House set to begin formal impeachment hearings

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Regarding Barr, there will be a point in the inquiry that will be recognized as legitimate in the same sense it was in US vs. Nixon.

At that point Barr cannot hide behind Executive Privilege nor any legal excuse as this has already been decided. Assuming that Barr is summoned, he either appears or he is held in contempt of Congress, the courts or both and is subject to arrest and prosecution with the likelihood that any pardon in self-interest will be taken up by a rather unhappy SCOTUS, assuming Barr is stupid as Cohen and others believing that he has a guaranteed pardon.

It's hard to see how Barr isn't in the hot seat in Congress and court with criminal consequences being a very possible outcome. At that point, Barr is open to investigation outside of his connections with Trump proper in a "follow the money" investigation.

Few things could please me more.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I have a feeling they will be looked at. Maybe not released but someone on the Intelligence committee will look at them assuming there is even more to the Ukraine call.

I expect "national security" will be cited to withhold information, but the Intelligence Committee is part of national security and therefore not subject to exclusion. There may need to be a hearing in a SCIF, but that only shoots any claim by the Administration further.

Feb 4, 2009
I expect "national security" will be cited to withhold information, but the Intelligence Committee is part of national security and therefore not subject to exclusion. There may need to be a hearing in a SCIF, but that only shoots any claim by the Administration further.

Yeah that’s pretty much what I expect to happen, except there will be a monumental amount of stone walling from the White House.

Feb 4, 2009
Some Democrats told to stay in DC during the break. Others told be prepared to come back.
The ones told to stay are security cleared for Intelligence data

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Yeah that’s pretty much what I expect to happen, except there will be a monumental amount of stone walling from the White House.

I think your comment about stonewalling is spot on, but then Nixon tried that and once the impeachment process began that was swept aside. Those who resist might find themselves in irons, literal or metaphorical with no place to hide except behind the Fifth.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

There is no limit to what an impeachment inquiry can subpoena. SCOTUS has said that nothing, not executive privilege, not national security, is more important than Congresses ability to effectively impeach a President. They can cite national security all they want, it is no bar to the inquiry.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What Schiff did was to clearly state that what he said was a characterization, which you may or may not agree with. As I said Trump might have taken issue with that, but no way was he that honest. Instead he lies outright and makes a claim that Schiff did not.

But you avoid the issue in front of us under discussion and that is why is the released document so damning and a smoking gun that Trump has to invent that lie to attack Schiff and the facts of the matter?

Here's my characterization: "I hate Schiff so much that I'm going to lie about him and even make myself out to be completely unglued and ignore the truth of what happened in an open forum".

Shiff didn't tweet crazy crap like Trump nor did he represent his statement as a quote. Trump lied, you divert.
Since Trump's own tweet says the punishment for lieing is to resign, does that mean he'll be resigning soon?

Feb 4, 2009
There is no limit to what an impeachment inquiry can subpoena. SCOTUS has said that nothing, not executive privilege, not national security, is more important than Congresses ability to effectively impeach a President. They can cite national security all they want, it is no bar to the inquiry.

Agreed but when the White House says fuck you I'm not handing that over and the Senate won’t vote to impeach what are the next steps?

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Good God, y'all, what is it good for?

That sure did bring back a flood of memories for me.

As an aside, as we all know war makes for one hell of a distraction along with the fact that folks don't like to vote out a sitting president while he/she is managing a full blown war that is *heh* "threatening the very lifeblood of democracy and freedom."

The Iranian leadership knows this. They must be quietly gearing up for Trump's Iranian version of "Bush and Cheney's Excellent Adventure in Baghdad".

Trump is all too familiar with this scam of having folks being mesmerized by shiny sparkling objects as he picks their pockets. In this case those sparkling objects will be tracer rounds, aerial blasts, afterburners being lit up accompanied by the "whoosh" sound of champagne corks being popped by the Repubs.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I know this is sarcasm but what would war accomplish. War to get documents so Moscow Mitch can sit on them?

This is not sarcasm. There comes a point, and we are not that far away from it, where the two parties can no longer operate together at all. Once one party completely stops listening to the other and just ignores the laws and processes of our democracy to keep themselves in power there is no other solution. At that point you have two options: give up on democracy, or fight for it.

We had a civil war once before because the parties came to an impasse where they could not compromise on a divisive issue. It really looks like we are heading that way again. If what you said happens we will be there.

You don't fight to gain documents so that Moscow Mitch can sit on them. You fight to kill Moscow Mitch and all of those that stand with him. In war it is not about who is right. It is about who is left.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
BTW I posted a Chicago Trib article about Trump in a related thread. Trump said out loud that Pence called Ukraine several times so we should look at those calls too.

Pence is not legit to investigate as being possibly complicit with Trump.

A double impeachment is entirely possible.

Mar 11, 2004
BTW I posted a Chicago Trib article about Trump in a related thread. Trump said out loud that Pence called Ukraine several times so we should look at those calls too.

Pence is not legit to investigate as being possibly complicit with Trump.

A double impeachment is entirely possible.

I think that shows that the people guessing that Turmp would resign and have Pence pardon him were giving Turmp far too much credit. I don't think that thought ever entered Turmp's mind, partly because he's a moron, partly because he thinks he's untouchable, and partly because Turmp will burn down anything and everything he can if he goes down.