I Don't Know If Joe Can Do It

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
You confuse growing block with systemically guaranteed advantage.

The majority *do not* want this. But because of our archaic electoral college, overinflated value of senate representation of low population states and local fuckery of voting access the majority is not heard.

We have minority rule.

Whatever, sure. It's both. It's still all legal though, agree with it or not.

Just have to accept that is what voting is likely to usher in.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Wonder if Biden could mandate companies to not raise prices during this time? There’s one thing to cover excess costs for more frequent cleaning and PPE. It’s a totally different thing in the price gouging by the gas companies and used car dealerships. But supply and demand they’ll argue. But with record profits being earned, it’s not like restaurants just trying to get ends to meet.
Yea, it's become a feeding frenzy, Co's are just raising prices right now because of minimal customer chances of singling them out, inflation is everywhere they'll say.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
You’re right, inflation has remained higher longer than I thought it would.

It doesn’t change the fact that on the point relevant to this thread you said Biden was doomed in 2020 right up until he crushed Trump. Upon seeing you were wrong you then…decided he was doomed in 2024.
Those are two separate arguments. Mainly I was pointing out that you refuse to accept reality at times when looking at politics. I dont recall saying that I thought Biden was "doomed". However, I will stick by my contention that the Dems are in for a very rough 2022 mid term and 2024 presidential election.

BTW, Biden has "done it" to the extent of getting elected. His poll numbers though, certainly dont show that he as "done it" to the extent of gaining (or even keeping) broad support.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Those are two separate arguments. Mainly I was pointing out that you refuse to accept reality at times when looking at politics. I dont recall saying that I thought Biden was "doomed". However, I will stick by my contention that the Dems are in for a very rough 2022 mid term and 2024 presidential election.

BTW, Biden has "done it" to the extent of getting elected. His poll numbers though, certainly dont show that he as "done it" to the extent of gaining (or even keeping) broad support.
This thread was literally about the probability of him getting elected.

As for 2024, people predicting doom for the democrats then are simply out of touch with reality themselves. It is simply not possible to reliably predict election results that far out. For example at about this time in 1993 Bill Clinton was widely viewed as doomed.

I have no idea what will happen in 2024 and that is the only rational answer.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

regardless he could still beat Trump...muhahahahaaaaaa

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
This thread was literally about the probability of him getting elected.

As for 2024, people predicting doom for the democrats then are simply out of touch with reality themselves. It is simply not possible to reliably predict election results that far out. For example at about this time in 1993 Bill Clinton was widely viewed as doomed.

I have no idea what will happen in 2024 and that is the only rational answer.
Clinton had about 10x the charisma and speaking ability of Biden. Not even a close comparison.
I will give you however, that it is too soon to tell about 2024. Trump does seem to be losing some support among republicans, and none of the other candidates (DeSantis, Abbot, whoever) are very appealing. I think the Democrats also need to be very concerned about the possibility of Republicans simply overturning the election if both the House and Senate go strongly Republican in the mid terms. They are also stacking local election positions and making it much easier to overturn electors in a lot of states.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yea, it's become a feeding frenzy, Co's are just raising prices right now because of minimal customer chances of singling them out, inflation is everywhere they'll say.
It's supply/demand. If people have alternatives to buying Company X's product (whose price has gone up 7%), then Company X's balance sheet is going to suffer. Now there is collusion, cartel type action but a free marketplace works against that.

There's no doubt that supply chain issues are in large part behind the inflation we're seeing. If the pandemic subsides all in all (I think it will) inflation will resolve by and by.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Biden's ratings are in freefall, especially with independents and he has even lost some progressive support. He is probably even less popular than Trump.

How this will correlate to actual voting patterns remains to be seen, but we saw how the Bernie Bros were willing to sink Hillary if they didn't get everything on their wishlist and I suspect progressives will do the same again in 2024.
Ratings don't necessarily translate to election results, witness Trump in the White House.

Also, it's not written in stone that Biden will win out as the Democratic candidate. Democrats are in disarray but not to the extent that the GOP is.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Ratings don't necessarily translate to election results, witness Trump in the White House.

Also, it's not written in stone that Biden will win out as the Democratic candidate. Democrats are in disarray but not to the extent that the GOP is.
I actually thought Kamala would do a good job as VP, Biden would decline to run again, and Kamala would make a good candidate in 2024. Doesn't seem to be working out that way though: she is even more unpopular than Biden. Unfortunately, no one else in the Democratic party has stepped up. I thought mayor Pete might, since he has a cabinet position, but he has stayed in the background. Corey Booker and even Amy Klobuchar would be much more attractive to me than Biden, but Amy has her own baggage. I just would like to see somebody not in their 70s inject some fresh blood into the party.

Reactions: gothuevos

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I actually thought Kamala would do a good job as VP, Biden would decline to run again, and Kamala would make a good candidate in 2024. Doesn't seem to be working out that way though: she is even more unpopular than Biden. Unfortunately, no one else in the Democratic party has stepped up. I thought mayor Pete might, since he has a cabinet position, but he has stayed in the background. Corey Booker and even Amy Klobuchar would be much more attractive to me than Biden, but Amy has her own baggage. I just would like to see somebody not in their 70s inject some fresh blood into the party.
Can't argue with that at all, but I think it's way too early to expect whomever to emerge. There could be some surprises coming.

Reactions: gothuevos

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Can't argue with that at all, but I think it's way too early to expect whomever to emerge. There could be some surprises coming.
Agreed. Maybe someone will emerge close to the election, this giving the Repubs less time to attack them.

Reactions: Muse

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
As mentioned earlier in this thread Biden's current lead is about SEVEN times larger than Clinton's at this time in 2016 or even Obama's in 2012. That's a lot! It also exceeds the largest margin Clinton led Trump by at any time where the nominees were both settled. It doesn't mean he must win, but he's currently around tied for the largest lead Obama ever had in the polls, even in 2008.

Democrats went with the nominee who consistently outpolled every other potential Democratic nominee against Trump. While he might not be the favorite of people on here (myself included) that's most likely an electoral strength. Our votes against Trump are in the bag and Biden has proven consistently more popular than other Democrats at getting the votes of people who aren't in the bag. That's the benefit to Biden, maybe we don't get all the changes we want (or need!) but he's probably the strongest against Trump 1 on 1.
Although, I think the Big Lie was all pre-planned, I think the fact that all these Pubs won in districts Trump lost led some of those deep thinkers on the conservative side that something was wrong with the numbers. They could have just taken the simplest tact. Which is that most people hated the Orange Turd and still do.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Although, I think the Big Lie was all pre-planned, I think the fact that all these Pubs won in districts Trump lost led some of those deep thinkers on the conservative side that something was wrong with the numbers. They could have just taken the simplest tact. Which is that most people hated the Orange Turd and still do.
Yup, how did congress members get 5,000 or even 25,000 more votes than what the orange monkey got on the SAME BALLOT!!!!!!! Yup Dems are geniuses and hacked only part of the ballot

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo