery?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Also another controversy this week that Overwatch characters had their ages listed in the game. Turns out the ages don't even match their previous lore. They can't even get their own writing right. The whole point of OW2 was an extensive single-player campaign. Well turns out OW2 isn't that different (sure meta changed, that's it), but it came with a full monetization system of shops and selling previously free and old skins for $20~.

OW2's gameplay is fine today, but they're sabotaging all of their IPs.

Diablo 4 = ugh
OW2 = currently THE lowest scored game on steam when they monetized while cancelling single player.
Warcraft 3 reforged = Remember this industry-wide failure of delivery?
I will say diablo 2 resurrected was on sale for under 10 bucks and I have enjoyed that. Otherwise blizzard is a complete disaster right now.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I will say diablo 2 resurrected was on sale for under 10 bucks and I have enjoyed that. Otherwise blizzard is a complete disastor right now.
D2R is amazing. So sad and makes sense to find out the game was not built by them, it was outsourced to a third party.

Reactions: BudAshes

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You are not able to see where the campaign story is heading?
Not sure where I said I didn't. It just got boring and I simply couldn't care less. I stopped at Act 1.

I never thought as someone who couldn't get enough clicks in when playing D1 to D3, can't finish D4 campaign. Who cares about the lack of end game when I'm just bored of slogging through from the start throughout the brown/beign map.

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Can't disagree with that, they ruined the social aspect of the franchise. I found myself rushing though campaign to get to season.

Season does have more than campaign though. Except social.

Reactions: Zeze

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not sure where I said I didn't. It just got boring and I simply couldn't care less. I stopped at Act 1.

I never thought as someone who couldn't get enough clicks in when playing D1 to D3, can't finish D4 campaign. Who cares about the lack of end game when I'm just bored of slogging through from the start throughout the brown/beign map.
Not surprised. You started the thread by railing against blizzard and the game months before it launched lol. I think you ruined the game for yourself before it even launched.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Not surprised. You started the thread by railing against blizzard and the game months before it launched lol. I think you ruined the game for yourself before it even launched.
Better that than it being ruined by the bad mechanics, design & systems in D4.