I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Been playing since Thursday night and still in Act 3. I really want to unlock that horse, but I still havent been able to yet. :confused_old:

Edit: Finally got it at end of Act 3/ start of Act 4, but man they make you go through 3 huge areas on foot before the mount becomes available. I think once you have it, its unlocked for all characters though. Guess I should check.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Did they take away full screen mode? Running windows full screen my screen saver keeps coming on during times of no movement or during cutscenes if I don't move the mouse or controller.

Relaxasaurus

Feb 19, 2010
Had to dust off my old Battle.net login for this. Just saw the min requirements and guess it's time to upgrade my 2008 machine >_<

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
This game is brilliant so far. A buddy and I are running through it now and having a blast.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
was about to buy it on PC but no WASD? fuck that noise. you can apparently bind a movement key and then just point in that direction and press it vs constantly clicking, but that's annoying.

it's controller or bust for me, but then it's all about auto aim.

oy. first world problems.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It definitely works better with controller. I'm using an Xbox controller and initially I played the server slam with keyboard and mouse. I was never more confused with the PC keybinds.

Random menus would pop up when I would hit keys near wasd, etc. You would need to hold the mouse constantly while trying to go somewhere.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
been playing this almost 100% on controller and it works great, with the amount i have been playing it's really helping me cut down on cts/elbow/should pain that i usually get from too much mouse/trackball usage

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
was about to buy it on PC but no WASD? fuck that noise. you can apparently bind a movement key and then just point in that direction and press it vs constantly clicking, but that's annoying.

it's controller or bust for me, but then it's all about auto aim.

oy. first world problems.
Has there ever been an ARPG like Diablo that supported WASD? I think I've played every single one out there and I can't recall a single one that didn't have you move the character with the mouse. Also, I never understood why so many Diablo players back in the day claimed you needed to buy multiple mice just to play the game. You don't have to click a thousand times just to leave the first area - you can simply click and hold and move your cursor around then click on individual enemies or Shift + Click to auto-attack in place. Hell, some games even updated that mechanic to allow for your character to auto-attack anything within range without letting go of left click.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I am playing a lot, but the game is starting to get repetitive. There are a huge number of quests and dungeons to clear, but they all seem to become the same after a while.

Overall, it is fun, but a couple of things are extremely frustrating. Most awful is the lack of hot keys. There is a huge number of powers invest points into, but only 7 total hot keys. Obviously limited by being designed for a controller. However, it is very frustrating for keyboard use. It is especially bad playing as a necromancer. 2 hotkeys are tied up with the summoning icons for skeletons and the golem (either die instantly if the icon from the hotkey spot is removed). 2 more are tied up for the basic attack and primary upgraded attack. (right and left mouse buttons, but they still also take up a hot key). That leaves only 3 keys for spells or powers. An awful, very limiting, design for this day and age. Secondly is the very limited number of health potions and total lack of mana potions. The health potion usage is particularly clumsy. You can only equip 5 in the beginning. Potions drop during battle, but they also seem to disappear. So that means you have to heal in the middle of a battle, even if you still have a lot of health, so that you can pick up another potion.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I plan on getting this but I'm going to wait until x-mas or just after. I want to give them time to flush out the end game.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I plan on getting this but I'm going to wait until x-mas or just after. I want to give them time to flush out the end game.

Yeah, the more I read the more I'm not super impressed. Certainly not $70 worth. Last time with D3, I lasted a month, beat the game twice in normal with two classes and then promptly forgot it existed for a year or two.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
lmao , people have confirmed that a cellar full of cows exists via packet injection but the quest probably isn’t implemented

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
So I ended up buying this yesterday. I play with 3 other people in various games including D3. All of us were going to wait then 1 person ended up buying it. Not a big deal but then another one got it because his wife bought it for him for Father's Day. Then next person played the well they have it so I may as well get it card. Which just left me and I caved.

I have a few hours into it right now so I don't have an opinion on most things but I already don't like the level scaled mobs, like I assumed I wouldn't. I feel it removes one of the reasons I enjoy ARPG to begin with.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
@rstrohkirch Once you get to level 50 and jump in tier 3, then monsters won't be scaled to you. You will have to complete the tier 2 capstone dungeon to unlock tier 3.

World Tier 1 = easy mode
World Tier 2 = Normal mode

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I ended up beating the campaign and going through some of the dungeons / favors. This game isn't for me, it's just boring. I may still play a little with my friends if they do some endgame but that's all. I caught myself writing out quite a long list of reasons of why I don't like the game in its current state. But I don't think anyone really cares to read all of that so I deleted it. =]

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I ended up beating the campaign and going through some of the dungeons / favors. This game isn't for me, it's just boring. I may still play a little with my friends if they do some endgame but that's all. I caught myself writing out quite a long list of reasons of why I don't like the game in it's current state. But I don't think anyone really cares to read all of that so I deleted it. =]

POE 2.0 here we come! :)

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I ended up beating the campaign and going through some of the dungeons / favors. This game isn't for me, it's just boring. I may still play a little with my friends if they do some endgame but that's all. I caught myself writing out quite a long list of reasons of why I don't like the game in its current state. But I don't think anyone really cares to read all of that so I deleted it. =]

Seeing more people post things like this. Matches my fear from time in the betas and why I waited.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Season 1 patch is pretty hmmm. They put a decent amount of slow down to character progression without an real class adjustments or end game content. I'm curious what their player retention will be after a week or two of the season start.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Season 1 patch is pretty hmmm. They put a decent amount of slow down to character progression without an real class adjustments or end game content. I'm curious what their player retention will be after a week or two of the season start.

Seeing lots of complaints on the forums and in youtube videos. Nerfs all around tends to make everyone unhappy. Definately glad I waited on this one.

Reactions: Ns1

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Guessing they made adjustments for the season mechanics. Too bad it screws over your eternal characters. I am on the fence until we see how the season mechanics work.

Reactions: Ranulf

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
It seems to me that they made adjustments to slow down progression because many people hit 100 faster than expected. They even made it so you can't do your capstone dungeons until a specific level. I did capstone to T3 at L46 solo and capstone to T4 at 57. I did this to help level up faster but now we wont be able to as each capstone is locked to L50 and L70. That alone sucks. Then they killed Hell Tides IMO. Last night I started a T4 hell tide, killed about 30 beasties and got all of 3 cinders for my effort. And raising the mystery chest to 250 cinders from 175, along with the new cinder drop rate. Screw that. Ill not do a HT again until thats fixed. Now Im lucky to get even one mystery chest in the hour given. Anyways, I dig this game a lot but this patch has killed it for me. Im not saying I wont play but I will take a break.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I just wanted to add for those that care.

I was so disappointed with D4, I couldn't even finish it. It's just boring. I couldn't even finish the campaign. I think I have more fun watching youtubers/reaction videos about the latest D4 patch failure or something.

Reactions: Ranulf

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm totally on the fence now with D4. The game is just so broken and they don't seem to care about fixing it quickly. Being a long time POE player the thing I dig about D4 over POE is the story. IMO it was done much better but I look forward to POE2 while I quickly lose interest in the D4 dev team.