I Fought For....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Yes and no.

Did both of those two publish an auto-biography early in life before they did anything to set out a road map? That is the comparison. If you think I am comparing this Fool to the historical atrocities of Hitler then you have a major problem.

You're the one who chose to make such an asinine comparison. The only (arbitrarily-capitalized) "Fool" in this thread is you.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yes and no.

Did both of those two publish an auto-biography early in life before they did anything to set out a road map? That is the comparison. If you think I am comparing this Fool to the historical atrocities of Hitler then you have a major problem.

Someone has a problem, but I don't think its ichy.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Hitler's overriding characteristic was his insane nationalism, murdering millions, and attempting to enslave the world to his Aryan philosophy. Yes, there are some similarities with Obama, but no comparison to Hitler can ever be valid unless it's to another powerful psychopath such as Stalin or Pol Pot because this behavior overwhelmingly overshadowed everything else he was or did. Similar if somewhat less apparent comparisons were made of Bush and Hitler, but it's like saying someone is like Charles Manson because he plays the guitar, or claiming that an elephant is like a snake because of its trunk. While one can find similarities with Hitler in many people, these are so incidental compared to Hitler's noteworthy characteristics as to detract from one's argument rather than enhance it. Always.

Everyone knows this.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Hitler's overriding characteristic was his insane nationalism, murdering millions, and attempting to enslave the world to his Aryan philosophy. Yes, there are some similarities with Obama, but no comparison to Hitler can ever be valid unless it's to another powerful psychopath such as Stalin or Pol Pot because this behavior overwhelmingly overshadowed everything else he was or did. Similar if somewhat less apparent comparisons were made of Bush and Hitler, but it's like saying someone is like Charles Manson because he plays the guitar, or claiming that an elephant is like a snake because of its trunk. While one can find similarities with Hitler in many people, these are so incidental compared to Hitler's noteworthy characteristics as to detract from one's argument rather than enhance it. Always.

Everyone knows this.

You are correct. Thanks.

I should have mentioned this Fool, Bobo, the Post Turtle's, incredible pathological narcissism, and NOT made any comparison to anyone else.

Lessen learned.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
When I heard him say that my jaw dropped in one of the many "did he really just say what I think he said" moments with Obama. He just doesn't surprise me anymore. A complete disgrace. He said what he meant, this was no mistake, he honestly thinks they fight for him/his behalf.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The only people that take his comment the way the OP did are already so far into the jackwagon nutjob fringe that they would take anything POTUS did and turn it into a negative.

Yep, and there's spidey. Right on cue. Prosecution rests your honor.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Well gee, I never served so you probably don't want my opinion but, what the hell.

Most people with saw the interview knew what he meant. The fact that he misspoke doesn't mean a damn thing. I'll go way out on a limb and say that most forum members have misspoke in thread replies and probably in their non-AT conversations as well.

But taking offense at the statement to the level you are; seriously, seek counseling.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
When I heard him say that my jaw dropped in one of the many "did he really just say what I think he said" moments with Obama. He just doesn't surprise me anymore. A complete disgrace. He said what he meant, this was no mistake, he honestly thinks they fight for him/his behalf.

He doesn't surprise you anymore but your jaw dropped? You can't even remain lucid enough to make it from one sentence to the next.

http://www.abilify.com There is help available.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
tumblr_lnx6407PZD1qmxw1lo1_500.jpg

hate on hater

Lol

Feb 6, 2007
I've used the phrase "fighting on my behalf" to refer to the servicemen and women in the armed services. Did I do it under the delusional belief that I personally sent them on a mission speficially for my benefit? Of course not. It's a phrase used to describe the idea that the rights and ideals we hold so dear in America are being defended by those brave people in the Armed Forces and we should thank them for their service; they do it on behalf of every American citizen. Talk about much ado about nothing.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
NO! Really it is not!

Watch out folks. He's getting mad; you can tell because it's his response is bolded and in a larger font size. You're gonna blast a hole through the basement ceiling if you're not careful.

Seriously though, it's not worth getting worked up about. You've misspoken at times yourself; no ones upset with you. At least not any of us.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Well gee, I never served so you probably don't want my opinion but, what the hell.

Most people with saw the interview knew what he meant. The fact that he misspoke doesn't mean a damn thing. I'll go way out on a limb and say that most forum members have misspoke in thread replies and probably in their non-AT conversations as well.

But taking offense at the statement to the level you are; seriously, seek counseling.

I don't even think he misspoke. He is commander in chief. Our forces do fight on his behalf.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I don't even think he misspoke. He is commander in chief. Our forces do fight on his behalf.

I don't think he misspoke either. It's just that the OP is truly constructing a mountain out of an anthill.

And I am ever grateful to our service members for fighting on my/our behalf.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
We really need to do better at giving old people something to occupy their time with. Old people and politics never mix well.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
We really need to do better at giving old people something to occupy their time with. Old people and politics never mix well.

There is always coffee down at the local Waffle House.

I think he is just mad because the CnCs that he happened to fight under were liars and crooks. :awe:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Watch out folks. He's getting mad; you can tell because it's his response is bolded and in a larger font size. You're gonna blast a hole through the basement ceiling if you're not careful.

Seriously though, it's not worth getting worked up about. You've misspoken at times yourself; no ones upset with you. At least not any of us.

That wasn't an indicator of me getting mad. It was me trying to continue a theme by being humorously exaggerated.

Why would anyone get mad or even upset over what is posted on the internet?

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
There is always coffee down at the local Waffle House.

I think he is just mad because the CnCs that he happened to fight under were liars and crooks. :awe:

Let's see:

LBJ
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan

Of that list I would agree that two were major mistakes. One was a world class liar and crook. The other was just totally incompetent. Those would be LBJ and Carter.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The Democrat Party would beg to differ, as witnessed by their screaming every election cycle that Republicans are going to steal their Social Security and Medicare. Even when the Democrats are actively looting those funds, they make those accusations.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
It was an unfortunate choice of words, but technically true. The military fights on behalf of all of us, including Obama.

I'd say that as Commander in Chief the Military fights under his command...
When one takes the oath to (...) defend the Constitution (...) then you include Article 2, section 2, clause 1 as well... You can't pick and choose what portions of Constitution you'd defend, obey and etc as someone seems to think you can.