House set to begin formal impeachment hearings

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Look at the sudden talk about Assad using gas on his people.
Yeah, that is another scary possibility. Trump (along with the GOP) could start a needless war in order to make the claim that we can't afford to weaken the Commander in Chief in these trying times. I can hear their talking points already, 'Yes, we find what Trump did to be alarming, but we think it is more important right now to show a strong front against our enemies than to punish the President for some campaign finance violations'

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think that shows that the people guessing that Turmp would resign and have Pence pardon him were giving Turmp far too much credit. I don't think that thought ever entered Turmp's mind, partly because he's a moron, partly because he thinks he's untouchable, and partly because Turmp will burn down anything and everything he can if he goes down.
As I said in the other thread, this is Trump threatening the GOP. He is signaling to them that they can't trade him in for Pence, because if he is going down he is taking Pence with him and then they get President Pelosi. When Trump feels insecure he starts with the threats, like any good bully.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Yeah, that is another scary possibility. Trump (along with the GOP) could start a needless war in order to make the claim that we can't afford to weaken the Commander in Chief in these trying times. I can hear their talking points already, 'Yes, we find what Trump did to be alarming, but we think it is more important right now to show a strong front against our enemies than to punish the President for some campaign finance violations'
It's their MO over the years when a Republican president needs to deflect in a big way.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Looks like Rudy and Barr will be subpoenaed before the House Intel Committee.

I think US vs. Nixon is coming into play very soon.

Feb 4, 2009
Heard one of those what happens scenarios on the radio.

Apparently the House portion is set in stone as in what happens is vague but how it happens is firm.

The Senate portion isn’t so clear. The commentator was saying if the Senate does nothing it could be read as agreement with the House. Another possible weird angle could be Moscow Mitch decides to change the Senate rules to make it impossible to vote upon.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It's a bit of poetic justice that it's fake news that got Trump into this mess. He must have heard about the investigation in Ukraine and the Biden spin off some alt-right source. Instead of verifying or doing any work he just ran with it. Had he just checked with our own intelligence agencies, he would have been set straight. Though it's possible he was and that's why he tried Ukraine instead.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
America First!

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Did the White House just acknowledge that the perfect Ukraine call transcript was moved to secure system?

Feb 4, 2009
Did the White House just acknowledge that the perfect Ukraine call transcript was moved to secure system?

I think the White House Lawyers said they approved moving them all to the super secure server (appears this happened after the Presidents public bumbles with the Russian Diplomat and the other guy early on)
I don’t believe they explained the reasoning for it. As of now it appears to be a legal thing to do, just sort of shady.
Appears all of his communications are and have been on the super secure server.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
It's a bit of poetic justice that it's fake news that got Trump into this mess. He must have heard about the investigation in Ukraine and the Biden spin off some alt-right source. Instead of verifying or doing any work he just ran with it. Had he just checked with our own intelligence agencies, he would have been set straight. Though it's possible he was and that's why he tried Ukraine instead.

yup, everyone should know the significance of the Russian/alt-right conspiracy that Ukraine, via Crowdstrike, meddled in the 2016 US election and then they pinned the blame on/framed Russia. IE, Russia is completely innocent here.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yes they did, and that is another thing in the whistleblowers report that has been verified.
That also brings us to what I was talking about early. This is a grievous misuse of the classification powers. Now the House has to go into those compartmentalized information servers because the President was trying to hide his communications behind the highest levels of Top Secret classifications.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The subpoenas included a notice that, "Your failure or refusal to comply with the subpoena shall constitute evidence of obstruction of the House’s impeachment inquiry".

I think we're at a point where they've stopped fooling around.

This is a scary tipping point. Trump officials aren't being squirrelly. By and large their approach is to treat everything with contempt. When that starts happening, if Republican media and politicians go all in on that side, the only resolution will be violent.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jan 25, 2011
Mom and dad are fighting over little Donnie.

EFf6GNpWsAARNHR

EFf6GNpWoAACBtp

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah. Smells like a setup at this point. Lobbying for their own network gig together maybe?

They’ve been at it since the President was elected.
Reminds me of the bald guy who advised Bill Clinton, his wife was a conservative columnist or something. They bickered all the time.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
As I said in the other thread, this is Trump threatening the GOP. He is signaling to them that they can't trade him in for Pence, because if he is going down he is taking Pence with him and then they get President Pelosi. When Trump feels insecure he starts with the threats, like any good bully.
That in itself isn't very smart, if in fact, that what the cheeto is thinking.
At least with pence as president, he could be pardoned for his Federal crimes. yes, I know
that cheeto would still have to face the SDNY crimes he probably committed, in that state.

But then, no one ever accused the orange orangutan of having any common sense.