How will/should the Democrats attack Palin?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
She helps McCain with the females and arch-conservatives. But she has serious baggages as you've just mentioned. Worse, with Russia absorbing those two breakaway regions, I can't imagine a mother of five being aggressive towards a nation like that and them taking her seriously. She's no Margaret Thather or Golda Meir. Worse, she has zero economic opinion other than drilling and breast pumps.

This was a huge gamble on McCain's part.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
I love the smell of desperation in the morning ;) The dems don't have a good avenue of attack, and they know it.
You basing that assumption on this forum? Only a fool would take what's posted here seriously.Take your post for instance.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Sounds like your stereotypical Republican to me. Republicans should be very happy that they chose her to run as VP.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Madwand1
Obama-Biden commend McCain's VP pick

(CNN) ? Touring a bio-diesel plant in Monaca, Pennyslvania Friday afternoon, Barack Obama and Joe Biden reacted to news that the opposing ticket is now complete, complimenting McCain for choosing a woman but saying Sarah Palin just mirrors the Arizona senator?s policies.

?I'm sure that she will help make the case for the Republicans,? said Obama to reporters accompanying him on the tour. ?Unfortunately, the case is more of the same. And so ultimately John McCain is at top of the ticket.?

?As I indicated in my speech last night, I think that he wants to take the country in the wrong direction,? he added. ?I'm assuming Governor Palin agrees with him in his policies.?

Obama called Palin ?a compelling person? with a terrific personal story and said that her nomination next week is one more indicator that the country is moving forward.

?I think [it] is one more hit against that glass ceiling and I congratulate her and look forward to a vigorous debate,? said Obama. ?I'm pleased with my choice for vice president Joe Biden. I think he's the man who can help me guide this country in a better direction and help working families."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Once again, Obama demonstrates some class and good sense in this.

The only problem is that they said this after their initial negative statement about being mayor of a small town blah blah blah ...

Even the video of BHO mumbling through (how sad, no TeleprompTer) his praise of the JSM's pick came off as pretty lame and insincere.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
I love the smell of desperation in the morning ;) The dems don't have a good avenue of attack, and they know it.
You basing that assumption on this forum? Only a fool would take what's posted here seriously.Take your post for instance.

Double, double, troll and trouble...;)

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The brother-in-law thing won't be settled until after the election and will be a drag on the campaign, fair or not. I don't get this choice at all.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Even the video of BHO mumbling through (how sad, no TeleprompTer) his praise of the JSM's pick came off as pretty lame and insincere.

And how do you think focusing on the periphery like this makes you look?

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Have Hillary do it. If Obama so much as questions her policies its sexist because people are fundamentally stupid.

I'm sure Senator Clinton would be more than happy to attack another woman as she tries to break through the glass ceiling. After all, she owes it to Obama and his supporters for the fair treatment she got and for allowing her a place in Obama's party.

CNN) ? Hillary Clinton praised the historic nature of John McCain's vice presidential selection in a brief statement released Friday that was eagerly anticipated by both presidential campaigns.

?We should all be proud of Governor Sarah Palin's historic nomination, and I congratulate her and Senator McCain," Clinton, the first woman to win a presidential primary, said in the statement. "While their policies would take America in the wrong direction, Governor Palin will add an important new voice to the debate.?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: RY62
Have Hillary do it. If Obama so much as questions her policies its sexist because people are fundamentally stupid.

I'm sure Senator Clinton would be more than happy to attack another woman as she tries to break through the glass ceiling. After all, she owes it to Obama and his supporters for the fair treatment she got and for allowing her a place in Obama's party.

CNN) ? Hillary Clinton praised the historic nature of John McCain's vice presidential selection in a brief statement released Friday that was eagerly anticipated by both presidential campaigns.

?We should all be proud of Governor Sarah Palin's historic nomination, and I congratulate her and Senator McCain," Clinton, the first woman to win a presidential primary, said in the statement. "While their policies would take America in the wrong direction, Governor Palin will add an important new voice to the debate.?

Hillary will definitely attack her, big time. There are only really two options for Hillary right now, the optimistic and the cynical. If you are optimistic then Hillary will attack Palin because she knows that the best way to enact the policies she cares about is to elect Obama. If you are cynical then Hillary will still attack Palin, but do so slightly less. In this second case she would be hoping for an Obama loss so she can run again in 2012. The thing is, if she is viewed as costing Obama the election, or of not trying to get him elected in order to further her own ambition, she will have completely ruined her chances for the future. It would be a balancing act.

Either way, look for Hillary to trash Palin.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Hillary will definitely attack her, big time. There are only really two options for Hillary right now, the optimistic and the cynical. If you are optimistic then Hillary will attack Palin because she knows that the best way to enact the policies she cares about is to elect Obama. If you are cynical then Hillary will still attack Palin, but do so slightly less. In this second case she would be hoping for an Obama loss so she can run again in 2012. The thing is, if she is viewed as costing Obama the election, or of not trying to get him elected in order to further her own ambition, she will have completely ruined her chances for the future. It would be a balancing act.

Either way, look for Hillary to trash Palin.

Only the seriously addicted Kool-Aid sippers would view Senator Clinton as costing Obama the election. Senator and President Clinton have done more, in the past week, to push Obama's polling numbers than his own campaign has done in the past 3 months. Win or lose, it's up tp him and the voters now.

The sad thing is that the Dem party still hasn't realized the terrible mistake of trashing their most qualified candidate while pushing Obama to soon. If this had been a Clinton/Obama ticket there wouldn't even be a contest right now, or for the next 16 years.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Only the seriously addicted Kool-Aid sippers would view Senator Clinton as costing Obama the election. Senator and President Clinton have done more, in the past week, to push Obama's polling numbers than his own campaign has done in the past 3 months. Win or lose, it's up tp him and the voters now.

The sad thing is that the Dem party still hasn't realized the terrible mistake of trashing their most qualified candidate while pushing Obama to soon. If this had been a Clinton/Obama ticket there wouldn't even be a contest right now, or for the next 16 years.

I really have no interest in rehashing the old arguments, they're over. Hillary lost fair and square.

If Hillary and Bill were to disappear right now and not campaign for Obama (which certainly involves attacking the opposing ticket) they would be viewed as not supporting the nominee. This would destroy Hillary's future in presidential politics. Hence, either Hillary will attack McCain/Palin out of genuine support for her ideals, or she will attack them slightly less out of an attempt to appear supportive of her party.

Those are the only two options that allow her a future in this way, and she clearly wants that.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
IMHO, the Democrats, and Senator Obama in particular, should refrain from any direct attacks on Governor Palin, since her greatest weakness (lack of experience) was the linchpin of the McCain attacks on the Obama campaign. Senator Obama should instead congratulate Senator McCain on recognizing (implicitly, through his vice-presidential selection) that intelligence and good judgment are more important qualifications for the executive than conventional Washington experience.

Only the seriously addicted Kool-Aid sippers would view Senator Clinton as costing Obama the election. Senator and President Clinton have done more, in the past week, to push Obama's polling numbers than his own campaign has done in the past 3 months. Win or lose, it's up to him and the voters now.
The sad thing is that the Dem party still hasn't realized the terrible mistake of trashing their most qualified candidate while pushing Obama too soon. If this had been a Clinton/Obama ticket there wouldn't even be a contest right now, or for the next 16 years.
The Clintons' damage to the Obama campaign was wrought in the Democratic primaries and caucuses. There is truth in the cliche, "you can't unring a bell". Everything the Clintons said about Senator Obama will be rehashed by McCain surrogates (likely not by Senator McCain himself) and rerun in commercials.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I really have no interest in rehashing the old arguments, they're over. Hillary lost fair and square.

If Hillary and Bill were to disappear right now and not campaign for Obama (which certainly involves attacking the opposing ticket) they would be viewed as not supporting the nominee. This would destroy Hillary's future in presidential politics. Hence, either Hillary will attack McCain/Palin out of genuine support for her ideals, or she will attack them slightly less out of an attempt to appear supportive of her party.

Those are the only two options that allow her a future in this way, and she clearly wants that.

It's not quite that simple. The party is very divided. Today it's the Obama party. When he loses, I believe that's all going to come crashing down. I think there's going to be a big shake up, a huge power struggle, and shifting alliances. After an Obama loss, I'd put my money on the Clinton side before the side with Obama, Pelosi, Dean, etc.

Time will tell. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. :laugh:

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
The Clintons' damage to the Obama campaign was wrought in the Democratic primaries and caucuses. There is truth in the cliche, "you can't unring a bell". Everything the Clintons said about Senator Obama will be rehashed by McCain surrogates (likely not by Senator McCain himself) and rerun in commercials.

If he could be fatally damaged, by the Clinton's, in the primary, would he have survived the RNC onslaught in the general? If anything, the primary battle exposed the weakness of the candidate and gave him time to prepare for the real battle.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
How should they attack?. Well, start with this.

Governor Sarah Palin today responded to the energy plan put forward by the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

?I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska?s natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs,? Governor Palin said. ?The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs.?

?We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home,? Governor Palin said. ?This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board.?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
Sounds like your stereotypical Republican to me.

You sound a lot like Crazy Dave when you talk like that. :thumbsup:
And you sound like you hit your head..Ooops

Dang gramps, you sure are clever.
Thanks. Now how about actually commenting on a topic instead of going from thread to thread just attacking members. You don't have to be serious or even give your post much thought but just try to comment on the topic if you are capable of it.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Sounds like your stereotypical Republican to me.

You sound a lot like Crazy Dave when you talk like that. :thumbsup:
And you sound like you hit your head..Ooops

Dang gramps, you sure are clever.
Thanks.

anytime

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

If he could be fatally damaged, by the Clinton's, in the primary, would he have survived the RNC onslaught in the general? If anything, the primary battle exposed the weakness of the candidate and gave him time to prepare for the real battle.

Attacks made by your "friends" are always more damaging than those made by your enemies. They use the Clintons' words against Senator Obama because the same words from a Republican source would be seen as traditional partisan attacks; they are far more effective coming from a Democrat.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: owensdj
I don't think the Democrats need to attack her. They just need to let the voters keep wondering, "Sarah who??"

I agree with this.

The close we get to the election the more American voters are going to shy away from Palin.

No need to attack her, just let her speak her mind. She is about as conservative as they come, the conservative voting block isn't going to win the election.

The undecided/independant voting block is going to win this election. Palin does nothing for that group. And when she is put on the spotlight and laid bare in front of the media everyone is going to see this.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: owensdj
I don't think the Democrats need to attack her. They just need to let the voters keep wondering, "Sarah who??"

I agree with this.

The close we get to the election the more American voters are going to shy away from Palin.

No need to attack her, just let her speak her mind. She is about as conservative as they come, the conservative voting block isn't going to win the election.

The undecided/independant voting block is going to win this election. Palin does nothing for that group. And when she is put on the spotlight and laid bare in front of the media everyone is going to see this.
Maybe just emphasize the difference in their political philosophies.