I Don't Know If Joe Can Do It

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I hadn't thought about the potential for this to backfire on Republicans. I'm certainly not counting on it, but there would be a tremendous irony if GOP voters in contentious districts complained about the difficulty of voting and wound up with a low turnout.
Every year, some percentage of people who were going to vote on election day don't for I've reason or another. That is why Dems push early voting so much, one long work meeting doesn't keep you from voting. I read an article the other day that method of voting used to be nearly even between parties, but this year there is a net 34 percentage more Dems doing mail/early than Republicans.

Think of what that means if a hurricane hits the FL pan handle on November 3.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Every year, some percentage of people who were going to vote on election day don't for I've reason or another. That is why Dems push early voting so much, one long work meeting doesn't keep you from voting. I read an article the other day that method of voting used to be nearly even between parties, but this year there is a net 34 percentage more Dems doing mail/early than Republicans.

Think of what that means if a hurricane hits the FL pan handle on November 3.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to a hurricane, but yes... if something keeps Republican voters from showing up in person, that could be a huge blow.

I don't think the Republicans engaging in voter suppression fully understood that they'd end up motivating the Democrat base. Then again, they also hadn't previously dealt with a President who openly admitted that he wanted to hold back mail-in voting to rig the election.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Trump is all over the place today, Biden and Harris are taking time off. I don’t know folks..... This is looking more and more like 2016 all over again. And the media is focusing on those Trump rallies and trying to scare people about the virus. Well for one thing, Trump supporters don’t care about the risks from this virus. No doubt they assume if they get the Covid they will have access to the same treatment as Trump and Chris Christie got. Just imagine, Donald Trump re-elected and Amy Barrett on the Supreme Court. Pleasant dreams Democrats....

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
And 97% in Travis county (Home of the blueberry that is Austin).

Those figures are truly astounding, especially when you consider the last presidential election we had approximately 58% of the eligible voters actually vote. I know registration is different from actually voting, but unless you live in a large city located in a red state registration is usually the harder part of the process.

It is heartening to see evidence that the citizenship is waking up-before the noble experiment that is the USA is terminated.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
And we were told of the massive Hispanic support for Hillary Clinton, which never happened. Higher voter registration should not give Democrats any peace of mind. None what so ever.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Those figures are truly astounding, especially when you consider the last presidential election we had approximately 58% of the eligible voters actually vote. I know registration is different from actually voting, but unless you live in a large city located in a red state registration is usually the harder part of the process.

It is heartening to see evidence that the citizenship is waking up-before the noble experiment that is the USA is terminated.

As of yesterday, over 21% of registered voters in Travis County have already voted, with a record number turning out on Friday. The numbers truly are astounding.

Not sure how many voted today, there were only 25 or so in line at my local polling place when I went this afternoon.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And we were told of the massive Hispanic support for Hillary Clinton, which never happened. Higher voter registration should not give Democrats any peace of mind. None what so ever.

I'll lay down a marker that he does better with hispanics in 2020 than he did in 2016. Not a ton better but slightly.

What stands to burn him down is the suburban vote who thought they were just in for a mostly regular R presidency and especially women who he makes absolutely white hot with rage.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Devil’s advocate I guess, but when a president gets his Supreme Court nominee passed, and recovers from the Covid, and campaigns like a 20 year old, that looks like a winner to onlookers. Voters like winners. Just saying.... All I can say is hope for the best (Joe Biden president elect), but prepare for a unimaginable nightmare.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Devil’s advocate I guess, but when a president gets his Supreme Court nominee passed, and recovers from the Covid, and campaigns like a 20 year old, that looks like a winner to onlookers. Voters like winners. Just saying.... All I can say is hope for the best (Joe Biden president elect), but prepare for a unimaginable nightmare.

This is his argument but voters through polling don't seem to be buying most of it. Their opinions of him and his job performance remain quite low.

Also give me his steroid regimen I'll run the godamned Preakness.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

When he endangers public safety & the lives of many thousands of rally goers all over the country he looks like a desperately deranged psychopath.

Reactions: pmv

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I still don't trust *ANY* polling out of NC/SC/GA/FL/TX. My heart has hope, but brain is full of nope.

That said, it's amazing watching Trump have to waste time and money throwing rally's in fucking Georgia.

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I still don't trust *ANY* polling out of NC/SC/GA/FL/TX. My heart has hope, but brain is full of nope.

That said, it's amazing watching Trump have to waste time and money throwing rally's in fucking Georgia.

He's almost exclusively rallying in states he won in 16 so it is entirely a defensive campaign. I'm old enough to remember earlier this year his campaign thought it would put New Mexico and Oregon into contention.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I suspect any Biden win will be close, but it is fascinating to think that there is a dream scenario where he wins "safe" GOP states and hands Trump such a resounding defeat that he can't hope to contest it (not that he won't try).

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Biden will for sure win the popular vote by about 5-6million. The margin should lead to a landslide in the electoral college but probably won’t.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Biden will for sure win the popular vote by about 5-6million. The margin should lead to a landslide in the electoral college but probably won’t.
I'm not so sure, the way things are structured now the difference between 'Biden loses' and 'Biden wins in a huge landslide' are fairly narrow in terms of total votes.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Trump won Florida by 113,000 votes in 2016. Over 300k votes went to thirds party/write ins. 200k of those third party went to Gary Johnson.

If that shifts even a small amount with Seniors to Biden & PA stays in line with polling...it could setup one hell of a rout. Florida is a perennial dumpster fire, so I have little faith. But...it could happen.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've also been appreciating "Fauci Unchained" the last few days. He's grown increasingly more comfortable and consistent in his slamming of the administration.

I think Trump knows he doesn't win the head to head in favorability there if he lashes out on a tweet. If he tries to go toe to toe with Fauci in person, the Doc will hand him his ass. And Fauci has basically emboldened himself saying "I'll be here in 4 years and you won't. Please not try to kill everyone on your way out."

It's quite a timeline when a President is in a food fight with one of the most respected infectious disease doctors while in the middle of a fucking pandemic.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
15 days to go. Over 10 points down. The president attacking the most respected medical figure in the country and not his political opponent.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 1.28.08 PM.png

Reactions: Zorba

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Fauci was on 60 Minutes last night and (IMO) did a great, articulate interview. He gave masterful and clear, two or three sentence explanations on things like why he was initially against the public wearing masks, why they are so essential right now, how the Trump campaign misrepresented his quote they used in their recent campaign ad, etc. It also pointed out he has a 24 hr security protection detail assigned to him now because of death threats, and there are also threats against himself and his children.

Trump has no chance at all at convincing any but his party faithful that Fauci is a disaster. Frankly from the people I've spoken to, nearly all-including Trump fans-think Trump is the disaster on Covid response and his recently unhinged tactics (like herd mentality/immunity) are even more unacceptable.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Very calm very normal very winning things happening with our large orange president who is by his own claim easily taking the election

Remember when the president calling for the media and his political opponents to be imprisoned would be a big news story?

As Jonathan Chait mentioned, the media is actually incredibly biased in Trump's favor. Think of all the things he gets away with daily that they don't even bother to report on which would be considered extinction level scandals for any other president.