I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
FML the queue's on this guy makes me worried about launch date.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
FML the queue's on this guy makes me worried about launch date.

We all know the number of servers Blizzard can spool up is finite. Plus, it takes so long to wind down unused servers that it makes it really expensive to keep them running.

/s

Years of server virtualization and cloud hosting management, I get it. They are too cheap. Even if they did want to self host, for launch they could easily pick a handful of cloud hosting partners and for the first week or three flex out to them and then make decisions based on player count.

Silly, right?

Don’t say “because beta” - these are *exactly* the the types of technologies they should be testing in beta with real user loads. The game logic itself should be pretty baked, it’s the infrastructure to hold up under the tsunami that is being tested as well.

Reactions: Thump553

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Looks fine to me.
There will be cosmetics that you can buy, but supposedly nothing that will affect actual gameplay.
Well, I, for one, can't wait for the early access. Downloads are live tomorrow, and EA starts on Friday. Been enjoying Season 28 on D3 right now. Still, it's likely that the servers will melt on opening day, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. Just so long as I can get my wolf pup.
Welp, it was fun while it lasted (all of 5 minutes before I got DC'd and stuck in a queue). Luckily, refunds are automated. Will wait for a sale.
It has nothing to do with being a beta. Launch will be exactly the same, and almost certainly worse. Everyone knew the servers would be overloaded, and will be overloaded come launch day. Blizzard certainly knows, but doesn't care. They sold as many copies as they could knowing full well that a large percentage of the players won't be able to play. It's no different than a stadium selling as many tickets as possible to an event, knowing that they sold beyond the seating capacity, and telling those unfortunate enough to not get in "too bad, now get lost."
You are deluding yourself if you think launch day will be smooth. Their servers can't handle the number of players that will log in on opening day.
So the wolf pup is all that matters to you.
You were gung ho until Friday, now you are saying "welp refunds"

Who is Deluded?

BTW every single time I tried logging in, didn't take longer than to piss or goto fridge for a drink. Maybe you shouldn't try and be first into game while congestion is high.
Just a thought.

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This sounds like New World all over again. Sad
well, their launch day was crazy but that doesnt matter cuz they lost so many players over a long time. They started with 913 thousand and ended with 26 thousand. Thats peak by the way.
Meanwhile WoW still has a daily average of 2.3 million.

Until somebody comes up with something that is a true World of Warcraft killer, we are not going to see a lot of change or innovation in the MMO community. Shame because of the potential.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
well, their launch day was crazy but that doesnt matter cuz they lost so many players over a long time. They started with 913 thousand and ended with 26 thousand. Thats peak by the way.
Meanwhile WoW still has a daily average of 2.3 million.

Until somebody comes up with something that is a true World of Warcraft killer, we are not going to see a lot of change or innovation in the MMO community. Shame because of the potential.
I quit New World because trying to get on a server became impossible most days. This was after it was out about a month.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Who is Deluded?
I wasn't deluded. I was hopeful that they learned their lesson from D3 and D2R, but wasn't particularly surprised that things melted. I had a strong suspicion that it would happen exactly how things played out. So I'm disappointed but not particularly angry or upset. And I have no doubt that the start of the live game will be similarly bad. That is why I got a refund.

I did play enough to tell me that this game is decent but not too different to D3 for me to be willing to wait for a sale. Likely come Black Friday it will be 50% off. I can wait.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well getting to 25 level cap is not too difficult.
getting past the intended fireblock at level 25 is the hard part if you want to play it steam rolled without usage of brain cells.

Last edited:

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I had Diablo 2 (and LoD) as well as Diablo 3 (+ Warcraft 3) and had over 1400 hours on my main char in Diablo 3 ... until Blizzard decided to ban me, accusing me of using "automated program" ...

Since i dislike being falsely accused, i took steps ...

- used a box cutter to destroy all the CDs / DVDs of EVERY BLIZZARD GAME i had
- used a hammer to destroy the authenticator for Diablo 3
- used scissors to cut the Warcraft 3 themed mouse pad i had

A while later, they sent me an email trying to entice me to purchase Overwatch, IIRC ... i don't recall exactly what i replied ... though i wasn't "very cordial" ... but i do recall i ended my reply with "NEVER contact me AGAIN".

Looked for alternatives in the same genre, ending up choosing Grim Dawn.

Feb 4, 2009
I had Diablo 2 (and LoD) as well as Diablo 3 (+ Warcraft 3) and had over 1400 hours on my main char in Diablo 3 ... until Blizzard decided to ban me, accusing me of using "automated program" ...

A while later, they sent me an email trying to entice me to purchase Overwatch, IIRC ... i don't recall exactly what i replied ... though i wasn't "very cordial" ... but i do recall i ended my reply with "NEVER contact me AGAIN".

Hey that sucks, I want to point out destroying something after you bought it just deprives you if it.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Hey that sucks, I want to point out destroying something after you bought it just deprives you if it.

I was banned, remember?

I don't like to be falsely accused of something, and i tend to react "rather poorly" when it happens ...

Still, having that happen got me in to Grim Dawn, which IMO is a much better game than Diablo 3, so that's a plus ...

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I watched some streams of the beta.

The gameplay looked very simple and straightforward, with very few active abilities to manage.
The world looked good graphically, and I think they tamed the oversaturation of effects to a reasonable level.
The combat looked extremely easy.

I just don't think I would be drawn into a game that is only every threatening if I'm paying no attention. They went back to the darker theme, which is good, at least.
Is this just the way games are now? I watched some POE and it looked interesting for the build diversity, and at end game it was somewhat of a challenge I guess. But why play through a 30-40 hour game to 'beat' the story and get to endgame if you are completely bored with the game because of a lack of challenge before then? Then spend thousands of hours grinding for loot? Why, if nothing is threatening by then?

I want to feel challenged. I want to feel my character constantly at risk if I have bad positioning, lack of attention, or bad build choices. Then making it to end game is interesting, and finding the loot to feel strong even against the game's most challenging bosses is exciting.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
-After the French didn't support the US invasion of Iraq I bought a bunch of French wine and drank it.

That'll show... someone.
Was it at least the good stuff?

Also, I think I found a new kink in that I thoroughly enjoy visiting threads about new anticipated games and watching everyone jump in the game on day one only to act surprised that there's complications on launch day. It's somehow cathartic watching people throw wads of cash at companies that regularly let them down only to realize that they've been let down yet again.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It's somehow cathartic watching people throw wads of cash at companies that regularly let them down only to realize that they've been let down yet again.

- It really is something to see the same cycle play out again and again and again.

Just... wait! Not even that long either, just wait a goddamn month for the initial patches to drop and the crowd to dissipate and your experience will be so much better... but no gotta have everything now now now.

Or maybe you'll discover that the game is a steaming pile and you won't buy it at all.

*Rubs Nipples* and then make sure you come to the internet to bitch and moan about your disappointment afterward.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

I had a friend who passed away probably during the mid D3 period, anyway he had gifted me Grim Dawn, I played it with him for a bit before he passed.

How is the game in current state? Back when I played it was still not in release status.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
How is the game in current state? Back when I played it was still not in release status.

Crate (the game company) keeps making improvements here and there, despite the game being 9 years old: they added "Crucible" (a DLC) + "Ashes of Malmouth" and "Forgotten Gods" (2 expansions).

Here's the link to their site: https://www.grimdawn.com/

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I’m finally about to finish Act V of D3, and it’s taken years to get the motivation to actually finish the story.

My necromancer has plowed through everything regardless of difficulty setting.

It’s absurd that the main story has to be such a boring slog.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Last I heard Blizzard had embraced pure evil, has anything changed?

Apparently not:
Blizzard is still fighting it out to preserve their rape the intern workplace moral system:

and maintain their close links to the Trump administration:

So if you hate democracy and would like to support the people who are working to overthrow the lawful, legal, and elected government of the United States of America, buy and play blizzard games. I didn't create the shit world, I just live in it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Thump553 and DooKey

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
D4 beta is 85gb. wtf?
like, how are games so goddamn comically large? am i going crazy?