Chastastic

Nov 14, 2016
Hi,

I've recently decided to embark on a quest to build my first gaming pc. This being said, don't think I don't my way around one; I've done quite a bit of research. As it a starter build I've been wondering whether these are good specs to go with, and if I can get more bang for my buck.

Here are the specs I'm planning on going with:

AMD Athlon X4 860k 4ghz quad-core processor
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB
8GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz (two sticks)
250GB SSD (to put my os on)
1TB WesternDigital/Seagate HDD
MSI A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Windows 10 OS
No new PSU is required (I think :\)

When it comes to cases (which I will be needing a new one as I'm basing this whole system off of an old HP dell work case with broken bays) I've been having some trouble. When I go onto PCPartPicker, they say that the case has USB 3.0 headers, but the motherboard does not. Is there a way to work around this? So far I've not been able to find a subtle Red/Black side panel window case that isn't insanely obnoxious as well. Oh, and it needs to be Micro ATX Form Factor also. So as I was saying, can I work around this with a USB hub that will connect to PCIE on the motherboard; or even some kind of adapter for USB 2.0 to USB 3.0? I've got my eye on the Azza Cosmas ATX Mid Tower Case or the Deepcool Tesseract SW Red/Black case. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this front :)

Will these specs be easily upgradable when they become obsolete? Will the motherboard be compatible with newer GPU's when they arrive? Should I consider more RAM? Please keep in mind though that I'm trying to not spend too much on this. Should I consider going the Intel route of CPU's at the moment, what is better for the price it's at? Will these components OC well together?

P.S I'm trying to be able to run most modern-day Triple A titles at a solid 60FPS on high settings. I've been told that this will handle a title like Overwatch at ultra settings at 60FPS. And to those wondering, I know that the motherboard is a bit iffy when it comes to Kaveri CPU's, but as long as they've got FM2+ sockets (like the Athlon does), they're fine.

Charlie

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you want something that won't go out of date too quickly, going AMD is really a gamble. On one hand, they haven't changed sockets in forever, but on the other, they could anounce plans to change tomorrow. You also aren't getting the bang for your buck you used to with them.

Also, while the 950 is a great chip, I think you are going to regreat getting a 2 GB card.

What is your budget? And does that budget include the OS?

Chastastic

Nov 14, 2016
If you want something that won't go out of date too quickly, going AMD is really a gamble. On one hand, they haven't changed sockets in forever, but on the other, they could anounce plans to change tomorrow. You also aren't getting the bang for your buck you used to with them.

Also, while the 950 is a great chip, I think you are going to regreat getting a 2 GB card.

What is your budget? And does that budget include the OS?

Thanks for the reply,

So I checked the AMD thing, and apparently swapping out the socket for a new one can be done. Where is it letting down on the performance side of things for the amount of money I'm paying for it? Why would I regret getting a 2GB card? My budget is about $500AUD but I can go a little over, and no, that does not include the OS which I already have a copy of.

The reason I'm partial to sticking with the Athlon is because according to PCPartPicker, the Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM I'm going with will not be compatible with most Intel CPU's.

Thanks,
Charlie

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am not sure you are following on AMD, and that's ok. Just know that getting something today does not mean it will be upgradeable to anything too much better down the road. One example, is the RAM. The reason that RAM doesn't go Intel is it's DDR3 which has been out for 11 years. Intel has already moved on to DDR4, and it's likely AMD's next generation will do the same, whenever that time comes.

As far as pricing, I can see why you are going the direction you are. Here is a look at what the Intel side would run you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($148.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.50 @ Newegg Australia)
Total: $296.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 12:09 AEDT+1100

The main advantage here is that this will be upgradeable for several years down the road, and support memory that will continue to go down in price, not up (less demand = higher price). And right out of the gate, it's about 50% faster single core and 20% faster multi core than the AMD build.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/3511vs3265

With your budget, it's a tough decision. Is this something you need to do now, or can you afford to wait and put together something a bit faster?

lukart

Oct 27, 2014
I am not sure you are following on AMD, and that's ok. Just know that getting something today does not mean it will be upgradeable to anything too much better down the road. One example, is the RAM. The reason that RAM doesn't go Intel is it's DDR3 which has been out for 11 years. Intel has already moved on to DDR4, and it's likely AMD's next generation will do the same, whenever that time comes.

As far as pricing, I can see why you are going the direction you are. Here is a look at what the Intel side would run you:

Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.50 @ Newegg Australia)
Total: $296.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 12:09 AEDT+1100

The main advantage here is that this will be upgradeable for several years down the road, and support memory that will continue to go down in price, not up (less demand = higher price). And right out of the gate, it's about 50% faster single core and 20% faster multi core than the AMD build.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/3511vs3265

With your budget, it's a tough decision. Is this something you need to do now, or can you afford to wait and put together something a bit faster?

I would agree on this.
Also if you end up going i3, grab the B150 or H170 Hyper series motherboard, it will allow you to overclock your CPU using the BLCK. ;)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I would agree on this.
Also if you end up going i3, grab the B150 or H170 Hyper series motherboard, it will allow you to overclock your CPU using the BLCK. ;)
Good idea. I have heard that these i3's overclock very well.

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
try to increase your budget to 800 you can get a motherboard that will allow to use Skylake,Kaby Lake(Skylake Refresh) and Cannonlake aswell DDR4 RAM , allow overclocking CPU and the RX 460 seems as fast as the 950 and cheaper

Motherboard: ASRock B150 GAMING K4/HYPER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.00 @ Umart)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: HIS Radeon RX 460 2GB iCooler OC Video Card ($159.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Thermaltake VM600M1W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $729.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 09:51 AEDT+1100