House set to begin formal impeachment hearings

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Diehard R's have their heads so far up the party's a$$ that their confirmation biases are too strong to be overcome by in your face evidence. This is why they resist education so much as they'd cut their own throats by enlightening their drones.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well it is clear you guys have not learned a single thing in the past 40 years.

There are Democratic presidential candidates that I would vote for. Biden is not one of them. Please don’t make the same mistake that you made in 2016, and pick another presidential candidate with a ton of baggage!

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Mar 11, 2004
I swear to God if one more liberal on this board suggests that Mitt Romney has any integrity I'm going to blow my fucking brains out. And Kasich?! I know Trump has lowered the bar but can we please remain just a little bit grounded in reality?

Where the fuck is this Romney shit even coming from? Its like all of a sudden a bunch of shit about "save us Romney, you're our only hope" like WTF? Then again its the same stupidity that had people willfully blinding themselves to how much McCain was like Turmp and was absolutely not the fine upstanding Republican that he's somehow managed to spin his Maverick bullshit persona into.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
There are Democratic presidential candidates that I would vote for. Biden is not one of them. Please don’t make the same mistake that you made in 2016, and pick another presidential candidate with a ton of baggage!

Or what? You'll vote or indirectly vote for trump? Lol

Mar 11, 2004

So it comes down to Turmp or Biden you'll go Turmp?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Where the fuck is this Romney shit even coming from? Its like all of a sudden a bunch of shit about "save us Romney, you're our only hope" like WTF? Then again its the same stupidity that had people willfully blinding themselves to how much McCain was like Turmp and was absolutely not the fine upstanding Republican that he's somehow managed to spin his Maverick bullshit persona into.

Romney was on of the few Republicans that spoke out about what the president did as "troubling".
He may be a Republican but at least he's not in the cult.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So it comes down to Turmp or Biden you'll go Turmp?

My crystal ball is a bit fuzzy right now, and I’m not sure if we’ll have Trump or Biden on the ballet by the tail end of 2020. If these impeachment hearings actually gain some traction, Trump might decide not to run for a second term and we’ll have a very different election landscape.

Mar 11, 2004
Romney was on of the few Republicans that spoke out about what the president did as "troubling".

Bullshit. He's enabled it all the same. Stop being a fool. Did you forget him basically doing everything but literally bending his knee and swearing fealty to Turmp after Turmp won?

Which, for someone speaking out I sure as shit don't hear much from him. He bitched about Turmp leading up to the election then practically begged him for a job. Then after one of Turmp's particularly heinous idiotic moments he said it was bad (but I think even then he stopped short of calling Turmp bad). Otherwise he's basically been enabling Turmp and the Republicans.

Like I said, exact same fucking bullshit blindness that people had with regards to McCain. Stop falling for this complete sham facade of respectability. If you don't, we're just going to keep getting the same fucking bullshit, or worse, we'll go back to people blinding themselves to their behavior because they're not raging lunatic assholes like Turmp is.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

troubling is pushing boundaries, but we're so far beyond any normal presidential boundaries. I wouldn't give Romney too much credit, unless he denounced trump right off the bat (I don't recall). You don't get credit when you fold like a beach chair a la Ted Cruz IMO.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
My crystal ball is a bit fuzzy right now, and I’m not sure if we’ll have Trump or Biden on the ballet by the tail end of 2020. If these impeachment hearings actually gain some traction, Trump might decide not to run for a second term and we’ll have a very different election landscape.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but part of me is thinking if the White House released this info, they have actually done much worse since they lie about everything so why should we believe em at what they want us to think the damage is limited to?

Mar 11, 2004

Maybe you should get them waxed then?

There's zero chance Turmp doesn't run again. Sorry, the only way these impeachment proceedings cause that is if it results in Turmp being impeached and booted out of office. Hell, even then I bet he runs again.

Not surprised you didn't bother to answer my question. Have a hunch we're gonna end up with a lot of that behavior with this next election. In which case, America is fucked. No wonder people are fine with a President doing everything he can to prevent any oversight and accountability, they aren't willing to accept any themselves.

Which, I hope neither Turmp nor Biden is on the ballet. I'm using every fiber of my being to not imagine either of them in tutus.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

Romney went on: “[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In this weird fantasy I think she’d be the right person to return stuff to normal. Hardcore republicans would go nuts but her tenure would be short and I could easily imagine her naming a Republican as VP.
Maybe Mitt provided he agreed to not run for President. The two of them go about healing the country. She retires at end of the term and Country starts over again.
I have a better suggestion. Pelosi/Amash. Same agreement Justin can't run for President. JA the only Republican who had the integrity early on to speak out against Trump

Reactions: Fenixgoon

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
lol @ the democrats

"We have him now!!!!" (this is like the millionth time already, and its always failed)

Here are the democrats in 2020:

View attachment 11305
To quote Michael MacDonald, "what a fool believes"
baghdad-bob.jpg

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Romney went on: “[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

You miss missed the point. He's someone who we disagree with, he's not a cult member and he's somewhat grounded in reality. Would I vote for him over a Democrat? Hell no! But I would vote for him if it was between him and trump.

But that's all besides the point as the question was, "were did this Romney talk come from?". I explained why he has entered the conversation.

And btw, no one has asked or hinted at wanting Romney to "save us".

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
First off, I voted for Bernie in the primary in 2016 so I didn't make the mistake you think I made. Secondly, the only one of us that made a mistake is the one who couldn't vote for Hillary in the general.

Regarding whether or not you would vote for Biden, you're like someone eating a dogshit sandwich that refuses to switch to baloney because it isn't filet mignon. But oh look, that rotten pile of garbage over there might have something good to eat in it (Romney).

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You miss missed the point. He's someone who we disagree with, he's not a cult member and he's somewhat grounded in reality. Would I vote for him over a Democrat? Hell no! But I would vote for him if it was between him and trump.

But that's all besides the point as the question was, "were did this Romney talk come from?". I explained why he has entered the conversation.

Not part of the cult, lol. Somebody is forgetting about Romney's magic underwear. It's really easy to say something about Trump. That don't matter when your actions don't match your words. Voting for Romney over Trump is never going to be an option for you. People are talking about voting for Romney over Biden, just more evidence that people have still learned nothing. Just more evidence that if we ever want America to learn anything, Democrats need to get the fuck out of the way for many decades and let the pigs wallow in their own shit instead of rescuing them from the consequences of their own decisions.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have a better suggestion. Pelosi/Amash. Same agreement Justin can't run for President. JA the only Republican who had the integrity early on to speak out against Trump
/facepalm

Get it through your heads now: there is not a single GOP politician on the planet that isn't a diseased-minded piece of shit. So Amash might be the highest quality, most polished piece of shit we know about, he is still a piece of shit. He will vote the wrong way on almost every single issue just like every single other piece of shit.

I don't get it. What the fuck is wrong with people today? Y'all still haven't figured out that what politicians say doesn't mean shit. All that matters is what they do and how they vote. AND THE CRITICAL LEGISLATION THAT THEY STONEWALL.

Reactions: JD50

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
As this goes through the impeachment inquiry, there will be the WH and others who will stonewall
the House's efforts to testify. With cheeto and his cronies, that will be a fact.
This ex-congresswoman, Elizabeth Holtzman from the Judiciary committee, during the Watergate prosecution,
has the right temperament to deal with them and play hardball.

Watergate-era Dem urges party to go after Trump on all fronts
"She continued: “We didn’t just impeach Nixon for a cover-up. We had a many-pronged charge with regard to the cover-up, but then we also had abuses of power, illegal wire tapping, the enemies list, the break-in to Ellsberg’s psychiatrist. This was not one thing, but a president that had gone amuck, and that is what created the danger to democracy.”

The same case can be made with Trump, Holtzman believes, but says that there is work to be done by Congress. “I think the case is very strong at this point, it’s just a question of can they put it together and acquire the additional evidence that needs to be acquired.”

"She is not impressed so far by the questioning of recent witnesses Corey Lewandowski and Joseph Maguire, who she saw as “stonewalling” the House Judiciary and Intelligence committees. Representatives need to “get a lot tougher,” Holtzman said, and use such tools as contempt charges, fines, “warnings that they will draw the most serious adverse inference from refusal to cooperate that they can.” Should all that fail, she added, Democrats in Congress should “get out some fresh sheets, clean out the [detention] room in the Capitol and arrest them.” "

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

It hurts my feelings when you say I missed the point and I get all defensive. I know what you intended, I think, but I like Romney much less than I like Trump. Trump is what he is but Romney isn’t. He’s something else and he gives me the creeps. He reeks of religious certainty and self righteousness. Trump smells more like a common turd. Those make good fertilizer for the garden.