I Fought For....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
When I heard him say that my jaw dropped in one of the many "did he really just say what I think he said" moments with Obama. He just doesn't surprise me anymore. A complete disgrace. He said what he meant, this was no mistake, he honestly thinks they fight for him/his behalf.

That is, of course, just your opinion, and you must have figured out by now that most people here find your opinions rather suspect.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd say that as Commander in Chief the Military fights under his command...
When one takes the oath to (...) defend the Constitution (...) then you include Article 2, section 2, clause 1 as well... You can't pick and choose what portions of Constitution you'd defend, obey and etc as someone seems to think you can.
"Under my command" != "on my behalf".

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
true, but no one, not one single individual took an oath of loyalty to the President of the United States.

Gee I thought they did:

(a) Enlistment Oath.— Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:
"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think Obama is a son of a bitch, HOWEVER, he's done plenty of things in office. Not necessarily stuff I like, but he's done them.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Hint: when your only support is from the voices in spidey's head, you may want to reconsider your thesis.

1972-1976, Peace was my Profession.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Ever since I saw the first instance of some conservative "independently" coming up with this complaint about Obama's speech, I've honestly been trying to consider their point of view. And no matter how hard I think about it, I can't see any reason that a reasonable person objectively looking at what Obama said would find something to get pissed off about.

His statement is completely accurate. The military fights on behalf of Obama just as they fight on behalf of all Americans (and quite a few non-Americans around the world). He didn't say they ONLY fight on his behalf. And it actually reads more like Obama acknowledging the service those in uniform offer, if you ask me.

I don't know, I guess you really have to want it to read anything bad into what Obama said. Which might explain why the complaining about it mainly seems to come from people who are DEEPLY anti-Obama to begin with. And it might be worth asking if the best way to honor military service is using it as a prop to attack the Commander in Chief...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Ever since I saw the first instance of some conservative "independently" coming up with this complaint about Obama's speech, I've honestly been trying to consider their point of view. And no matter how hard I think about it, I can't see any reason that a reasonable person objectively looking at what Obama said would find something to get pissed off about.

His statement is completely accurate. The military fights on behalf of Obama just as they fight on behalf of all Americans (and quite a few non-Americans around the world). He didn't say they ONLY fight on his behalf. And it actually reads more like Obama acknowledging the service those in uniform offer, if you ask me.

I don't know, I guess you really have to want it to read anything bad into what Obama said. Which might explain why the complaining about it mainly seems to come from people who are DEEPLY anti-Obama to begin with. And it might be worth asking if the best way to honor military service is using it as a prop to attack the Commander in Chief...

This

USAF Officer 1978-1980 Active
-1993 Reserves

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Just curious in regard to the OP questing the post of one of the responders ... must you have served in the military to have your opinion on this matter be taken seriously, or deemed relevant?

Feb 6, 2007

This. I was gauging my reaction to how I would have approached this if Bush had said it instead of Obama... and it's still a non-issue. I would openly mock anyone who picked on Bush had he used these exact words, and I will openly mock anyone who picks on Obama for these words. It's a silly thing to nitpick over.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That is, of course, just your opinion, and you must have figured out by now that most people here find your opinions rather suspect.

And this is a very isolated far left forum on P&N. All over the intarweb he is getting skewered by his "misspeak".

If it wasn't a constant pattern from him Americans could let it slide. He is no king. He has no clothes.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Just curious in regard to the OP questing the post of one of the responders ... must you have served in the military to have your opinion on this matter be taken seriously, or deemed relevant?

From the OP, YES!

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
This. I was gauging my reaction to how I would have approached this if Bush had said it instead of Obama... and it's still a non-issue. I would openly mock anyone who picked on Bush had he used these exact words, and I will openly mock anyone who picks on Obama for these words. It's a silly thing to nitpick over.

Ah, but it is not a silly thing.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
And this is a very isolated far left forum on P&N. All over the intarweb he is getting skewered by his "misspeak".

If it wasn't a constant pattern from him Americans could let it slide. He is no king. He has no clothes.

From your perspective that's exactly true.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You see Obama with no clothes? I think I know what that means.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

This!!! We all know the Op is very anti-Obama to start out with!!

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Do you believe that the opinion of ex-service men and women mean more than those that haven't served?

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Do you believe that the opinion of ex-service men and women mean more than those that haven't served?

His type will also quickly shove aside opinions from veterans if it doesn't match with his viewpoint. Most of the people I served with had little to no opinion in politics while the rest split about 50/50. Some of my most vocally liberal friends are vets and I consider myself to be a left leaning moderate.

The conservatives seem to think they have a monopoly on the military. That just isn't the case. Just look at the recent thread about donations between Obama, Paul, and Romney.

Again, this whole thing is a non-issue except to those looking to pick a fight over words. Even with as much as I disliked Bush and his abuse of the military I couldn't have faulted him for making a similar statement.