I Fought For....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
I think the motto "We survived Bush. You will survive Obama." is apropos. The good news, OP, is that you almost certainly have nearly five more years of this to look forward to - at least it will give you something to talk about.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Naturally when you have called the President of the United States This Fool, Bobo, the Post turtle enough times, it's not too far down the road where you can begin to think of yourself are the Commander in Chief.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Is moonbeams porch the equivalent of oldsmoboats basement?

If that is meant to be me, you have not seen my basement. It's great. There are two bedrooms, a full bathroom (shower, not tub), a laundry room, a game room (that's where I have my computer, and a TV room with a 55 inch HDTV, two couches and two large chairs for watching the TV. (FOX is on right now.) Oh, yes, and a treadmill for when I think about exercising.

What has he got for a porch? I really like rocking chairs.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Does your basement have a giant well in the middle of it? Do you have a wicker basket attached to a piece of rope with a bottle of lotion in it?

Just asking.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Hey! We live in the goddamn UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and this is a FREE country! I can ask these questions and there isn't a goddamn thing you can do about it!

:p

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Does your basement have a giant well in the middle of it? Do you have a wicker basket attached to a piece of rope with a bottle of lotion in it?

Just asking.

Oh that's just mean.
I don't think Buffalo Bill's a good fit for flower mound at all. Def more of a DNA-throwing ancillary character...

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Hey! We live in the goddamn UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and this is a FREE country! I can ask these questions and there isn't a goddamn thing you can do about it!

:p

Yes, we do and yes, you have every right to ask anything you wish, however, if I have no idea what you are talking about, how can I answer?

Thus the ........WTFO?

p.s., It is NOT the "goddamn" United States of America. You a member of Rev Wright's church?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
We do not swear an oath to follow His orders unconditionally. Do re-read the oaths.

I swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States.

It's been awhile since I took military oaths but I seem to recall the President being mentioned in one and not the other. I took two oaths ... one upon enlistment and the other upon being commissioned. I don't think they have changed.

I have said in one post above that when you swear an oath to defend the Constitution you include all parts of it including Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1.
That is the power of the executive... IF you're in the military then the President is the boss and you effect HIS authority... He don't carry the guns or pilot the river craft I do... I do it on behalf of him and the authority the Constitution gives him.

Being a coward and all I'd never ever ever do any hard stuff on my own behalf... The UCMJ forced me to act out of character... on behalf of our president and the people.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
It's been awhile since I took military oaths but I seem to recall the President being mentioned in one and not the other. I took two oaths ... one upon enlistment and the other upon being commissioned. I don't think they have changed.

I have said in one post above that when you swear an oath to defend the Constitution you include all parts of it including Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1.
That is the power of the executive... IF you're in the military then the President is the boss and you effect HIS authority... He don't carry the guns or pilot the river craft I do... I do it on behalf of him and the authority the Constitution gives him.

That's too bad. I, for one, spent all those years in the Marine Corps on behalf of We the People and their Constitution.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
That's too bad. I, for one, spent all those years in the Marine Corps on behalf of We the People and their Constitution.

OK... that is a reasonable motivation and you've the right to opine any way you wish assuming you're not in the military atm... a fellow Marine of yours just got kicked out for comments about the President.

My point is, however... You did not do what ever you did based on your own authority to do it... you did it under the umbrella of the President's authority... You can't go willy nilly over to Vietnam and shoot up the place cuz you think it is a good idea... ... Well, you may do so but with out the right and authority to do it.

I'm not sure who the ultimate beneficiaries might be for all the nifty wars we've seen but supposing it is the 'we the people' Obama is one of them there people and it is not unreasonable for someone to claim 'on my behalf' it is a very warm and endearing term... to proclaim thanks for the effort of so many for the one... if there only be one who is thankful it is he...

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
OK... that is a reasonable motivation and you've the right to opine any way you wish assuming you're not in the military atm... a fellow Marine of yours just got kicked out for comments about the President.

My point is, however... You did not do what ever you did based on your own authority to do it... you did it under the umbrella of the President's authority... You can't go willy nilly over to Vietnam and shoot up the place cuz you think it is a good idea... ... Well, you may do so but with out the right and authority to do it.

I'm not sure who the ultimate beneficiaries might be for all the nifty wars we've seen but supposing it is the 'we the people' Obama is one of them there people and it is not unreasonable for someone to claim 'on my behalf' it is a very warm and endearing term... to proclaim thanks for the effort of so many for the one... if there only be one who is thankful it is he...

...and neither did the President. He, LBJ, had to get permission from the Congress in the name of We the People to send me there.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
...and neither did the President. He, LBJ, had to get permission from the Congress in the name of We the People to send me there.

Right! The people via the Congress provided a Resolution "Gulf of Tonkin", Not a declaration of war. It seems to me 55000 of us died But Congress didn't send us... Johnson did and did so under the authority the Constitution gave him...

You, no doubt, find it repugnant to link Johnson into the effort and consider that you did a dang thing for him but you did... he was the ultimate boss... The CiC of the whole lot of us. No matter the rank we have someone above us who we 'work' for until you get to where the buck stops...
He, the president, also did or does what he does for 'we the people'. It is the people who gave him the authority by electing him... at that point he's the boss of the military and you execute his orders. You fire your weapon as a representative of the President who has the authority delegated to you via his chain of command.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Right! The people via the Congress provided a Resolution "Gulf of Tonkin", Not a declaration of war. It seems to me 55000 of us died But Congress didn't send us... Johnson did and did so under the authority the Constitution gave him...

It was in fact a resolution to use military force. It was an authorization of war.

The reason there are over 55,000 names on a wall is because LBJ was an idiot and decided he and McNamara knew more than the Joint chiefs of Staff.

You might want to read the story told by LtGen Charles G. Cooper, USMC (Ret). I'm sure you can find it on the net. It's out there. Read it.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It was in fact a resolution to use military force. It was an authorization of war.

The reason there are over 55,000 names on a wall is because LBJ was an idiot and decided he and McNamara knew more than the Joint chiefs of Staff.

You might want to read the story told by LtGen Charles G. Cooper, USMC (Ret). I'm sure you can find it on the net. It's out there. Read it.

You are talking to somebody who has learned more than you can possibly imagine.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
You said previously that you swore an oath to the constitution and not to the President. You then say you served in Vietnam and followed the orders of two idiots who didn't listen to their advisers and didn't get a declaration of war from Congress.

So is this whole thread you being bitter about the Vietnam war (and rightly so) or about Obama making his statement?

I think most of us would appreciate where you're coming from if your fear is that soldiers repeat the mistakes of Vietnam and follow a fool blindly into war rather than us following the Constitution, making legal declarations of War, and only fighting wars that are worth it.